test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

Discovering the world of CW's

pab77pab77 Member Posts: 26 Arc User
edited January 2014 in The Library
Hello fellow CW's, I just started my own RP CW - sun elf, and am having a blast so far!

However there are few questions I would like to ask to give me some understanding on a different aspect / experience of CW than the common discussed dungeon / top dps or control aspects. I enjoy playing solo for most of the time, which means while I don't shy off from dungeons or skirmishes (or grouping in general), I will spend most of my playtime on her by adventuring, leveling, exploring, doing foundry quests etc.

Is there a particular skill setup that would help her survive and beat content as a solo player (at times without the companion for story purposes) or the general dungeon setups are same? Main focus is being able to deal with minions and elites in mixed groups, as well as end instance (questing ones) minibosses - mainly immune to CC and tend to spawn minions to aid them.

Am still learning how to combo spells and create and mantain the buffs (clvl 15), and am used to kitting and positioning, but how much more difficult this adventure would be compared to my TR (clvl 52 which has been a blast with an answer for everything the game thrown at her)?

Thank you in advance!
Post edited by pab77 on

Comments

• Options
    vorphiedvorphied Member Posts: 1,870 Arc User
    edited January 2014
    Dungeon play becomes a completely different animal than the kind of playstyle you are likely to develop as a low-level solo player. You don't get most of your solid AoE powers until later on, and for most wizards they end up being your go-to for solo as well as for group PvE.

I can't think of anything to add that hasn't been beaten to death in the forums already. I wouldn't call a CW's adventure through the game "difficult" by any means since the class has strong AoEs, control, damage, and multiple dodges. A TR, by comparison, can slot powers and build so as to almost never get hit by anything, but it won't clear groups of enemies quite as quickly. TRs shine more in single-target situations and have less overwhelming AoE.
    Sacrilege - Warlock
    Contagion - Cleric
    Testament - Wizard
    Pestilence - Ranger
    Dominion - Paladin

NIGHTSWATCH

• Options
    shadow5930shadow5930 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 502 Bounty Hunter
    edited January 2014
    Chill strike on tab. gogogogo.

Heh, sorry.

So, yeah, chill strike for most groups will wipe out minions, freeze the elite. I leveled oppressor (not that you're there yet) and chill is an amazing tool. Did I mention it can keep stuff away from you while causing it to die, rapidly? :)

As Vorp said, most answers are on the forums already. My personal recommendation is focus on chill for leveling. You can always change to arcane when you get to end game.
  • Options
    edited January 2014
    Thanks for the replies! Yeah, my TR experience was amazing.

Well most of the forum discussions are focused on end-game content / campaigns / T2 dungeons etc, hence why I thought for leveling / adventuring a CW might employ different skills.

My main gripe is with the end quest bosses which are immune to CC - as I noticed for example that when something is immune to a CC effect is immune to side effects of said skill as well (entangling force not applying the dot even if the CC component is resisted) I presume they would be immune to dailies as well that pull mobs or have similar effects. And most of the single target spells seem to be of the stand and channel type (arcane missiles, ray of frost, ray of enfeeblement etc).

Is the shield a major component for a solo adventurer (and should be slotted in the spell mastery tab)? Thanks!
  • Options
    shadow5930shadow5930 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 502 Bounty Hunter
    edited January 2014
    Those bosses are the reason you bring along a GF.

Specifically, they won't freeze, but you can slow them some with debuffs. Ray of Frost will still chill them, just not freeze them completely. I only run shield in PVP when dealing with LB happy rogues. Ultimately, even if they are immune to CC, they make wonderful center points for your targeted AoE stuff. Like CoI, which damages, debuffs and does mean things to anyone in it's circle.
  • Options
    edited January 2014
    pab77 wrote: »
    Thanks for the replies! Yeah, my TR experience was amazing.

Well most of the forum discussions are focused on end-game content / campaigns / T2 dungeons etc, hence why I thought for leveling / adventuring a CW might employ different skills.

My main gripe is with the end quest bosses which are immune to CC - as I noticed for example that when something is immune to a CC effect is immune to side effects of said skill as well (entangling force not applying the dot even if the CC component is resisted) I presume they would be immune to dailies as well that pull mobs or have similar effects. And most of the single target spells seem to be of the stand and channel type (arcane missiles, ray of frost, ray of enfeeblement etc).

Is the shield a major component for a solo adventurer (and should be slotted in the spell mastery tab)? Thanks!

CC immune bosses and elites are rare outside of group dungeon content, and even then they tend to pose no significant threat to a CW. The majority of enemies in the game have very slow attack animations, allowing an attentive player to bait attacks and dodge or simply walk around the big baddie to continue attacking. The only solo quest boss I can think of that challenges this trend is the Rimehound boss in the Icespire area, who has a fast, damaging charge attack on a relatively low cooldown.

Chill stacks will accumulate on CC-immune critters, but they will not slow or freeze them. Oppressive Force will not daze a CC immune target, but it will push it around a bit (which is usually more of an annoyance to the caster, anyway).

Ray of Enfeeblement is not a channeled power. You tap it and forget it.

You grow out of Entangling Force in PvE later on when you have your full AoE kit and are sufficiently practiced and survivable so as not to need a single target CC. Steal Time and Shard provide sufficient control (assuming anything is still alive after you use one encounter).
    Sacrilege - Warlock
    Contagion - Cleric
    Testament - Wizard
    Pestilence - Ranger
    Dominion - Paladin

NIGHTSWATCH

• Options
    edited January 2014
    Awesome reply vorphied thanks! And yes I had in mind rimehound - which was a pain for my rogue as well until I figured the right skills for this particular fight :)

My stats will look like 24 Int, 18 wisdom and 20 charisma at level 60, are those ok or should I consider starting over to get better rolls? (am playing a sun elf).
  • Options
    edited January 2014
    pab77 wrote: »
    Awesome reply vorphied thanks! And yes I had in mind rimehound - which was a pain for my rogue as well until I figured the right skills for this particular fight :)

My stats will look like 24 Int, 18 wisdom and 20 charisma at level 60, are those ok or should I consider starting over to get better rolls? (am playing a sun elf).

Your stats aren't the biggest deal unless you have your heart set on a very specific distribution. You'll do fine with those, and you can always change your post-creation point allocations with a respec if you feel like it :)
    Sacrilege - Warlock
    Contagion - Cleric
    Testament - Wizard
    Pestilence - Ranger
    Dominion - Paladin

NIGHTSWATCH