test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

LFG in zone chat

lionelcharronlionelcharron Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 18 Arc User
edited January 2014 in General Discussion (PC)
Dont know what is up recently, I see more and more ppl "spamming" (even if its not often) LFG msg in zone chat. Im not here to insult them, just try to... reason them? and maybe get the opinions of others?

I wouldnt mind if its somewhere in a XYZ map... but PE? really? there is already the gold spammer, and a lot of discussion/trolling going, no need for lazy LFG spammer!

"Yea, but nobody watch the LFG chat" ... yea, I know, well... not "nobody" but the ppl who dosnt care about it wont watch it, its true. And if ppl unchecked the LFG chat its because they dont like their chat getting flood by LFG message.

And also, what give you the right, "You", to post on the zone and not the others? because its like passing in front of everyone that were waiting in line at the grocery stores. If YOU can do that, why not the others? This is probably why I see more and more sending LFG msg in Zone in PE, sometimes its a msg every 5-10s. its quite annoying.

What I do against this, is /tell them that there is a LFG chat (never know, they could have forgotten! :rolleyes: ) and that there quite few ppl who /ignore ppls who does that. I usualy get no anwser, sometimes ppl will say sry, others will tell me to go F myself, and at last, some will tell me "yea, I send on both". One thing I dont get here is, why would for the love of god there be a LFG chat if you send on both? why would there be an option to disable it... if you send on both?

If anyone would like to give me a legitimate reason to post LFG msg in zone, I would love to hear it. Otherwise, you can share your experiences, or your idea to overcome this growing probleme :)

Personaly, I will keep /tell them whit what I said above, and unless they say sorry, I will /ignore them. I hope more ppl will join this road whit me :) (since adding an other system will be hard to do (not like for the gold spammer where a lvl requirment could fix the prob... xD))
Post edited by lionelcharron on

Comments

• sockmunkeysockmunkey Member Posts: 4,622 Arc User
    edited January 2014
    I think you are making it over complicated. And are you instigating conflict where its not needed. There is no reason to message them directly. They know what they are doing, you are not enlightening or educating anyone.

The ONLY valid recourse we have as players, is the /ignore option. If it annoys you, ignore them. That is it, that is all you can do. Anything else, can give them the means to report you for harassment. If enough people /ignore, the player gets muted and the problem goes away. If not, then it obviously isn't annoying enough to the community as a whole.
  • ladymythosladymythos Member, Neverwinter Knight of the Feywild Users Posts: 637 Bounty Hunter
    edited January 2014
    Question: Why do you make a big deal out of someone trying to find a group in zone-chat, but not the dozens and dozens of people spamming zone-chat with all sorts of private bickering that really should have gone in PMs? Trust me, a lot of people seem to forget zone-chat is public... I admit some of it can be funny to read, but most of is it just embarrasing and annoying. That's why I ended up switching off zone-chat entirely. I do use LFG, though. Better to keep those seperate, but it's not a big deal the few times they are not.
  • eldartheldarth Member Posts: 4,494 Arc User
    edited January 2014
    If I see more than 1 LFG from the same person in my (10-line?) chat history -- right-click report-spam.
  • fondlezfondlez Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited January 2014
    Don't waste your time with Tells.

Anyone LFG'ing in Zone chat is generating noise for the wrong channel and more often than not will repeat the same message so therefore is technically spamming. So, just Report Spam them immediately and the system will take care of it. It also places them on ignore and unlike gold spammers there are not an infinite number of players, so you will eventually get all the culprits.

The only exception I personally make is tolerating LFG in levelling zones since not everyone will have LFG turned on, or understand the chat system, and the level of spamming is virtually non-existent compared to town.
  • colonelwingcolonelwing Member Posts: 1,448 Arc User
    edited January 2014
    [...]If anyone would like to give me a legitimate reason to post LFG msg in zone, I would love to hear it. Otherwise, you can share your experiences, or your idea to overcome this growing probleme[...]

Many people in NW just don't care, that's the main reason.

• ordensmarschallordensmarschall Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 1,060 Bounty Hunter
    edited January 2014
    Just ignore or report as spam, simple. No point in making a big deal of it. Most of them know better, but do it anyway, you are not going to fix it.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • barbotineqcbarbotineqc Member Posts: 23 Arc User
    edited January 2014
    Well you're also making a lot of noise for nothing.

You don't HAVE TO use the LFG chat. It was created for 2 reasons, TRY to move every LFG messages from the global chat and give a clearer view to ppl who want to find a group.

The LFG chat was created for the LFG users, not for the zone chat users because the zone chat is still the global channel.
    You can LFG, Trade, discuss, and even spam for some, that's what a global chat is for.

But if you don't want to have stupid discussion and gold farmers spam when you're trading or "LFG-ing" you go to your special channel.

If you report or blacklist somebody for one LFG message (ok if it's 10 LFG messages in less than 5min) in the zone chat. Then also BL and report ppl actually talking of something else in the LFG or Trade chat.

My point is, there is no law that forbid you to LFG or trade on the global chat. The other channels are just here to encourage ppl to go there and to give them a "rally" point.
  • sirjestosirjesto Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users, Neverwinter Knight of the Feywild Users Posts: 176 Bounty Hunter
    edited January 2014
    As barbotineqc said above, the LFG chat was created as well as the Trade channel. In the "old" days everything was spammed in Zone because that was the ONLY channel. If that little bit of spam in Zone bugs you, you would have had a mental breakdown in the "old" days. ;)
  • lionelcharronlionelcharron Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 18 Arc User
    edited January 2014
    If that little bit of spam in Zone bugs you, you would have had a mental breakdown in the "old" days.

Doesnt really bug me, but I dont see the point of doing different chat if nobody care about their uses, otherwise they could have simply called them Zone# 1-3 if it dosnt matter what they are for. The probleme I see is that some people use the different chat "like they should be" (I mean, the LFG "should" be for LFG) while others just dont care and go directly to the Zone chat. Well than, why bother whit /trade and /lfg? Because the people who use them "like they should" get ninjaed by the people who dont care, so they are technicaly penalized for using it they way "it should". So why not come back to the "old" days where it was a spam fest, Back to scare one?
    Why implement more chat if they arnt used for what they were created for?

Oh, and I dont make a big deal out of it, Im just impress how some people think. Its the whole "Im on internet so Im not accountable to anyone" kind of mentality. You wont (or I hope you wont) see anybody go passed in front of anyone in a line because they know they will have to confront the others, while on internet they get the feeling that they are all mighty. I will /tell them (once, I never harass others) just so they know it bothers some ppl, and yes I usually simply report spam/ignore them when they tell me to F or whatever.

PS: is there a cap to the amount of blacklisted ppl you can have? lol
  • fondlezfondlez Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited January 2014
    PS: is there a cap to the amount of blacklisted ppl you can have? lol

Not as far as I know. I think I have going on 2,000 names on my Ignore list, for example.
    edited January 2014
    Why are you saying they're "passing in front of everybody"....

I have both LFG and Zone chat open I see both at the same time. And most of the ppl who are searching for a member are looking at the LFG chan anyway.
    So writing an LFG message in the zone chat will actually slow your search, your message will be lost in the zone mess (spam, discussion etc) so it's less effective. Nobody is "cutting the line" here, chill out.
  • lionelcharronlionelcharron Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 18 Arc User
    edited January 2014
    chill out

Has if I had a big red vein growing on my forehead :p

In my opinion, writing in Zone does give way more chance to be seen than in LFG/trade, since I know a lot of people who disabled them because of the spamm, so in a sens , they are "cutting the line". But I do understand your point of view, I just dont agree whit it (and since those are point of views, no need to argue about those) but I will consider it ^^
    edited January 2014
    Has if I had a big red vein growing on my forehead :p

Nah bad choice of word, English is not my native language I didn't think "chill out" was that strong , sorry :/

anyway when I'm looking to the zone chat I just a big mess. + I made a recent Thread about the community and "discovered" that most ppl turn off the zone chat.
    So I really think you've got more chances to find a group using the LFG :)
  • bioshrikebioshrike Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 4,729 Arc User
    edited January 2014
    Personally, the solution is to park a real live GM in PE. If someone posts LFG or Trade stuff in general zone chat, that GM can send them a very simple premade message which states "Please use the proper chat channel for LFG or Trade messages. This is your first warning." If they repeat this again, they'll get a 2nd warning, a 3rd warning, and finally be muted for 24 hrs.

Yeah, it sounds harsh, but if you do this for a time, people will "get it", and you'll see an end, (or at least a great reduction), in this behavior.
    <::::::::::::::)xxxo <::::::::::::::)xxxo <::::::::::::)xxxxxxxx(:::::::::::> oxxx(::::::::::::::> oxxx(::::::::::::::>
    "Is it better to be feared or respected? I say, is it too much to ask for both?" -Tony Stark
    Official NW_Legit_Community Forums
  • ordensmarschallordensmarschall Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 1,060 Bounty Hunter
    edited January 2014
    Parking a GM in PE would solve a great number of problems with zone chat, beyond messages being posted in the wrong chat window.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • bioshrikebioshrike Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 4,729 Arc User
    edited January 2014
    Parking a GM in PE would solve a great number of problems with zone chat, beyond messages being posted in the wrong chat window.

Oh no doubt.. I figured we should start with baby steps... :o
    <::::::::::::::)xxxo <::::::::::::::)xxxo <::::::::::::)xxxxxxxx(:::::::::::> oxxx(::::::::::::::> oxxx(::::::::::::::>
    "Is it better to be feared or respected? I say, is it too much to ask for both?" -Tony Stark
    Official NW_Legit_Community Forums
  • vortix44vortix44 Member Posts: 680 Bounty Hunter
    edited January 2014
    If there is LFG in the message then the system should redirect it to the LFG channel.
    English is not my first language.
  • hobokenboyhobokenboy Banned Users, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 3 Arc User
    edited January 2014
    ....so people are forgetting that every MMO so far has "spam" of LFG and trade in zonewide chat? It's kinda like....one of those unwritten rule things, right next to "zone chat is toxic". What I don't get is why people worry more about what someone else is doing, rather than what THEY are doing. It's almost as if they've forgotten that the only person that can truly be controlled and made to do what you want them to do....is yourself.

Seriously, I don't get what the big deal is. So zone chat is a bit cluttered. You're complaining about people wanting to group up or trade things and get their message heard/read, when the rest of chat is just one big meme or anime-fest and equally worthy of silencing. Truthfully, do you carry on deep, meaningful conversations in ZONE chat? Don't you reserve those for team or private channels anyway?

Zone chat offends me not, for I have enforced the ultimate solution, and my world/gameplay is ever so much more peaceful for it.
    I have simply removed zone chat from my tabs altogether. It only affects me, and it is 100% under MY control, rather than me trying to enforce my will upon someone else. I suggest trying it out for size, you could be amazed.
    I'm unhappy and I can't say why.
    edited January 2014
    You can't mute ppl for 24h because they posted a message in the zone (general) chat.

A global chat is for everything, trade, lfg, discussions ...

I rather have some GM working on gold spammers and inappropriate behavior (insults etc) than on a guy searching a group in zone chat...