test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

Closing In on 60, Looking for Some Answers

malevolent215malevolent215 Member Posts: 52 Arc User
edited January 2014 in The Wilds
So after taking a three month break from Neverwinter I've returned and started with a Hunter Ranger. I am currently level 50 and plan on a respec at 60. I am looking for some help and answers regarding a few powers and feats to help me plan my build. Thanks ahead of time!

First off, my character stat plans. Honestly, I am a DPS wh*** and plan on sticking to that with my Ranger. I already have a greater Vorpal that I swap from my CW. Otherwise I plan on going 90% offensive stats with my defense being Life Steal and Regen. (it always worked with my CW). So onto my questions...

1: Aspect of the Serpent (Passive)- Does this power currently work correctly? Also, is it truly on each hit, or each attack? Example: will a split shot on five enemies give me +15% at lv 3 when I switch to melee? Or will it only be 3% for the entire attack?

2: Sniper's Aim Feat- Does anyone know the actual range graduations? I tried testing myself, but with the damage variance from weapons and powers I couldn't figure it out.

3:Binding Arrow- Does this encounter need two targets to work correctly? Sometimes it seems like the root doesn't work at all, even on slow walking targets.

4 and last: Forest Ghost- How come this skill seems to not always work? I understand DoTs will make you noticeable and also other CCs, but sometimes when I use it... it just plain refuses to fire. Then when it finally does... it works incorrectly and I stay visible but lose the AP.

Any help is greatly appreciated!
Post edited by malevolent215 on

Comments

• Options
    whiteprophecywhiteprophecy Member Posts: 14 Arc User
    edited January 2014
    3. Binding arrow does not need 2 targets.
  • Options
    masterjewstarmasterjewstar Member Posts: 563
    edited January 2014
    1. aspect of the serpent per hit yes

You should have some measure of defense and deflect, it isn't bad for any ranger.
  • Options
    elminsterelminster Member Posts: 193 Arc User
    edited January 2014
    1: Yes, it's working correctly. I haven't tested this extensively so I can't speak on whether it counts each hit of split, but from other skills I've tried it suggests it would. More testing is needed to be sure.

2: This appears to start from max range without falcon, and adding falcon gives you an extra 9m the 20% damage range. Its hard to gauge though because of the very issues you mentioned.

3: whiteprophecy already answered this but I'd like to expand it. You need to have the secondary target directly behind the primary target for this to work as a through shot effect. If they move, jump, get hit, or Valindra farts on a troll it's almost guaranteed to miss the second target. Treat it like a single target skill and not a through shot and you'll be less disappointed in it.

4: How do I explain forest ghost ... Well it's not exactly bugged in a conventional sense. It works like it's designed to work, but getting it to launch properly and consistently can be a bit of an art form. To put it simply what I've found is that the animation and effect are not in sync. Essentially the skill animation is slightly ahead of the skill taking effect, giving you a fraction of a second where the skill can be interrupted but still activate the cooldown and AP fee. To combat this you need to stop moving, activate the skill, and hold there for a half second after the animation completes or it will cancel and you waste it. This obviously sucks if you're in melee because everybody's going to be on you like a fat hog at the fair while you stand there, but if you can put a little distance between yourself and your pursuers you manage to pull it off
  • Options
    obsidiancran3obsidiancran3 Member Posts: 1,823 Arc User
    edited January 2014
    The all offense and no defense strategy works with a CW because of the stuns and prones in their powers. With a HR if you ignore defense and deflect at 60 you will die a lot.

On Binding Arrow it seems that it works sometimes beyond the range the tooltip says it works and all the time inside its tooltip range. Think of it as a short range power when thinking of the roots effect.
    Obsidian Moonlight - Paladin
    Obsidian Oath - Warlock
    A whole lot of other Obsidian toons as well.
  • Options
    edited January 2014
    Thanks for the answers! I'll have to do some testing myself with serpent, but if it is on an actual per hit basis why isn't this passive so much more popular? Three Split volleys into a grouped mob will give you 15% extra melee damage. Then vice versa using steel, fox, and clear the ground... We will have to see...

Also, as to the defense stats- I will still have all the armor given defense. I'll just be using life steal and regeneration in defensive slots. I'm not worried about dying, as it has never been a problem for me. I run dungeons with my guild's tank and my god is he good at keeping aggro. Besides only a very few hits will truly one hit kill you, and you'd be surprised how quickly you recover health with 15k+ crit AoEs with 12% life steal. I'm always second in healing behind the Cleric on both my CW and now my Ranger... I'm definately not trying to brag... Just saying that I can handle myself.
  • Options
    obsidiancran3obsidiancran3 Member Posts: 1,823 Arc User
    edited January 2014
    Actually Serpents should be used by every Hubrid and should be 3/3 on combat specs as well for the reasons you mention. However most HR players prefer to hang back and shoot. (Myself included)
    Obsidian Moonlight - Paladin
    Obsidian Oath - Warlock
    A whole lot of other Obsidian toons as well.
  • Options
    edited January 2014
    So I did the testing on Serpent. It does proc on every hit, but it has max of 5 stacks. It's still an easy 15% damage boost if you are a hybrid build.