test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

GF or GWF for Tanking

crimsonblade339crimsonblade339 Member Posts: 3 Arc User
edited December 2013 in The Militia Barracks
Hello still fairly new to NW. I just have a couple questions about the two fighters classes.

1) I get that GWF is a Striker/Secondary Tank and the GF was Tank/Defender by design, but my question is with the new paragon paths can both effective tank well now. I see a lot of posts about GF getting hit hard by Mod2, but I was wondering if both are still viable for pure tanking...I don't mind PVP, but honestly looking more PVE. I also want to play the tanker of the two classes. I understand that threat is a kind of broken in the game and that DPS=threat, but honestly just want to know if I want to truly tank which route it the best path. I would assume GF, but seems with new Paragon Path of Iron Vanguard for GWF, you can tank pretty well with this path.

2) I have been out to multiple sites and if there is a tankish GWF, does anyone have a good build yet. Same for GF..does anyone have good tank build for them too (post Mod2).

Thank you for your assistance all.
Post edited by crimsonblade339 on

Comments

• Options
    dkcandydkcandy Member Posts: 1,555 Bounty Hunter
    edited December 2013
    http://nw-forum.perfectworld.com/showthread.php?437251-Guardian-Fighter-Scrotobagins-Regen-Tank-amp-DPS-Builds

Deflect/Regen. I'm now running Tactician build instead of Conqueror.

Both the KC build & Deflect/Regen work great for PvE just depends on if you prefer more DPS or more Tanky.
  • Options
    cyanbluestone007cyanbluestone007 Member Posts: 104 Bounty Hunter
    edited December 2013
    A GWF is never viable as a pure tank, they have a hard time getting threat on CW's and cannot out threat a HR. But this infor is only based on stuff I've read on the forums. I have never witnesses even a half succesful GWF tank. all The GWF's I see tryign to tank in tank gear are a useless addition to any party. Probably because the tank gear means a PvP toon.

But ultimately a GWF lacks the GF's core threat moves. Nothing beats the trump of Enhanced Mark, GF's +100% threat to marked targets.

But if you are going tank I still suggest pure damage spec GF. GF has the threat and the game is ruled by Damage. If you do good damage and can tank and hold threat players will love you and you assure your place in a party above any GWF.
  • Options
    ortzhyortzhy Member Posts: 1,103 Bounty Hunter
    edited December 2013
    @cyan... what are u saying is more fiction to me, dont get me wrong maybe you know something that i've miss, but i see dkcandy post that more or less states that is more towards a leader and offtank while you say that you are above a GWF. GWF with that bleed can tank in any spec tbh, doesnt matter what spec you are as long as u have a vorpal and those bleeds (high power on gear).

That combo immunity + heal is completely useless in pve.. who cares about that much resistance? game just doesnt need anything close to that unless you run with fresh lvl 60 and somehow u;ve managed to find a way to just spam that as a GWF was able to prior to module 1.

I think i;ve said this before... make a guide and provide some ACT data so i can be a believer.
  • Options
    fondlezfondlez Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited December 2013
    Since you are new, yet completely serious about tanking, then I would advise GF.

This is not because GWF cannot tank, contrary to what cyanbluestone007 seems to think, it is just that it is much easier with a GF from day one, also easier (due to random PuG demand) and cheaper to gear up a GF (since there are fewer of them) and in terms of balancing GF is by far the more stable of the two classes to date.

In addition, in future, the role of GF as the closest to being a "tanking" specific class in this game (there is no proper tank like in traditional MMORPGs) will never be in question (*). They could nerf or buff everything else and that would never ever change. The same cannot be said about the GWF...

However, I will say that (currently) GWF's scale much better than GF's. So, at high gear levels, there are no limits to what a GWF can do compared to a GF, including soloing, two-manning, three-manning entire T2+ Epic instances or endbosses. I have had a lot more fun on my GWF overall than I ever have on my GF in PvE.

(*) Big caveat to that: if they ever nerf or remove the existing mobility of the GF class, especially Threatening Rush which is critical to GF tanking imo, then I would never ever recommend GF for tanking compared to GWF.
  • Options
    charononuscharononus Member Posts: 5,715 Arc User
    edited December 2013
    DPS is God, go gwf.
  • Options
    inthefade462inthefade462 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited December 2013
    GWF if you want to do more than kite in FH.
  • Options
    lobo0084lobo0084 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 663 Bounty Hunter
    edited December 2013
    I say it's more to do with playstyle. If you don't mind plodding along, being able to simply brunt the damage and managing threat in a very simple, straightforward way? Guardian Fighter. You get high defenses, you feel like a truck full of bricks, and you spend more time managing battlefield view (i.e. where to direct threat and marks, shield, etc) than movement.

Great Weapon Fighters move alot more, require more attention to battlefield location and hit point management, focusing on taking damage and healing it off. It's a very ACTIVE tank, and requires more work, but also comes with a considerable amount of 'real time' tanking, meaning a GWF can usually adapt to different enemies and types faster, including AOE, CC, etc.

Both can tank exceptionally well. Well enough for any boss or adds in any dungeon designed. My sentinel GWF can take any hits from any boss I've run into, and keep on going. Or tank a room full of adds just fine.

But GWF have an issue to them. If you don't pay attention? You're dead. There's far less 'defense' and straight damage absorbtion. Mobile, active and attentive GWF's can do amazingly well as tanks. Passive GWF's would do better playing as GF's if they want to tank, because they won't do nearly as well.
    "Every adventurer has two things in common: they don't like dying, and they love getting paid. The rest is just semantics." Brecken, famed mercenary of Baldur's Gate

"D*mn wizards," said Morik the Rogue.

Learn what a GWF and GF really are: The History of Fighters
  • Options
    arriarri Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Knight of the Feywild Users Posts: 17 Arc User
    edited December 2013
    I can't really speak on behalf of GWFs, as I don't play one. However, I will say that if a GF and a GWF are in the same group, the GF will always have aggro simply due to all their threat generation abilities. The way I see it, the GF tanks more like a traditional tank: Threat/taunt skills combined with lower DPS. GWFs don't appear to have any threat generation abilities (I could be wrong though, like I said I haven't played GWF), so all their threat would come from damage. The downside to GFs are they're much more single target focused. On a boss that actually follows threat rules, a well played GF is pretty much invincible.

There's a reason the idea of GF = boss tank and GWF = add tank goes around.

But anyways, I'd say hypothetically if your team will only ever take one fighter class, then the choice really comes down to do you want a sword/shield and the ability to block the occasional attack (notice I said occasional attack. If you try and block spam you die), or do you want to swing a giant sword/axe around and <font color="orange">HAMSTER</font> things off by hitting them a lot. The game isn't hard enough that you can't complete a dungeon if you have a GF over a GWF.
    Pinnys of all shapes and sizes.

Pinny Foxfang - 60 Guardian Fighter
    Pinny Foxfire - 60 Scourge Warlock (Temptation)
  • Options
    warpetwarpet Member Posts: 1,969 Arc User
    edited December 2013
    take none of them both of them have broken dodge/shiled system both of them gets damage even if they use it and also there isnt any need for tanks in pve 2-3cw preforms a lot better there is nothing to tank if u have 2 or more cw in team everything is cc locked till die
  • Options
    warpetwarpet Member Posts: 1,969 Arc User
    edited December 2013
    GWF if you want to do more than kite in FH.

yeah but he would need to be dps spaced not tank
  • Options
    lobo0084lobo0084 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 663 Bounty Hunter
    edited December 2013
    warpet wrote: »
    yeah but he would need to be dps spaced not tank

I have and continue to prove this incorrect. Especially with the full sentinel tree and using threatening rush and daring shout, plus powerful challenge and the terror enchant. GWF is fully capable of grabbing and maintaining aggro, even without a tab taunt.

There is also a point of communication and teamwork with other players. IF you can't maintain aggro, talk with your CW's and TR's and see if they can't pull back on the pure dps output on the mobs you need to work on. If your boss tanking, ask the CW to focus on debuffs if they pin the boss, or the other adds. And you can swap with the TR and let them stealth out when necessary.

A tank's job is to protect their teammates. A simple takedown or flourish can often do that.
    "Every adventurer has two things in common: they don't like dying, and they love getting paid. The rest is just semantics." Brecken, famed mercenary of Baldur's Gate

"D*mn wizards," said Morik the Rogue.

Learn what a GWF and GF really are: The History of Fighters
  • Options
    kroandarkroandar Member Posts: 32 Arc User
    edited December 2013
    Question for you: When using Threatening Rush as a GWF, what is the other At Will you use? Do you use an AoE one such as Wicked Strike or RS, or Sure Strike?
    18.jpg
  • Options
    fondlezfondlez Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited December 2013
    kroandar wrote: »
    Question for you: When using Threatening Rush as a GWF, what is the other At Will you use? Do you use an AoE one such as Wicked Strike or RS, or Sure Strike?

Aoe tanking: Wicked Strike + Sure Strike.
    Boss tanking: Sure Strike + Threatening Rush (great for mobility due to boss aoe or teleporting boss too).

Reaping Strike has a minimum cast time that makes it sub-optimal in both threat (via dps) and mobility. It also seems to cause some players to glitch while using Unstoppable if they hold down the At-Will button.
  • Options
    arriarri Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Knight of the Feywild Users Posts: 17 Arc User
    edited December 2013
    lobo0084 wrote: »
    I have and continue to prove this incorrect. Especially with the full sentinel tree and using threatening rush and daring shout, plus powerful challenge and the terror enchant. GWF is fully capable of grabbing and maintaining aggro, even without a tab taunt.

There is also a point of communication and teamwork with other players. IF you can't maintain aggro, talk with your CW's and TR's and see if they can't pull back on the pure dps output on the mobs you need to work on. If your boss tanking, ask the CW to focus on debuffs if they pin the boss, or the other adds. And you can swap with the TR and let them stealth out when necessary.

A tank's job is to protect their teammates. A simple takedown or flourish can often do that.

While a GWF apparently has to ask their teammates to not DPS an enemy as much so they can keep aggro on them, a guardian fighter can literally click one button (that's not tab) and maintain aggro regardless of their team's DPS.
    Pinnys of all shapes and sizes.

Pinny Foxfang - 60 Guardian Fighter
    Pinny Foxfire - 60 Scourge Warlock (Temptation)
  • Options
    cyanbluestone007cyanbluestone007 Member Posts: 104 Bounty Hunter
    edited December 2013
    arri wrote: »
    While a GWF apparently has to ask their teammates to not DPS an enemy as much so they can keep aggro on them, a guardian fighter can literally click one button (that's not tab) and maintain aggro regardless of their team's DPS.

And this is exactly what it all comes down too. GF simply has more tools to tank with than a GWF. And a properly built GF can also have comparable damage to a GWF. And when you dont need damage as a tank but just have to pick up adds I can keep my pure damage spec GF equip pure tank gear, Knights Valor and Enhanced mark and gather up all the adds in the room in Valindra's Tower final phase. GWF's just cant do that they dont have ranged threat generating powers.

And those adds are brutal alot more so than just kiting FH. Especially since they all spawn at the same time.