test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Pvp ??

thevillmeisterthevillmeister Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 15 Arc User
edited January 2014 in PvE Discussion
hey guys ive been doing low level pvp lately and rogues and CWs are owning lower brackets. i wonder if GWF or HR are doing fine at endgame pvp? specially GWF?
Post edited by thevillmeister on

Comments

• degraafinationdegraafination Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited January 2014
    hey guys ive been doing low level pvp lately and rogues and CWs are owning lower brackets. i wonder if GWF or HR are doing fine at endgame pvp? specially GWF?

Any class than thrive endgame, you just need the right build, gear, and guild. Sentinel GWFs are beastly to take down, CWs and HRs can dish out some nasty DPS. TRs can as well, and can also contest points for a long time. DCs can be so tanky you need more than one person to take them out.

Just play what you love. The rest will come in time.
    PWP_zpsf8f711ce.jpg
    Join Essence of Aggression: PVP-ing Hard Since Beta!
  • arcmoon99arcmoon99 Member Posts: 499 Arc User
    edited January 2014
    Endgame PvP has these currently popular OP builds for each class:

GWF: The Inescapable CC tank that never dies

GF: The Pinball machine

TR: Either the One shot wonder OR The unseen perma-stealther

CW: I'll Stand back here and Cast Ray of Enfeeblement and drop a MASSIVE mother****ing Ice Spike on your head

HR: I'mma gonna shoot you while you ain't goin' no where son

DC: I'm Just never going to die no matter how many times you hit me
    Arc, proud officer of Novus Ordo
    bannernwf_zps00ed5b05.jpg
    New to the game? Check out my build guide to give you an idea on how to set up your characters!
  • slushpsychoslushpsycho Member Posts: 657 Bounty Hunter
    edited January 2014
    Get to 60 first, as long as you are not playing a DC or GF then you shouldn't worry because the rest can always shine when u get good at them.

DC and GF both require decent skill and proper gear at the current meta in order to work.

DC is hardest to master imo, and DC requires a different mentality and play style apart from the rest.

GF wise, i strongly recommend you just roll a GWF, it is simply better than a GF in almost every way. Put it this way. Good GF would never kill a good GWF, but a good GWF always has good kill potential on a good GF. And GF dies so much faster in a 1 v 2, while GWF can break free from cc and kite using sprint.
  • thevillmeisterthevillmeister Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 15 Arc User
    edited January 2014
    arcmoon99 wrote: »
    Endgame PvP has these currently popular OP builds for each class:

GWF: The Inescapable CC tank that never dies

GF: The Pinball machine

TR: Either the One shot wonder OR The unseen perma-stealther

CW: I'll Stand back here and Cast Ray of Enfeeblement and drop a MASSIVE mother****ing Ice Spike on your head

HR: I'mma gonna shoot you while you ain't goin' no where son

DC: I'm Just never going to die no matter how many times you hit me

im more interested in "The Inescapable CC tank that never dies" sooo, is it a pure tank build? currently im on GWF and im planning to follow destroyer. is it a bad option?and im more like interested in an "anti wiz class" since i hate them in all MMOs. rofl
  • degraafinationdegraafination Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited January 2014
    im more interested in "The Inescapable CC tank that never dies" sooo, is it a pure tank build? currently im on GWF and im planning to follow destroyer. is it a bad option?and im more like interested in an "anti wiz class" since i hate them in all MMOs. rofl

You want to go Sentinel path with focus on CON and DEX (or possibly STR). That's the "tankiest" you can go.
    PWP_zpsf8f711ce.jpg
    Join Essence of Aggression: PVP-ing Hard Since Beta!
  • thevillmeisterthevillmeister Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 15 Arc User
    edited January 2014
    what about the tankish DPS build of GWF? does it works fine?
  • aulduronaulduron Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 1,351 Arc User
    edited January 2014
    A Destroyer doesn't have the survivability of a Sentinel, but can still be a beast putting out lots of damage.
    edited January 2014
    so sentinel GWF is more OP than destroyer GWF?
  • munkey81munkey81 Member Posts: 1,322 Arc User
    edited January 2014
    I've never played a GWF past lvl 10 so my knowledge(other than fighting against them), is slim on builds.

The meta is the tanky Sent atm and even a terrible player can do well at this. A skilled player is near unkillable.

I'm not sure which build this guy is using, but it seemed something out of the norm, and he seems to do well with it.

I didn't see much of a challenge for him in these videos as I'm assuming he was pugg'ing, so not sure how it holds up against a skilled equally geared player, but just the same, you should check it out =)

http://nw-forum.perfectworld.com/showthread.php?578471-A-couple-of-PVP-Videos-I-made-GWF
    edited January 2014
    thats some pretty huge crits. thanks for the inspiring videos on GWF. rofl. now imma go my own build rofl.
  • pando83pando83 Member Posts: 2,564 Arc User
    edited January 2014
    munkey81 wrote: »
    I've never played a GWF past lvl 10 so my knowledge(other than fighting against them), is slim on builds.

The meta is the tanky Sent atm and even a terrible player can do well at this. A skilled player is near unkillable.

I'm not sure which build this guy is using, but it seemed something out of the norm, and he seems to do well with it.

I didn't see much of a challenge for him in these videos as I'm assuming he was pugg'ing, so not sure how it holds up against a skilled equally geared player, but just the same, you should check it out =)

http://nw-forum.perfectworld.com/showthread.php?578471-A-couple-of-PVP-Videos-I-made-GWF

He's not sentinel, he's instigator. He says it in the thread. Instigator, like destroyer, is far from being unkillable. It's just that in the videos he's Always backed up by mates or in 1v1 situations. P. Vorpal on a damage build iron vanguard, with stun rotation frontline+takedown+IBS. You see, for example, how fast his HP goes down in the 1v1 of the first video. In 2v1 he would most likely get killed. 3v1 not even possible with such build. Not against equally geared/ skilled players.

It's a good example of how to play a DPS build in PvP: try to not go alone, instigator gives his best when fighting within his Group. Target squishy enemies and finish them off fast.

For PUG PvP, DPS builds can be viable if played and specced well. For end-game PvP, i guess they are less viable since the fixed tactic usually requires a sentinel tank to go contest the enemy base alone. May be things can change in the future, expecially if some changes are made to GWF tanks.
  • marrghaan002marrghaan002 Member Posts: 6 Arc User
    edited January 2014
    for end game pvp go for GWF... they are way too OP... beasts that 3 ppl cant kill and they have very nasty attack and amazing pvp encounters... just check for build guides on internet...
    btw... in pvp GWF can be hard to play on low lvls if u are not good geared...
    edited January 2014
    im going to try destroyer GWF first i think and go for the sentinel later and find which one suites me.
    edited January 2014
    if anyone could send me a pvp sentinel powers+feats ( with images ) that would be great. The only build i can find in the forums is the PVE sentinel. Btw where should i spend my ability scores?.should i got iron vanguard or sword master?thnx

Edit: my bad for double posting :)
    edited January 2014
    if anyone could send me a pvp sentinel powers+feats ( with images ) that would be great. The only build i can find in the forums is the PVE sentinel. Btw where should i spend my ability scores?.should i got iron vanguard or sword master?thnx

Edit: my bad for double posting :)

You can find in the barracks section a guide by steamroller for a full tank build (100% defense).
    For a more balanced build, may be you can find something older.

As a sentinel, if you just go for the kills and play for your own sake, you may seem OP.
    If you go premade, instead, as a sentinel you usually have to face multiple enemies to contest the enemy base.
    Also, you are a meat shield. It's good, for example, to run around/ stay close to your CWs and DCs if an enemy HR/ TR is focusing them. You usually mess up their aim, and intercept the damage, acting as a meat shield for your squishier team mates. That's what your survivability is for. You have to engag
  • pherrowpherrow Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 416 Arc User
    edited January 2014
    im going to try destroyer GWF first i think and go for the sentinel later and find which one suites me.

No trying to discourage you from playing within what you believe to suit your play style but I wouldn't waste time with a destroyer build for PvP. It may seem beastly while you're leveling but at 60 it's a different ballgame. At 60 you may have a couple of good games but when you run into some heavy hitters and start to realize your skill and build isn't quite enough...you'll be thinking "I shoulda went Sent" as you get sprinkled over the camp fire for the next 10 minutes (should you decide not to leave the match).
    edited January 2014
    how about this build? http://nwcalc.com/gwf?b=pa7:27rh9s:1dbkts,13ilx00:100000:100000:1z055v&h=0&p=smr
    for ability score im going for str and con.

feel free to edit and put the right build. i want to be very tanky with decent dps. not a pure tank
    PVP:
    dailies: cresendo + slam
    features: bravery + weapon master
    encounter: takedown+ibs+flourish
    at wills: surestrike + weapon master strike

PVE:
    ????
  • jonkocajonkoca Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 2,586 Arc User
    edited January 2014

with regard to the HR ive been playing one in hybrid melee/range mode for a while with gs around 11k and one artifact plus 5/6 level gem enchantments. its set up feat-wise toward more melee damage, with binding shots and stealth along with rush and foxes cunning strike. anyway, its great if you have any element of surprise, and dont mind juggling a lot of key-presses, at the moment, with a little luck, I can shoot from distance, close, hit, escape and shoot again to finish for about 25k+ damage all in the space of about 4 seconds.

okay, if i get caught alone, I die horribly, but often i get away scot-free, leaving dead or near dead people in my wake, even tanks sometimes.

just a thought.
    No idea what my toon is now.
    edited January 2014
    how about this build? http://nwcalc.com/gwf?b=pa7:27rh9s:1dbkts,13ilx00:100000:100000:1z055v&h=0&p=smr

feel free to edit and put the right build. i want to be very tanky with decent dps. not a pure tank
    PVP:

PVE:
    ????

I personally don't care for that build. I use Student of the Sword for PvP purposes, powerful challenge for PvP and PVE purposes, deep gash for PvP/PVE and a little bit of Battle Trample for PVE. My damage is decent for PVE and I do well in PvP but...if you want to do great in either you might have to strictly focus what you want to do most, PVE or PvP.
    edited January 2014
    OP, as has been suggested by Pando, you should go to "class forums" then into "the barracks" to find more class specific information.
  • overddriveoverddrive Member Posts: 722 Bounty Hunter
    edited January 2014
    Get to 60 first, as long as you are not playing a DC or GF then you shouldn't worry because the rest can always shine when u get good at them.

DC and GF both require decent skill and proper gear at the current meta in order to work.

DC is hardest to master imo, and DC requires a different mentality and play style apart from the rest.

GF wise, i strongly recommend you just roll a GWF, it is simply better than a GF in almost every way. Put it this way. Good GF would never kill a good GWF, but a good GWF always has good kill potential on a good GF. And GF dies so much faster in a 1 v 2, while GWF can break free from cc and kite using sprint.

There is also the factor that GF's are cheaper to gear than GWF's. GWF sentinel, bis, is optimal, but a well geared GF is adequate imo.
    PanzerJäger HR Hybrid
    Jugger Conq GF
    edited January 2014

PVP:

PVE:
    ????

You want Great Weapon Fighter-Sentinel-Iron Vanguard. If you want an optimized build. What makes GWF's currently so overpowered is that they were recently given what used to be what made GF's special- the Iron Vanguard Paragon Path. If you don't want an optimized build but something that is ok in pvp/pve and fun to play (imo) you have some options. Prior to the recent major gwf upgrade the op tank of choice was the Guardian Fighter Conquerer build. You can still get a ton of mileage as a gwf conq, can gear it cheaply, can ragdoll, pinball, fold and spindle most other builds in close range pvp. But a well geared gwf iv sent will whittle you down in a few seconds, and when you think you've almost killed it it will suddenly be at full health. Or if you do kill it, it soul forged kicks in and a second later it is near full health.

I am not a fan of cookie cutter builds, even if optimized, so I play around with my gf conq and my new 60 gwf iron vanguard destroyer.
    PanzerJäger HR Hybrid
    Jugger Conq GF
    edited January 2014
    pherrow wrote: »
    I personally don't care for that build. I use Student of the Sword for PvP purposes, powerful challenge for PvP and PVE purposes, deep gash for PvP/PVE and a little bit of Battle Trample for PVE. My damage is decent for PVE and I do well in PvP but...if you want to do great in either you might have to strictly focus what you want to do most, PVE or PvP.

i Want to focus on pvp and a little bit of pve.any suggestions?
    edited January 2014

Tomorrow I'll pm you with my build, gear selections and short explanations of why I have chosen certain things. Keep in mind, I'm no expert. Use it as an idea that you may want to tweak.
    edited January 2014
    Also as a reminder, I do OK in PvP and pretty decent in PvE. The top dawgs will still bust my *** in PvP and I can hang with CWs suited up in High Viz but strong ones will smoke me in PvE.
  • rlrobrrlrobr Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited January 2014

Sentinel / Iron vanguard. Stack as much defense, deflection, life steal and HP as you can. Profit.
  • lewel555lewel555 Member Posts: 616 Arc User
    edited January 2014

The intrinsical odds that the TR has over the gwf do not disappear as levels go by (the TR is still undetectable by the gwf, still hits harder, still deflects all the hits, still perma dazes/disables, still a better range and so on). But providing the gwf chooses a certain path and is ready to put a certain amount in the game, he can become quite hard to kill. Still, it's a stalemete at best.
    edited January 2014
    lewel555 wrote: »
    The intrinsical odds that the TR has over the gwf do not disappear as levels go by (the TR is still undetectable by the gwf, still hits harder, still deflects all the hits, still perma dazes/disables, still a better range and so on). But providing the gwf chooses a certain path and is ready to put a certain amount in the game, he can become quite hard to kill. Still, it's a stalemete at best.

imo the cool thing about tr vs gwf in pvp is that it shows what pvp is like between two relatively well balanced classes. So skill becomes a much higher factor.
    PanzerJäger HR Hybrid
    Jugger Conq GF
    edited January 2014
    rlrobr wrote: »
    Sentinel / Iron vanguard. Stack as much defense, deflection, life steal and HP as you can. Profit.

You forgot the most important part: regeneration.

PvP--->regeneration. On high HP builds it's a 2k or more healing every 3 seconds, regeneration wall when you're at 50% HP, hard to overcome when mixed with unstoppable and some life steal.

PvE--->life steal (you continuously deal ton of AoE damage to multiple targets, which results in lots of healing from life steal)