test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

How am I supposed to not die in skirmishes/dungeons?

beiki1beiki1 Member Posts: 2 Arc User
edited December 2013 in The Wilds
I'm lvl 54 at this point. Almost every group I get in doesn't have a cleric. Also I spend about 50% of my time running away from enemies because it only takes a couple hits to kill me. Is there something else that I should be doing?
Post edited by beiki1 on

Comments

• elusiveonen7elusiveonen7 Member Posts: 190 Arc User
    edited December 2013
    I've never had a cleric in a skirmish and I've done fine. You've got to know when to ease up on the AOE damage when you know enemies are not being controlled. I'm learning split shot will get you more trouble than you'd like, and forest ghost doesn't always save you.
  • beiki1beiki1 Member Posts: 2 Arc User
    edited December 2013
    I only now took Forest Ghost because up until now it sounded pretty useless.
  • shadow5930shadow5930 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 502 Bounty Hunter
    edited December 2013
    Forest Ghost is a stealth. It's an instant loss of aggro.

Marauder's rush/escape *both* lose aggro. So charge in or flee and they'll lose aggro temporarly. If someone else has more aggro, they will switch.

Know what you're fighting with. When not solo and dealing with skirmish stuff, you have to work in the team unless you're high geared. :)

Hope it helps!
  • gavinrunebladegavinruneblade Member Posts: 3,781 Arc User
    edited December 2013
    I don't use stealth or marauder's escape/rush and I can usually avoid aggro just fine but still top the damage in skirmishes and dungeons. The trick is to avoid being the first one to attack, to focus on what the tank is hitting or clean up the minions without hitting the big enemies, and in-general learn how to aim split shot so you don't hit enemies you don't want coming to beat you down.

Just because we can apply damage to 5 enemies at a time, doesn't mean that's always the best way to help the team win. We have lots of powers with many different effects. Don't rely on your AoEs exclusively in PvE. Some of those single-target attacks are very useful and very fun.

When I do get aggro, another good tip is don't run away from the enemy, run TOWARD THE TANK. Thanks to the melee powers I do see more hunters know this one (compared to wizards--myself included sometimes--who often seem to head for the hills once stuff starts meleeing them). But it does bear repeating. A decent tank will see that you've got a baddie in tow and will get it off you. Good Damage teammates will turn on it and kill it so you can get back to helping them kill the others. If you can shoot other enemies without hitting the one chasing you while you run to the tank (then in circles around him until he gets the point) so much the better.

But if you ran away from the team, while you're also away from other enemies there's no one around to help you.
  • obsidiancran3obsidiancran3 Member Posts: 1,823 Arc User
    edited December 2013
    Also Fox's Cunning and Binding Shot do wonders as well.

Fox's means you don't take damage from a hit, Binding means you do good damage and hold things in place to maneuver away. By things I mean elites, Fox's Shift will usually kill trash that reaches you.

Also stack more deflect.
    Obsidian Moonlight - Paladin
    Obsidian Oath - Warlock
    A whole lot of other Obsidian toons as well.
  • indolo238indolo238 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users, Neverwinter Knight of the Feywild Users Posts: 51
    edited December 2013
    Good advice already given so I'll just add "Hindering Strike".
  • denverralphydenverralphy Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users, Neverwinter Knight of the Feywild Users Posts: 145 Bounty Hunter
    edited December 2013
    I hate to say it... but have you checked your gear recently?

The HR hands down is the most reliable class without a DC in the group I've seen yet. You can solo the entire game with just Marauders, Binding Shot, and Thorn Ward for encounters. In a skirmish or dungeon you have exceptional leeway to change one or two encounters as the situation requires... but realistically, in any situation, you should have plenty of stamina for an insane amount of dodges.

The HR rarely has to rely on pots to stay alive, unless a party wipes and things go sour.
  • chemboy613chemboy613 Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 1,521 Arc User
    edited December 2013
  • dkcandydkcandy Member Posts: 1,555 Bounty Hunter
    edited December 2013
    beiki1 wrote: »
    I'm lvl 54 at this point. Almost every group I get in doesn't have a cleric. Also I spend about 50% of my time running away from enemies because it only takes a couple hits to kill me. Is there something else that I should be doing?

When you are level 60, you can stack HP / Regen / Life Steal and heal yourself.
  • bendalekbendalek Member Posts: 1,983 Arc User
    edited December 2013
    I've got to agree, and add that I didn't even take Marauders or Ghost, As I prefer to use the HR's incredible mobility and ability to do damage and wear down even the toughest of enemies from afar ... Split Shot was an annoyance at first because of it's habit of aggroing to many groups, so I learned to control the battle by positioning myself and by drawing enemies into areas and fighting the battle on MY terms.

I'd use Aimed if the d*** thing didn't reset because a Troll farted somewhere in Faerun ... If it had a build up the same as Split, it would be godly (and probably OP'd truth to tell) So I just use Focused Split instead, for BIG hits,

Also, although Rapid doesn't "seem" to be a big hitter at first, it actually builds up, so the first hit might only be 500 to 1K, but after the third hit in a row (for me at least) it's doing 8K to 15K with almost continuous crits. (because the HR is a Crit God AFAIC) And Master of Archery popping of every time the timer resets ... It melts Bosses and Elites after a couple of smacks with Vines and Hindering ... Well that's how I do it anyway, I haven't died (yet) and can solo anything currently available to solo, and the only skirmish/dungeon I haven't done yet is VT
    Is it finally a T5/U/T6 KDF Science Ship?
    tacofangs wrote: »
    Nope, just a McKrenim Happy Meal toy.
    IMPERIAL AUSMONAUTS - STO Klingon & Rom-Klink Fleet.

My%20STO%20Sig%20Clear_zpsb3deonfo.png
  • chemboy613chemboy613 Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 1,521 Arc User
    edited December 2013
    Should have stated that you were HR.

Hr do TONS of dps and hence draw TONS of aggro. You do spend a lot of time kiting, but you gotta make sure there is a CW or GF between you and the mobs to freeze or pull aggro. Otherwise you will get swarmed.

Porting mobs are terrible, espeically berserkers in spellplague :(
  • schulz87schulz87 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 6 Arc User
    edited December 2013
    bendalek wrote: »
    I've got to agree, and add that I didn't even take Marauders or Ghost, As I prefer to use the HR's incredible mobility and ability to do damage and wear down even the toughest of enemies from afar ... Split Shot was an annoyance at first because of it's habit of aggroing to many groups, so I learned to control the battle by positioning myself and by drawing enemies into areas and fighting the battle on MY terms.

I'd use Aimed if the d*** thing didn't reset because a Troll farted somewhere in Faerun ... If it had a build up the same as Split, it would be godly (and probably OP'd truth to tell) So I just use Focused Split instead, for BIG hits,

Also, although Rapid doesn't "seem" to be a big hitter at first, it actually builds up, so the first hit might only be 500 to 1K, but after the third hit in a row (for me at least) it's doing 8K to 15K with almost continuous crits. (because the HR is a Crit God AFAIC) And Master of Archery popping of every time the timer resets ... It melts Bosses and Elites after a couple of smacks with Vines and Hindering ... Well that's how I do it anyway, I haven't died (yet) and can solo anything currently available to solo, and the only skirmish/dungeon I haven't done yet is VT

I think the 8k 15k your talking about is the TOTAL damage of rapid shot fired, not 15k per hit of rapid shot, that would be OP
  • luformluform Member Posts: 28 Arc User
    edited December 2013
    One of the factors involving threat or aggro is distance. Distance between u and the mobs. So if your team has a gwf or tr instead of GF, let him go first and make sure u are at your maximum distance to attack or if u are not sure, just make sure u are the furthest guy in the team away from mobs and quickly close in to find your max attacking distance. I have marauder's escape, thorn wards and rain of arrow. Suppose if u have aggro, move to the closest teammates near u and when the mobs are coming after u, drop a thorn ward (if u have time) and use marauder's escape away from the direction of mobs. Like what they have said, u will lose aggro when u use marauder's escape. When the monsters lose their aggro on you, they will come after the closest guy which is the teammate u have "chosen". He will have the aggro and u will be behind to heal up and multi-shot or aimed shot some of the mobs. Besides, if u have dropped a thorn ward, it will lower one of the monsters defence and add dps to kill the mob. once u have healed up, drop rain of arrow on the group of mobs near your "chosen" one. It should finish the mobs quite fast to save your teammate. It is a screwed-up method but survivability is important to u.