test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Issues with Adding a 2nd Floor

liqunyanliqunyan Member Posts: 4 Arc User
Hey guys,

I was wanting to create this foundry quest which I would like to name "The Suspicious Housekeeper", and needless to say, I need to make a house, but I've got no idea on how to add a second floor. I approached Mr. Google for help, and instead of giving me the knowledge I needed, he gave me the knowledge that I didn't need at all. That's why I'm approaching the professionals at the forums for help.

Anyways, stay cool.

Lord Anduin Lothar@liqunyan
Post edited by liqunyan on

Comments

• zbkoldezbkolde Member Posts: 689 Arc User
    edited November 2013
    If you're using an interior map, you cannot actually stack rooms. You will need to build the other floor over to the side of your first floor, not connecting. Then use a teleporter (invisible clicky works best for me) to go up/down the stairs.

You can see an example of this in my quest, "Kolde Acres: Grandmother" - NW-DDKURMXWQ, near the beginning of the quest, to see what i mean. Once inside the house, open your map, and you can see the layout. I have teleporters for stairs.
  • liqunyanliqunyan Member Posts: 4 Arc User
    edited November 2013
    Can you give me a step-by-step instruction on how to do this? I'm not really good with the Foundry.
  • eldartheldarth Member Posts: 4,494 Arc User
    edited November 2013
    Or, you can build the whole thing "by hand" - floor by floor, wall by wall, door by door on an exterior map.

I did just this with my Mayors Residence in "Invasion!" [NW-DCGHLSKBT]
    (The stairs to the 2nd floor are blocked by an unopenable gate for this quest, but you can see the 2nd story from outside).
  • celantracelantra Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users, Silverstars, Neverwinter Knight of the Feywild Users Posts: 465
    edited November 2013
    The other thing you can do is use an outdoor map and build your structure from scratch using the building parts in the details library. This can be quite challenging, but a tremendous amount of fun. If you take a look at my campaign listed in the sig, I use a lot of self generated rooms and buildings, and in the first quest, The Beast Within, the third location is one of the first buildings ever constructed in this manner as it was built in the foundry beta. I am not as active due to some medical issues but feel free to add me to friends and I will answer questions when I am online, or here if you have specific questions.
  • liqunyanliqunyan Member Posts: 4 Arc User
    edited November 2013
    @zbkolde, @eldarth, @celantra

Thanks for the tips that you're giving, but I've decided that I'll not make that Foundry quest, as I need to get to know the Foundry more before doing so.

Stay cool,
  • hercooles130uscghercooles130uscg Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited November 2013
    liqunyan wrote: »
    @zbkolde, @eldarth, @celantra

Thanks for the tips that you're giving, but I've decided that I'll not make that Foundry quest, as I need to get to know the Foundry more before doing so.

Stay cool,

No no no, don't say that.

By far the best way to learn the Foundry is to be ambitious and just go for it. I wish I did this on my first quest. You get one chance to make a first impression, make it count. Start building the maps you can do easily, learning as you go, then start the more advanced maps. If you release an easy, just learning the foundry project, you set yourself up to be just another of thousands of others with the same "first map, just learning the foundry" quests, and you will unlikely get any subscribers or second thoughts.

You have to make a name for yourself early in the Foundry, because the entire system is so borked that it penalizes new authors heavily.

So take the time to make your first quest everything you imagine you want your best work to be! You will be happier in the end.
    bdayaffair_zps6675e60e.png
  • bazgcbazgc Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users, Neverwinter Knight of the Feywild Users Posts: 184 Bounty Hunter
    edited November 2013
    No no no, don't say that.

<lots of advice cut down for simplicity>

Totally agree. I did a relatively simple quest as my first one (A Relaxing Stay) to get a feel for the editor, and then went on to do a much better second quest (The Silver Sword) using the lessons I'd learned during the first one.
    My Foundry Quests:

The Silver Sword - NW-DEIPWYISA - Daily Qualified
    A Relaxing Stay - NW-DEEYNZYZ9 - Daily Qualified but going to be updated
  • wymsicwymsic Member Posts: 13 Arc User
    edited December 2013
    Hi all, I'm rather new to the Foundry but am starting to develop quests.

So my question is, when you look at the Wizard's Folly(?) quest and you enter the tower to search for Rhazzad, it's multi-level and circles back on itself etc.. without the use of separate map zones. how is this done if we can't overlap map floors?
  • eldartheldarth Member Posts: 4,494 Arc User
    edited December 2013
    You "can" overlap floors, but it is painstakingly difficult (easier now that Crypticmapolis gave us "Room builder" rooms).

There are a few pre-generated maps that have multiple levels -- like the wizards tower you can use.