test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

GWF Tips and Tricks

deathsremnantdeathsremnant Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 185
edited January 2014 in The Militia Barracks
Well I see a lot of complaints about GWF, and honestly with the new iron vanguard paragon path most are understandable, but the biggest issue I see is players not knowing how to deal with a GWF. If you learn their weaknesses they become "less" annoying...but still really annoying.

Prone attacks: A GWF can't pop unstoppable if they're knocked down, before focusing one (Which you should always save for after you've killed any CW/HR/TR's or DC's) have someone on your team knock them down (Chain knockdown if you can) Then it's best to attempt to burst them down quickly. A TR or CW can generally do this well.

Bait the unstoppable: Know how many people just stand there while I'm unstoppable on my GWF? (Even other GWF's) The temp HP/heal/+ dmg resist makes killing a GWF while unstoppable really annoying, on top of CC immunity...when you see him pop it create distance, as soon as it stops go back to step one, prone then burst. (It's basically how I fight other GWF on mine, Frontline surge/knock back/ dmg, he pops unstoppable - I sprint away till it ends, rinse repeat)

Only downsides GWF are how easily they're kiteable, especially if they didn't go Iron Vanguard (No Threatening Rush spam) Abuse it, once their sprint is over they're pretty screwed.

Last tip: Play one, best way to find weaknesses with a class is to play it yourself. Hope this helps. :3
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• Options
    mehguy138mehguy138 Member Posts: 1,803 Arc User
    edited January 2014
    The only really OP thing abut GWFs right now is Threatening Rush spam. You literally can't escape it (well, HRs actually can with strong GRs). Sentinel ones with high deflect are very hard to burst. Swordmaster GWF sucks hard now.
    M6 almost drains your soul given how boring it is. (c) joocycuzzzzzz
  • Options
    degraafinationdegraafination Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited January 2014
    I started a little thread for CWs here. I need to update it since Module 2, but much of the theory is the same. My two mains are a Sentinel GWF (IV) and a CW, so I like to think I understand both sides of the battle.
    PWP_zpsf8f711ce.jpg
    Join Essence of Aggression: PVP-ing Hard Since Beta!
  • Options
    kolatmasterkolatmaster Member Posts: 3,111 Arc User
    edited January 2014
    Solid information here... Hope people read it, and learn from it. :)
    va8Ru.gif
  • Options
    overddriveoverddrive Member Posts: 722 Bounty Hunter
    edited January 2014
    mehguy138 wrote: »
    The only really OP thing abut GWFs right now is Threatening Rush spam. You literally can't escape it (well, HRs actually can with strong GRs). Sentinel ones with high deflect are very hard to burst. Swordmaster GWF sucks hard now.

As a nub I'll say you don't try to escape specific attacks because that gwf is probably in full attack mode, which means you spam dodge as you attack, mixing lateral dodge (a and d buttons) with forward and back dodge (w and s). It is also how you kite him out of combat advantage, or into combat disadvantage, off the node, out of the general scrum where he is most dangerous. Spam dodging will get you away from threatening rush without you even realizing it. Its like playing pool, be in an area where you want HIM to be. I always have my dodge/sprint bound to my right mouse button because for me the left hand is already just about tied into knots without also having to tap shift+a/d/w/s.
    PanzerJäger HR Hybrid
    Jugger Conq GF
  • Options
    ortzhyortzhy Member Posts: 1,103 Bounty Hunter
    edited January 2014
    all nice and cool... but like any decent tr a gwf can abuse los and regen hp/ recover stam all day long vs your range. I agree the burst shuts it down only problem is that now they have dmg as well as resist and you need to burst it twice with the new soulforge. Ignore a gwf and it will destroy you. As a GWF i tell you that a a GWF with a spot on connection is impossible to kill in pvp as they have everything speed/ dmg /resistance/ gap closers.
    It feels rly good in pve but as pvp goes it does need a bit of tuning as well as other classes specific specs and i hope module 3 will bring that balance if only in playing people of the same lvl as you and will still be an improvement even if they let classes as they are. But please dont try to make GWFs seem like a vulnerable class ...
  • Options
    frywellfrywell Member Posts: 13 Arc User
    edited January 2014
    Let me TL;DR this: How to fight a GWF? If IV, prone him. If your class can't prone, though luck. The end.

Sadly, that's very true.
  • Options
    kweassakweassa Member Posts: 2,390 Arc User
    edited January 2014
    Actually, the one thing that needs to be looked into that makes them OP, and that one thing which GWF players hope actively try to not mention, is the frequency of how they can pop Unstoppable -- especially within large-scale engagements. Their damage, their multiple knock-CCs, their tough defenses, every advantage they have over others, it can all be countered with a specific method -- except Unstoppable. Once Unstoppable is popped, every countermeasure becomes uselss, and the easiest method of countering it becomes bringing in a GWF, or a very experienced GF on your own team.

It may be viable to time their Unstoppable when the engagement is small-scale, 2vs2 or less, but in the all-out battle that ensues right after the game begins, frankly, unless with a very coordinated and trained team all on teamspeak following orders from a single leader, its pretty much unrealistic to expect the normal level of players (including the better premade teams) to be able to exactly counter a GWF in their 'roid rage.

Determination-Unstoppable mechanics need to be changed. I don't want it coming down to the low frequency levels of AP--Dailies, but frankly, this is too much. The window of vulnerability they are in is way too small, and the more you concentrate on that window, the more the window closes rapidly until Unstoppable is fired up again.

Or, alternately, the CC immunity may be limited to a few types -- not all. Maybe immune to stuns/knocks, or maybe just immune to roots... but seriously.. immune to stuns, knocks, dazes, roots, slows... everything... and then the frequency of that total immunity.. it's overboard.
    Stop making excuses. Be a man.
    If you know something to be broken, stop using it.
    Otherwise, you've got no right to be speaking of 'balance.'
  • Options
    solamniesolamnie Member Posts: 46 Arc User
    edited January 2014
    Then how should GWF's avoid getting killed if people actually use these tricks?
  • Options
    edited January 2014
    solamnie wrote: »
    Then how should GWF's avoid getting killed if people actually use these tricks?

Obviously, people talk way better a fight than actually doing it. :)
  • Options
    wdoubled2wdoubled2 Member Posts: 6 Arc User
    edited January 2014
    kweassa wrote: »
    Actually, the one thing that needs to be looked into that makes them OP, and that one thing which GWF players hope actively try to not mention, is the frequency of how they can pop Unstoppable -- especially within large-scale engagements.

This may be one approach. There are a few more with validity as well, but like they say the first step is in admitting there is a problem, and anyone who isn't biased can see the GWF imbalance ATM, specifically in PVP. Not sure how/why they took the same class (Fighter) and split into overpowered (GWF) and underpowered versions (GF). A bit of an over-simplified description, I know, but I believe most out there can see this pretty easily. Just not sure why there allow it to continue without at least TRYING to do some re-balance issues.
  • Options
    schweifer1982schweifer1982 Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 1,662 Arc User
    edited January 2014
    I have GWF too and i can say good HR can kill GWF with eas perma hide TR too .
    So 2 class can defeat GWF in 1 vs 1, i dont see any unbalance here.
    CW can kill TR and HR .
    + The new DC are much more harder to kill .
    I think we have NOW class balance.
    But as a GWF i always target HR & CW cuz if y dont realise treath then y are done in 3 sec. Even if y are mighty sent.
    + The new paragon GF can kill it too in 1vs1 .
    GWF 3700Ilvl Éjsötét & ProPala 3200Ilvl Menydörgés (main) & Szürkefarkas 2600 ilvl
  • Options
    edited January 2014
    I have GWF too and i can say good HR can kill GWF with eas perma hide TR too .
    So 2 class can defeat GWF in 1 vs 1, i dont see any unbalance here.
    CW can kill TR and HR .
    + The new DC are much more harder to kill .
    I think we have NOW class balance.
    But as a GWF i always target HR & CW cuz if y dont realise treath then y are done in 3 sec. Even if y are mighty sent.
    + The new paragon GF can kill it too in 1vs1 .

1. PvP isn't a 1vs1 duel. Class balance is not measured in a 1vs1 scale.
    2. The combat/tactical value of a GWF in a team, in an open engagement, outweighs everyclass by far.

It doesn't matter if you can actually kill a GWF with a GF or a HR when you meet him 1-on-1. What matters is a GWF in the opponent's team -- if your team does not have anything that can pin him down -- basically crushes your frontline and opens up all the enemy players into your rear line. Good luck killing a GWF when you have enemy CWs and TRs free to gank up on you.

Like mentioned before, the amount of damage a GWF wields, the chain-CCs he dukes out, his toughness and resilience to damage, the godforbidden amount of heals he receives from his class synergy with regen... all of this still can be countered with team tactics -- even if you don't have any real fighter classes in your team. But, the thing is, those tactics only work when the GWF can be CCd, and therefore exposed to enough sustained fire to be brought down.

Yes, there is an initial window of vulnerability in the very first combat... many GWFs are so smug, headstrong and plain ol' cocky, that they often think they can hold down 2~3 people by themselves and will not hesistate to charge in. If his backup arrives too late, then usually he is brought down -- but if he can survives until the very first activation of Unstoppable... then the game balance just tumbles apart. He is literally "unstoppable" almost ALL the the time. When you have 3~4 people trying to focus him down, then his own 4 teammates are free to take your teammates out one by one. If you try to ignore the GWF, then he runs free and kills whatever he wants.

It's a big dilemma for teams without a GWF or at least a GF of their own, and when the difficulty rises so hard in trying to counter a specific class or multiple class composition, then whether it is possible or not is not the problem. The fact that it (sometimes) requires almost inhuman levels of skill or stat/spec advantage to counter it, means something is really the problem.

That being said, despite the usual complaints of how they'd allow a single class to move the fastest, hit so hard, chain-CC someone, be so tough, have such powerful self-defense... I'm still willing to accept that as a "GWF". The single problem, the only problem that does tip the scale of the balance a little too hard, is that they go Unstoppable almost back-to-back in combat. When you know how important CCs are in this game, and their overall utility as a means of survival for ranged classes, when someone ignores every CC for that long a duration, and still turns it back on after only a matter of a few seconds... then that literally means there's no realistic way to expect for someone to be able to counter them.

There are always players who can. But those are few and far between -- enough to be considered abnormal.
  • Options
    ilsilenziosoilsilenzioso Member Posts: 23 Arc User
    edited January 2014
    Hello, i've got just a question: when you talk about the OP GWF Sentinel, you are talking about an end-gear/all enchant one, i'm right?

I'm demanding this because i play i GWF Sent and, whit 11k GS and 35k hp, i'm not OP at all. When a Cw CC me and a TR immediatly lashing blade me, i'm died. No chance to go Unstoppable, no chance to survive than just a couple of second. Ok, i'm not the best player of the world, i'm still learning to play my class, and i'm gearing up. My experience: from lvl 10 to 59, GWF is nothing special. CW, TR and now HR rules. When you hit 60, whit your horrible GS, you are welcome to hell. Good and better geared player smash you in one second. If, in the very late game, GWF begin finally hard to kill, i simply don't see where the problem is: until this moment, you have always got an hard time to play. On the other side, TR and CW play more easy from low levels, and good player perform well also in end game. Hope some more experienced player than i am can explicate me that thing. Thank you in advance

P.s. Sorry for my bad english, not my first.