test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

cw improvements/future

adernathadernath Member, Neverwinter Knight of the Feywild Users Posts: 0 Arc User
edited January 2014 in PvE Discussion
Playing mainly a cw, i would like to see some things in the future:

- fireball (it is perhaps the most natural combat spell of mages. Currently spellstorm is better for pve, a fireball spell can make the fire spec more useful in pve)

We are squishy and have therefore alot cc at hand, but lets face it: these arent much useful in pvp due to the amount of cc immunities of other classes (another example the steal time cc effect is as long as the time you stand around casting it, making it very useless in pvp) . Therefore we need better defensive spells; very standard mage spells which are for some reason not implemented
- mirror images
- invisibility
- I also would like to see that blink is improved, because it is very annyoing if you always stand still afterwards.

- Finally what comes to my mind are summons for a future third paragon path.
Suggestions to improve NW:
- Dualspec
- Better rewarding foundry and foundry pvp maps
- Custom PvP leagues with leaderboards instead of the current 'matchmaking'.
- Armory
- make jumping cost stamina (to reduce hopping in pvp)
Post edited by adernath on

Comments

• Options
    nathyielnathyiel Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 340 Arc User
    edited January 2014
    I can tell you came from WoW but it's a different game with it's lore. And this lore explain why we haven't the standard mage package, ie Fireball.

As CW improvement, the first should be the bug correction like Rimefire or Lightning Strike's crit.
    After that, I think the actual spell could be improved somewhat.
    >> Sudden Storm's area is really short. But CW tend to be always at max range for security purpose.
    >> Shard of Avalanche have a strange behaviour sometime. Why not making it explode on impact.
    >> Master of Flame is really single target and depend on other spell for AOE. Why not adding to Fanning the Flame a short low damage AOE component, with increased radius, damage and added Smolder when on Mastery.
    >> On the same way, the only way to stack Chill from distance is to put Conduit of Ice or Icy Terrain on Mastery. Why not adding a 15%/20% proc chance to for each tick of CoI to add Chill.
    >> Singularity is thee most used Daily in PvE, partly because it have a 15 targets AOE control when other are generally limited to 5. With increase target limitation, the other could be more used. Daily are here for whole room control/damage but it feel strange when it's limited to the same number of target than Steal Time.

>> on the 3 path, we have one PvP oriented and 2 more for PvE but player do both with it and lack of performance in PvE or PvP. Is it possible to add a very costy dual-spec option or to balance damage/control between this 3 ?
    >> Renegate have a final feat based on AT-Will when the other to are on Encounter. Couldn't it be better if it was on Encounter too ? And having a little diversity here : CoI for thaum, Chill Strike for Oppressor and Ray of Enfeeblement for Renegad (for example).
  • Options
    adernathadernath Member, Neverwinter Knight of the Feywild Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited January 2014
    nathyiel wrote: »
    Is it possible to add a very costy dual-spec option or to balance damage/control between this 3 ?
    This is another good point which is useful for everyone. I really would like to see a dualspec option in the game.
    Suggestions to improve NW:
    - Dualspec
    - Better rewarding foundry and foundry pvp maps
    - Custom PvP leagues with leaderboards instead of the current 'matchmaking'.
    - Armory
    - make jumping cost stamina (to reduce hopping in pvp)
  • Options
    chemboy613chemboy613 Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 1,521 Arc User
    edited January 2014
    The MoF path is great in PvE. The big orange numbers in spell storm creates a perception bias, and the burst on the trash creates a bias on paingiver, but a MoF cw does great damage when you need it the most.
  • Options
    pers3phonepers3phone Banned Users, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited January 2014
    +1 for:

- Mirror Images (red wizards already use the spell in the game)
    - Invisibility (this IS a D&D spell, available to Wizards&Sorcerers. Description: The creature or object touched becomes invisible, vanishing from sight, even from darkvision. If the recipient is a creature carrying gear, that vanishes, too. If you cast the spell on someone else, neither you nor your allies can see the subject, unless you can normally see invisible things or you employ magic to do so.)

DUAL SPEC

This one is HUGELY important for people that like to both PvP and PvE. Right now, you have to give good performance in one of the aspects of the game. Spec PvP, and do lame damage in PvE. Spec PvE, and have half-useless feats and significantly lower survivability in PvP.

I have suggested exactly these 3 things before, and not just once. Remains to be seen what will happen.
  • Options
    stoxforum1stoxforum1 Banned Users Posts: 265 Bounty Hunter
    edited January 2014
    http://dnd4.wikia.com/wiki/Wizard

They still have tons of great wizard spells in 4e they could choose from.
  • Options
    diogene0diogene0 Member Posts: 2,894 Arc User
    edited January 2014
    I can tell you came from WoW but it's a different game with it's lore. And this lore explain why we haven't the standard mage package, ie Fireball.

As CW improvement, the first should be the bug correction like Rimefire or Lightning Strike's crit.
    >> Sudden Storm's area is really short. But CW tend to be always at max range for security purpose.
    >> Shard of Avalanche have a strange behaviour sometime. Why not making it explode on impact.
    >> Master of Flame is really single target and depend on other spell for AOE. Why not adding to Fanning the Flame a short low damage AOE component, with increased radius, damage and added Smolder when on Mastery.
    >> On the same way, the only way to stack Chill from distance is to put Conduit of Ice or Icy Terrain on Mastery. Why not adding a 15%/20% proc chance to for each tick of CoI to add Chill.
    >> Singularity is thee most used Daily in PvE, partly because it have a 15 targets AOE control when other are generally limited to 5. With increase target limitation, the other could be more used. Daily are here for whole room control/damage but it feel strange when it's limited to the same number of target than Steal Time.

>> on the 3 path, we have one PvP oriented and 2 more for PvE but player do both with it and lack of performance in PvE or PvP. Is it possible to add a very costy dual-spec option or to balance damage/control between this 3 ?
    >> Renegate have a final feat based on AT-Will when the other to are on Encounter. Couldn't it be better if it was on Encounter too ? And having a little diversity here : CoI for thaum, Chill Strike for Oppressor and Ray of Enfeeblement for Renegad (for example).

You haven't played the CW class for long, have you? All this either doesn't make any sense, is wrong, or already exists.
  • Options
    todesfaelletodesfaelle Member Posts: 1,370 Arc User
    edited January 2014
    pers3phone wrote: »
    +1 for:

- Mirror Images (red wizards already use the spell in the game)
    - Invisibility (this IS a D&D spell, available to Wizards&Sorcerers. Description: The creature or object touched becomes invisible, vanishing from sight, even from darkvision. If the recipient is a creature carrying gear, that vanishes, too. If you cast the spell on someone else, neither you nor your allies can see the subject, unless you can normally see invisible things or you employ magic to do so.)

Yes please to Illusions and other more deceptive mechanics in the game. I personally would like to see a class similar to the Mesmer of Guild Wars 2. Something that employs trickery and illusions for his combat would be tremendously awesome. Though I'm not really sure if 4e has a class that specifically does these sort of things. Trickery is for Rogues, illusions, I'm really not sure but I really like the idea of having more tricky and deceptive classes. I'd roll one as soon as I find a class with more deceptive capabilities than a TR.
  • Options
    godlysoul1godlysoul1 Member Posts: 293 Bounty Hunter
    edited January 2014
    Id like to see CW get a decent prone skill for PvP. Espeically since next mod spike damage + control effects will be nerfed in PvP, so their only super good counter against TRs/GWFs is getting downplayed even more despite the fact they are already very hard to deal with from a CW standpoint.
  • Options
    todesfaelletodesfaelle Member Posts: 1,370 Arc User
    edited January 2014
    Shards of the Endless Avalanche is a decent prone skill. Hits hard too. But then again, even prone is getting adjusted for PVP in mod 2.5 PVP patch.
  • Options
    slushpsychoslushpsycho Member Posts: 657 Bounty Hunter
    edited January 2014
    godlysoul1 wrote: »
    Id like to see CW get a decent prone skill for PvP. Espeically since next mod spike damage + control effects will be nerfed in PvP, so their only super good counter against TRs/GWFs is getting downplayed even more despite the fact they are already very hard to deal with from a CW standpoint.

It is call shard on tab.
  • Options
    edited January 2014
    diogene0 wrote: »
    You haven't played the CW class for long, have you? All this either doesn't make any sense, is wrong, or already exists.

Can you explain your view ?

I list some point I think could be better. It's more a PvE view.
  • Options
    jeffro9000jeffro9000 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Knight of the Feywild Users Posts: 121 Bounty Hunter
    edited January 2014
    Honestly I am confused by people complaining that the CW is underpowered in PvP. My CW is 13.8k HV with 2 blue artifacts, 1 green artifact. He is decently geared, but by no means god-tier.

I went full int/con, focused gear on deflect and regen (1800ish deflect, 1400ish regen) and went with a no-capstone 15 oppressor, 16 renegade hybrid build.

Survivability in PvP is fine, I can take a lashing blade crit to the face, escape and regen while still having some control. The only class that is a major problem for my CW is the OP GWF, but they are everybody's problem.

In PvE I do not output the same damage as a full thaum or renegade, but I still have plenty to get the job done. I use this character primarily for PvP, and so, he has no augment. Still, I have run every tier 2 with him using no pet at all and have no issues. Having a guild is helpful too, I guess.

I am worried that the incoming nerf hammer will hurt the CW most of all. I rely on regen + control to kite and regain health. Regen nerf + control nerf in mod 3 will ruin my build and playstyle while simultaneously nerfing my overall damage output. If you think things are bad for the CW now, wait a few weeks...
    Jeffro, DC
    Jeffrina Jones, GWF
    Jeffrodo, CW
    Jeffrogue, Rog
    Jelfro, GF
    Jeffrogolas Do'Urden, HR
    Jeffrodo Jaggins, SW
  • Options
    degraafinationdegraafination Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited January 2014
    Right now the other Range DPS-CC class (HRs), out perform us. Why? They have -ArP build into one of their stats, and we do not. Also, many of our spells (like RoE), does not yet benefit from ArP.

This simple fixes would make playing CWs more viable in PVP. I'm still having a blast with mine, however. Two CWs (or 1 and a HR) is still the best way to take down a Sentinel GWF.
    PWP_zpsf8f711ce.jpg
    Join Essence of Aggression: PVP-ing Hard Since Beta!
  • Options
    edited January 2014
    godlysoul1 wrote: »

Well there are a lot of prones, and a lot of good stuns by the way: shard, entrangling force (stun), chill (stun - the mechanic), malestorm of chaos (prone), or the feated new master of flame daily (daze), ice storm (great prone), oppressive force (daze, slow). Ice knife also has a short prone FYI. I may forget a few spells.

The issue with CWs is the extremely long casting times. You can't reasonably cast ice storm or chill strike with an angry GWF or GF chasing you, and sometimes, casting shield (charged), conduit of ice, or entrangling force, may be a death sentence if you don't precisely time it right. This with no real damage resistance spell (every other class has one) but shield, with a lousy mechanic and low DR once you get hit twice, whatever the damage you took was, is what kills CWs in pvp. All these animations take forever and forever is more than enough to kill someone in pvp.
  • Options
    godlysoul1godlysoul1 Member Posts: 293 Bounty Hunter
    edited January 2014
    Shards of the Endless Avalanche is a decent prone skill. Hits hard too. But then again, even prone is getting adjusted for PVP in mod 2.5 PVP patch.

Oh yeah.... More ppl should use this :P

Ultimately though, I'm all for buffing CW in pvp
  • Options
    gankdalf#8991 gankdalf Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 930 Arc User
    edited January 2014
    Shard of the Endless Avalanche is not that good in PvP most of the time (facing a good premade). Every time a CW is stunned, the shard goes away. If u have more than two people on you, the shard is too hard to control so its mostly useless. And it takes forever to actually drop so you are dead before that happens.

The control wizard is not very good in premades. All classes has so many cc immunities so we are not very controlling in PvP. So all we have is our damage but we can be killed by all classes while we can only kill a few of them with some luck and good timing.

Edit: Also the problem with shard could be worse for me since i rubberband most of the time in this game.

▁ ▂ ▄ ▅ ▆ ▇ █ Gankdalf The Icehole █ ▇ ▆ ▅ ▄ ▂ ▁

• Options
    edited January 2014
    Can you explain your view ?

I list some point I think could be better. It's more a PvE view.

Ok here it is:

Sudden storm is a great burst damage spell. It's fine and definitely doesn't need a buff. It could probably use a balance check, but it would probably end up adding it a 5 targets cap.

Shard explodes if you hit two target or more with it. Don't use singularity if you have issue with your shards, it breaks shards rotations.

Fanning the flame is already doing aoe dot debuff & damage - even more on mastery. This is the LOL moment when you suggest something that is currently in game. You should read tooltips.

Conduit of ice on mastery already adds chill stacks. And ray of frost is a great way to chill something very quickly. Chill strike works too. Even ice storm adds chill from distance, if that's only what you're looking for... You should really read tooltips if you ever expect to be even an ok wizard player...

Singularity is far from being the most used daily. This is a very funny statement. Singularity is very situational, you use it only when targets are too scattered across the room to use shard efficiently. If you use it for different purposes, you're doing something wrong. As a general rule DO NOT use singularity, unless you need to move stuff for a specific purpose (2 gwfs complaining you don't use it enough in your party, shard, pushing, are the most common examples). This spell may slow down your runs significantly if you're not experienced enough. Just FYI, most wizards will use oppressive force (unless mobs starts running around, like i said). It has no target cap, dazes stuff... Again, read tooltips.

Renegade is fine, there's no need to tweak it. If you're using ray of enfeeblement everywhere as a renegade, you're doing something wrong. Like singularity, this is very situational. Use it only during some boss encounters, to speed it up. It's a boss fight "turbo" button, don't use it unless your other spells are sufficient to do your job, or if you have to switch to single target (frozen heart, fulminorax, valindra, etc). Ray isn't a control spell and it's not a damage one.

So as a general rule for yourself and to improve your game experience:
    - read tooltips.
    - test stuff
    - use your eyes, and your mouse: learn to identify icon buffs on you and debuffs on players/monsters.
    - don't post on the forums unless you've successfully done all this, you will do yourself a favor. :)
  • Options
    inthefade462inthefade462 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited January 2014
    woah this kid is asking for CW buffs, in PVE?!?!

trolololol
  • Options
    koalazebra1koalazebra1 Member Posts: 1,173 Bounty Hunter
    edited January 2014
    I LOL'D

/char
  • Options
    edited January 2014
    I speak of gameplay.
    diogene0 wrote: »
    Sudden storm is a great burst damage spell. It's fine and definitely doesn't need a buff. It could probably use a balance check, but it would probably end up adding it a 5 targets cap.
    What is better : more distance (security, more versatile use) or a no target restriction. I choose the first.
    Shard explodes if you hit two target or more with it. Don't use singularity if you have issue with your shards, it breaks shards rotations.
    And sometime, it don't explode at all and disappear or pass through a group of enemy. And Singularity haven't been used at all.
    Fanning the flame is already doing aoe dot debuff & damage - even more on mastery. This is the LOL moment when you suggest something that is currently in game. You should read tooltips.
    Sorry but FtF is only AOE on Tab. Outside, it beneficing form add with Smolder at proximity (you can see it clearly) and they increase the damage on the target FtF is on. or the Tooltip need a clarification of it's writing. Even if it's the add around that take more damage : it's only 50% smolder : ~350 damage.
    Conduit of ice on mastery already adds chill stacks. And ray of frost is a great way to chill something very quickly. Chill strike works too. Even ice storm adds chill from distance, if that's only what you're looking for... You should really read tooltips if you ever expect to be even an ok wizard player...
    Maybe, I should rewrite my statement as I speak out-side of tab. I explain just before that the only solution for adding chill is CoI on tab, Icy Terrain and Chill Strike on Tab (these one only do it 1 time). Shouldn't it be better if we can build Chill from distance or without having to slot CoI in tab.
    Singularity is far from being the most used daily. This is a very funny statement. Singularity is very situational, you use it only when targets are too scattered across the room to use shard efficiently. If you use it for different purposes, you're doing something wrong. As a general rule DO NOT use singularity, unless you need to move stuff for a specific purpose (2 gwfs complaining you don't use it enough in your party, shard, pushing, are the most common examples). This spell may slow down your runs significantly if you're not experienced enough. Just FYI, most wizards will use oppressive force (unless mobs starts running around, like i said). It has no target cap, dazes stuff... Again, read tooltips.
    Don't compare Encounter with daily as they have different use. When I compare Singularity it's with other daily who have the same use or equivalent. Furious Immolation do the same but with less target and less control but for more damage.
    Oppressive Force is also used but I really don't see it a lot. But yes, I concede that I have forget this one.
    And the number of target isn't on tool-tip.
    Renegade is fine, there's no need to tweak it. If you're using ray of enfeeblement everywhere as a renegade, you're doing something wrong. Like singularity, this is very situational. Use it only during some boss encounters, to speed it up. It's a boss fight "turbo" button, don't use it unless your other spells are sufficient to do your job, or if you have to switch to single target (frozen heart, fulminorax, valindra, etc). Ray isn't a control spell and it's not a damage one.
    I compare the 3 paragons path and tell that the buff/debuff put by MM could have been more interesting on an Encounter, like the 2 other path.
    When I made proposition, take for what it is : proposition. I could have say Slow Time and it could have work too.

Actually, I could detail a lot more about path balance, spell game-play improvement. And I precise I ask for a nerf or a buff. I know that spell need target limitation, etc.

So can you learn when you make a reply do precise you're view directly, not bashing directly.
    When someone give his opinion, it should be respect but it's also open for contradiction.
    I'm still waiting for yours.

What could be the balance you speak in the start of your reply ?
    You're opinion on Casting Animation being to long is really true. Even in PvE.
    I have some death due to red zone during cast animation.
  • Options
    edited January 2014
    Okay so let me try to make this a bit clearer.

One of the core mechanics of the CW class is the TAB/mastery spell. I don't know if you've played other classes, but it's always a very powerful game mechanic. The same logic is valid for CWs too: You may either chill stuff, debuff them (smolder - I can't imagine a master of flame CW playing without swash of destruction), add extra damage, extra debuffs, extra prone... The CW is arguably the most potent class in pve. It's not that bad in pvp, provided you build it well (it should be worse with module 3 though). You can't realistically ask the design team to add the special TAB effect to encounter slots.

The balance pass I've been talking about is something the devs will have to do eventually if they want players to make other groups but CW + CW + CW + GWF + cleric. CWs are doing so much control and do so much damage that you need first-rate dps players to challenge an average wizard. Well, it's either the balance check or releasing T3 asap with 6 new dungeons, and few controllable adds inside. The issue about wizards is that they can control adds to aoe them better. There was a common joke in my former guild: if the Control Wizard, with the current damage it does, is cryptic's version of the controller, i'm eagerly waiting for the War Wizard.

So, yes, hopefully, the balance check is coming, or PvE will make no sense in a few months, unless we get, like I said, 6 new dungeons with an entirely new design philosophy, with T3 rewards inside. T2 is already vastly obsolete, with artifacts, greater enchantments, rank 7 runes on everyone, the super OP boons from dread ring and sharandar (endless consumption, anyone?), and the quite game-breaking companion active bonuses. :)
  • Options
    edited January 2014
    On the design imbalance, I'm OK with you. They need to choose if the CW is a control spec that do AOE control & add kitting, or a AOE dps spec. Actually, we are both.
    In the control case, thaum and renegad spec should be less damage oriented and have more control bonus.
    In the dps case, oppressor need to have less control feat and more damage buff/debuff.

In terme of gameplay, I see the mage like an off-tank in some other game or like a support class. But if I look at the path we have one for pure control (oppressor), one for AoE debuff (Thaum) and one for personal and group buff. It could be ok if we are a control/support class (control/debuff/buff). But when the CW do less damage than a TR, it's an pure single target.

On the tab design, there's in fact an imbalance from my point of view in the powerfulness it provide. I will list them for precision like this : how good is the sloted version and why, what can be change to make the slot version feel a powerfull gain.
    Chill Strike : good. from single target to aoe damage and chill. maybe add the stun to the aoe could help. (comparison of effect with repel/EF)
    Conduit of Ice : good. bigger AOE and add chill effect. the AOE is still limited to 5. Maybe an increase of the number of target could be interesting.
    EF : very good. increase control effect, add an AOE pull and give a stack of Arcane Mastery.
    Repel : good. increase the number of target from 1 to 5. Maybe gaining a stack of Arcane Mastery could be ok (comparison with EF)
    Shield : good. increase the distance of the repel and the damage's absorb.
    Icy terrain : good. can cast at distance. Why not increasing the damage at the same time.
    Ray of Enfeeblement : good. increase in effectiveness. (but for a longer cooldown ?)
    Icy Ray : very good. big increase of effectiveness. Maybe limiting it to single target when in mastery.
    Steal time : very good. and it also give you a coffee ^o^
    SoEA : poor. instead of launching it. it drop to your target. I find it more powerful if not on tab. I suggest to mae it drop on target and explode with extended prone duration or a bigger repel distance.
    Suden Storm : good. gain an DoT effect. With a bigger or longer surface, I could be perfect.
    Fanningthe Flame : good. it give a AOE and add smolder on AOE.

We see the balance depend on the spell taken as reference. For exmaple, if we take CoI or Chill Strike, then TF and Ice Ray gain to much power when slotted. The power gain go from a put it at distance (an ok buff) to +50% buff and control (is the base version too weak ?). Some spell seem to be design to be used on Tab by-default, like Ice Ray, that are nearly mandatory in single target fight (PvE).
    All of this is my point of view. I just sharing it as I think it could be an interesting discussion about balancing power and improving game-play.

The chill problem is that adding chill is easy but increasing stack of it is a lot less.
    Single target : Chill Strike (1), Ice ray (6), Icy ray (1 & 2)*
    AOE : Icy terrain (6), Chill Strike on tab (1), CoI on tab (6), Chilling Cloud (1), Ice Storm (daily)

It's easy to build Chill on single target and in AOE near the CW.
    From distance, it's possible to add stack but one at time or you need to slot CoI on tab making it mandatory in this use.
    If you use Chilling Presence and some feat the increase damage on Chilled target, you need to have CoI on tab and you can't used EF, Steal time or FtF on it.
    I propose to add a chill proc on CoI as a way to add some chill at distance but in a lot less powerful version compared to having it on tab (1 chill stack per second).
    My proposition is to find a way to increase gameplay choice by removing CoI from tab as an near obligatory choice without making the sloted version less desirable.
  • Options
    pitshadepitshade Member Posts: 5,665 Arc User
    edited January 2014
    The only encounter that I know of that has an animation problem is Chill Strike and only because it doesn't cancel when you try and teleport. Otherwise, anything big enough for you to worry about is slow enough that you can avoid it, unless you've wasted your stamina or the pull was too big (or you're in Karru). For any fight where it matters, (last boss FH for instance) don't use CS at all and you shouldn't have a problem.
    "We have always been at war with Dread Vault" ~ Little Brother