test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

On-demand Patching - Bad Lag Fix

mrdogtasticmrdogtastic Member Posts: 1 Arc User
edited January 2014 in Bug Reports (PC)
You guys need to be aware that people are not playing Neverwinter as they log into the game play for an hour , lag so hard and rubber band they think your server is rubbish , log out for life and never come back

My mates and I were the same until I managed to find a forum entry about "On-demand patching" < I even spoke to a guy at work about the game and he told me he tried it but due to the lag he didn't continue with the game and I had not even discussed the "on-demand patching" or lag with him at this stage, this was what he thought about your game > I enlightened him and he is going to give it another go > You guys really messed this one up hard

FYI- for other peeps reading
In the launcher there is an option to turn off "on-demand patching"
By default the launcher does not download the whole game - it only downloads what it needs to run then downloads the rest of the game for the area your in while your "lagging hard, trying to play, thinking the server is the worse on the planet and you should be logging out for life" < This is the first and only impression your new prospective customers see

PW is killing their player base and turning massive amounts of new customers away thinking your service is rubbish
Either turn "On-demand Patching" off by default or have it very noticeable on your launcher that this option exists and what it does

Honestly we are only playing Neverwinter because I looked for a fix which no one does for lag issues
The GAME IS OMG Awesome and I honestly was going to never come back as I was under the same impression as most of your new customers would be - Disgusting server performance

I live in Australia and I have not had any lag since I turned it off
(Also note this is not related to my internet connection I have 100MB optical fiber link connection) I get a ping of 5 on Battlefield 4 etc but I still was lagging on Neverwinter due to this setting
Cheers
MrDogTastic
Post edited by mrdogtastic on

Comments

• charononuscharononus Member Posts: 5,715 Arc User
    edited December 2013
    People have been saying this since early open beta if not before. When you turn this off 90% of lag and 99% of dc's go away, and it always surprises people.
  • correlliscorrellis Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 3 Arc User
    edited January 2014
    Thank god, I thought it was just me but switching that option off now! ;)
  • gankdalf#8991 gankdalf Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 930 Arc User
    edited January 2014
    So the major lagging and rubber-banding during bossfights is because the game is downloading stuff?
    Its only downloading files when you enter a dungeon or an area. 30 min into a dungeon its not downloading any files..

▁ ▂ ▄ ▅ ▆ ▇ █ Gankdalf The Icehole █ ▇ ▆ ▅ ▄ ▂ ▁

• rhoricrhoric Member Posts: 1 Arc User
    edited January 2014
    If you have on demand patching turned on then usually that is why the lag or rubberbanding. I have had it off since I started back in May and don't lag or rubberband unless my computer is doing something like an anti virus update.
  • bendalekbendalek Member Posts: 1,983 Arc User
    edited January 2014
    I've also never had an issue with bad lag or rubberbanding as you describe, and I live in Australia! Which has arguably some of the worst internet speeds on the planet!

I have On-demand patching turned on, and the only time I've seen it patch anything is the first time I enter a map (which is pretty much never now), or if there has been a game patch which changed some content on the map, and even them it's generally only for a few seconds, which I can live with ...

Their have been occasions when the server has been pushed to it's limit and the game has lagged, like the launch day of Mod 2 and the HR, or the first day of the Winter Event, or a particularly good sale in the Z-Store (the recent Companion sale for instance) And then their is the oft mentioned HR Seismic Shot bug ... But apart from that, having On-demand active has not given me any issues ...
    Is it finally a T5/U/T6 KDF Science Ship?
    tacofangs wrote: »
    Nope, just a McKrenim Happy Meal toy.
    IMPERIAL AUSMONAUTS - STO Klingon & Rom-Klink Fleet.

My%20STO%20Sig%20Clear_zpsb3deonfo.png
  • h0wl1thh0wl1th Member Posts: 27 Arc User
    edited January 2014
    bendalek wrote: »
    I've also never had an issue with bad lag or rubberbanding as you describe, and I live in Australia! Which has arguably some of the worst internet speeds on the planet!

I have On-demand patching turned on, and the only time I've seen it patch anything is the first time I enter a map (which is pretty much never now), or if there has been a game patch which changed some content on the map, and even them it's generally only for a few seconds, which I can live with ...

Their have been occasions when the server has been pushed to it's limit and the game has lagged, like the launch day of Mod 2 and the HR, or the first day of the Winter Event, or a particularly good sale in the Z-Store (the recent Companion sale for instance) And then their is the oft mentioned HR Seismic Shot bug ... But apart from that, having On-demand active has not given me any issues ...

If it isn't clear yet, I know people that in the same house can't play together. They have identical computers, the same internet connection, the same game and the same options, but still one can play and one can't... It's not an on-demand off/on issue. Those who don't have issue should just shut up, not trying to tell everyone that everything's fine. That way we will never see the end of this tunnel.

And anyway, for those who are trying to do the impossible to make this game work, just stop. It's obviously a server problem or something alike; you can't do anything. Just keep that in mind.

Sorry if i've been rude, but I can't tolerate people that jump around saying "yeee I'm playing, I don't give a **** about you idiots staying logged out". Just stay out of these topics and have fun in the game
    Cheirisophos (TR WK) - Neverwinter Order
  • poisoncloudpoisoncloud Member Posts: 489 Arc User
    edited January 2014
    Well, on-demand patching is only responsible for some lag in some cases, although it can cause quite a serious lag indeed.
    However, it is not responsible for all lag issues in the game for sure, there is certainly lag related to graphics cards (esp. to "physical debris" effect), to CPU overload, to firewall obstructing the connection, to the ISP problems and to the servers hiccups as well and probably quite a few more issues...
  • xxmantaraxxxxmantaraxx Member Posts: 362 Arc User
    edited January 2014
    Its not just patching when your in a loading screen. I have watched patch downloads happen in zone and in PE while questing or just chatting. Disable it for a better experience.

Ara Atheanes GWF
    Traxus Atheanes GF
    Bastiel Atheanes DC
    Ellara Atheanes CW
    Keira Atheanes TR
    Sarasin Atheanes SW
    Jerkface McGee HR
    -MANTARA- OP