test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

Is armor penetration able to boost damage beyond negative point?

luformluform Member Posts: 28 Arc User
edited December 2013 in The Wilds
Like the title says, suppose if I have armor penetration at 28% and resistance ignored from STR at 11%, when hitting boss or mobs with a certain armor rating, can these stats negate the effect of armor beyond 0% and become negative that it boosts your damage?
Post edited by luform on

Comments

• Options
    fondlezfondlez Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited December 2013
    NO. Definitely not.

Resistance Ignored stat and Armor Penetration, the stat rating for Resistance Ignored, cannot increase damage against targets already at zero mitigation, either from your own stats, feats, boons and gear or from the target having no mitigation anyway.

Hence, why given so much ArP on HR gear that many players make DEX/WIS rolls (or at least anything that is not STR).
  • Options
    edited December 2013
    So what is the minimum armor penetration % that u would recommend HR to get on top of 11% resistance ignored?
  • Options
    edited December 2013
    luform wrote: »
    So what is the minimum armor penetration % that u would recommend HR to get on top of 11% resistance ignored?

Well, I don't know enough about HR's to give any figure lower than the standard PvE soft cap of 24% Resistance Ignored total versus dungeon bosses. So, in your case that would be up to the equivalent of 24 - 11 = 13% Resistance Ignored (1287 Armor Penetration) in PvE.

Of course, in PvP, there is no meaningful limit to stacking Resistance Ignored.
  • Options
    edited December 2013
    Thnx for the info. Gonna do minor adjustment to my gear for this.
  • Options
    greekstudgreekstud Member Posts: 46
    edited December 2013
    dont agree much on this... i speak of pvp
    i have seen many times damage much more than my max hit +% of crit etc on a target with low defenses which cant be explained by nothing other than arpen going to lower than 0 your mitigation. or else what is the reason?
    now in pve i havent checked it but also i see some hits of 30k encounters or 40k daily that cant be explained too ...??? i like theorycrafting so i would like to hear some opinions
  • Options
    linknigrilinknigri Member Posts: 97 Arc User
    edited December 2013
    greekstud wrote: »
    i have seen many times damage much more than my max hit +% of crit etc on a target with low defenses which cant be explained by nothing other than arpen going to lower than 0 your mitigation. or else what is the reason?
    now in pve i havent checked it but also i see some hits of 30k encounters or 40k daily that cant be explained too ...??? i like theorycrafting so i would like to hear some opinions

Well first of all, some classess can reach more than 40% mitigation, and that is something that u will never reach with arm. p.
  • Options
    charononuscharononus Member Posts: 5,715 Arc User
    edited December 2013
    My gwf is a baby, just capped 60 two days ago and doesn't have a single t2 piece yet. He sits at 41% already so this is very very true.
  • Options
    hidahayabusahidahayabusa Member Posts: 634 Bounty Hunter
    edited December 2013

Probably you are not hitting the target alone and a CW or a Plaguefire user has applied a debuff to the target. Armor penetration won't drop anyone below 0. However if your DR ignore fully covers the DR of the target, every defense debuff (Ray of Enfeeblement, PFire dot, GWF's student of the sword, High Vizier encounter hit) will directly increase your damage, because Defense works in a hyperbolic function, meaning that negative defense=proportional increase of damage received .
    * Notorious Dwarven Bear Cavalry Leader *
  • Options
    greekstudgreekstud Member Posts: 46
    edited December 2013
    so you mean that arpen wont get the enemy below 0 but defense debuffs will? well maybe since as i said i see hits much bigger than the actual calculated hit i can do according ofc to the skill supposed max damage
  • Options
    hidahayabusahidahayabusa Member Posts: 634 Bounty Hunter
    edited December 2013
    so you mean that arpen wont get the enemy below 0 but defense debuffs will? well maybe since as i said i see hits much bigger than the actual calculated hit i can do according ofc to the skill supposed max damage

I didn't understand what you are saying.

Anyway this is how it works. Suppose you are hitting a CW with 25% DR (that's roughly 1200 Def). Your ArmPen ignores 25% DR so your damage will treat the CW as he had 0 DR.

Let's suppose that you have a Plaguefire on, and you have 3 dots on the CW, then you reduce his Defense by 45%, so you are effectively hitting him for your damage + 45% of 1200 Def which is almost 10% damage increase for you.

In the example above, having ArmPenetration that exceeded 25% would be wasted.

Greek PS: Mporeis na mou steileis kai PM na ta poume.
    * Notorious Dwarven Bear Cavalry Leader *
  • Options
    edited December 2013
    Let's suppose that you have a Plaguefire on, and you have 3 dots on the CW, then you reduce his Defense by 45%, so you are effectively hitting him for your damage + 45% of 1200 Def which is almost 10% damage increase for you.

Greater Plague Fire debuff is a flat damage increase of 3% per stack up to 9%. In general, wherever you see a percentage "Defense reduction" in game, divine by five to calculate the almost exact (to within 1 decimal place) and fixed damage increase.