test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Clerics and PVP

mcvaemcvae Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 20 Arc User
edited January 2014 in The Temple
So what r the best spells to use in PVP for a DC.
Post edited by mcvae on

Comments

• jazzfongjazzfong Member Posts: 1,079 Arc User
    edited January 2014
    No idea how to reply such question. (Jan 2013? wow!!).

As a DODC (which is the majority):
    PoD,SL,BoH,
    Healer's lore, Soothe
    GoF,HoF

IGNORE these. The rest u can use them depending on your playstyle.
    No best skill for pvp, just the most suitable skill for your team and most of the time depends on team average gear score.
  • tyrtallowtyrtallow Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 747 Arc User
    edited January 2014
    Soothe is about the only power I will probably never use in PvP.

Divine Prophecy of Doom has value as being our strongest mitigation debuff. I've seen it ignore block/unstoppable and as far as I can tell it cannot be dodged. It should really be seen as a debuff first and an AP gain power second. The AP gain is not worth the trouble of actually forcing it to proc, especially since it the AP gain seems to be inconsistent (try using it over and over on trash mobs).
    Bastion of Health is meh in PvP but is still somewhat viable, especially when feated. So is Healer's Lore.
    Guardian of Faith has value for being our only power that can knock a target prone. Prone targets, based on all the chitchat from the fighters' side of the forums, apparently do not benefit from deflection or other defensive stats. It would be nice if we can get this verified. Anyway the implication is that Guardian of Faith is actually one of our deadliest powers when used in combination with another player's powers in a controlled burst situation. At the very least, people can't just stealth/go unstoppable/dodge out of it like they would against HoF and they are left completely open to attacks after the first hit.
    Hammer is very situational. Most of the time you're better off using DA/HG but it still has its uses.

Most of our powers can be useful in the PvP, but these stand out:
    Sunburst - significantly helps us contest/defend a point and annoys the hell out of melee classes, except GFs
    Healing Word - more regen is always welcome
    Astral Shield - both normal and divine modes
    Astral Seal - fire and forget, and can mean all the difference for an ally going toe-to-toe against someone else
    Hallowed Ground/Divine Armor/Anointed Army - possible gamechangers
    You there. New to the game? Feeling overwhelmed? Maybe you think getting to end-game is impossible for a casual player like yourself, or maybe you just need to be around a community that helps each other stay sane and competitive with the latest news, current trends, random chitchat and most of all LEGIT (that is, we try to keep things fair) gameplay. If you don't mind being around quirky people and the rare occasional drama (one of our prominent TR members is apparently a mafia godfather) join nw_legit_community at http://www.nwlegitcommunity.shivtr.com/forum_threads/2330542.
  • esxcaesxca Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited January 2014
    Here is me on my low lvl twink doing some pvp http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f95L6nc5UMk&feature=youtu.be

I like to use chains, because rogues...
    sunburst. cause of the aoe heal and knockback
    healing word.
  • charononuscharononus Member Posts: 5,715 Arc User
    edited January 2014
    Divine mode astral shield under your gwf = win. I love clerics turning me into a god that thinks ice knives etc are yummy to eat.
  • scozzersscozzers Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 180 Bounty Hunter
    edited January 2014
    tyrtallow wrote: »
    Guardian of Faith has value for being our only power that can knock a target prone. Prone targets, based on all the chitchat from the fighters' side of the forums, apparently do not benefit from deflection or other defensive stats. It would be nice if we can get this verified. Anyway the implication is that Guardian of Faith is actually one of our deadliest powers when used in combination with another player's powers in a controlled burst situation.

Not to mention it's wide AoE heal which can crit and proc feats, including (if cast in divine mode) Linked Spirit.
  • jazzfongjazzfong Member Posts: 1,079 Arc User
    edited January 2014
    scozzers wrote: »
    Not to mention it's wide AoE heal which can crit and proc feats, including (if cast in divine mode) Linked Spirit.

It does crit and proc cycle of change, i used it when feated with Strength of the Gods along with Anointed Action when i go dps build last time. BUT the Aoe Heal is small, healing amount is small and its aoe is slightly smaller than a sunburst. I normally use it to buff and proc some feat or to burst down a escaping low hp guy. Still it is situational, 1 point or 3 points doesn't matter, as an advice use feated HG/DA/feated AA instead, these 3 dailies will always stay in your bar (2/3 i mean) depends on your role and play style.
  • scozzersscozzers Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 180 Bounty Hunter
    edited January 2014
    jazzfong wrote: »
    It does crit and proc cycle of change, i used it when feated with Strength of the Gods along with Anointed Action when i go dps build last time. BUT the Aoe Heal is small, healing amount is small and its aoe is slightly smaller than a sunburst. I normally use it to buff and proc some feat or to burst down a escaping low hp guy. Still it is situational, 1 point or 3 points doesn't matter, as an advice use feated HG/DA/feated AA instead, these 3 dailies will always stay in your bar (2/3 i mean) depends on your role and play style.

No doubt it's situational and the prone is it's biggest asset. My point was the fact that you get a proper heal on top of the CC shoudn't be left out. DCs heals are cumulative; lots of smaller passive heals flying off all adding up and proccing stuff (like Cleanse) can be a big help. I haven't bothered feating AA yet, preferring feated Exaltation just for higher uptime really, plus with all the temp hp flying around now, feated exalt + deepstone makes for some nice emergency healing. Still early days with AC though.
  • shadow5930shadow5930 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 502 Bounty Hunter
    edited January 2014
    speaking from a DPS cleric point of view, I hope I can help some.

I'm a DODC, as mentioned by others, this tends to be the majority of clerics.

I run with break the spirit, forge flame, astral shield. I use Brand of the Sun and Astral seal for at-wills. I run heavy dots as people like to engage and disengage. Even if they do manage to kill you, if you get them low, they may still die. I had a 1v1 last night with a CW that ended in mutual death. He killed me with a chill strike, then immediately died due to the 3 dots. You can be painful to people, just be prepared to be focused as a DC. Have AS handy, even non-divine it provides solid DR. Know the things that are best to dodge and best to ignore with the high DR. In the end, have fun. :)
  • seraphidseraphid Member Posts: 158 Bounty Hunter
    edited January 2014
    ^ i do exacly the same, also around 24% arp is a must have, good thing new sets and weapons got this stat.
  • diogene0diogene0 Member Posts: 2,894 Arc User
    edited January 2014
    A more interesting question: why do you want to play pvp as a DC? :confused:

I can give you my pvp spells layouts if you want but as long as you don't answer my question it's a bit pointless:
    - defensive: sun burst, forgemaster's flame (normal), astral shield, astral seal and sacred flame.
    - debuffer: sun burst, divine glow, astral shield (or chains), astral seal and sacred flame.
    - aggressive: sun burst, daunting light, chains of blazing light, brand of the sun and astral seal.
  • fentfvfentfv Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited January 2014
    Personally, I use the following:

- Astral Shield (always divine, if I haven't totally drained my DP)
    - Chains of Blazing Light
    - Sunburst

At-wills:
    - Sacred Flame
    - Astral Seal

This skill set is not designed to kill. Instead, it's designed to keep your party healthy as well as provide you with tons of Assists. Basically, anything you touch, you get an assist. Drop an Astral Seal on every target you see (keeps your team alive), throw out Sunbursts in a crowd (lots of assists + damage + heals) and keep those Astral Shields up. Sacred Flame does nearly as much damage as Lance of Faith, but also gives your party a quick shot of temporary HP. Basically, with this build, I often top the score charts for my team, primarily from all the assists and caps.

I also have the Grand Templar set, which pretty much gives a Crit build. With the Repurpose Soul feat, anything I crit exudes a small AE heal, and I crit a lot.

That being said, the true melee types (GWF and GF) are your best battle buddies. If I join a PVP group, and it's composed of all CWs and HRs, I just leave. I can still stay alive for a long time, but I can't be THE group tank. I won't be in a group of "plinkers." I also include TRs in this category.

As far as tactics go... Stick with the tank. Astral Shield on point, dodge, drop Astral Seals, dodge, drop Sacred Flame (3 times on same target), Sunburst, etc. You can use Chains either during combat (to give your team someone to beat on) or as a simple "speed bump" to slow down enemies approaching a point that you're trying to cap.

There really isn't much more to PVP. It's a completely different dynamic than PVE (the bad guys don't stand still in PVP). But given a few matches (or a few dozen), you can get the hang of it quickly.
  • hidahayabusahidahayabusa Member Posts: 634 Bounty Hunter
    edited January 2014
    Healing DC, Sunburst, Healing Word, Astral Shield for Encounters
    Astral Seal/Sacred Flame.

If Divine Oracle go Foresight/Divine Fortune and get Divine Armor/Guardian of Faith (or Hallowed Ground) for dailies.

The thing is that you need specific gearing for being able to sustain the PvP damage, and unfortunately you won't find it on the t2 epics.
    * Notorious Dwarven Bear Cavalry Leader *
  • slushpsychoslushpsycho Member Posts: 657 Bounty Hunter
    edited January 2014
    sunburst healing word astral shield

If it is pugging it doesn't matter all depends on play style.

High end premade lvl DC like the new path.

But again not everyone enjoy PVP as a DC, premade or not.
  • fentfvfentfv Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited January 2014
    A more interesting question: why do you want to play pvp as a DC?

Artifact :)
  • mcvaemcvae Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 20 Arc User
    edited January 2014
    thank you guys
  • mcvaemcvae Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 20 Arc User
    edited January 2014
    diogene0 wrote: »
    A more interesting question: why do you want to play pvp as a DC? :confused:

I can give you my pvp spells layouts if you want but as long as you don't answer my question it's a bit pointless:
    - defensive: sun burst, forgemaster's flame (normal), astral shield, astral seal and sacred flame.
    - debuffer: sun burst, divine glow, astral shield (or chains), astral seal and sacred flame.
    - aggressive: sun burst, daunting light, chains of blazing light, brand of the sun and astral seal.

Just after glory points. But would like to last more then 5 secs lol
  • tang56tang56 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users, Neverwinter Knight of the Feywild Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited January 2014
    mcvae wrote: »
    Just after glory points. But would like to last more then 5 secs lol

Go to auction house.
    Buy blue youth armor for head and feet and Angelic Gauntlets for arms. Get some defensive accessories.
    Equip.
    Queue for PvP and annoy people by being really hard to kill.

Unless the opposition are really weak, you simply won't be having a fun time in PvP wearing your normal PvE gear.
    RIP Neverwinter 26/06/2014