test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Gaming Mouse Compatibility

frozenflame22frozenflame22 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Knight of the Feywild Users Posts: 56
edited January 2014 in General Discussion (PC)
I'm looking to buy a new mouse and I'm thinking of buying a gaming mouse. The two I am considering have 11 and 14 buttons. Does anyone here use a mouse like this? Have you had any problems with it in this game?
Post edited by frozenflame22 on

Comments

• jintortlejintortle Member Posts: 655 Arc User
    edited January 2014
    I have a Logitech Gaming mouse.

7 functional buttons all up - with another 2 for changing my mouse programming (Different colors indicate which Mode I am in)
    It has the normal left/right.
    Scroll button with click down.
    2 extra buttons on each side
    and a button which changes between 3 modes (gaming/writing/internet)

i started out using the additional buttons for things - but over time I just used the onscreen menu again.

The only thing I use is the Push Down on my scroll wheel to bring up my Artifact Ability.

It is good and programmable - but I lost interest in using them.

Cheers - I think 11 Buttons is overkill for a mouse. Really 4 extra buttons is good and probably ideal for remembering what they do.

Oh, no problems with programming what they each do.
    Genus Draco Fad and the Muster@Jintortle
    ID: NW-DD5FLOBTJ
    Cult of the Dragon Foundry Contest - Please participate and vote for your favourite - 26/6/2014 contest rating begins.

Sir Camps A Lot. Mr SlingShot Boom. XX Phantasmagorical. Jinn Dragonfeast.
    SlingShot Boom Jr. Jocan Traders. Little Lord Forgatty, Dwarf Mean and introducing Necro Torquemada (The Warlock)
  • devilshark5devilshark5 Member Posts: 26 Arc User
    edited January 2014
    Hi Frozen-

I use the Razer Naga with the free Razer software. Works great!
    California Sunshine
  • ladymythosladymythos Member, Neverwinter Knight of the Feywild Users Posts: 637 Bounty Hunter
    edited January 2014
    I use the Diablo 3-mouse. I click the middle-mouse button (the scroll wheel) to summon my mount, and use one of the side-buttons for the map. It works fine. :)
  • jorifice1jorifice1 Member Posts: 1,042 Arc User
    edited January 2014
    While I am crazy in love with my Razor Naga (we're getting married this June in a lovely ceremony. My G15 Keyboard will be giving away the Bride), it is a bit overkill for this particular game. Most other games? Awesome beyond words. Don't get me wrong, it still rocks for this game, just no where near as much as, say, with Champions Online or The Secret World, where it is nothing less than transformative. I literally can no longer play either of those games without it, it improves things so much.
    So, to sum things up:
    Yes, it would be a great investment on your part, as long as this game, and this game alone, is not the sole reason for buying it.

'Wen considered the nature of time and understood that the universe is, instant by instant, recreated anew. Therefore, he understood, there is in truth no past, only a memory of the past. Blink your eyes, and the world you see next did not exist when you closed them. Therefore, he said, the only appropriate state of the mind is surprise. The only appropriate state of the heart is joy. The sky you see now, you have never seen before. The perfect moment is now. Be glad of it.' Terry Pratchet The Thief Of Time
  • wildlustwildlust Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 38
    edited January 2014
    Any gaming mouse will work, However.... buy one that will fit the most comfortable under your hand. Prolonged use of an uncomfortable mouse can lead to some serious medical conditions. Ones that usually don't appear until later on in life and by then it's to late.

My advice is to go to a store that has some displayed and get a feel for what style fits best. Then go read some reviews. Then make a purchase.

I have a G500 (logitech) and it fits nicely. I've tried a Razor Naga and it was uncomfortable, but had some nice feature with all the side buttons. I ended up boxing it and in a box it sits as a backup mouse in case my Logitech fails and I need a mouse to get me by till I buy a replacement.
  • mightymittymightymitty Member Posts: 2 Arc User
    edited January 2014
    I have the Razer Naga 2014 and I love it. Imho it's prefect for MMO. Works great with other games too.
  • twstdechotwstdecho Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Knight of the Feywild Users Posts: 630 Bounty Hunter
    edited January 2014
    While it's not a gaming mouse, I use the Logitech M570 wireless trackball. Perfect for use with my laptop while sitting in my recliner! ;-)
  • frozenflame22frozenflame22 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Knight of the Feywild Users Posts: 56
    edited January 2014
    Thanks for the feedback, especially about seeing them in person. My husband and I ended up going with the WoW mice. The plan is to map the direction shifts and greed/pass to the extra buttons. The Razer Naga also felt very nice in the hand, but the WoW mice were on clearance and were a close enough second place. We ordered them through New Egg for about $25 each and they should be here in a week. My current mouse is just a little undersized for my hand and the optics are starting to go out. My husband however has had the worse problem. He's using a dinky little freebie mini mouse. I think we'll both be better off once our new toys arrive.
  • ghoulz66ghoulz66 Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 3,748 Arc User
    edited January 2014
    Honestly, I only need a plain old mouse with a wheel to play this comfortably.

Movement moved to direction keys
    Tab power moved to End
    Dailies on Home/Pageup
    interact on 1(End)
    potion spam on 4(left arrow)
    need/greed/pass on 7(home)/8(up arrow)/9(pageup)
    encounters on mousewheel up/middle click/down

Everything I need within finger's reach and it most importantly it doesn't feel awkward.
  • ambisinisterrambisinisterr Member, Neverwinter Moderator Posts: 10,462 Community Moderator
    edited January 2014
    I am an avid user of the Razer Naga Epic. I can't recommend it enough.

I bought other expensive mice in the past and stopped due to all of them, particularly Logitech's, breaking. I kicked myself in the rear end for buying my Razer Naga Epic instead of another $10 mouse but I have had no problems since I bought it three years ago and I can't imagine playing games without it!
  • beriad1beriad1 Member Posts: 61 Arc User
    edited January 2014
    wildlust wrote: »
    Any gaming mouse will work
    I can't seem to get mine to work, it's a WOW steel series, any suggestions to fix it? It used to work fine but now it doesn't :/
    fs_49316d8a5de21281b0f4fc8f0089006b.png
  • frozenflame22frozenflame22 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Knight of the Feywild Users Posts: 56
    edited January 2014
    We ended up buying WoW Steelseries mice. I have the silver one and my husband has the bronze one with more buttons. I've had no problems with mine once I got it set up. My husband's worked initially, but yesterday he unplugged it to move the laptop, and the mouse stopped working. He reinstalled the mouse software (likely unnecessary) and rebooted the computer and it works fine now.

One thing that helped me in configuring the mouse was to set up macros for the buttons that correspond to the in game buttons. Select No Delay for the macro. Also if you are setting up the shift + directional buttons as macros, you'll need to use this format: W (down) Shift (down) Shift (up) W (up).

I did not remap to the mouse in game at all. The only thing I changed with the interface is I put in a second set of Press Window Button 1-3 keybinds, leaving the default in place. This way I only had to deal with a single key in the macros. I know my husband did some extensive remapping of the keybinds, but he said that this wasn't the reason for the mouse hiccup.

I'm still getting use to all the buttons in my hand, as well as the slightly different mouse grip. I'm planning to slowly ease into it little by little. These first few days I'm mostly just getting used to holding it further back in my palm. It is more comfortable that way, but I'm just not used to it yet. My husband however has instantly adjusted to the new mouse, and it has made the game much more manageable for him.