test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

Psion Class

dongargondongargon Member Posts: 23 Arc User
edited January 2014 in PvE Discussion
I would like to play a psion class in this game base on the combat gameplay. I like how the Mesmer Class in Guildwars 2 as an unique gameplay of using deception to confuse the opponents with its clone and phantasm.
Post edited by dongargon on

Comments

• Options
    degraafinationdegraafination Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited January 2014
    Not going to be for a long, long time. Word is Druid (and possibly Warlock) are next. Psion is such an obscure D&D class that I'm not sure it will ever make it in. If it will, it's behind a long line of classes... Barbarian, Bard, Monk, Paladin, Avenger...
    PWP_zpsf8f711ce.jpg
    Join Essence of Aggression: PVP-ing Hard Since Beta!
  • Options
    ambisinisterrambisinisterr Member, Neverwinter Moderator Posts: 10,462 Community Moderator
    edited January 2014
    The thing about Psions is...
    While it is a relatively new class for D&D and/or very off the beaten path psionics have always been a rather commonish and feared enemy in D&D. Illithids, Aboleths, Beholders, Maenads, Thought Eaters...

From a player standpoint it would be cool to have barbarians, bards, paladins, monks...

But from a development standpoint making psions would open whole new interesting range of monster abilities and mechanics which could later be used to create the Psion Class.

In software development re-usability is a huge consideration. So while you might think Psion would be a long way off it could come much sooner than you think because it would kill two birds with one stone much better than a lot of other classes.

Plus I hate seeing more melee illithids than psionic and arcane illithids. ;)
  • Options
    ladymythosladymythos Member, Neverwinter Knight of the Feywild Users Posts: 637 Bounty Hunter
    edited January 2014
    Not going to be for a long, long time. Word is Druid (and possibly Warlock) are next. Psion is such an obscure D&D class that I'm not sure it will ever make it in. If it will, it's behind a long line of classes... Barbarian, Bard, Monk, Paladin, Avenger...
    Avenger? Heh, if we get that, I WILL create a GF called Captain Neverwinter, and a lightning-based class called Thora. :D
    The thing about Psions is...
    While it is a relatively new class for D&D and/or very off the beaten path psionics have always been a rather commonish and feared enemy in D&D. Illithids, Aboleths, Beholders, Maenads, Thought Eaters...

From a player standpoint it would be cool to have barbarians, bards, paladins, monks...

But from a development standpoint making psions would open whole new interesting range of monster abilities and mechanics which could later be used to create the Psion Class.

In software development re-usability is a huge consideration. So while you might think Psion would be a long way off it could come much sooner than you think because it would kill two birds with one stone much better than a lot of other classes.

Plus I hate seeing more melee illithids than psionic and arcane illithids. ;)
    On a serious note, did you ever played Vanguard: Saga of Heroes? While I thought the psion-class there was just a different type of mage, it did have an awesome feature I'd love to see here: You could send out your thougths to other psionists, which basically created a psion-only public chat. Rather silly, but awesome. :D
  • Options
    charononuscharononus Member Posts: 5,715 Arc User
    edited January 2014
    I'd rather see the classics implement first. Druid is big as is warlock imo. Paladin would be great as would barbarian, after all that if they want to branch out to psions it wouldn't be bad.

On a side note I think Cryptic missed the mark by not making GWF a Barbarian instead.
  • Options
    ordensmarschallordensmarschall Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 1,060 Bounty Hunter
    edited January 2014
    Never cared much for Psionics in PnP, but they are interesting to throw in every once in a while to keep things fresh. You do see a little bit of the possibilities for Psionics in the game, with the Grues, the Mind Flayers, and Brain Devourers. However Ambisinisterr is right in that they are ruined a bit with the melee attacks that they also have. It certainly seems as though the capability is there to make an accurate Psionic based character as well as monsters. I also agree with the other posters that there are a plethora of other classes that are higher on the list to get included.

Charononus is spot on with the GWF/Barbarian debacle, Cryptic needs to revamp the way they are handling the Fighter Class.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    edited January 2014
    The GWF is far from being a Barbarian, the barbarian is like a melee druid.
  • Options
    charononuscharononus Member Posts: 5,715 Arc User
    edited January 2014
    dongargon wrote: »
    The GWF is far from being a Barbarian, the barbarian is like a melee druid.

Ok, I'm not up on 4e, but ..., a barbarian is a (usually) 2H weapon killing machine that shrugs off damage with innate damage reduction, and boosts their damage with Rage a short time buff that increases their strength and constitution. They are usually illiterate with high str and con scores.

Druids, even melee ones don't wear metal armor, and only get proficiency with simple weapons and scimitars. Their main damage in melee comes from shapeshifting coupled with the ability to cast spells for both healing and damage.

I don't see any real simularities between druids and barbarians.
  • Options
    therumancer23therumancer23 Member Posts: 75 Arc User
    edited January 2014
    My basic attitude is that Psionics are fine, and they have been around since very early Dragon Magazine introduced the "Mind Flayer" and have been playable in one form or another since 1E AD&D. However they have always been presented as one of those "optional" things at least for players.... and a lot of players and DMs utterly loathe them since they take a lot of adjustment in games since you either have to have everyone ready for Psi all the time, much like magic, or psionics tend to blow through the unprepared like hot knives through butter since mental defense usually takes a very specific skill set involving the target also having some degree of mentalism, OR very high level spells/spell effects like "Mind Blank". Indeed in 2E they took a sort of lulzworthy approach to it in some cases where pretty much everything was either defined as being immune to psi, or having psionic talents (if you read some of the monster adaptions in the psionicist handbook if I remember).

To be honest they are easier to handle in a computer game, but at the same time they are one of those things that are very optional, and might actually rub some people the wrong way just by their inclusion.

To be frank it seems the Scourge Warlock will be the next in the game, since they were already itemized since Beta. Druid also seems likely from what a lot of people are saying. To be honest neither would be my first choice.

Really what I think Cryptic needs to do most of all is start working on their current characters and balancing them out better. The game had way too much of a DPS focus and there seems to be an overpopulation of Trickster Rogues and Hunter Rangers as it is, and the HR in particular seems like a problem child, which is why I think it took so long to be put into the game. I'll also say that the "Wizard" which is one of the most iconic characters in the game seems to be something of a joke, I wound up more or less abandoning my CW due to hating the way it plays, especially seeing as I do not grasp what Cryptic is thinking when it considers slows and stuff to be effective crowd control, not that it matters since most stuff dies so quick that it's not needed. In doing dungeons my "crowd control" was usually repelling <font color="orange">HAMSTER</font> off ledges or lifting them up in the air and then repelling them over ledges (albeit this was a while ago). I've played CC characters like Enchanters in EQ and this wasn't anything like that, I mean heck I don't even have a "Hold Monster" spell. For DPS it seems to largely come down to stacking debuffs and synergies and firing out tons of AoE, and really I think the HR has better "group" attacks with split shot in solo play seeing as a charged splitshot can wipe out entire groups of minions instantly with one shot a lot easier than a CW can (though they can set up similar things, just less directly than a "one button, kill group instantly" attack). In PVP they have been pretty much totally replaced for range damage by the HR... and really I think the Rogue has better "control" with stunlocks than the CW does. Personally I'd like a good old fashioned "battle mage" that plays similarly to the Hunter Ranger, give me magic missile or shocking grasp on one button, and a chargable fireball that works similar to split shot on the other, and stuff like that, then I'd feel more like a video-game converted D&D caster. I mean cripes, mages can't even throw a proper fireball and that's iconic D&D... so yeah, they need to work on stuff like this IMO before introducing entirely new types of classes. I mean let's get a basic, stereotypical, "blast and trash" mage like you expect before we worry about guys drawing on demonic power and alternative definitions of magic, or introducing a tree hugging variant of the cleric, but it's not my game. Maybe we'll get a "real" wizard once they complete those other projects.... and find a way to balance out the classes, having been messing with "The Foundry" recently the massive imbalance in this game has become readily apparent given how the difficulty of the same pre-defined encounter can vary greatly from class to class, more so than it should in a balanced game. I mean I've gotten comments about some things being "waay too easy" for HR players, but pretty much impossible for DC players for example. Things like CW, GWF, and TR seem to be more of a mixed bag, GF seems to be able to solo almost everything (I now play GF as my primary) but can be very slow and methodical, it's not the most exciting or flashy class, and as a guy calling himself "Therumancer" you can guess what kinds of PCs I tend to prefer. :)
  • Options
    edited January 2014
    A druid and barbarian have the same armor proficiencies, they called upon the the same primal power but use it differently. I barbarian can take on aspect of different animals and a druid can transform into different animals. both Druid and barbarians cast spells fuel by nature. The barbarian tend to enhance their attacks and defense with primal power. A good eg for how a barbarian would be is the last boss in Grey wolf Den.