test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Dungeon Queue issues

inquisitorrahlinquisitorrahl Member Posts: 0 Arc User
edited January 2014 in PvE Discussion
This system needs dire attention or just remove it and let people work groups out for themselves. I'm sitting here attempting to do dungeon delves for once, I've wasted 45 min of it just trying to get a dungeon. Here's the results:

Wait 5-8 Minutes, join 3 man Cavern...sit there for 8 minutes, no one joins and everyone leaves.

Wait 5-8 minutes again join a 4 man Cavern in progress, instantly party kicked

Wait 5-8 minutes, get placed into a 1 man Cavern that was actually the first one I was in, one HR stayed apparently

Wait 5-8 minutes, get placed into a 4 man Temple, HR says "lets do this the quick way guys" proceeds to aggro a ton of stuff I die twice, everyone leaves.

4 minutes later, joined a Dread that was bugged with 2 people, had to leave.

I'm now sitting at a fire in queues again with the clock ticking.

The queue system needs serious work, it needs to have a status. I can't even tell if it's actually looking for replacements or not. They also need to let you invite people to replace spots, currently you are not allowed to invite a friend or anything it seems. Party kicking people that are only trying to play the game is just stupid.
Father McGruder - Scrub geared DPS DC - I kick HAMSTER for the Lord!

Explosivo - Scrub geared MoF CW - Climb upon my BIG ASSED steed....
Post edited by inquisitorrahl on

Comments

• charononuscharononus Member Posts: 5,715 Arc User
    edited January 2014
    This system needs dire attention or just remove it and let people work groups out for themselves. I'm sitting here attempting to do dungeon delves for once, I've wasted 45 min of it just trying to get a dungeon. Here's the results:

Wait 5-8 Minutes, join 3 man Cavern...sit there for 8 minutes, no one joins and everyone leaves.

Wait 5-8 minutes, get placed into a 1 man Cavern that was actually the first one I was in, one HR stayed apparently

Wait 5-8 minutes, get placed into a 4 man Temple, HR says "lets do this the quick way guys" proceeds to aggro a ton of stuff I die twice, everyone leaves.

The queue system needs serious work, it needs to have a status. I can't even tell if it's actually looking for replacements or not. They also need to let you invite people to replace spots, currently you are not allowed to invite a friend or anything it seems. Party kicking people that are only trying to play the game is just stupid.
    Well I do agree that the queue is a tragic waste of time. That said the party kick might have been for multiple reasons. Some of them might have had to do with party make up. You really do want 1 cw in most epic dungeons so if you were say a third hr or something of that nature you were probably kicked to try to get a better comp.
  • inquisitorrahlinquisitorrahl Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited January 2014
    I am a CW sadly. Does no one use this system or what? I'd try LFG but it seems like we have fast run snobs for the most part requiring GS's that are higher than the gear you could get prior to these dungeons would put you at.

edited January 2014
    So I officially wasted the entire hour trying to get one dungeon run. Wow....I thought PvP was annoying to deal with...guess I'll stick to that though.

edited January 2014
    I am a CW sadly. Does no one use this system or what? I'd try LFG but it seems like we have fast run snobs for the most part requiring GS's that are higher than the gear you could get prior to these dungeons would put you at.

Honestly no noone uses this system. It's broken from poor design and bugs which has led everyone that's been here a while to ignore it's existence.

I tried using it after mod 2, and even without the bugs it was still worthless.

My advice to you is to start running gg, lfg for fc isn't bad. Many times it's take 4 then go. A CW assuming you built yourself well will be welcome to that as long as you are in all blue gear which is very easy to get. (This assumes delzoun, don't know how the luskans are) This will get you t2 pvp gear with coins. While this gear isn't top of the line it'll let you make a solid contribution in t2's.

At this point hey you're in a guild to do gg, so grab a couple guild mates, then if you need to advertise for your own group and pick up what's needed for the dungeon.
  • kuyabaykuyabay Member Posts: 56
    edited January 2014
    The suggestions are fine as temporary workarounds. It's like saying take the bus, train, bike, etc...while your car sits in the garage with a blown motor and no one bothers to fix it. Seriously, this needs to be fixed asap.
    edited January 2014
    kuyabay wrote: »
    The suggestions are fine as temporary workarounds. It's like saying take the bus, train, bike, etc...while your car sits in the garage with a blown motor and no one bothers to fix it. Seriously, this needs to be fixed asap.

I don't think there is a way to fix it anymore to be honest. If it was rolled out working it would be one thing. But now everyone has learned that it's a horrible system and doesn't use it. This means if it was fixed tommorrow mechanically it would still be broken because of the social engineering that's happened. Fixing these social problems is going to be much harder if not impossible.

The only "fix" that has a chance of working at this point is to no longer allow queue's with less than full parties to start a run. This will at least prevent people like the op from wasting their time from ignorance of how bad the queue system is.

*note I'm not using ignorance in the pejorative, just in the sense that he didn't realize how bad it really is.
    edited January 2014
    charononus wrote: »
    I don't think there is a way to fix it anymore to be honest. If it was rolled out working it would be one thing. But now everyone has learned that it's a horrible system and doesn't use it. This means if it was fixed tommorrow mechanically it would still be broken because of the social engineering that's happened. Fixing these social problems is going to be much harder if not impossible.

The only "fix" that has a chance of working at this point is to no longer allow queue's with less than full parties to start a run. This will at least prevent people like the op from wasting their time from ignorance of how bad the queue system is.

*note I'm not using ignorance in the pejorative, just in the sense that he didn't realize how bad it really is.

I don't know why it doesn't work that way already. I'm pretty sure PvP matches don't start unless both sides have 5 greens ready to go. Why you'd be tossed into a dungeon with 2 or 3 readies and the other 2 fail to just end up sitting there for 10 minutes never seeing anyone join is beyond me.

edited January 2014
    I don't know why it doesn't work that way already. I'm pretty sure PvP matches don't start unless both sides have 5 greens ready to go. Why you'd be tossed into a dungeon with 2 or 3 readies and the other 2 fail to just end up sitting there for 10 minutes never seeing anyone join is beyond me.

No, that's not what I mean. I mean if you aren't a member of a full 5 person party you can't even click join queue.
    edited January 2014
    charononus wrote: »
    No, that's not what I mean. I mean if you aren't a member of a full 5 person party you can't even click join queue.

Oh, well I still think it would help if you weren't allowed to join the dungeon until all 5 hit yes, tossing 3-4 people in to never get the last remaining people seems dumb. Just put the people who hit yes back in the queue for that dungeon and try again.

• inthefade462inthefade462 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited January 2014
    The current queue system is the result of players demanding that the queue allow them replacements after the first boss is killed.

Prior to Mod 2, after engaging the first boss, if someone disconnected/quit/whatever, then you either had to finish the dungeon with 4 people or abandon it. Generally, people would abandon it, meaning the queue system spent very little time trying to place players into an already ongoing dungeon. It would happen every once in a while, but only groups that had lost a player prior to first boss.

People complained for 6 months that this wasn't fair and wanted the ability to replace people after the first boss, and so now this is what you have.

There are ways around this, first being understanding how the queue system works:

1. Dungeon instances persist until it is completed, or all players in that instance leave the party. Note that it takes some time for a disconnected member to fully disconnect and "leave party". Also note that now that the queue will replace players at any time, people who struggle to make it to the last boss are much, much more likely to keep that instance alive hoping for the queue to save them.

2. Queue dungeon parties must consist of GF, DC, and 3 DPS. If you lose a GF or DC it will only replace with GF or DC. HR/TR/GWF/CW all fill the "DPS" slot and you can only get one of those classes as a replacement if your party has a GF and DC. If it is filling a DPS slot it fills with the DPS class that's been waiting in queue longest.

3. Queue system puts a priority on filling spots in an existing instance over creating a fresh dungeon for a new party. Thus taking into account #1 and #2, it is much, much harder to get a fresh instance of 5 players. If that is your intention, you are much, much better off spamming lfg and joining a party of 5 players and then queuing.

The change (to allow players to replace from queue after first boss has been engaged) has been basically universally despised by most players who use the queue system to find dungeons. Since most players don't use the queue it's really only harmful to new/inexperienced players. The only benefit to the new system is, if you understand how it works, and happen to have a character of each class, you can help your friends out by joining their instance in progress if someone quits on them prior to the last boss.
  • lance32007lance32007 Member Posts: 1 Arc User
    edited January 2014
    Are you kidding me...Dungeon queues are a big part of a mmorpg. This needs fixed right away. I have had 3 friends quit because we are unable to advance cuz we dont have full groups. we are unexperienced at t2 dungeons so most ppl wont even join unless we are. Fix the **** queues honestly. No more excuses for the bull
  • diogene0diogene0 Member Posts: 2,894 Arc User
    edited January 2014
    Some instances remain open forever, and very few DCs or GF ever queue. That's annoying when you try to join the queue to help friends. You're always sent to these worthless instance people try to glitch, most people have left, or a bugged one. These "old" instances should be closed after some time. When none of the original players is there, no reinforcement should be allowed and the map should be automatically closed. Until then, the queue system is just garbage because there is always 50 **** instance between you and your friends.
  • pers3phonepers3phone Banned Users, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited January 2014
    How hard can it be to allow people to invite friends inside the dungeon, if they remain with 3-4 guys cause of dcs/wipes? Friends had a GWF dc in CN today, I had to go through 12-13 random botched instances to reach them. Just code a function so party lead can invite replacement.
  • nameexpirednameexpired Member Posts: 1,282 Arc User
    edited January 2014
    The queue system needs serious work, it needs to have a status.
    I doubt there will be something like a status, as it might give away numbers like classes queued, players waiting etc. Numbers that would be interesting for the players ("Oh, there are 5 teams queued waiting for a DC, I could log in with my DC"), but also for competing companies.
    It would show that GFs are useless and other stuff. I don't think we will get information any time soon.
    Imaginary Friends are the best friends you can have!
  • dndmasterdarkdndmasterdark Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited January 2014
    pers3phone wrote: »
    How hard can it be to allow people to invite friends inside the dungeon, if they remain with 3-4 guys cause of dcs/wipes? Friends had a GWF dc in CN today, I had to go through 12-13 random botched instances to reach them. Just code a function so party lead can invite replacement.

I could see this working only if there was no party kicks that have happened. Other than that people would just kick a dps out of the dungeon to add his friend... Cannot see this ever happening.
  • unicorn11bunicorn11b Member Posts: 2 Arc User
    edited January 2014
    How is something so fundamental, used in just about evey MMO, so disfunctional? It's not like they had to start from scratch with nothing to base it on. Did they not every try any other MMO to see what works and what doesn't?
  • pers3phonepers3phone Banned Users, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited January 2014
    I could see this working only if there was no party kicks that have happened. Other than that people would just kick a dps out of the dungeon to add his friend... Cannot see this ever happening.

You know... it is completely puzzling to me why we have to worry about these things.

In that other MMO I played extensively, they added at one point a random queue thing, together with achievements and rewards for the guys using it. People that wanted to fill their "Valor/Justice Points" (I think) had to run a certain number of random dungeons each week, including myself.

I was not kicked once even as I was a returning mage after taking a full expansion break of 2 years or so, and kinda rusty. In months of play, not a single griefing instance has happened to me.

All in all, the system just functioned... almost flawlessly. It functioned so good, I barely even thought about it :) I just knew it was there and enjoyed the game.

This is how this game should also function - people should not have to worry about malfunctioning game systems, they should be busy enjoying themselves.

In that other game, you could not invite people you knew (I think...). You could vote-kick AFKers or bad players though. Then you could put the party back in queue and you got replacement. The replacement would even see for example "Dungeon X, 2/3 bosses killed" and decide if he wanted to finish.

And so on.

But what was truly important was the fact that the system functioned so good, you didn't really noticed it.
  • mconosrepmconosrep Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited January 2014
    You know... it is completely puzzling to me why we have to worry about these things.

In that other MMO I played extensively, they added at one point a random queue thing, together with achievements and rewards for the guys using it. People that wanted to fill their "Valor/Justice Points" (I think) had to run a certain number of random dungeons each week, including myself.

I was not kicked once even as I was a returning mage after taking a full expansion break of 2 years or so, and kinda rusty. In months of play, not a single griefing instance has happened to me.

All in all, the system just functioned... almost flawlessly. It functioned so good, I barely even thought about it :) I just knew it was there and enjoyed the game.
    But what was truly important was the fact that the system functioned so good, you didn't really noticed it.

It worked because in that MMO, the GMs stomped down EXTREMELY hard and fast on that type of griefing behaviour, especially if it was done by guilds. There was a guild on the server I played on that was stupid enough to try something similar, and basically got GMstomped out of existence.....

The point being that when individuals and guilds know that abuse of such a system will lead to consequences, they tend to much better behaved...
  • wick220wick220 Member Posts: 40
    edited January 2014

Your story sounds identical to mine. I didn't do any dungeons at all leveling up, I finally got Malabog's Castle unlocked and figured I'd give it a shot. I'm an 11k CW + Stone. Kicked, kicked, TR solo?, 1 other player, kicked...? Sigh, another skirmish I guess.
  • diogene0diogene0 Member Posts: 2,894 Arc User
    edited January 2014

4 people from the same guild. One random guy from the queue. A guild member says he's available. He needs whatever the dungeon the 4 other guys are doing drops from the final chest. Guess what's going to happen to the random guy?

This is neverwinter. Not another MMO. People here are greedy, and will do anything they can to get more ADs (investing in new guild members is a way to do that) so that they don't have to use the cash options. Seriously. Do you think he won't be kicked? I know some people from my guild would do that. I'm in a no exploit guild but that doesn't mean everyone is nice, cares about others, or has some ethics. The kind of guild i'm in isn't supposed to be "let's have legendary artifacts, perfect & ranks 10s asap whatever the cost is for the game or others" but i know it would happen. What about other guilds?

This replacement <font color="orange">HAMSTER</font> is a mistake and imo it should be reverted. A leaver? Just 4 man the dungeon! It's just extremely annoying to get in instances people failed with 2 random 9k TRs and a 8k GWF, facing the final boss of spellplague caverns or the first boss of karrundax. Or at the very least we should be able to tick an option like "new instances only".