test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

PvP'ers: What is PvE lacking, and how can it be fixed?

wolfsong84wolfsong84 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users, Neverwinter Knight of the Feywild Users Posts: 0 Arc User
edited December 2013 in The Foundry
I have not yet published my first quest, BUT there seems to be the sentiment among PvP'ers that "all PvE is the same, shoot, dodge red, ad infinitum."

I do want to become involved in the foundry, but I would like some thoughts from those who need "that extra little something" in PvE for it to keep your interest.

What kinds of challenges are you wanting to see in quests?

Is there a certain aesthetic that you'd like to see?

I just think that this sort of thing would be useful information for anyone working on foundry quests. :)
Post edited by wolfsong84 on

Comments

• Options
    antonkyleantonkyle Member Posts: 776 Arc User
    edited December 2013
    wolfsong84 wrote: »
    I have not yet published my first quest, BUT there seems to be the sentiment among PvP'ers that "all PvE is the same, shoot, dodge red, ad infinitum."

I do want to become involved in the foundry, but I would like some thoughts from those who need "that extra little something" in PvE for it to keep your interest.

What kinds of challenges are you wanting to see in quests?

Is there a certain aesthetic that you'd like to see?

I just think that this sort of thing would be useful information for anyone working on foundry quests. :)

In all MMO games I have played PVE lacks a true story. I cast my mind back to games like FF7 where everything you do is a build up to a final face off with Sephiroth. The story builds and develops, twist's and turns. It has ups and down but most importantly it has relevance. MMO's seem to think we just want a bunch of random events in a world.

I'm all for side quest's, it's an open world after all but for me to get the most out of PVE I need a proper story to sink my teeth into. One that spreads for the duration of the game. Lots of little mini stories just doesn't do it for me. I think it's this lack of story that brings in a new breed of player. The ones that need a sparkly trail because they can't be bothered to read. Before games became so simple people like that played games likes sonic. Where they belong imo.

Having said that I do enjoy playing foundry quests. I think this is because Authors are nuts and try to add depth to their stories even if it is a short 20 min run.
  • Options
    wolfsong84wolfsong84 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users, Neverwinter Knight of the Feywild Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited December 2013
    antonkyle wrote: »
    In all MMO games I have played PVE lacks a true story. I cast my mind back to games like FF7 where everything you do is a build up to a final face off with Sephiroth. The story builds and develops, twist's and turns. It has ups and down but most importantly it has relevance. MMO's seem to think we just want a bunch of random events in a world.

I'm all for side quest's, it's an open world after all but for me to get the most out of PVE I need a proper story to sink my teeth into. One that spreads for the duration of the game. Lots of little mini stories just doesn't do it for me. I think it's this lack of story that brings in a new breed of player. The ones that need a sparkly trail because they can't be bothered to read. Before games became so simple people like that played games likes sonic. Where they belong imo.

Having said that I do enjoy playing foundry quests. I think this is because Authors are nuts and try to add depth to their stories even if it is a short 20 min run.

Thank you for your reply!

Do you think it might help for campaign storylines to go along with the lore in whatever district they're located in? That might make it a bit more cohesive and meaningful perhaps. K, I might need to re-think a quest I'm working on...

Also, is there anything specific that should be seen mechanics-wise that might be generally missing from many PvE settings? Certain types of battles, etc...
  • Options
    skiptisskiptis Member Posts: 21 Arc User
    edited December 2013
    The type of PvPer you're talking about is most likely interested in the human factor and competitive nature of PvP, which you can't really reproduce in the Foundry. Secondary preferences are going to be a lot more varied and down to individual tastes rather than being similar for the group of players as a whole, so you might as well try to make the Foundry quests you had in mind have a broad appeal in general.

Not saying that asking PvPers for ideas is bad, just that there isn't a silver bullet that will suddenly make PvPers love PvE.
  • Options
    edited December 2013
    skiptis wrote: »
    Not saying that asking PvPers for ideas is bad, just that there isn't a silver bullet that will suddenly make PvPers love PvE.

I agree, but I do think that Foundry quests can offer more in terms of PVE. Like I said, I don't do much PVE in MMO's I still play games like Skyrim, Red Dead Revolver more recently and other PVE games. MMO's are getting better for PVE too imo. Like Neverwinter, SWTOR, etc are much better than WOW, Rift, etc and I expect that the next one's ESO, Black Desert, etc will step it up once again. But yes, I am only one person and I have an interest in the Foundry anyway.

Anyone making foundry quests should do what they want to do. If you want to do it there will be people that want to play it. If you are doing it for other reasons like tips or whatever then maybe it's not worth it. I doubt many PVP players bother with The Foundry to be honest. Could be wrong on that. After all I am mainly a PVP player but it was the foundry that brought me to Neverwinter.
  • Options
    adernathadernath Member, Neverwinter Knight of the Feywild Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited December 2013

If you talk about lack of story, then PvP scenarios are usually lacking a story. It is also quite obvious that you can not really have a single epic story in an open-end game.
    Suggestions to improve NW:
    - Dualspec
    - Better rewarding foundry and foundry pvp maps
    - Custom PvP leagues with leaderboards instead of the current 'matchmaking'.
    - Armory
    - make jumping cost stamina (to reduce hopping in pvp)
  • Options
    edited December 2013
    adernath wrote: »
    If you talk about lack of story, then PvP scenarios are usually lacking a story. It is also quite obvious that you can not really have a single epic story in an open-end game.

PVP is not supposed to have a story. It's combat, the gameplay is in how you react to other players. Street Fighter 2 dose not have a story, It was still a good game.

To say it's clear that you can't have a story in an open end game is ridiculous. With that logic you could say A film/Book/Game can not have a sequel. The clue is in the name mmorpg, that's Massively multiplayer online ROLE PLAYING GAME. Meaning that you take up the Role/STORY of your character, I'm sorry but random go kill 10 of x collect 10 of y so I can make z, over and over again dose not do it for me. A story dose not have to span every second of the game and you can even have many smaller stories within a story. As for the task of continuing over many expansions/modules. Well that's the trick. It's up to developers to keep us interested.

and by the way, the op asked for PVP players OPINIONS, meaning it is subjective and that was mine.
  • Options
    edited December 2013
    Thank you for your answers so far. :)

Yes, I was thinking that a PvP'er's opinions may be as varied as those of everyone else, but then again, PvP'ers have a certain thing in common: they largely prefer PvP over PvE. There are a number of reasons, and I'm just wondering what they are, and which of those may be feasible for tackling in the foundry. Those who are largely dissatisfied with the PvE content may have a large majority opinion on it.

As mentioned, the desire to battle another human cannot be really addressed in foundry, and the battle arena has the unique ability to satisfy that particular desire when it comes up. Heck, I wanna shoot some player characters too sometimes, so I jump in (and usually die a copious number of times, but oh well. lol).

The PvPers I'm addressing are the ones who PvP because of a decided dissatisfaction with the available PvE content as it stands right now (aside from the urge to fight a person). So far, some answers I've heard are monotony of the grind, lack of an engaging storyline, and one other, though I can't remember what at the moment.

Some can be tackled. Some probably can't. I just want to know what is what.
  • Options
    edited December 2013
    The best way of attracting PVP players to The Foundry would be to be able to make PVP foundries. Now that would be something. :cool:
  • Options
    edited December 2013
    The best way of attracting PVP players to The Foundry would be to be able to make PVP foundries. Now that would be something. :cool:

Haha, that would, indeed, be interesting!