test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

Companion upgrades don't seem worth it.

cryshalcryshal Member Posts: 71 Arc User
edited December 2013 in General Discussion (PC)
I know there are threads on this, but I'm really disappointed now because I don't have the AD to upgrade my Man at Arms. Are there any other companions, Zen store companions, that can taunt? That's what I need, as an HR. Which are the best healers?

I see auction house prices are very high in diamonds. Where do people get that many diamonds? I know you can do dailies for diamonds, but that isn't what I enjoy for more than occasional.

I hope WildStar isn't pay to play like Neverwinter is.
Post edited by cryshal on

Comments

• Options
    siestrionsiestrion Member Posts: 30 Arc User
    edited December 2013
    Galeb Duhr is a zen store companion that taunts. It's epic/purple, so it can be raised to Rank 30. At Rank 30, it has a passive that heals 8% of its HP every 10 seconds. It's a nice tank companion. It costs 3000 zen.

I feel your pain on the Man at Arms. I slotted him up with HP runestones for the rune slots. And cheap blue level 60 defense and regeneration gear for the item slots. He works fairly well this way until you hit a boss.
  • Options
    mconosrepmconosrep Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited December 2013
    Tank companion are always going to be the hardest to get effective. I wouldn't bother raising the level of your companion and instead
    siestrion wrote: »
    slotted him up with HP runestones for the rune slots. And cheap blue level 60 defense and regeneration gear for the item slots. He works fairly well this way until you hit a boss.

as defense (apparently) and regen work wonders on companions and lifesteal also seems to be very useful.
  • Options
    melodywhrmelodywhr Member Posts: 4,220 Arc User
    edited December 2013
    your free companions don't need to be upgraded to be viable while leveling up. most DCs will choose the man-at-arms companion while the free cleric is often chosen by others since it will save you a bit on healing potions. and again, through leveling up, you don't need an upgraded companion or even a zen store companion.

a common zen store companion for end-game players is the ioun stone of allure which is an augment companion. this companion's stats augment your own so it's great for boosting stats you may need.

and it's also arguable that you need a companion at all. they can be helpful, but they are not necessarily required. i would use your earned AD for more important upgrades before i would upgrade any companion.

good luck!
  • Options
    rortierortie Member Posts: 178 Bounty Hunter
    edited December 2013
    For the most part I agree with everything here. As it happens, I spent all the AD I had to level the Ghost Knight up to 30. Was it 'worth' it? In terms of AD value? Not really. But I like it, and it can tank Mad Dragon. I have not spent AD on any other companion levelling.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    "Young people....." - Erik Lehnsherr
  • Options
    bendalekbendalek Member Posts: 1,983 Arc User
    edited December 2013
    It can be worth it ... Mostly it depends on your play style ... If you've become used to your companion, and even adjusted your tactics to use them, then it may be worth while ... The cost of Purple (ie.e max rank 30) Z-Store companion IS roughly comparable to the AD<->Zen conversion and upgrade of a white companion, so you really just need to decide if the active bonuses and help they provide is worthwhile at higher levels ...

- melodywhr's suggestion is quite valid, as the Stones do give you a boost to your stats, just remember, that advantage is really only needed for PvP, as the single player content (PvE) is quite doable without the boost and WITH the extra help companions can give

Again though it all comes down to preference, I have a lvl 30 (Purple) Cleric Disciple, who I've augmented with Runes and Gear, who happily accompanies my GF onto "The Bridge" and survives perfectly well, and provides sometimes much needed heals ... Companions with a Knock Back power are very helpful to Ranged classes like CW's. DC's and HR's, but some, like TR's for instance prefer "Tanks" like the MaA or "The Thing" (Galeb Duhr) And then there is a few Ranged Companions that can also help by taking the focus (aggro) off of you and thereby giving you Combat Advantage (= flanking attack) and Critical chance ...
    Is it finally a T5/U/T6 KDF Science Ship?
    tacofangs wrote: »
    Nope, just a McKrenim Happy Meal toy.
    IMPERIAL AUSMONAUTS - STO Klingon & Rom-Klink Fleet.

My%20STO%20Sig%20Clear_zpsb3deonfo.png
  • Options
    shunterinoshunterino Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited December 2013
    bendalek wrote: »
    melodywhr's suggestion is quite valid, as the Stones do give you a boost to your stats, just remember, that advantage is really only needed for PvP, as the single player content (PvE) is quite doable without the boost and WITH the extra help companions can give

You can't take pets into PVP not even stones, so you don't get any augment stat boost.
  • Options
    ambisinisterrambisinisterr Member, Neverwinter Moderator Posts: 10,462 Community Moderator
    edited December 2013
    Galeb Dhur is a good option...

But as Melodywhr said for End Game content most people stick with the Ioun Stone for a few main reasons:
    -They can't die so the buff never leaves
    -They don't pull unexpected aggro

However to give you a different alternative:
    If you use aspect of the pack there are a fair number of companions that work great with combat advatage.
    Dire Wolf (Guardian Pack) - Knocks back when it has combat advantage. Prones at level 30.
    Skeletal Dog (100K for Rank 1, 500K for rank 2 from AH, give or take) - Knocks prone when it has Combat Advantage
    Blink Dog (200-300K from AH, give or take) - Has some attack when it has combat advanatage but it's active bonus grants +3% damage when it has Combat Advantage
    Slyblade Kobold (Zen store) - Has an attack which is benefited from combat advantage

Most, if not all of those, can be used at "tanks" due to the combat advatage benefits. Particularly the Dire Wolf and the Skeletal Dogs. You honestly will likely be better off with those than an actual defender.

P.S. - I don't recommend upgrading companions. It's just too dang overpriced. (sorry Cryptic, it's the truth)
  • Options
    bendalekbendalek Member Posts: 1,983 Arc User
    edited December 2013
    shunterino wrote: »
    You can't take pets into PVP not even stones, so you don't get any augment stat boost.

Well, their you go, I didn't know that! ... I knew companions weren't allowed, but I thought stones were ... Learned something today = Today was a good day.

Even more reason why I can't understand why people insist YOU HAVE TO GET A STONE ... I guess, I'm used to playing ... err ... other ... Similarly named games, where you had companions and familiars, and learned to use the tactically ...

To be sure the AI on some of the NW companions still need more work, but Cryptic have done some sneaky updates ... They do need to tweak the CD a little more though ... She doesn't just stand around and die like she used to, but now she seems to want to charge into battle with her piddling little 1 damage per week attack, I keep wishing there was a command option to tell her "Put you *** three paces behind me and stay there!!!"

They also seemed to have heard our compl ... err ... discussion, and tweaked the Panther so it gets it's furry *** into gear quicker, and it's prone attack is great for a HR, but I still think the Dire Wolf is THE best HR companion ...
    Is it finally a T5/U/T6 KDF Science Ship?
    tacofangs wrote: »
    Nope, just a McKrenim Happy Meal toy.
    IMPERIAL AUSMONAUTS - STO Klingon & Rom-Klink Fleet.

My%20STO%20Sig%20Clear_zpsb3deonfo.png
  • Options
    charononuscharononus Member Posts: 5,715 Arc User
    edited December 2013
    Well, their you go, I didn't know that! ... I knew companions weren't allowed, but I thought stones were ... Learned something today = Today was a good day.

Even more reason why I can't understand why people insist YOU HAVE TO GET A STONE ... I guess, I'm used to playing ... err ... other ... Similarly named games, where you had companions and familiars, and learned to use the tactically ...

To be sure the AI on some of the NW companions still need more work, but Cryptic have done some sneaky updates ... They do need to tweak the CD a little more though ... She doesn't just stand around and die like she used to, but now she seems to want to charge into battle with her piddling little 1 damage per week attack, I keep wishing there was a command option to tell her "Put you *** three paces behind me and stay there!!!"

They also seemed to have heard our compl ... err ... discussion, and tweaked the Panther so it gets it's furry *** into gear quicker, and it's prone attack is great for a HR, but I still think the Dire Wolf is THE best HR companion ...

Dire Wolf is horrible, maybe at 30 it's ok once it knocks prone instead of knocks back, but that thing constantly knocks mobs out of my aoes. I have it to level 28 right now and have hated every minute of leveling it.
  • Options
    ambisinisterrambisinisterr Member, Neverwinter Moderator Posts: 10,462 Community Moderator
    edited December 2013
    Even more reason why I can't understand why people insist YOU HAVE TO GET A STONE

The answer is quite simple. You summed up why you didn't understand when you said "single player content."

The reason people advocate the use of Ioun Stones or Augments is because of their effectiveness in dungeons and group content.

In single player content you don't need a companion let alone a stone to do well.

While group content can similarly be done without a stone or a companion the difference between those that have a stone or companion and those that do not is quite drastic and very much noticeable. Whether it is for the speed advantage in a more elitist group or the power advantage for groups which might not have the 'best' players an augment is very much helpful.

P.S. Honestly you're more likely to get your posts edited for talking like you're violating rules than if you simply said what you wanted.
    Please don't do that.
  • Options
    adinosiiadinosii Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 4,294 Arc User
    edited December 2013
    There is a situation where leveling up a companion is worth it - in the sense that it is the cheapest (or even the only) option to increase your stats. If you already have BiS gear, R8-R10 enchants, all the available boons and so on, then the only way to get a significant stat boost may be to upgrade your companions or artifacts, and the companions might simply turn out to be proportionally cheaper....at least if you start from a green or blue companion - the cost to go from white too green is excessive in my opinion.

I have upgraded two companions from green to purple for exactly this reason - the Mercenary and the Faithful Initiate.
    Hoping for improvements...
  • Options
    artanisenartanisen Member Posts: 159 Arc User
    edited December 2013
    In my view companions are way over price to upgrade.
    would be nice if a similar method like the refinement system
    was added to the companions to make upgrading them easier.

also would be nice if epic companions where allowed
    to wear full set of equipment. to make it worth upgrading.
    but thats just me.
    "Power tends to corrupt, and absolute power corrupts absolutely."
    "Great men are almost always bad men."
    “If God is all-powerful He cannot be good, if God is good He cannot be all-powerful!”
  • Options
    xxmantaraxxxxmantaraxx Member Posts: 362 Arc User
    edited December 2013
    For me the hardest part is ammasing the 700k AD. if i could sink AD in to it a little a day it would be nice.

Ara Atheanes GWF
    Traxus Atheanes GF
    Bastiel Atheanes DC
    Ellara Atheanes CW
    Keira Atheanes TR
    Sarasin Atheanes SW
    Jerkface McGee HR
    -MANTARA- OP