test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

Best mount for slalom

thorak257thorak257 Member Posts: 125 Arc User
edited December 2013 in General Discussion (PC)
What is the best mount for slalum. Do different mount handle better? I haven't noticed a difference except for lower speed means better handling.
Post edited by thorak257 on

Comments

• Options
    tribalsagetribalsage Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited December 2013
    I have a Owlbear and I know how to handle it pretty good on the track, so I'm guessing any mount will be good to use it just takes some getting use to, but if you put in some time you will get the hang of it and do well. But the basic horse from what I've seen does pretty well for all people... little to know effort really to control.
  • Options
    sockmunkeysockmunkey Member Posts: 4,622 Arc User
    edited December 2013
    Unicorn is the best, hands down. And so simple to drive, just point the horn in the direction you wanna go :p
  • Options
    edited December 2013
    sockmunkey wrote: »
    Unicorn is the best, hands down. And so simple to drive, just point the horn in the direction you wanna go :p
    I thought Unicorn was pretty good too, but I just totally got owned by someone riding a white tiger.
  • Options
    bioshrikebioshrike Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 4,729 Arc User
    edited December 2013
    It seems that the speed of the mount is inversely proportional to how well it handles. I've done the slalom race on everything from foot (no mount) to a purple horse and worg. You have to find a balance that's good for you - though if you're just looking for participation credit, it shouldn't matter as long as you complete the race.
    <::::::::::::::)xxxo <::::::::::::::)xxxo <::::::::::::)xxxxxxxx(:::::::::::> oxxx(::::::::::::::> oxxx(::::::::::::::>
    "Is it better to be feared or respected? I say, is it too much to ask for both?" -Tony Stark
    Official NW_Legit_Community Forums
  • Options
    edited December 2013
    bioshrike wrote: »
    It seems that the speed of the mount is inversely proportional to how well it handles. I've done the slalom race on everything from foot (no mount) to a purple horse and worg. You have to find a balance that's good for you - though if you're just looking for participation credit, it shouldn't matter as long as you complete the race.
    Unfortunately, participation credit only is not good enough. Participation credit is 9 simrils and the cheapest thing worth buying cost 850 simrils. That's approx 100 races if your just looking for participation credit.
  • Options
    edited December 2013
    If you listen to the race master he says maybe a spider would be more stable. I wonder if some mounts are more stable than others? Personally, I haven't seen a difference between the Hotn spider and the unicorn.
  • Options
    manplowmanplow Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited December 2013
    I find my 50% speed White Horse is just OK at taking corners, but when it comes to speed, it's a little iffy. I've done the Twilight Run with it maybe three dozen times and had some great scores, but I've only managed to get all the rally gates within the time limit twice.

I've raced a friend several times, just for speed and without regard for score, and won every time against his regular horse and leopard. The leopard gave him a big advantage on straight segments, but it was very hard for him to deal with hairpin turns and obstacles. I could outmaneuver and ultimately outrace a leopard, but the rally gates are still out of reach for me.
    Warrior Nation. Always recruiting. Check us out.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Like a snow plow, but for people.
  • Options
    bioshrikebioshrike Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 4,729 Arc User
    edited December 2013
    thorak257 wrote: »
    Unfortunately, participation credit only is not good enough. Participation credit is 9 simrils and the cheapest thing worth buying cost 850 simrils. That's approx 100 races if your just looking for participation credit.

That's why you don't *just* participate in the races. Do a race when it's up, kill some monster's what that event is running, do the winter event instance on the sword coast adventures, and fish. Rank up the winter event profession and craft yourself a purple fishing rod.
    <::::::::::::::)xxxo <::::::::::::::)xxxo <::::::::::::)xxxxxxxx(:::::::::::> oxxx(::::::::::::::> oxxx(::::::::::::::>
    "Is it better to be feared or respected? I say, is it too much to ask for both?" -Tony Stark
    Official NW_Legit_Community Forums
  • Options
    valwrynvalwryn Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 1,620 Arc User
    edited December 2013
    I have fun with the pig mount. I'm able to control the piggy more with it's slower speeds. But the Rak with it's wide spread rack on his head allows me to miss many slaloms but the rack still touches it. :confused:
  • Options
    mrspumamrspuma Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited December 2013
    I've tried Mystic horse, Pig, White Tiger, and the "small deer" (trade bar merchant). I have a lockbox Stag too but haven't tried it.
    The only way I can think of to compare them is to say it feels a bit like the different type of wheel transmission types might if taken in light snow without chains. Rear-wheel drive. Front wheel drive. AWD.

Assuming a decent run (eg, you don't royally screw up your timing in some way):

---Mystic (110%) works fairly well but feels front-heavy and slow in those spots where it's difficult to avoid sliding almost into a wall or something and I miss the 3rd gate (?) timer more often.
    ---Pig (50%) was fine/was funny. Only used it a couple times so no real feeling other than that.
    ---White Tiger (110%) definitely feels the most race-car "fastest" but at the expense, as others have mentioned, with a seeming tendency to rear-slide a lot more/get out of control a bit more whilst trying to hit targets.
    ---The small deer (80%) feels like AWD. Been the best so far for me at least. Very little wild sliding, more control, able to grab the bonus bags and able to make all 3 timers with a few seconds to spare each. By far my favorite to use.
  • Options
    xellizxelliz Member Posts: 955 Arc User
    edited December 2013
    I wonder if there is actually a difference between mounts of the same speed or if this is some illusion of the mind.

Anyway, I guess it depends on the char and the player. I have finished 1st running on foot with my GWF who has lots of +movement at this point and done terrible on my lowbie HR on foot who has no + movement. My personal preference has been with a 50% mount.
    Foundry - Fight Club? (nw-dluqbofu7)
    - JailBreak (in development)
  • Options
    angryspriteangrysprite Member Posts: 4,982 Arc User
    edited December 2013
    All illusion, other than mount speed. It comes down to your control (W Key).

When running, if you let go of the W key you begin to slow down. If you jump and let go of the W key while in mid-air, when you land you will come to a very sudden and jarring full stop (no sliding). However, getting moving to speed again is sluggish unless you can hit the speed boosters.

It's about control - watch Slalom skiers and see why they jump and turn mid-air - doing that helps a lot, too.

There's a really NASTY bug after the third giant ramp - if you hit the right-hand obstacle, (or try to jump over it,) you'll fly into the air and lose all gravity. it can take several seconds until you're on the ground again. Also, if for some reason you find the speed-boosters are not boosting your speed (you're stuck in "standard" speed) -dismount then remount. That *should* fix it.
  • Options
    skajikskajik Member Posts: 18 Arc User
    edited December 2013
    I use the Stormraider Clydesdale (110%) and have finished gold or silver every race. It does really suck on the turns but on the couple of areas where you can pretty much run straight it is great.
  • Options
    pitshadepitshade Member Posts: 5,665 Arc User
    edited December 2013
    Do it on foot with a GF and use your block to apply the brakes. Wizard can stop by teleporting but takes time to start moving again. GF has a lot more control. Otherwise, I've only used 110% mounts. The key is to learn the course and be able to start turning long before you reach the spot.
    "We have always been at war with Dread Vault" ~ Little Brother
  • Options
    abell39abell39 Member Posts: 1,175 Arc User
    edited December 2013
    I've been using my 110% Dusk Unicorn on the characters that have it because I like crashing into walls. ;) I clear all the rally gates and get in a ton of runs, but I miss 8-10 slalom gates on average. But it's fun.

Best control does indeed come from foot-racing it, but I've yet to hit any gates other than the 1st and finish line before the cutoff on my baby HR/GWF. GWF sprint does not seem to impact speed at all when fully boosted, else that might help.
    Kerensa Loreweaver, level 60 DC | Rilla Turtledove, level 60 CW | Calvin Meriwether, level 60 TR
    Kaylee Krankenwagen, level 60 GF | Tavandruil Wayfinder, level 49 GWF | Aldith Langley, level 51 HR