test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

My Cleric Disciple

jabbyxdjabbyxd Member Posts: 0 Arc User
edited December 2013 in General Discussion (PC)
For those of you who use the Cleric Disciple as their companion when they first start out, would you mind answering me this question.

Why does my Cleric think it's a tank? I sit reading up on my new skills and feats when i level up, or checking out the AH and i seriously watch my Cleric run up to stand-by enemies and aggro them... Then when they kill her, they come to me.

Why does my Cleric think she is a tank >:l
I'm sad
Post edited by jabbyxd on

Comments

• genrldestructiongenrldestruction Member Posts: 5 Arc User
    edited December 2013
    jabbyxd wrote: »
    For those of you who use the Cleric Disciple as their companion when they first start out, would you mind answering me this question.

Why does my Cleric think it's a tank? I sit reading up on my new skills and feats when i level up, or checking out the AH and i seriously watch my Cleric run up to stand-by enemies and aggro them... Then when they kill her, they come to me.

Why does my Cleric think she is a tank >:l
    I'm sad

Because they modeled the AI off of the worst things that players do?
    * Stand in the fire
    * Run AWAY from the tank when they get aggro
    * Pull when you're not ready
    * Stand and do nothing while you get mobbed by 16 things, and then throw an insufficient heal when its too late.
    * Trigger the traps that everyone else walks around.

Honestly, though, the reason is because AI takes quite a bit of processor time, and there are thousands of companions running around, not to mention the mobs. To have smarter companions would take time to write the AI, and then would take up more server time for each decision. If the routine was complex enough it might slow down their reaction, making them appear dumber. There was probably a compromise at "good enough most of the time". Every game I've played that lets you take NPCs with you suffers from the same unintelligent AI (Skyrim, Guild Wars, Star Trek Online, to name a few).
  • endocinendocin Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 204 Bounty Hunter
    edited December 2013
    Love to see my cleric go running into the next room while in my inventory..;)
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • lionmaruu0lionmaruu0 Member Posts: 327 Arc User
    edited December 2013
    They should take out the attack power of the cleric disciple and put another healing or just a buff or whatever, the damage is ridiculous and only make the cleric aggro the mob.
  • bioshrikebioshrike Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 4,729 Arc User
    edited December 2013
    Frankly, they would only need a few small tweaks in order to improve companions immensely:

1. Leashing option - stay IN FRONT of me, stay BEHIND me, stay WITH me.
    2. Aggressiveness - DON'T attack at all, ONLY attack if attacked first, ALWAYS attack any enemy in range - (this last option may be best kept disabled if in dungeons/instances that require a team).
    3. Add a checkbox next to each of a companion's active powers/attacks, so we can enable or disable them.
    <::::::::::::::)xxxo <::::::::::::::)xxxo <::::::::::::)xxxxxxxx(:::::::::::> oxxx(::::::::::::::> oxxx(::::::::::::::>
    "Is it better to be feared or respected? I say, is it too much to ask for both?" -Tony Stark
    Official NW_Legit_Community Forums
  • angryspriteangrysprite Member Posts: 4,982 Arc User
    edited December 2013
    lionmaruu0 wrote: »
    They should take out the attack power of the cleric disciple and put another healing or just a buff or whatever, the damage is ridiculous and only make the cleric aggro the mob.

That's exactly what they did with the new Fawn companion (you can earn/buy it at the Winter event) - no attack, strictly passing stats.

I've noticed my Cleric has been acting opposite this most recently. The problem is that she will attack any hostile that comes within range of her (I'm not sure what the range is) - and it seems the Cleric's attack range is farther out than the range of encounters (before they recognize your presence).

So what I'm seeing is that my Cleric will start attacking them, which will pull agro, while I'm standing around doing whatever.

She's a rather extroverted angry little wench looking for trouble, I suspect.
  • norsemanxnorsemanx Member Posts: 124 Arc User
    edited December 2013
    I was leveling a character the other day and I was in one of those instances where the quest takes place inside a house. I cleared the first floor and I stood there for a moment to recover. My cleric companion literally ran across the room, up the stairs, grabbed agro from all of the beasties up there, then ran them all back down the stairs to me. I was just like "wow".
  • abell39abell39 Member Posts: 1,175 Arc User
    edited December 2013
    bioshrike wrote: »
    Frankly, they would only need a few small tweaks in order to improve companions immensely:

1. Leashing option - stay IN FRONT of me, stay BEHIND me, stay WITH me.
    2. Aggressiveness - DON'T attack at all, ONLY attack if attacked first, ALWAYS attack any enemy in range - (this last option may be best kept disabled if in dungeons/instances that require a team).
    3. Add a checkbox next to each of a companion's active powers/attacks, so we can enable or disable them.

This would be fabulous.
    Kerensa Loreweaver, level 60 DC | Rilla Turtledove, level 60 CW | Calvin Meriwether, level 60 TR
    Kaylee Krankenwagen, level 60 GF | Tavandruil Wayfinder, level 49 GWF | Aldith Langley, level 51 HR
  • manplowmanplow Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited December 2013
    For some reason, my minions never go after baddies unless I run up to the bad guys and hit them in the face first. I don't know what I'm doing wrong.

Merry Christmas!
    Warrior Nation. Always recruiting. Check us out.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Like a snow plow, but for people.
  • fondlezfondlez Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited December 2013
    I have seen Cleric Disciple wipe entire parties in T2 dungeons.

Favorite wipe: someone had it out in that long section of Epic Spellplague where you have to kill Gatekeepers....

2nd best almost wipe (hard to kill my GWF): approaching Karru, rounding a bend to first boss where trying to avoid Magma elite and his many Forgecaller giant friends.

These days, if I see a Cleric Disciple out, or indeed any other combat pet in a T2 run, I call it out immediately at the start of the run.
  • mconosrepmconosrep Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited December 2013
    The companion aggro issue getting out of hand.

While doing my Sharandar dailies my cleric companion pulled no fewer than four separate groups while I was trying to fight them one set at a time. She will run from an attack and with her aggro radius trigger more mobs, then run from these and trigger yet more mobs, then run from these and.......

I would much prefer the companion AI / aggro changes returned to what they were previously as I much rather my companion dies because she doesn't run away from mobs to me dying because she keeps pulling lots of mobs.
  • xellizxelliz Member Posts: 955 Arc User
    edited December 2013
    The biggest problem I have is that a number of the pets like to run away from the enemy without regard to where they are running. This is causing them to run into other currently non-engaged groups. Doesn't matter how many they pull, as long as they are alive they are running around aggroing everything just to get away from whatever it is attacking it.
    Foundry - Fight Club? (nw-dluqbofu7)
    - JailBreak (in development)