test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Quest:The Black Hand

antonkyleantonkyle Member Posts: 776 Arc User
edited January 2014 in The Foundry
This is now daily so thanks to everyone that played it, I am still happy to trade plays for reviews though.

Note: I have now added a difficulty slider.

This is a Lore heavy quest although the story is as light as you want to make it.
I will be happy to test anyone's quests in exchange and will add them to my reviews below, I will review in order.

Description:

Quest: The Black Hand
Campaign: (Untitled) more will be coming soon.
Time: 15-25 minutes
Tags: #Story #Lore #Combat

You receive a message:
Your help is needed once again, come and find me in Protector's Enclave.
Guard Frinko.

Towards the north of the city there is a private club they call The Blackhand Inn. Recently adventurers have been going there invited to fight as champions for rich gamblers, only they never return.

What you don't know is that this is a quest that will take you deep into the Underdark of Banehold and bring you face-to-face with The Black Hand, The greater deity of fear, hatred and tyranny.

You can find this quest when you search my handle @antonkyle
Post edited by antonkyle on

Comments

• antonkyleantonkyle Member Posts: 776 Arc User
    edited January 2014
    Reveiws to play:
    To Lasso A Dragon: NW-DECKFU4YA

Reviews compleated:
    Hunger in Icewind Dale: NW-DRMA5379B
    Crimson Descent: NW-DRWNLMGYV
    Doomsday: NW-DH3Y53O3U
    The Orb of Avalon: NW-DPIJSYAI7
  • melindenmelinden Member Posts: 619 Arc User
    edited January 2014
    Well designed maps, but I wouldn't expect anything else from you!

Combat kept me busy but I'm a DC so others may not find it as challenging.

Here's the nit picky stuff:

Frinko's line in his intro dialogue was a bit odd. I think this might work better: "Recently adventurers have been invited in there for private fighting bouts but as far as we know they never come back out again."

I wasn't sure what you were trying for with the phrase "champion some contenders". Did you want the player to help the contenders or defeat them?

-the shield flag in the Illusionist's room is jutting into the other room with the receptionist just a bit.

-in the Illusionist's text he says "You we feel..." I think you are looking for "You may feel"?

-in the Gehenna map I think when the Illusionist refers to it as a name, "Black Hand" would be capitalized

-in the line introducing Talona the second sentence is an incomplete sentence. So you can take out the period and just use a comma.

-Talona is still labeled "Nasher Rebel Hexer" at the moment

-the King has as period at the end of his name which seemed a little odd

-the line" "A dragonwrought kobold cowardly, but also deadly" seemed odd. I think maybe the cowardly also needs to be offset by a comma, so: " A dragonwrought kobold, cowardly, but also deadly" Or something like: "A dragonwrought kobold. Cowardly, yes, but also deadly."

-the cleric with Bane is still in his default costume. I wasn't sure if that was because he was supposed to be one of the missing adventurers or not, however.

-the second Bane triggers when the Wizard dies it seems? Since I killed the cleric, then the wizard for awhile there I was fighting two Banes.

-in the final conversation with the Illusionist he says "You not invited here again" I'm guessing that is a "will -not- be" you are looking for.

-the last door looks like it has both an interactable and a map transition attached to it.

If you have the chance I'd love to hear your comments on Hunger in Icewind Dale. It's a longer one though, runs about an hour so I know that might not be something you can do soon.

Thanks!
    Find me in game with @DoctorBadger
    (Un)Academic Field Work Foundry Campaign: NWS-DAPZB2CTZ
    edited January 2014
    melinden wrote: »
    If you have the chance I'd love to hear your comments on Hunger in Icewind Dale. It's a longer one though, runs about an hour so I know that might not be something you can do soon. Thanks!

I'll add it to my reviews for sure. Thanks for the detailed feedback, was exactly what I was looking for. I take it you had no problems with lighting in the Underdark?
  • myrmecoleonmyrmecoleon Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users Posts: 94
    edited January 2014
    I played through this with a 60 GF in decent, but fairly antiquated gear, and a 12 DPS companion. The standouts were definitely the environments (particularly the last map!) and costume design (the Banites looked excellent). An excellent adventure all round, though I did see a few rough edges which should be easy to iron out. More details below.

- In Guard Frinko's dialogue, it might be worth considering adding a comma to: "If possible[,] eliminate any threat to Neverwinter."

- In Sheila's dialogue, "Hey, your [nickname] right?" should be "you're". In the response "Go straight to protectors enclave", should "Protector's Enclave" be in upper case?

- In Illusionist's dialogue at the inn, "You we feel a slight strange like your mind is leaving your body.", should this be "You may feel a slight strange [feeling/sensation] like your mind is leaving your body"?

- In Illusionist's first dialogue in the next map, consider a comma as follows: "You will face a number of foes[,] each a representation...". Similarly, possibly add a hyphen as follows: "Finally, you will face Bane [-] also known as the black hand".

- I thought Beshaba's encounter was well-balanced. I normally find one cleric + something else encounters decently threatening, but not difficult enough to compel potion use.

- In Illusionist's dialogue before Talona, consider adding a hyphen or similar to: "Now it just a void [-] there is no space or time here". In the text "but a plain that will bend...", this should be "plane".

- As melinden noted, Talona is labelled as a Nasher Rebel. Similarly, the imps are labelled as Adventurer 27 and 28. I found this quite tough, because the two clerics heal each other and each drink potions. I drank about three potions here to keep up.

- The stone golems on the way to Loviatar are labelled as Adventurer Fighters - is this intentional?

- The Loviatar encounter is still labelled as Redcaps. I thought this was very easy compared to Talona (no self healing, and don't hit particularly hard).

- King Hippartes of Akanax has an errant period at the end of his name. The difficulty was fairly similar to the Beshaba fight - I didn't find it too difficult.

- I have to admit to being a bit confused about where to go after the Dragonwrought Kobold fight, but I did figure it out eventually.

- Good final fight with Bane! I thought this was about on par with the Talona fight (due to Bane's self-healing and the mage's CC), so it was appropriately difficult (I think I drank about two potions in all). Bane's second incarnation wasn't very threatening - with the healing and the CC gone, he was quite easy to beat down quickly.

I think I'm mostly done with bugfixing on Crimson Descent, but wouldn't mind your expert eye over it! No worries if you're busy, though.
    Crimson Descent (NW-DRWNLMGYV) - Solo 15-20m combat-focused adventure
    edited January 2014
    Thanks for the review @myrmecoleon, will be making changes now and then make a start on my own reviews, I have added yours to my to play list, I'm never too busy to play foundries. ;)
    edited January 2014
    Thanks to melinden & myrmecoleon I now think this is all but done. I am now looking for plays for reviews so any bugs that may still be lurking can be found and to make it daily.

I am very happy with this quest, I think I have taken a huge step forward and I'm eager to hear what people think :D
  • melindenmelinden Member Posts: 619 Arc User
    edited January 2014
    The lower level was lit ok. I had to look around a bit but you have the torches set up well so it wasn't frustrating.
    Find me in game with @DoctorBadger
    (Un)Academic Field Work Foundry Campaign: NWS-DAPZB2CTZ
    edited January 2014
    Still looking for trades folks!
    edited January 2014
    I think I'm mostly done with bugfixing on Crimson Descent, but wouldn't mind your expert eye over it! No worries if you're busy, though.

I have added an in game review and there is little I can add, simply amazing quest, I was stunned to the see that many people had given this four stars and even a couple lower. All I can say is such people wouldn't know a good foundry quest it it jumped up and bit them on the ........... A really good quest right up there with the best of the best.
  • say1osay1o Member Posts: 111 Bounty Hunter
    edited January 2014
    antonkyle wrote: »
    Still looking for trades folks!

Did you see my new one Doomsday yet? Might be in the new tab. Since Guard Frinko is in the Black Hand quest, you have to see Doomsday. I gauruntee you will only need a small post it note for review notes. (No review needed its for fun only)

Search @say1o
    edited January 2014
    say1o wrote: »
    Did you see my new one Doomsday yet? Might be in the new tab. Since Guard Frinko is in the Black Hand quest, you have to see Doomsday. I gauruntee you will only need a small post it note for review notes. (No review needed its for fun only)

Search @say1o

haha! Very good, but now I'm hungry for a subway!
  • myrmecoleonmyrmecoleon Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users Posts: 94
    edited January 2014
    I have added an in game review and there is little I can add, simply amazing quest, I was stunned to the see that many people had given this four stars and even a couple lower. All I can say is such people wouldn't know a good foundry quest it it jumped up and bit them on the ........... A really good quest right up there with the best of the best.

Thanks for the review and the kind words, antonkyle! I think most of the complaints related to some of the rooms being too cramped, which was annoying to people with more kite-based classes. Won't make that mistake next time! :)
    Crimson Descent (NW-DRWNLMGYV) - Solo 15-20m combat-focused adventure
    edited January 2014
    Thanks for the review and the kind words, antonkyle! I think most of the complaints related to some of the rooms being too cramped, which was annoying to people with more kite-based classes. Won't make that mistake next time! :)

It was a bit cramped but I thought that added to the feel of the quest. I went in as a HR and it didn't bother me. Let me know when your next one is out, I'll be sure to play it.
  • rigelliarigellia Member Posts: 30
    edited January 2014
    Hi anton!

I liked your quest and I really liked the environments and all the polish you've added to this map. Unfortunately, I didn't get to finish it because its way too difficult for me. For my Lvl 40 GF, I just couldn't deal enough DPS to match the crazy amount of healing that was going on with all those clerics. It was just hugely discouraging to know that I just couldn't deal enough damage in time to defeat the enemies before they all healed up to full health and even when I did defeat them, it wasn't without drinking at least 10+ healing potions.

Just to let you know, I called it quits at around the 40 minute mark after dying several times to Bane (the first encounter? I didn't manage to defeat him). Maybe things are different when you do the quest at lvl 60? Hahaha.

I know its meant to be a challenging quest but it felt too impossible for my character. If it's possible, do you think you could implement something to allow the player to adjust the difficulty? Unless this is your intention. Maybe other people will have much easier experiences than me, but I'm sure there are others in my position too. Sorry about that, but this is an honest opinion.

Anyway, you wanted review trades so could you try my map? It's called "The Orb of Avalon", NW-DPIJSYAI7
    edited January 2014
    rigellia wrote: »
    Hi anton!

I liked your quest and I really liked the environments and all the polish you've added to this map. Unfortunately, I didn't get to finish it because its way too difficult for me. For my Lvl 40 GF, I just couldn't deal enough DPS to match the crazy amount of healing that was going on with all those clerics. It was just hugely discouraging to know that I just couldn't deal enough damage in time to defeat the enemies before they all healed up to full health and even when I did defeat them, it wasn't without drinking at least 10+ healing potions.

Just to let you know, I called it quits at around the 40 minute mark after dying several times to Bane (the first encounter? I didn't manage to defeat him). Maybe things are different when you do the quest at lvl 60? Hahaha.

I know its meant to be a challenging quest but it felt too impossible for my character. If it's possible, do you think you could implement something to allow the player to adjust the difficulty? Unless this is your intention. Maybe other people will have much easier experiences than me, but I'm sure there are others in my position too. Sorry about that, but this is an honest opinion.

Anyway, you wanted review trades so could you try my map? It's called "The Orb of Avalon", NW-DPIJSYAI7

OK, thanks for the message, you are not the first to say as much so I have now included a difficulty slider and the option for additional help.
    It would be appreciated if you could try it again but not to worry. I have added your quest to my to play list and will do so shortly.

Thanks! :)
    edited January 2014
    Alrighty, I went through the quest again, finished it and given a review. Thank you for the difficulty slider option! I really appreciated that. You should probably tag it with #Epic too :)

In case you were wondering, the difficulty with additional help was fine for a non-epic player like me.
    edited January 2014
    Alrighty, I went through the quest again, finished it and given a review. Thank you for the difficulty slider option! I really appreciated that. You should probably tag it with #Epic too :)

In case you were wondering, the difficulty with additional help was fine for a non-epic player like me.

lol, thanks! Don't worry I can barely manege it myself. I had to get some guild members to test it for me and they sliced through it like it was a stroll in the park. I would like to make a quest that even they would find a challenge but I fear it is not possible. Such is the difference a few enchants make.

I added the help so that it would be a boost if people died, is that how you find it or did you look back? Thanks for the review.
  • lsoulsaberlsoulsaber Member Posts: 3 Arc User
    edited January 2014
    Ok send me an in game letter and I will go review it. My quest for review is "To Lasso A Dragon."
    edited January 2014
    lsoulsaber wrote: »
    Ok send me an in game letter and I will go review it. My quest for review is "To Lasso A Dragon."

It's just moved, you can now find it on the new tab, pretty close to the top. I've added yours to my play list and will give it a run through this evening.
    edited January 2014
    I added the help so that it would be a boost if people died, is that how you find it or did you look back? Thanks for the review.

I found the additional help accidentally when I started fleeing backwards because I forgot to buy more potions after my botched first attempt, lol. I thought it was a good idea you placed the help where they were though. Even though I didn't die, I was as good as dead really. It makes sense to offer help once you die and not many players would run back to the beginning to check there again.
    edited January 2014
    I found the additional help accidentally when I started fleeing backwards because I forgot to buy more potions after my botched first attempt, lol. I thought it was a good idea you placed the help where they were though. Even though I didn't die, I was as good as dead really. It makes sense to offer help once you die and not many players would run back to the beginning to check there again.

Ah OK, cool.

The Orb of Avalon: NW-DPIJSYAI7

I have played this now. First, this was a really fun quest. I took some notes as I went so I will just copy and paste them for you.

It would be worth putting visit the merchant 'in PE' not everyone uses the glowing trail.

First map, looks nice. Would be good to have something for explorers to make it more alive. Maybe some mobs, wolves? also some bird effects would finish it off nicely.

There are a couple of floating objects just before the fence to the house... actually there are many. I think maybe a cluster or something, you just needs the y axis changing down 2-3 feet.

Orb map transition was a little strange, I think an effect between drinking the potion and the orb would make it better and give the impression that the potion is taking effect.

Forest in flames. Same as map one with floating objects, also there is one above the campfire I would delete that one.

"There must be another way", lol! Nice. I really like the flow of the story. It really draws you in.

I didn't see any problems from this point onwards. Overall, another really good quest. I will be playing your first one for sure.
    edited January 2014
    lsoulsaber wrote: »

I'm having a problem starting this quest, I have PM'd you on the forum.