test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Fighter Defensive Powers

zardoz007zardoz007 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users Posts: 2 Arc User
edited January 2014 in The Militia Barracks
Both GWF and GF have a host of defensive powers at there disposable but you rarely see these powers being used for there defense boosts in groups.

GWF have Wicked Strike and Slam. These are used all the time and are decent powers. We just need to have Slam get fixed so it can crit properly like other daily powers. But these moves are not used for there damage reduction debuffs. And while using these I really dont notice a difference in the enemies damage. These moves are used for there AOE. And they are good Aoe Moves.

GWF's best defense power and probably one of the best defense boosts in the game is Daring Shout. A GWF can run face first into an entire group of mobs use Daring shout boost his defense and go unstoppabble faster with bonus determination. Holding off and tanking the entire pull until the rest of the party shows up to finish them off. Too bad GWF lack the threat to really hold that many mobs for an extended period of time to use Daring shout again and aid his team by tanking the mobs mid fight.

GF's have Iron Warrior, Into the Fray, Knights Valor and Fighters Recovery. All moves you rarely see a GF bring into PVE dungeons. Into the Fray is the most common one. Not for the temp HP it gives your entire party but the increased run speed and action point gain which is very handy in fights like Fulminorax and Valindra.

Fighters recovery is an excellent way for a GF to self heal, but it is most usful whil soloing to avoid using tons of potions. It can be powerful in PvP for the GF that just doesnt want to die.

Iron Warrior is simply a poor defensive buff. It is only really useful when you are low in HP and you get Temp HP based on your missing HP. Not really useful as an Encounter powerful. Far too situational and now we have Bloodcrystal raven skull if we really wanted that kind of temp HP on our GF. I have never noticed any true effect to the stronger block meter Iron warriors is supposed to grant the GF.

Knights Valor should be at the top of the list of PvE GF powers but it is not. The powers concept is flawed. It is never a good thing for one party member even the tank to absorb the damage of 5 characters would take. This gets them killed very fast. And it is far easier for DC's to spread healing out between 5 party members than focusing healing on one player taking most the damage. Even while standing in an Astral Shield GF's can fall from there squishy teamates taking too much damage. The flaw to Knights Valor is the GF does not get to apply his mitigation to the incoming damage he takes from party members. One of the many reasons why defensive build GF's are not popular. As you can have 6k defense use Knights Valor and your 1k Def CW takes a crit and you both drop.
Knights valor needs to be buffed so GF's mitigation works properly on incoming damage and the should increase incoming healing by at least x2, and we might see a bit more use of this move if still dangerous to use.
Post edited by zardoz007 on

Comments

• cyanbluestone007cyanbluestone007 Member Posts: 104 Bounty Hunter
    edited January 2014
    Yes it's true GF's need to have better defensive powers. But I would rather see a conversion of Defensive stats to threat. IE Defense, Deflect and bonus HP apply to giving a bonus % to threat. So a High GS GF of either Damage or defense is still making just as much threat as the other one. This way Defensive GF's will be more valuable and be able to be actual tanks.
  • masterjewstarmasterjewstar Member Posts: 563
    edited January 2014
    I like knights valor it works amazingly with supremacy of steel and you can block the damage to you; your allies are taking just by pointing your shield in their direction. It can get you to your dailies very quickly especially if you're using into the fray because of the ap gain boost.

While KV is up you can stand in the back and block the damage from all of them then move up to take adds while your shield recharges.

fighters recovery can heal extremely well almost 70-90% of damage to heal this can be used to allow you to tank longer.

Hitting 5 targets with enforcing threat will heal almost 8k or more; if you have a lot of power and crit which my gf does not.
    edited January 2014
    I like knights valor it works amazingly with supremacy of steel and you can block the damage to you; your allies are taking just by pointing your shield in their direction. It can get you to your dailies very quickly especially if you're using into the fray because of the ap gain boost.

While KV is up you can stand in the back and block the damage from all of them then move up to take adds while your shield recharges.

fighters recovery can heal extremely well almost 70-90% of damage to heal this can be used to allow you to tank longer.

Hitting 5 targets with enforcing threat will heal almost 8k or more; if you have a lot of power and crit which my gf does not.

You should check out Fighters Recovery and Enforced threat with a full DPS GF. Hitting 5 targets will heal you to full if you land a crit. But I dont agree that Knights Valor should be used as you say. You should not kill your Gaurd blocking the damage from allies. For a couple reasons. One your no where near the mobs doing this and you are making no threat. Two your gaurd meter is to protect you from CC so when you are fighting mobs you are not knocked flat on your <font color="orange">HAMSTER</font>.

Knights valor is for kiting mobs. You make threat at range with it when you a mob breaks of from the group your kiting to attack your allies. Stacking regen also helps with the extra damage your taking. But no your gaurd meter is too important to waste on taking normal hits
  • masterjewstarmasterjewstar Member Posts: 563
    edited January 2014
    KV is for protecting allies thats why its there it takes half damage for them based off of their mitigation and DR, and I'm not saying just block all the attacks for them that would be dumb; just the ones that hit them really hard. You can use enforced threat and the stab from block to get aggro and kite them way better than with KV; and when you block for them you get AP and in so doing you can get fighters recovery faster. It is used to make sure your allies don't get hit 10k and instead only 5k.

And if you are a full dps GF; why are you using KV in the first place? If you're a conqueror build then you shouldn't be blocking that much anyway.

Like I said my GF isn't dps. It's a full tank so I can take damage and be able to block more than a dps anyway.

I do agree about the threat from the KV being good. But if the allies are still attacking said creature and they are dps or a cw then KV won't get them off often.

As for the CC immunity we have a daily for that too.
  • twstdechotwstdecho Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Knight of the Feywild Users Posts: 630 Bounty Hunter
    edited January 2014
    I will only use Knight's Valor if I am running with a guild group as I trust them not to stand in the red. I tend to run with Into the Fray for DD's to help everyone else generate AP faster and speed things up in general. When we get to boss or certain tough fights, I'll also swap into Knight's Challenge. Sure, it boosts my damage a bit, but I'm not focused on DPS, I use it more to reduce damage that the party takes. Though dropping the Anvil of Doom while locked into the challenge can be a wicked blow.
    edited January 2014
    twstdecho wrote: »
    I will only use Knight's Valor if I am running with a guild group as I trust them not to stand in the red. I tend to run with Into the Fray for DD's to help everyone else generate AP faster and speed things up in general. When we get to boss or certain tough fights, I'll also swap into Knight's Challenge. Sure, it boosts my damage a bit, but I'm not focused on DPS, I use it more to reduce damage that the party takes. Though dropping the Anvil of Doom while locked into the challenge can be a wicked blow.

I think your right about that Knights Valor is not for pug groups when you clear trash. bad players will stand in red and get you killed really fast even if your full defensive spec as you dont get to use your mitigation against the damage you take half the damage that a CW takes from the blow which is probably twice the damage you would of taken if you got hit directly. And when you die as a GF it makes you look bad, not the player that got you killed. And thus adding to the GF's bad reputation, and in my conviction that pure defense spec GF's are a bad. I respect hybrid half and half enough damage for threat and enough defense so you never have to change your gear to kite.

Yes I am full Conquere spec GF, but I have a full set of Regen/HP gear for when I need to kite. I have enough gear to even use Knights valor in trash figths and not die but why would anyone ever do this. I take less damage from mobs in my DPS gear than I do from absorbing a blow from the CW, and I make alot more threat in DPS gear ensuring that I hold all the mobs attention like a tank should.

Other players want to see the Fighter on the front line period, you need to control aggro you need to control the flow of the battle to be a good fighter and one other players want to play with. You do not stand in the back glow blue and hold your shield up towards your allies and not the mobs to reduce your parties damage by half. They still get hit with CC, CW's hate being the target of big attacks and having to kite and fight at the same time. And GWF's will begin to think they are better than you, and they are not.

Knights valor is a pretty bad move, it gets you killed why should any fighter move do this?, for its cooldown and duration and sole purpose being a move for the pure defensive spec GF, it should be as valuable and as useful as Astral shield is for DC's