test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

PVP: Why can people see a GF's shield meter?

kurisantonkurisanton Member Posts: 64
edited January 2014 in PvE Discussion
Why can people in PVP see a guardian fighters shield block meter?

A long time ago, before module 2 came out I think, someone put this off topic question in a thread relating to the Guardian fighters shield block amount. I was hoping they would create their own thread to discuss the issue because I think the question has merit. Several weeks later and I havnt seen the thread so Im making my own to discuss this question

Why does the question have merit? Well as the poster put it I cant see, say a rogues stamina meter or stealth meter. I cant see a GWF's unstoppable or sprint meters. However as a GF people can see my shield block meter. As the original poster pointed out he thought this was an unfair advantage to other classes and after some consideration I kind of agree. Shield block is essentially the GFs dodge/sprint meter and being able to see that gives a player a massive advantage in fighting GFs. It would be like if I could see a CW's stamina meter to know when he could/couldnt teleport which would effect using lunging strike vs using threatening rush to close distance.

On the other side of the fence, when I play my rogue in PVP and I go up against GFs I watch that guard meter like a hawk and I work to break it when possible. I wont use shocking execution unless I know that guard meter is down. Neither will I use any of my encounters till my knives have broken his guard.

It seems to me that this kind of information puts GFs at a big disadvantage. So IMO one of two fixes needs to happen. 1. The guard meter should be removed (which is my preffered option) or 2. Stamina meters should be made visible for all classes
Post edited by kurisanton on

Comments

• inquisitorrahlinquisitorrahl Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited December 2013
    PvP: Why can people see an enemies health?
    Father McGruder - Scrub geared DPS DC - I kick HAMSTER for the Lord!

Explosivo - Scrub geared MoF CW - Climb upon my BIG ASSED steed....
  • fondlezfondlez Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited January 2014
    Players CANNOT see a GF's Guard Meter. They see binary information for special powers that affect the character. This is the SAME for all classes that have such special powers.

GF: enemy player sees whether your Guard is intact or broken.
    GWF: enemy player sees whether you are Unstoppable or not Unstoppable.
    TR: enemy player sees whether you are Stealthed or not stealthed.

No one knows your Guard meter, or your level of Determination, or your Stealth remaining.

So, the entire premise for this thread is completely false.
  • ladysylvialadysylvia Member Posts: 946 Bounty Hunter
    edited January 2014
    fondlez wrote: »
    Players CANNOT see a GF's Guard Meter. They see binary information for special powers that affect the character. This is the SAME for all classes that have such special powers.

No one knows your Guard meter, or your level of Determination, or your Stealth remaining.

Sorry, but you are false. Yes you can see Unstoppable, but this is not the right comparison.
    Stealth too. First you can't see it - if you to afar - second it's not the right comparison.
    Third 3 classes out of this you don't see their special moves.
    If you really want to compare, then you have to compare, that you see WHEN the GF is guarding.
    Do we see the determination/sprint bar of GWF? No.
    Do we see the stealth/dodge bar of TR? No.
    Do we see dodge bar of CW? No.
    Do we see dodge bar of DC? No.
    Do we see dodge bar of HR? No.
    Do we see the Guard bar of GF? Yes!

Don't be a fool. Even the GF DON'T see how much HP his bar have. But all other can see how intact it is! This is a bid disadvantage against all other classes. So 1 of 6 classes the special bar is for all visible. That need to be adressed and removed!

And if you want to have the big fail of your post: We don't see how long the Unstoppable last of the enemy. Or the Stealth of TR. But at the GF we can calculate it.
  • burkaancburkaanc Member Posts: 2,186 Arc User
    edited January 2014
    we can count dodges, we can assume how far will gwf sprint, we know how long stealth/unstoppable/itc lasts, but gf can keep shield up for ever so the only way to tell is by having a bar
    Paladin Master Race
  • kurisantonkurisanton Member Posts: 64
    edited January 2014

Incorrect. During PVP when your cursor is over a guarding GF you can clearly see the blue bar below their hit points. As you hit it you can see the bar go down, or as the GF uses shield restoring abilities such as ET you can see it go up when the GF guards again.

So far as I can tell there is no indicator for tab abilities or dodge meters of any other class and if Im mistaken on that point please post a video link showing me how you can see them.

As far as counting hits/dodges for the GFs shield you can do that in any regular setting as well for the GFs guard meter. Lets also not forget that various dodges also give some movement while a GFs block actually penalizes movement
  • fondlezfondlez Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited January 2014
    kurisanton wrote: »
    Incorrect. During PVP when your cursor is over a guarding GF you can clearly see the blue bar below their hit points. As you hit it you can see the bar go down, or as the GF uses shield restoring abilities such as ET you can see it go up when the GF guards again.

So far as I can tell there is no indicator for tab abilities or dodge meters of any other class and if Im mistaken on that point please post a video link showing me how you can see them.

As far as counting hits/dodges for the GFs shield you can do that in any regular setting as well for the GFs guard meter. Lets also not forget that various dodges also give some movement while a GFs block actually penalizes movement

Thank you for the detailed information. Then I agree with the OP. This is unnecessary information since a GF cannot keep their guard up indefinitely while under attack - not even close.

However, I can also see why they added the guard bar, because all other such character-affecting special powers have a fixed timer. It is the kind of design that makes sense on paper, but not in practice.
  • pers3phonepers3phone Banned Users, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited January 2014
    Yup you can see it indeed. From a CW perspective, this usually doesn't mean a lot, since you will usually freeze/choke the GF long before his guard is broken...

Doesn't strike me as very fair... however, if you can count to 2/3, then DC/TR/CW is in the same situation.
  • hidahayabusahidahayabusa Member Posts: 634 Bounty Hunter
    edited January 2014
    pers3phone wrote: »
    however, if you can count to 2/3, then DC/TR/CW is in the same situation.

It's not the same. GF block doesn't deplete proportionally per hit, so I guess it's a bit unfair for them...
    * Notorious Dwarven Bear Cavalry Leader *
  • grimahgrimah Member Posts: 1,658 Arc User
    edited January 2014

This is not a jab/attack at you fondlez.... but how the hell did you not know this?
    Creator of the featured survival horror foundry: "The Silence of Haydenwick" Video Review
    and also the featured satirical comedic adventure "A Call for Heroes".
  • yokihiroyokihiro Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 510 Bounty Hunter
    edited January 2014
    I'd say if a GF's guard is broken then his shield should go down automatically but a GF can hold a broken shield in front of him all the time. This way you could at least see when it is empty - if you should see how long it might be up with the blue bar under the health bar is indeed a good question. But if this bar would be removed then the GF should definitely not be able to hold the shield up when his guard meter is down. This way it would be more inline with the GWF - he you see that he is either tall or small and know if he is in unstoppable mode or not but how long it will last you can't tell.
  • xxxerexxxxxxerexxx Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Knight of the Feywild Users Posts: 9 Arc User
    edited January 2014
    yokihiro wrote: »
    I'd say if a GF's guard is broken then his shield should go down automatically but a GF can hold a broken shield in front of him all the time. This way you could at least see when it is empty - if you should see how long it might be up with the blue bar under the health bar is indeed a good question. But if this bar would be removed then the GF should definitely not be able to hold the shield up when his guard meter is down. This way it would be more inline with the GWF - he you see that he is either tall or small and know if he is in unstoppable mode or not but how long it will last you can't tell.

GF's can't hold the shield up if their guard is broken. They hold it to the side like "normal"/when not guarding.
  • mattsacremattsacre Member Posts: 330 Arc User
    edited January 2014
    Um..duh, maybe I'm not getting the complaint. The GF bar is a STATUS bar, not a skill bar or some hidden info bar etc. It's indicative of the status a GF is in, this is pertinent info other players SHOULD know in pvp. If it gets low a GF has skills that let him start it filling again. All the other classes have visual clues as to their state of status/being.

When a GWF goes unstoppable he grows in size and glows, you have a clue as to his STATUS and you with experience know how your class should respond to that condition.

A CW has a bubble that mitigates some of their taken dmg, you see when that status of being is, when that bubble is popped or not.

A TR disappears for a while when they are stealthed, you see them go blurry and semi/disappear, precluding some of your attacks against them, you have a "visual" clue as to their status or state of being.

A CW has little green or blue "+" hovering around them, or their weapon has a god glow, you know weather they are using devine powers or not, what status/state they are in.

So other players see a little bar over the GF if they hover their cursor over them, what other visual clues do they get that a GF is in shielded state/status? Seems to me the GF actually has a unfair advantage and they are complaining UNFAIR! instead lol.

Since the shielded state, unlike every. other. class. doesn't have a defined down time/up time timer, nor a obvious visual clue (other than that bar) actually needs that bar to make it fair. You can time when the GWF pops his unstoppable, when the TR cloaks, when the CW bubble pops, when the CW depletes the divine power and get a generalized clue as to what your classes response should be to their change in status should be. If you want that bar to be taken away and remove the hint that other players should get as to your change in status/stance then maybe their needs to be some other readily other obvious clue, or even worse for you, it be put on a timer with a long cool down like other classes have, is that what you are arguing for?
  • emadaraemadara Member Posts: 6 Arc User
    edited January 2014
    mattsacre wrote: »
    So other players see a little bar over the GF if they hover their cursor over them, what other visual clues do they get that a GF is in shielded state/status? Seems to me the GF actually has a unfair advantage and they are complaining UNFAIR! instead lol.

Since the shielded state, unlike every. other. class. doesn't have a defined down time/up time timer, nor a obvious visual clue (other than that bar) actually needs that bar to make it fair.

Umm correct me if i'm wrong but doesn't the fact that the GF is holding his shield UP an indicator of his status?
    edited January 2014
    mattsacre wrote: »
    Um..duh, maybe I'm not getting the complaint. The GF bar is a STATUS bar, not a skill bar or some hidden info bar etc. It's indicative of the status a GF is in, this is pertinent info other players SHOULD know in pvp. If it gets low a GF has skills that let him start it filling again. All the other classes have visual clues as to their state of status/being.

Incorrect. The GF bar is a skill bar allowing players to see how much guard meter they have at that moment. Their visual que for blocking is the blocking animation. That thing where they hunker down behind their shield, hold their sword/spear/ax above their head as if to stab over it, and where they move extremely slow. Its quite visual.

Since block is basicly the same as other classes dodge skills I feel there is an imbalance when being able to see exactly how much block a GF has but not being able to see how much dodge other classes have.
  • rapssodyarapssodya Member Posts: 169 Bounty Hunter
    edited January 2014
    I think a shield break animation would rock if the guard meter is ever removed. And I do think it is a little unfair for all players to be able to see it's strength in pvp.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Krass Mustang - GF
    Diamond Krass Mustang - GWF
    Shadow Krass Mustang - TR
  • shadow5930shadow5930 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 502 Bounty Hunter
    edited January 2014
    I would agree with that. An animation to signal the break, so people would know, instead of it just being the GF dropping the shield to bullrush you. That said, I still think the blue bar needs to go away. We can't see how many divinity tics a DC has, we shouldn't be able to see a GF's guard meter.
  • charononuscharononus Member Posts: 5,715 Arc User
    edited January 2014
    I have to agree the bar so that we can see a gf's meter in pvp is kind of odd.
  • shadow5930shadow5930 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 502 Bounty Hunter
    edited January 2014
    Uh oh.. Charononus, I'm agreeing with you...

.. the end of the world approaches!! XD

sorry, hehe, I really do hope they listen to this, as it'd be a definite quality of life increase for GFs.
    edited January 2014
    I don't really see the issue with this. This would be like saying it's not fair for someone to see how much mana my character had left in PvP so they could judge how easy it would be to get me in WoW(not that mana is an issue these days..).

edited January 2014
    I don't really see the issue with this. This would be like saying it's not fair for someone to see how much mana my character had left in PvP so they could judge how easy it would be to get me in WoW(not that mana is an issue these days..).

Considering you started out in this thread with a ridiculous off topic statement like this: PvP: Why can people see an enemies health? I dont think you grasp the advantage that other classes have in terms of the GF's ability to guard against attacks or really what balanced PVP really is.

That said, this is not WoW or Raiderz or Secret world or any other MMORPG so making a comparison like that just doesnt work. If you want to make a comparison make one within the context of neverwinter and similar mechanics. Then we might be able to take you seriously
    edited January 2014
    Considering you started out in this thread with a ridiculous off topic statement like this: PvP: Why can people see an enemies health? I dont think you grasp the advantage that other classes have in terms of the GF's ability to guard against attacks or really what balanced PVP really is.

That said, this is not WoW or Raiderz or Secret world or any other MMORPG so making a comparison like that just doesnt work. If you want to make a comparison make one within the context of neverwinter and similar mechanics. Then we might be able to take you seriously

It's a class resource. It's not top secret knowledge. It recharges, it goes away. What difference would it make if you couldn't see the bar?

Scenario 1: Bar is displayed, I proceed to spam Magic Missles and other non CC abilities to try and burn the guard while trying to stay away from the GF.

Scenario 2: No bar displayed, I see the shield is up as he's trying to move towards me(because that's what GF's do...), I proceed to do the exact same thing until his shield drops.

Either way, I'm not using any of my CC spells or a Daily on you until I see a shield go down or you've committed to an attack animation.

Both scenarios allow you to be able to try and fake me out by dropping shield and baiting me into trying to get a CC on you only to have it blocked in my face. Scenario 1 will eventually reach a point where I know you can't fake me out but honestly, by that time I probably would have burned your guard down anyway in Scenario 2 as well.

What's the problem?

Btw my comparison to an HP bar DOES make sense. You're wanting the bar to go away so people will have to guess "how much block does he have left to burn through?" when it could be just the same if HP bars were removed. "Hmmm...how much HP does that guy have left, can I kill him? Should I use everything or go light and not waste stuff?"

edited January 2014
    It's a class resource. It's not top secret knowledge. It recharges, it goes away. What difference would it make if you couldn't see the bar?

Scenario 1: Bar is displayed, I proceed to spam Magic Missles and other non CC abilities to try and burn the guard while trying to stay away from the GF.

Scenario 2: No bar displayed, I see the shield is up as he's trying to move towards me(because that's what GF's do...), I proceed to do the exact same thing until his shield drops.

Either way, I'm not using any of my CC spells or a Daily on you until I see a shield go down or you've committed to an attack animation.

Both scenarios allow you to be able to try and fake me out by dropping shield and baiting me into trying to get a CC on you only to have it blocked in my face. Scenario 1 will eventually reach a point where I know you can't fake me out but honestly, by that time I probably would have burned your guard down anyway in Scenario 2 as well.

What's the problem?

Btw my comparison to an HP bar DOES make sense. You're wanting the bar to go away so people will have to guess "how much block does he have left to burn through?" when it could be just the same if HP bars were removed. "Hmmm...how much HP does that guy have left, can I kill him? Should I use everything or go light and not waste stuff?"

Try actually reading the thread because I already answered those questions

As to your HP argument, no it doesnt make sense. What you're comparing is a bar that everyone can see on everyone vs a bar that people can see on one class while no one can see the bars of comparable abilities on the other 5 classes
  • godlysoul1godlysoul1 Member Posts: 293 Bounty Hunter
    edited January 2014
    This is an interesting idea. I think it is completely fair to not have the guard meter displayed to the enemy and should be implemented. My personal opinion is I view guarding as the GF special ability, just like GWF unstoppable, rogue stealth, or DC's meter, all of which are not visible to enemies. Yes, you could see when GWF is using unstoppable, when a rogue uses stealth, or when a DC uses theirs, but you cannot see any of those meters. It should be the same for GF where you could see when they block, but not the meter.
    edited January 2014
    Try actually reading the thread because I already answered those questions

As to your HP argument, no it doesnt make sense. What you're comparing is a bar that everyone can see on everyone vs a bar that people can see on one class while no one can see the bars of comparable abilities on the other 5 classes

I'm sorry I still don't see the point. From what I understand, you can't raise your shield at all if you have no guard left. So...if you're not raising a shield when I'm wailing on you then I can already assume your guard is gone unless you're trying for an epic bait of some weird sort. If you raise your shield...well...you have guard left..and I don't really care how much because I'm just going to be running away and spamming damage on you either way. I'm not going to toss a CC at a GF with his shield up regardless of a full guard bar vs a guard bar with a few hits left, it's going to get blocked either way. Remove it if you want I don't really care, it doesn't really affect the gameplay of a CW *shrug*

• zvieriszvieris Member Posts: 1,261 Arc User
    edited January 2014
    Am I the only one who doesn't care about guard meter and aim for the back of GFs?.. It's like they never had guard meter when you dodge behind them. Just sayin.
  • klangeddinklangeddin Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 882 Arc User
    edited January 2014
    They could just make it so that every player's stamina is visible, regardless of class.