test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

DC Suggestion

jabbyxdjabbyxd Member Posts: 0 Arc User
edited January 2014 in The Temple
I recently made a healer and well it's quite difficult to heal in a dungeon when people dodge heals or run in the way of people i was thinking.

Maybe cryptic would integrate a way to have a keybind set for the aiming heal skills.

Say you want to heal "poopybutt@<font color="orange">HAMSTER</font>" and he is the 5th person in the party.

You could have a keybind set to heal the 5th person in the party. (according to the order they are in on your screen)
I just think it would be awesome :D
Post edited by jabbyxd on

Comments

• bioshrikebioshrike Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 4,729 Arc User
    edited January 2014
    Well, a lot depends upon what level you are, and what type of content you are playing. Clerics in Neverwinter are more pro-active than in other games. You buff your team and debuff enemies to keep them up and fighting. For instance, two important powers are astral seal and astral shield - the first debuffs enemies so anyone attacking them gets healed, and the latter, (when cast from divine mode), heals and buffs anyone standing in the circle.

In short, you really don't need to target teammates to keep them up and running - many powers are location based or enemy-centered.
    <::::::::::::::)xxxo <::::::::::::::)xxxo <::::::::::::)xxxxxxxx(:::::::::::> oxxx(::::::::::::::> oxxx(::::::::::::::>
    "Is it better to be feared or respected? I say, is it too much to ask for both?" -Tony Stark
    Official NW_Legit_Community Forums
  • jabbyxdjabbyxd Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited January 2014
    bioshrike wrote: »
    Well, a lot depends upon what level you are, and what type of content you are playing. Clerics in Neverwinter are more pro-active than in other games. You buff your team and debuff enemies to keep them up and fighting. For instance, two important powers are astral seal and astral shield - the first debuffs enemies so anyone attacking them gets healed, and the latter, (when cast from divine mode), heals and buffs anyone standing in the circle.

In short, you really don't need to target teammates to keep them up and running - many powers are location based or enemy-centered.

I'm referring to the Aiming heal.
  • yokihiroyokihiro Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 510 Bounty Hunter
    edited January 2014
    Well this whole game is about aiming, it is not like in other MMOs where you simply lock on the tank and heal him and deal damage to the enemies he damages without thinking. I played Everquest 2 a long time and here you could just click the F-keys to target your party members - but there you could also just Tab around and lock on a target and fire stuff without aiming. Neverwinter is different in aiming so also for the healer. Learn to play around with it, it is no really so hard, I am playing a healer also. If you can't aim you party members get closer to them.
  • ambisinisterrambisinisterr Member, Neverwinter Moderator Posts: 10,462 Community Moderator
    edited January 2014
    The devs have acknowledged it can be a bit problematic to aim certain healing spells at allies and were/are considering options to improve those situations.

However, as yokihiro said this is a very aim-centric game. Adding in an automatic targeting feature into the game is not something the Devs are eager to add even for healing.

Do note this is me relaying developer comments that were made back around the May/June time period and I can't even find the sources at this time. Basically, although developers have noted the problem we have not seen any improvements to the mechanics.
    More than likely it's because they just haven't found a really good solution other than adding in an auto aiming feature. (blech!)

But the powers which are effected by such issues are extremely limited. Follow the advice bioshrike gave you and only user spells like healing word as a third option rather than a main source of healing. :)
    In fact I grumble and complain incessantly if I bring Healing Word on my bar. It just isn't/shouldn't be needed except in very specific situations.
  • morsitansmorsitans Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 1,284 Bounty Hunter
    edited January 2014
    Yeah, it's mostly useful to catch dudes who are NOT standing in your nice blue circles, or if you have an inherently spead-out team (all CWs and HRs, for instance), and in both those situations its pretty easy to focus on the target (as they're isolated). It's only rarely (though unarguably annoying when it happens) that the flaws in the targeting system are obvious.
  • tyrtallowtyrtallow Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 747 Arc User
    edited January 2014
    The thing is, as others have said, Neverwinter is a self-proclaimed action game. That means aiming and repositioning yourself so you can better heal your allies (and them repositioning themselves so they are always within healing range of you - something experienced players are expected to do) is the norm.

There seem to have been improvements done to targeting heals, but its subtle. Once upon a time trying to heal someone standing behind a pack of mobs was much more difficult, nowadays at least you only get to worry if they run around too much or hide behind your other teammates, as you said.
    Anyway it helps if you change your field of view to a better one. Try using /gfxsetdefaultfov to something like 70.
    You there. New to the game? Feeling overwhelmed? Maybe you think getting to end-game is impossible for a casual player like yourself, or maybe you just need to be around a community that helps each other stay sane and competitive with the latest news, current trends, random chitchat and most of all LEGIT (that is, we try to keep things fair) gameplay. If you don't mind being around quirky people and the rare occasional drama (one of our prominent TR members is apparently a mafia godfather) join nw_legit_community at http://www.nwlegitcommunity.shivtr.com/forum_threads/2330542.
  • plaviaplavia Member Posts: 540 Arc User
    edited January 2014
    I am a beginner as well so ill give you small beginner advice
    the game really start at level 60, up to level 60 you don't have all your powers equip etc.
    I don't advice to do direct healing, healing word is ok for low level but you will generate lot of thereat and die

simple healing guide will be:

astral seal the tough monsters, try to keep the boss always with astral seal on + the strong monsters. astral seal got more then 10 sec and its your best way to heal TR and GWF

sun burst is realy good for healing, no reason to knock back (unless u try to save someone or doing daily solo quests) the healing is not bad

forgemaster flame with divine gives good healing as well, its easy to aim, just check who needs healing and cast it on near monster

and ofc astral shelid with divine (allways with divine, even if you need to wait a few sec) mainly for you the CW and who ever take care of the adds

for some bosses you may not be able to heal a lot (but still astral seal always works), so you can change one or more of the encounters to deal more damage / debuff
  • xthebluespiritxxthebluespiritx Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited January 2014
    i honestly love how difficult DC can be, seperates the wheat from the chaff :)
  • silverkeltsilverkelt Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 4,235 Arc User
    edited January 2014
    Read Lazygamerz guide, is pretty useful to let you know the stuff that isnt useful at all. I didnt competly follow his specs, but it opened my mind to how a DC operates more..
  • lutz086lutz086 Member Posts: 30 Arc User
    edited January 2014
    Best think i can tell you is to take out all the healt bars except your party's and to lock those **** tr and hr whit their dodges with ctrl so wherever they move you'll folow :)
  • anatas07anatas07 Member Posts: 164 Bounty Hunter
    edited January 2014
    Wrong :)
    In most of the games the safe spot is near the tank. In this game the safe spot is near the healer. Stay with your DC, put trust in him/her. And never say "why didn't you healed me?" There is no harder curse for a healer than death of a team member if he/she can heal you he/she WILL, but is very hard to watch the tank and watch also a dmg dealer who is deep in the "red" and the priority of the healer is the tank - never forget :)

The "aimed" heal needs to be done nevertheless. Yes as a DC, I would definitely love to aim a heal by clicking on my team member icon.

If any Anarchy online players here, you know that in that game you can have raids up to 36 persons and there are some raid-bars which are associated with every member of the raid. You can heal or buf any of the 36 members by clicking his raid-bar and casting your stuff. You don't need to see him, only he needs to be in your range.
    If you see this and have the answer - PM me or answer real quick because this post will be removed
  • lazureelazuree Member Posts: 52 Arc User
    edited January 2014
    anatas07 wrote: »
    Wrong :)
    In most of the games the safe spot is near the tank. In this game the safe spot is near the healer. Stay with your DC, put trust in him/her. And never say "why didn't you healed me?" There is no harder curse for a healer than death of a team member if he/she can heal you he/she WILL, but is very hard to watch the tank and watch also a dmg dealer who is deep in the "red" and the priority of the healer is the tank - never forget :)

The "aimed" heal needs to be done nevertheless. Yes as a DC, I would definitely love to aim a heal by clicking on my team member icon.

If any Anarchy online players here, you know that in that game you can have raids up to 36 persons and there are some raid-bars which are associated with every member of the raid. You can heal or buf any of the 36 members by clicking his raid-bar and casting your stuff. You don't need to see him, only he needs to be in your range.

The reason NW is so fun to me is that you actually have to aim as people mentioned before. It makes me feel more immersed in the game rather then pressing buttons when I would realistically never be able to heal 1 specific person out of 36 people... The other classes do not have that many target abilities that are as important as healing word/soothing light in a dc and that is why I enjoy playing dc so much. Whenever I play cw it's more about arcane singularity placement and button mashing, but with dc I have to make sure I'm watching all my team members closely
  • lyaiselyaise Member Posts: 491 Arc User
    edited January 2014
    The devs have acknowledged it can be a bit problematic to aim certain healing spells at allies and were/are considering options to improve those situations.

However, as yokihiro said this is a very aim-centric game. Adding in an automatic targeting feature into the game is not something the Devs are eager to add even for healing.

Do note this is me relaying developer comments that were made back around the May/June time period and I can't even find the sources at this time. Basically, although developers have noted the problem we have not seen any improvements to the mechanics.
    More than likely it's because they just haven't found a really good solution other than adding in an auto aiming feature. (blech!)

But the powers which are effected by such issues are extremely limited. Follow the advice bioshrike gave you and only user spells like healing word as a third option rather than a main source of healing. :)
    In fact I grumble and complain incessantly if I bring Healing Word on my bar. It just isn't/shouldn't be needed except in very specific situations.

Point them toward the aiming mechanism as a Mystic or Priest in Tera. It's similar to NW in that there is no tab target aiming, but it does have a few lock on spells:- you have to pass the cursor across the target once you've picked the skill, then it locks on for a short while. It's a great mechanism in Tera and works really well. I'm sure a quick Google search will show it better than a written description.
    ...............vote for your favourite expansion..........
    "Mod 6. Oh my f****** god. It gutted the game pure and simple. And what wasn't gutted was messed up by the poorly thought out new level cap and equip. The game never recovered from that atrocity".
    ..............not this one then.............
  • morsitansmorsitans Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 1,284 Bounty Hunter
    edited January 2014
    I'm pretty sure HW targeting suffers from the same soft target lock that attack targeting does: I've healed a gormless red-loving TR (why is it always TRs?) with a HW and then aimed at a nearby CW, only to have the second HW arc into the TR again. I could be wrong (I do, after all, try not to use HW that much), but it wouldn't surprise me.
  • vorphiedvorphied Member Posts: 1,870 Arc User
    edited January 2014
    morsitans wrote: »
    I'm pretty sure HW targeting suffers from the same soft target lock that attack targeting does: I've healed a gormless red-loving TR (why is it always TRs?) with a HW and then aimed at a nearby CW, only to have the second HW arc into the TR again. I could be wrong (I do, after all, try not to use HW that much), but it wouldn't surprise me.

I usually find the HW soft target lock to be an asset. It helps prevent other players from accidentally dodging the heal or getting knocked out of the way. The reticule follows whatever target you had at the moment you cast the spell, which is usually a good thing, but yes, it can be inaccurate if you're trying to heal two different targets in succession who happen to be very close to each other.

In contrast, Exaltation's lack of this feature is a little frustrating in that you can have a clear bead on them but fail to hit them with the spell because they teleport, dodge, or get knocked back sometime during the fraction of a second it takes you to begin the casting animation and for the effect to manifest.
    Sacrilege - Warlock
    Contagion - Cleric
    Testament - Wizard
    Pestilence - Ranger
    Dominion - Paladin

NIGHTSWATCH

• jenisydejenisyde Member Posts: 198 Arc User
    edited January 2014
    Turn off all names/health bar except for your group. This will work WONDERS on your target Healing Word & Soothing Lights. I turn them back on sometimes during daily quests so I can see what i'm doing, otherwise it doesn't cause any problems.

Let me know if that helps. :)
    Jaylo
    Halfling - Devoted Cleric - Divine Oracle
    Neverwinter Tribunal
    <Genocidal Tendencies>
    www.genotendencies.enjin.com
  • nesshxnesshx Member Posts: 9 Arc User
    edited January 2014
    Just don't use direct heals, unless your built has totally 0 damage (recently I met a DC that was healing 100hp per astral shield tick while havint 14,7k GS, unfortunately he didnt give me his build), you should be healing more than enough with ff & as & as.

Also I would like to see "Hey guys im a <font color="orange">HAMSTER</font>" achievement for dying while staying right outside the astral shield circle. HRs & CWs love doing so.