test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Can I be a Companion?

enderlin50enderlin50 Member Posts: 993 Arc User
edited January 2014 in PvE Discussion
In all serious most of the companion are cooler then our player options.. You got Swashbucklers, Acolytes of Gods who are decked in that Deities emblems, Storm Riders, ect.. These Companions look amazing and do amazing things.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Post edited by enderlin50 on

Comments

• melodywhrmelodywhr Member Posts: 4,220 Arc User
    edited January 2014
    i've been a leveling companion for guildies and friends. i'm a bit OP as a companion at lower levels, but it's all for the fun of it! ;)
  • gdante7111111gdante7111111 Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 227 Arc User
    edited January 2014
    I am not sure what your saying op
  • doogie74doogie74 Member Posts: 1,006 Arc User
    edited January 2014
    Op is overpowered for a companion for someone at low levels.
    edited January 2014
    Thats not what i was talking about, I was saying op (original poster)
  • sockmunkeysockmunkey Member Posts: 4,622 Arc User
    edited January 2014
    I am not sure what your saying op

He is simply lamenting the fact that so far companions are more interesting, diverse, and varied, then our own handful of player classes available to us.
  • hiddenfatehiddenfate Banned Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited January 2014
    sockmunkey wrote: »
    He is simply lamenting the fact that so far companions are more interesting, diverse, and varied, then our own handful of player classes available to us.

This is partly caused by most of the classes not being implemented yet and partly due to the nature of the engine that Cryptic uses to build Neverwinter. Whatever engine they're using won't let me go dwarven Battleaxe wielding cleric/wizard mix to say the least!
  • dardovedardove Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users, Neverwinter Knight of the Feywild Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited January 2014
    hiddenfate wrote: »
    This is partly caused by most of the classes not being implemented yet and partly due to the nature of the engine that Cryptic uses to build Neverwinter. Whatever engine they're using won't let me go dwarven Battleaxe wielding cleric/wizard mix to say the least!

*looks at Champions Online*

I don't think the engine is the reason behind the class limitations.

Also, it takes far less work to create a new companion than it does to make a new class so it is a lot easier to have variety in companions.
  • melodywhrmelodywhr Member Posts: 4,220 Arc User
    edited January 2014
    i think character customization will get better as time goes on. a Q&A with andy velasquez made mention of this and initially, the team's focus was on other things. but they do want to expand character customization in the way of fashion and such.
  • charononuscharononus Member Posts: 5,715 Arc User
    edited January 2014
    hiddenfate wrote: »
    Multi-classing in an mmo is a nightmare. You might as well delete balance from the lexicon at that point. It's fun to do, it really is, whether in pnp or another mmo. That said it creates a balance nightmare, imagine a true multi-class that incorporated all the skills from the levels in this game, say 50 IV GWF sent, with 10 levels of TR for stealth and dodge. Take that mix throw in bis gear and r10's perfects and drop it into pvp. It would be an absolute nightmare.

I'm all for more classes, more paragons, etc. That said multi-classing would be a bad idea. It can even cause problems in pnp if the DM doesn't deliver blunt force trauma to the back of the offending players head. Look up pun pun for more references to that.
    edited January 2014
    charononus wrote: »
    Multi-classing in an mmo is a nightmare. You might as well delete balance from the lexicon at that point. It's fun to do, it really is, whether in pnp or another mmo. That said it creates a balance nightmare, imagine a true multi-class that incorporated all the skills from the levels in this game, say 50 IV GWF sent, with 10 levels of TR for stealth and dodge. Take that mix throw in bis gear and r10's perfects and drop it into pvp. It would be an absolute nightmare.

I'm all for more classes, more paragons, etc. That said multi-classing would be a bad idea. It can even cause problems in pnp if the DM doesn't deliver blunt force trauma to the back of the offending players head. Look up pun pun for more references to that.

Nope if you havent tried raiderz try it, all the classes are balanced, unlike nw were rogues are op and gf/gwf do little damage. Also in raiderz everyone blocks and rolls, unlike nw were gf can block but other classes cant. Where other classes can maneuver around gf and gf cant, raiderz balanced nw not balanced. There needs to be a change in the classes, try raiderz.
  • khimera906khimera906 Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 898 Arc User
    edited January 2014
    Nope if you havent tried raiderz try it, all the classes are balanced, unlike nw were rogues are op and gf/gwf do little damage. Also in raiderz everyone blocks and rolls, unlike nw were gf can block but other classes cant. Where other classes can maneuver around gf and gf cant, raiderz balanced nw not balanced. There needs to be a change in the classes, try raiderz.
    You might not have notice it, but dodging, blocking and all that other stuff is part of the classes identity in Neverwinter. Rogues are supposed to do high damage - they are the DPS class. GWF do plenty of damage and can tank at the same time. GF are not supposed to do damage comparable to Rogues and GWF, they are the Tank class. If you think damage is all that matters and Rogues are op, play a Rogue. I promise you will change your opinion.
    I hate dancing with Lady Luck. She always steps on my toes.
  • schweifer1982schweifer1982 Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 1,662 Arc User
    edited January 2014

LVL 50 DC 10 LVL TR better
    Or LVL 50 GF in HV lvl 10 CW whit 20 k power BETTER -
    Why any one think GWF is a god cuz ?
    lvl 50 GF whit LVL 10 GWF better 20k power

Multi class not bad idea ...
    some ppl have big problems they can only think about pvp nothing more but i dont get it why they paly NW this is not a PVP game like COD?
    GWF 3700Ilvl Éjsötét & ProPala 3200Ilvl Menydörgés (main) & Szürkefarkas 2600 ilvl
  • maerwinmaerwin Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited January 2014
    How about making it the other way around? A companion that has a skin of one of your characters. So that my ranger can run around with a companion version of my wizard.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    NW-DMFGWPBN3 The Lost City - Review Thread
  • hiddenfatehiddenfate Banned Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited January 2014

In the mod I've been coding I spent a good year trying out various ways to balance all the aspects of it to a perfect shine. When I finally accomplished this I discovered that the mod had basically turned into Pokemon with build type x countering build type y and build type y countering build type z. Beautifully well balanced, boring as heck to play. So I stripped away all the balance stuff and just buffed up the weaker stuff so everyone was OP in at least one aspect. And then it became fun again.

Sometimes it's better to have balance take a back seat and let the Druid/Monk combos run rampant for a while. In that kind of situation, sure Druid/Monk may be OP but it can be countered by another combination that's also OP. Then the other combination will be countered by another and another and it'll follow this chain. It creates a constantly changing environment for players to enjoy without the need for constant updates by developers (unless a certain combo overstays its welcome in which case apply some balance and let the cycle continue).
  • khimera906khimera906 Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 898 Arc User
    edited January 2014
    starbigamo wrote: »
    I disagree... DPS GF USED to be an good choice, now it is a VERY bad choice... I have an conqueror DPS GF, and i put all my points and feats in damage and still have almost no damage? It is terrible imo!
    It was never a good choice. DPS is not something a tank class should do, and the change was bound to happen sooner or later. As far as I know GFs still do respectable damage and have good CC and, of course, they are the class with the best tanking capabilities. I have seen GF that can kick a lot of ***, but, like I said, you can't expect the tank class to do damage comparable to the DPS classes. Is you wanna play a tank-DPS hybrid, we have a whole class just for that. The GWFs are a ton of fun to play, believe me.
    Sorry for deviating from the OP's topic.
    I hate dancing with Lady Luck. She always steps on my toes.