test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

How To - "Raise the room"

wymsicwymsic Member Posts: 13 Arc User
Ok, so there was an effect in a recent quest line that I completed that forced a ghostly bridge and the platform it connected to rise from the depths. At the end of the platform the portal teleported the player into the platform and started the encounter.

I would like to break this down and replicate it. So with my limited understanding, can someone walk through this with me and tell me if I've gotten the right mechanics, and if not, suggest a better method?

First, the bridge and platform are in a negative Y position or invisible to the player. The player interacts with an object on their current platform and by doing so the far platform rises. [Set interact on the object and complete the component]
A violent shake occurs (I have no idea how to shake players screen but going to say this is effect: ShakeScreen) during the transition. [Triggers from complete component]
Far platform either animates from negative Y position to zero Y position in one action or MANY MANY visible/invisible/visible/invisible steps [Triggers initiall from complete component then possibly through multiple component completions I suppose]
Then bridge materializes [triggers from far platforms final position/component completed] via invisible wall oriented flat and set with a smoky detail.

I think that's roughly how to set it up but I don't know if Foundry has the capability to build this or if this was only built through the Dev toolset.

1) How does the screen shake?
2) How does the far platform rise from the depth while the player is watching it?

On a similar thought.. if I wanted the player to stand on a platform that elevates through a space (think elevator) with or without visible walls (perhaps its a flat platform floating across a lava pit, or outdoors in the hill side) is that possible? Is it better/possible to lock the player in place and 'move the floor' under them (think ski lift)?
Post edited by wymsic on

Comments

• eldartheldarth Member Posts: 4,494 Arc User
    edited December 2013
    1) "FX - Dust Ring" detail asset will cause screen shaking -- you need to have it Appear When you want to start, and Disappear When you want it to stop.

2) Can't be done. There are no such animations existing in Foundry.

Edit: Elevator/ski-lift also not possible, there is no way for you to cause anything to "move" - you can only cause something to Disappear When, and Appear When.

Edit 2: The "Ghost Bridge" (think that's what it's called, filter "bridge") does exist in Foundry assets.
  • wymsicwymsic Member Posts: 13 Arc User
    edited December 2013
    Thanks eldarth!
  • chasophiaschasophias Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited January 2014
    The platform rise... here is an idea to create the illusion of a platform rise that is doable.. but you character has to be near the platform that is rising. You simply use a volume gate that is mostly below the floor. Then you make it visible. After it is visible and because the player is near it, this piece of wall will animate up. You can use a timer to replace the volume gate with a normal risen platform.

There are two problems with this approach that makes it a bit of a challenge. If you want a believable platform rise and you can only make a wall animate upward you need to cover-up all the rest from the player. (maybe use effects) also the player should not be able to move out of the volume gate space during the scene nor should be able to jump-over the wall that is rising (temporary invisible walls should help there, ensure that the timer is reliable using a drop mob timer) After the effect is done remove all temporary invisible walls and draw-out the entire end-state of the platform including any stairs and stuff. Just my 2 cents..
  • wymsicwymsic Member Posts: 13 Arc User
    edited January 2014
    Thanks Chasophias, that's an awesome suggestion. I'll work with volume gates to see how that plays out.