test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Loki's point holding PvP build

prochargedgtoprochargedgto Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 2 Arc User
edited January 2014 in The Library
IF YOU ARE A CW WHO IS TIRED OF GETTING TOSSED AROUND, AND IS UP FOR A CHALLANGING BUILD LOOK NO FURTHER!!

First off I would like to explain a little bit what this build is really for before some of you go off before reading and post something stupid.
-This build is purely for PvP, you cannot produce enough damage to keep up in PvE, the DPS is way too low to be efficient, while you can still participate in it it will take a considerable amount of time longer.
-While using this build you are not expected to be a glass canon and one hit anything with Icy Rays anymore. You probably won't even be using that skill.

Secondly, you must become a master at dodging if you play it right you can almost have infinite teleports, as seen in my video (pg. 2) my stamina comes back to full insanely fast.
This build is a defense build. You HAVE to understand that and remember that. If it isn't 100% sure chance that you won't get hit start backing away and dodge. The point of this is to survive longer and be harder to kill. My video doesn't exactly portray this but you will be required to take the defensive roll with this build.

Let's get on with the build!

Encounters:

Spell Mastery: Repel- most likely once they enemy team figures out that you're tanky and difficult to kill they're all going to try piling on you. With Repel not only can you push them all back, but with High Vizier you'll gain 3x 450 stacks of defense stolen from them, lowering their defense, and allowing you to do a smaller amount of DPS, and making you even harder to kill because you should have about 32%+ defense (32% should be the minimum you gain from hitting multiple targets).

Entangling Force- Alright, most people already use this skill just because of how useful it is in every situation. BUT, it is even more useful in this.
When you are in a 2v1 you will only gain 2x450 stacks of defense, so you will repel them which stuns them for a short period of time, then entangling force (preferably not the GWF because by now he probably has unstoppable ready and can get out of your prone) your target, leaving them in the air allowing you to dodge the other foes attack(s), also gaining another stack of 450 defense.

Shard of an Endless Avalanche- Again a lot of people use this, but most of them use it in SM.
You need to learn how to use this with one push, and get back to wherever you pushed it to push it again, and it will explode on your enemy, or you can cast it, and let it sit there until it gets ready to pop and when it is near its climax then you can push it onto your enemy. This does a very large amount of damage whether it crits or not.

Chill Strike- This one I am a little unsure on, it's useful for this but it is also very easy to dodge by CW/TR/HR, but is useful for GF/GWF because they can't dodge. You could also use Icy Rays as an alternative because no matter the class it will freeze your enemy to the ground allowing you to cast your encounters or at wills.

At-wills:

Magic Missile- Every CW should be using this no matter your build. Your at-wills will do the most damage out of all builds with this path. When attacking your foe whether EotS procs or not your storm class feature will do a lot of damage, especially if you crit.

Ice Ray- Same as above, only this will freeze your target extremely fast because of a feat. With oppressor you have 25% more chance to put a stack of chill on your enemy, thus freezing them very fast allowing you to repel, or anything. It is best when used with Chill Strike because that puts stack on and Ice Rays will follow but won't require as many to completely freeze him.

Artifacts:

This is a common discussion amongst every class. Personally I say Bloodcrystal is the best for all classes.
Especially for CW. You're in a 2v1 vs a TR with Bilethorn (not a perma) and a GWF with Vorpal. They're doing a bunch of dps on you and chances are that you will die before you completely kill them. Once you are as low as you think is safe to cast this, cast it. Giving you x%(depending on your artifacts level) temporary HP and 10% more. While the temp. HP is active you have time to regen HP, and pop a pot. You gain recovery and regen from this.
This is your primary artifact.

Lantern- You don't do much DPS, face it. You're going to want to squeeze as much as you possibly can out of everything without interfering with your defensive side.
Primarily you will gain crit and armpen with this.

Waters- This gives you defense and recovery. More free defense the better!

Here are my feats, rather than explaining what each one does individually I will go over the basic role and effect of this.

6fa276344296ecbd947f44528d37effb.png
39ab82b61b67c1cf2181a8229dc2d1d5.png
3d27c46e6830da0eb9da63582cf2be90.png
30955421e05aef02e1ff77e22b04fb50.png

I would have to say my favorite part of this build is that I only have 7s/8s/9 and it is already this awesome.

I will post a video later as it is uploading right now and it is time for bed.
I am posting this now so people can get a discussion going and try it tonight to see for themselves.

Just whatever you do don't expect to pump out DPS and steam roll everybody.
Post edited by prochargedgto on

Comments

• prochargedgtoprochargedgto Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 2 Arc User
    edited January 2014
    You're probably looking at this as saying "wow no crit or armpen at all". That's one new thing I am trying.
    In a pre v pre any CW knows that once the sent GWF gets unstoppable, he's unstoppable especially if you're out of dodges.
    With low DPS he won't be able to do it enough and you will be able to get more points.

In my video I will explain further, please be patient.

Edit- I posted the wrong screenshot for my stats, I will post the correct one tomorrow
    edited January 2014
    Let's get down into what does what.
    Let's start with feats:

Controlling Action- You will gain 10% of your AP whenever you use a control power, plus another 5% if you crit, making EotS giving you a very large amount of AP.

Toughness- You want as much HP as possible.

Fight On- Your encounters have 10% of their cool down chopped off. That's a nice chunk especially for you needing to attack to CC faster and more.

Wizard's Wrath- More AoE damage is a must. You want to take advantage of any damage boost related to what you're going to be using most.

Focused Wizardry- More AoE damage. Making your meatball, or Ice Storm do 18% more damage.

Prestidigitation- 1% stat rating, this could be swapped with Arcane Enhancement

Oppressor:

Severe Reaction- If you're getting beat on by a melee class you have a 15% chance to repel them back 5 feet and getting back 10% of your stamina. This is exactly what you need to get out of this fight and regen HP. Most likely it is going to proc multiple times so you can get a lot of stamina back.

Brisk Transport- Perfect Getaway. After you teleport you gain 10% run speed. It stacks 3 times. and with Severe Reaction popping you can possibly gain more.

Glacial Movement- This is how you freeze your enemy down so fast. In battle this is the perfect CC that can be used non stop.

Controlled Momentum- After you use a control power your at wills do 10% more damage. So far so good.

Shatter Strike- Ice Storm is used and after you use it you can freeze the enemies faster.

Renegade-

Reapers Touch- 15% more damage dealt by at-wills, making it a total of 25% at-will damage.

Critical Power- You gain 5% AP of total AP when you crit. Crit 5x in a row? BAM half way full again!
  • kozahmiekalkozahmiekal Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users, Neverwinter Knight of the Feywild Users Posts: 20 Arc User
    edited January 2014
    I've healed for Loki and we're a tough combination at 2. This is an incredible setup.
  • pers3phonepers3phone Banned Users, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited January 2014
    The build is very functional, however, if you are to truly be a hold pointing CW, this is less than ideal IMO. One of my friends has 38K HP with GG set. I'd say go for that instead if your purpose is to tank points. You can still work out decent defenses and regen, which will tick like crazy at 38K HP. You will end up with 2200+ ArP as well, so you will still hurt.

Also from my own experience, having 29K HP with 1000 def/deflect is insufficient sadly. Of curse, with Kozah assisting you, things change :)

Other small points:

- Waters of Elahzad will increase your Def and regen, I saw you mentioned it too, good as 3rd artifact
    - the new Fallen Dragon weapon set will balance 2200+ regen you will have with waters and also add some Life Steal instead, it's quite useful especially when you hit big
    - I cannot agree with MM - especially as an Oppressor. You only can jump-cast Freeze Ray, it's essential to kiting. Also you have a feat for it as Oppressor, resulting in a highly disruptive chill stacking build, so why even bother with MM, when you can perma freeze people so often and add chill to them from the jump&cast move
    -Why take the AoE feats? For Shard? I'd say for PvP 5/5 Learned Spellcaster is better overall.
    - Chilling Presence might be better than Storm Spell (that is if you go for what Oppressors usually go for and use Freeze Ray)
    - 3/3 Shield Might be needed for PvP for the cases you end up against some perma and you want to survive as long as possible. Since you're EoA and probably never pug, this is less relevant to you, since you will always have somebody with enough brains to understand it is not the CW that contests with the TR, and take over this job.

Thanks for posting this. There were 0 PvP related builds posted later, since most CWs nowadays enjoy other classes in PvP.
  • vorphiedvorphied Member Posts: 1,870 Arc User
    edited January 2014
    As much as I love High Vizier for all purposes, I do think the GG set could make an even better Control Sentinel setup with the potentially ridiculous HP pool synergizing with the high regeneration you will still be able to achieve with Skull + Waters + Blue Regen jewelry.

Granted, it wouldn't contribute as well to personal or to team damage, but it would be seriously annoying as long as you had high-damage team members to mop up.

Also, I'd consider taking those 5 points out of Reaper's Touch and putting them in Bitter Cold. Not only do you have to be quite close for Reaper's bonus to kick in, the bulk of your damage is going to come from encounters and class features (in the case of Sudden Storm), anyway. I'd rather have a flat 5% damage boost to all powers than 15% only to At-Wills used at close range.
    Sacrilege - Warlock
    Contagion - Cleric
    Testament - Wizard
    Pestilence - Ranger
    Dominion - Paladin

NIGHTSWATCH

• shadow5930shadow5930 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 502 Bounty Hunter
    edited January 2014
    As an oppressor player, I would have to agree about not using MM. I don't even have it on my bar atm. My oppressor is actually MoF spec, so I run with ray of frost and scorching pillar. When I played before mod2, I used storm pillar as my secondary. The AP gain was nice and freezing someone then setting up a full lightning pillar to hit them while I continued to freeze them was very useful.

That said, I tend to run with repel at all times in PVP. The ability to move people is so very very useful. Especially when you can freeze them through block/dodge. Or have it at 6 chill, just waiting for unstoppable to end to freeze a GWF. I like the guide, overall, very good read. :)
    edited January 2014
    pers3phone wrote: »
    The build is very functional, however, if you are to truly be a hold pointing CW, this is less than ideal IMO. One of my friends has 38K HP with GG set. I'd say go for that instead if your purpose is to tank points. You can still work out decent defenses and regen, which will tick like crazy at 38K HP. You will end up with 2200+ ArP as well, so you will still hurt.

Also from my own experience, having 29K HP with 1000 def/deflect is insufficient sadly. Of curse, with Kozah assisting you, things change :)

Other small points:

- Waters of Elahzad will increase your Def and regen, I saw you mentioned it too, good as 3rd artifact
    - the new Fallen Dragon weapon set will balance 2200+ regen you will have with waters and also add some Life Steal instead, it's quite useful especially when you hit big
    - I cannot agree with MM - especially as an Oppressor. You only can jump-cast Freeze Ray, it's essential to kiting. Also you have a feat for it as Oppressor, resulting in a highly disruptive chill stacking build, so why even bother with MM, when you can perma freeze people so often and add chill to them from the jump&cast move
    -Why take the AoE feats? For Shard? I'd say for PvP 5/5 Learned Spellcaster is better overall.
    - Chilling Presence might be better than Storm Spell (that is if you go for what Oppressors usually go for and use Freeze Ray)
    - 3/3 Shield Might be needed for PvP for the cases you end up against some perma and you want to survive as long as possible. Since you're EoA and probably never pug, this is less relevant to you, since you will always have somebody with enough brains to understand it is not the CW that contests with the TR, and take over this job.

Thanks for posting this. There were 0 PvP related builds posted later, since most CWs nowadays enjoy other classes in PvP.

It's really all personal preference. This is my second time respecing to try this out and so far it's just great.

Not enough Control Wizards use this which doesn't make sense because the name of your job is in the class title. After all it's not DPS Wizard...

I also believe that it isn't used much because it is hard to master. Most people like the 30k Icy Rays, but a good Oppressor will always win...
    edited January 2014
    Also, I'm not sure if I wasn't clear on something but Rays of Frost is the primary at-will. I think I was just saying that MM does so much damage when storm hits too.

Yes I am EoA, and I do pug. I am more of a solo player, I don't go more than 2/5 pre v pug because stomping pugs is funny and all but it is boring, and you don't get better because the only way you get better is fighting somebody who is better than you. Making solo queue the best learning experience.

Also, I will try GG gear out today, I completely forgot about the HP and armp. I will also respec today with a new coming and post it.
  • shadow5930shadow5930 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 502 Bounty Hunter
    edited January 2014
    As another EoA member, I can verify that Loki very rarely does full pre anything. Usually it's only 2 of us and I'm lucky to run with him on my HR. He's an amazing CW. Very powerful, so even if he's not running mainstream Oppressor, still a good CW to listen to. :)
  • hidahayabusahidahayabusa Member Posts: 634 Bounty Hunter
    edited January 2014
    Very very nice. I am at the same build but different gearing. I am using GG set, Youth rings and neck along with Thickgristle. Probably. GG will allow you to get Waters as your second artifact and if you get it to epic, you get bonus Regen. So, it's easy to reach 1300ish without sacrificing ArmPen/Crit.

Also, the HP boost has me standing at 32k.

Thanks for the build, I need to revise my CW in PvP!
    * Notorious Dwarven Bear Cavalry Leader *
  • pufy2010pufy2010 Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 301 Arc User
    edited January 2014
    pers3phone wrote: »

Other small points:

oh ur friend have 38 000 hp ?? who is she ?:D ( alizea angelo here by the way..sup persi :3 )
  • pers3phonepers3phone Banned Users, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited January 2014
    Hey Ali :) She's just some motorbiker nanohalfling :P Maybe you should take a pic with your stats since it seems relevant to this point holding PvP CW.
    edited January 2014
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oW71W6AgGtI

I just changed to a PvE build so I can make money and buy better enchants to get a better experience with this build.

After the match was over me and the GWF had a 1v1 match which went on for 20 minutes with nobody killing each other. While neither of us could kill each other the CW>GWF in this scenario because when I repelled him off the point I got points for my team while the other 2 were contested. Which is the case in MOST premades.

Edit-
    After doing the math, you should have roughly 2k armp, and 1300 crit and at least 37.5k HP along with 1600+ regen with the GG gear.