test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Encounters on Platforms

tripsofthrymrtripsofthrymr Member, Neverwinter Moderator, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 1,624 Community Moderator
edited January 2014 in The Foundry
I have some raised platforms in an outdoor environment on which I want to spawn encounters.

It seems, though, that the encounters fall through the platform down to the ground unless I place them VERY high above the platform. Even then, they sometimes do not come to a rest on the platform.

How can I get the encounters to spawn on (and stay on) the raised platforms?
Caritas Guild Founder (Greycloak Alliance)

Sci-fi author: The Gods We Make, The Gods We Seek, and Ji-min
Post edited by tripsofthrymr on

Comments

• angryspriteangrysprite Member Posts: 4,982 Arc User
    edited January 2014
    Set the Z axis to about 1' above the top of the platform. It may also help to place an invisible wall turn horizontal to act as a floor of the platform (the encounters will stand on the invisible wall if they miss the platform itself).
  • tripsofthrymrtripsofthrymr Member, Neverwinter Moderator, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 1,624 Community Moderator
    edited January 2014
    Set the Z axis to about 1' above the top of the platform. It may also help to place an invisible wall turn horizontal to act as a floor of the platform (the encounters will stand on the invisible wall if they miss the platform itself).

I guess you mean Y-Axis for "up"? I have set them 1' above and also 10' above. There's also an invisible cube below one of them but I did not try an invisible wall yet. Figured the cube would work the same way, but who knows :-)

edited January 2014
    I guess you mean Y-Axis for "up"? I have set them 1' above and also 10' above. There's also an invisible cube below one of them but I did not try an invisible wall yet. Figured the cube would work the same way, but who knows :-)

Yes, the Y axis! Sheesh... I've been using a stupid freebie app that has the axis swapped and I am (fearfully) getting used to it! LOL (I do mean up-and-down, not depth). ;-)

I think the cubes are volumetric space (which is usually non-opaque with zero collision a.k.a. "phantom"). Try an invisible wall, which is designed for collision, turn it on its axis to be horizontal, rather than vertical and try using it as a floor. I'd place it perhaps .1' below the top of the platform.

I'm not saying this *will* work, I'm saying it *should* work. :)

However, unlike in the STO Foundry, in Neverwinter when encounters spawn they "phase into being" so they start-out as phantom and "solidify" over time (where in STO they "pop" in rather than fade-in). The problem could be that they are still in the phantom state when falling through the platform, in which case any collision-based object just won;t help at all.

In that case, if I were dead-set on making that platform work, I'd try to find a way that I can rez those encounters, then "patrol" them to that spot where I want them (either with a one-way patrol or by using the special items like ambush-socket or something.

Just trying to throw ideas at you. :)
  • eldartheldarth Member Posts: 4,494 Arc User
    edited January 2014
    Which platform? Did you set Y-axis above the "top" of the platform or above the Y value of the platform? Some platforms have anchor at top, middle, or bottom of detail.
  • tripsofthrymrtripsofthrymr Member, Neverwinter Moderator, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 1,624 Community Moderator
    edited January 2014
    eldarth wrote: »
    Which platform? Did you set Y-axis above the "top" of the platform or above the Y value of the platform? Some platforms have anchor at top, middle, or bottom of detail.

In the 3D edit mode, I can see that the encounter is significantly higher than the platform. Also, the specific platform (a sewer platform) has an anchor very close to the platform itself.

• orangefireeorangefiree Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 1,148 Arc User
    edited January 2014
    One thing I should mention is that some platforms don't have collision. There is at least one type (Human Building Trim) that doesn't. Have you tried flying up there in free camera mode and switching back to normal movement to see if it is like that?
    Neverwinter players are stubborn things....until you strip them down to bone. (Cursed players, my flowers, MINE!) Oh how I plotted their demise.
    edited January 2014
    One thing I should mention is that some platforms don't have collision. There is at least one type (Human Building Trim) that doesn't. Have you tried flying up there in free camera mode and switching back to normal movement to see if it is like that?

If I put the encounter up very high, one of the two creatures spawned sometimes sticks to the platform so it must have collision. Also, I can physically stand on it.

• apocrs1980apocrs1980 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Silverstars Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited January 2014
    Place a barrel or other object where you want your encounter to spawn, then copy it's Y axis for the encounter in layout mode, make sure not to adjust the Y axis of the actors in detail mode, that will throw your spawns way off. this should fix any problems your having.

Cheers!
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    The Cragsteep Crypt - BETA
    Ravenloft
    Look for@Apocrs1980 or visit the main page here or Ravenloft here
    edited January 2014
    apocrs1980 wrote: »
    Place a barrel or other object where you want your encounter to spawn, then copy it's Y axis for the encounter in layout mode, make sure not to adjust the Y axis of the actors in detail mode, that will throw your spawns way off. this should fix any problems your having.

Cheers!

Unfortunately that did not work either. The encounter falls through the platform. Note this is in the Foundry Editor. Will the behavior be any different after published?

• apocrs1980apocrs1980 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Silverstars Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited January 2014
    Unfortunately that did not work either. The encounter falls through the platform. Note this is in the Foundry Editor. Will the behavior be any different after published?

Could also be the y is relative to 0 if your using a map that has a lot of variation in the terrain, it tends to throw off the Y axis as well. what platform are you using? and if you spawn an NPC does it also fall through?
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    The Cragsteep Crypt - BETA
    Ravenloft
    Look for@Apocrs1980 or visit the main page here or Ravenloft here
    edited January 2014

You also need to make sure you are not in "edit mode" and have not run the reticle over the selection box -- that will immediately remove all collision from any object you "touch" with the reticle. You don't have to select it, merely run over it.

Also, I would make sure your spawn positions are well away from the edges of the platform, as the spawns seemed to have a bit of random "drift" to them - they may spawn a couple of feet offset in different directions. I think especially if they are all bunched together.
    edited January 2014
    I will reiterate: NPCs and Encounters spawn in phantom mode (no collision) and fall to the ground (or other surface). The problem the OP is facing is that they are falling too fast and passing through collidable objects before they are fully razzed. I've run into this issue before (long ago) and I am thinking I just gave-up the effort.

It sounds like the platform is collision/solid. My only suggestion to OP at this point is process of elimination: try other encounters/standard NPCs just to see if you can get any of them to rez there. In either case, there will come a time when you must decide the benefit/effort ratio has become infeasible and try something else entirely or move-on. :)
    edited January 2014
    My only suggestion to OP at this point is process of elimination: try other encounters/standard NPCs just to see if you can get any of them to rez there.

Ah -- I could definitely see that with encounters that "animate" into existence - such as undead that "claw their way out of the ground" for instance. It may take a couple seconds for the non-solid animation to complete.

Which encounters are you trying to spawn?
  • dietebolacoladietebolacola Member Posts: 7 Arc User
    edited January 2014
    I will reiterate: NPCs and Encounters spawn in phantom mode (no collision) and fall to the ground (or other surface). The problem the OP is facing is that they are falling too fast and passing through collidable objects before they are fully razzed. I've run into this issue before (long ago) and I am thinking I just gave-up the effort.

It sounds like the platform is collision/solid. My only suggestion to OP at this point is process of elimination: try other encounters/standard NPCs just to see if you can get any of them to rez there. In either case, there will come a time when you must decide the benefit/effort ratio has become infeasible and try something else entirely or move-on. :)

How about trying a Slow Fall above the platform?
  • chinspinnerchinspinner Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited January 2014
    Yes, the Y axis! Sheesh... I've been using a stupid freebie app that has the axis swapped and I am (fearfully) getting used to it! LOL (I do mean up-and-down, not depth). ;-)

Even without your app I am constantly making this mistake- why oh why couldn't they just use the correct labels in the first place?
    My new quest:

WIP