test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

Does it matter how someone gets their gear?

tigerspawn1tigerspawn1 Member Posts: 25 Arc User
edited January 2014 in PvE Discussion
I have been playing a lot of PVP lately. The number one complaint that I hear from players is that so and so bought their gear. Then they go on to complain about the fact that this person bought their gear. The fact is the person has better gear than you. It shouldn’t matter if they bought it or not. I would like to hear everyone’s opinion on the matter. If it does matter and you have a legit case convince me. Please no flaming.
Post edited by tigerspawn1 on

Comments

• Options
    charononuscharononus Member Posts: 5,715 Arc User
    edited January 2014
    It means they didn't earn it. It means they haven't put in the time to have skill. There is a reason why people don't like others that do that.
  • Options
    carcassnecrotismcarcassnecrotism Member Posts: 1 Arc User
    edited January 2014
    Imagine you're playing Street Fighter, and you wear someone down to 10% through a nearly flawless game, but they happen to land one fireball and you die immediately.

Now you understand why players who have bought their gear are resented.
  • Options
    iambecks1iambecks1 Member Posts: 4,044 Arc User
    edited January 2014
    I have been playing a lot of PVP lately. The number one complaint that I hear from players is that so and so bought their gear. Then they go on to complain about the fact that this person bought their gear. The fact is the person has better gear than you. It shouldn

From module 3 it shouldn't be an issue since the PvP tenacity gear all has to be earned .

And also if the people complaining about players buying gear are the same players who bought power directly from the cash shop then I wouldn't worry too much , if they are completely F2P players who grind everything then they have a point .
    YourSecretsAreOurSecrets.gif
  • Options
    sockmunkeysockmunkey Member Posts: 4,622 Arc User
    edited January 2014
    charononus wrote: »
    It means they didn't earn it. It means they haven't put in the time to have skill. There is a reason why people don't like others that do that.

This line of thought ignores the possibilty of people earning AD, rather then simply buying it.

I see no difference between someone working for and saving AD to buy gear. Or someone simply running enough dungeons for the RNG gods to bless you with a drop. At least with earning AD, I know im making progress every day. And not simply hoping or counting on luck.
  • Options
    charononuscharononus Member Posts: 5,715 Arc User
    edited January 2014
    sockmunkey wrote: »
    This line of thought ignores the possibilty of people earning AD, rather then simply buying it.

I see no difference between someone working for and saving AD to buy gear. Or someone simply running enough dungeons for the RNG gods to bless you with a drop. At least with earning AD, I know im making progress every day. And not simply hoping or counting on luck.
    I think BoE epics are a bad thing for any game so I will disagree with you on that.
  • Options
    sockmunkeysockmunkey Member Posts: 4,622 Arc User
    edited January 2014
    I think BoE epics are a bad thing for any game so I will disagree with you on that.

And I disagree with the only acceptable and approved way to earn gear equals beating ones self against a random number generator. Getting a lucky drop is not earning it. And having to suffer over and over and over again simply because one isnt getting lucky isnt some badge to be proud of.
  • Options
    eggsneggsn Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users Posts: 69
    edited January 2014

That line of thinking is in my opinion is what makes elitist groups, intentionally or non-intentionally. There are many instances of MMORPGs where people can't even see the last dungeons or high-end dungeons in game, for them to even TRY because they didn't belong in a guild or a guild that can do it. So I do not agree with you that it's a bad thing. Whether or not you are F2P or not, the fact is people who do pay monthly fees on some of these games and NOT see an end dungeon is like paying full for a car and not owning it. We play for fun, and fun usually means you get to see the fantasy world of the game you're playing... ALL of it.

That being said, there are many people in this game who feel it is an accomplishment to farm all the set gears, I am one of them, but in no way do I force that on other people just because I did it.
  • Options
    kuyabaykuyabay Member Posts: 56
    edited January 2014
    If I've killed the boss 5-6 times and I still don't get the set piece, I'm going straight to the ah. Buying gears isn't bad, there's no point imho in running a dungeon 30 times to get a certain drop. Multiply that by the number of alts you have, and you'll see why some people have no qualms about buying gears.
  • Options
    syka08syka08 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited January 2014
    This train of thought is like a lasagna of PAIN. There are so many layers to it, so many thoughts, that you'll discover as you start peeling up the layers to try and find your flavor.

Without going spelunking into this dish, here's my quick 2 cents on it.

This argument also completely ignores the crappy loot tables and RNG in this game. "Oh, sorry. You're a (insert you favorite descriptor here) for buying your gear, even though you've completed the dungeons to get it over 20 times. The game just clearly doesn't think you're epic enough to deserve the gear, and neither do we."

-_-.

Just something to bear in mind the next time. Ask questions before you jump to conclusions.

(and really, if people want to support Cryptic by buying Zen and selling it for AD to buy gear. Good on them in my opinon. Those who earn their AD otherways to buy it, cool beans.)
    contents to be decided
  • Options
    misterlampreymisterlamprey Member Posts: 1 Arc User
    edited January 2014
    How does one determine whether a player has earned their gear through gameplay or the marketplace?
  • Options
    tickdofftickdoff Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited January 2014
    I have 5 lvl 60 toons 4 of them in T2 gear, 1 in T1. While I have spent a decent amount of real world money in this game, none of my cash went to buying gear. I run a LOT of dungeons, gathering AD as I go. I *have* bought some gear for AD, especially if the random number generator decides it does not want me to get a specific piece that I want, namely the Royal Guard chest piece for my HR, but the AD that I used to buy it came from selling some Titan Gloves that I won in Karru.

Additionally, I move a lot of the enchants from my TR (who I don't really like to play) to my HR and even moved the Greater Terror from my GWF to my HR as well. Just because someone has better gear than you do does not mean that they "bought it" in the sense that they were only able to get that gear by spending real money to do so.

The statement of "I could win too if I bought all my gear", which I have seen directed at my HR more than once, implies that I only won because of my gear, and not on the off chance that I was a better player, or that my team was working better than theirs. I am hardly a "pro" PvPer, but I can usually give as well as I get, but even then, sometimes you are the windshield and sometimes you are the bug.
  • Options
    calvin1tagcalvin1tag Member Posts: 322 Arc User
    edited January 2014
    I have 14 toons. over half are in T2 or BiS and over half of that is bought. I just don't have the time to grind out every single piece of gear on every toon. It's a game play how you want and let others do the same I use /ignore in this game more then any other game I've ever played and it's comments like you're hearing in PvP that make it so
  • Options
    bioshrikebioshrike Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 4,729 Arc User
    edited January 2014
    I am all for earning your gear - but having the RNG come up in your favor is not "earning" said gear. I really wish they'd just add all T1 gear to the unicorn seal vendor, and all T2 gear to the drake seal vendor. It can cost a huge number of seals for the best pieces, and I'd assume it'd all be BoP, but at least you'd have a sense of actual progress toward what you want...
    <::::::::::::::)xxxo <::::::::::::::)xxxo <::::::::::::)xxxxxxxx(:::::::::::> oxxx(::::::::::::::> oxxx(::::::::::::::>
    "Is it better to be feared or respected? I say, is it too much to ask for both?" -Tony Stark
    Official NW_Legit_Community Forums
  • Options
    azlanfoxazlanfox Member Posts: 436 Arc User
    edited January 2014
    This argument is the only constant in this game, I wish they could nerf it or at least patch it.
    The fox said, "lock and load"

glassdoor.com - Cryptic Studios Review
  • Options
    tigerspawn1tigerspawn1 Member Posts: 25 Arc User
    edited January 2014
    bioshrike wrote: »
    I really wish they'd just add all T1 gear to the unicorn seal vendor, and all T2 gear to the drake seal vendor. It can cost a huge number of seals for the best pieces, and I'd assume it'd all be BoP, but at least you'd have a sense of actual progress toward what you want...

Being able to buy T1 and T2 from the seal vendor is a good idea. PW could give a player a key after completion of a dungeon. The key would unlock your ability to purchase the gear that is available in that dungeon. A player would only be given one key per completed run and key would be BOP. This would allow characters to be able to get gear they need after a certain number of runs instead of running dungeon 20 times and never getting the item that they need.
  • Options
    dodgododgo Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 870 Arc User
    edited January 2014
    its good for your deflated ego to pay out other teams that they P2W'd when really and in likelyhood they are just better players and geared :P
  • Options
    djarkaandjarkaan Member Posts: 883 Arc User
    edited January 2014

May be they did earn skill to work the AH or to earn AD through other means? Why do you assume because they bought the gear they have no-game related skill? Does this mean you never buy anything on AH as it is tainted with unearnestness? (wow a new word is born)
  • Options
    dodgododgo Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 870 Arc User
    edited January 2014
    he means bought with real world money not AH buys
  • Options
    bioshrikebioshrike Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 4,729 Arc User
    edited January 2014
    Being able to buy T1 and T2 from the seal vendor is a good idea. PW could give a player a key after completion of a dungeon. The key would unlock your ability to purchase the gear that is available in that dungeon. A player would only be given one key per completed run and key would be BOP. This would allow characters to be able to get gear they need after a certain number of runs instead of running dungeon 20 times and never getting the item that they need.

Heck - gate the gear to requiring at least one successful completion of the dungeon to unlock what you can get from it, for the seal vendors. At least then you know the person has experienced the dungeon a minimum of once...
    <::::::::::::::)xxxo <::::::::::::::)xxxo <::::::::::::)xxxxxxxx(:::::::::::> oxxx(::::::::::::::> oxxx(::::::::::::::>
    "Is it better to be feared or respected? I say, is it too much to ask for both?" -Tony Stark
    Official NW_Legit_Community Forums
  • Options
    lexusorlexusor Member Posts: 32
    edited January 2014
    This is a perspective from a casual F2P player:

Honestly, it really doesn't matter how a specific player obtains his gear, because if he can, why can't you?

And saw someone mentioning about the need of earning gears. Sorry, people have lives to care about.

In PvP sometimes there'll be those players in full BiS gears and whatever else. It's cool, just let em own the lower geared toons, it's not like they're gonna lose anything anyway other than time, and they get one match of PvP done for their dailies, yay!

And if certain people keep whining about people paying real life currency to obtain their gears, then MMORPG games aren't suited for them, so they should either play some Solo games for self satisfaction or MOBA games for fair competition.
  • Options
    jorifice1jorifice1 Member Posts: 1,042 Arc User
    edited January 2014
    What I really don't understand is the gating of the highest levels of gear exclusively around PvE Dungeons. Personally, I would like to see that caliber gear awarded through PvP Glory (so the Guildless PvP players can grind up some of it) and through single player Dungeons (like the two Modules). With PvP Glory, no additional restrictions need apply other than a high Cost. With Solo Content there needs to be a Difficulty Slider much like Champions Online has for their Adventure Packs and Comic Series. Only the most difficult levels would drop Currency redeemable for BoP T2 Gear. There should be an equivalent difficulty in running one of these dungeons alone and participating in an Epic multiplayer Dungeon.

'Wen considered the nature of time and understood that the universe is, instant by instant, recreated anew. Therefore, he understood, there is in truth no past, only a memory of the past. Blink your eyes, and the world you see next did not exist when you closed them. Therefore, he said, the only appropriate state of the mind is surprise. The only appropriate state of the heart is joy. The sky you see now, you have never seen before. The perfect moment is now. Be glad of it.' Terry Pratchet The Thief Of Time
  • Options
    melodywhrmelodywhr Member Posts: 4,220 Arc User
    edited January 2014
    this thread rides the line way too close to introducing a pay to win discussion and that topic is not allowed on these forums.

the bottom line is, there are different ways to acquire gear. there's only one way to acquire experience.

this thread will now be closed.
This discussion has been closed.