test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Can GWF Sentinel tank at endgame dungeons?

horebehorebe Member Posts: 3
edited December 2013 in The Militia Barracks
Hi guys,

I'm new to the game, lvl 24, with a GWF and I see that for now I can easily tank the two dungeons that opened. And at endgame the GWF still can tank? They are usefull at PVE? We can queue as tank or only as DPS?

I mean, how's the life of a GWF in PVE at endgame?
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• zefsgrzefsgr Member Posts: 104 Bounty Hunter
    edited December 2013
    tank's are not needed for end game pve. Your GWF will make ok dps but people would rather have a CW or TR.
  • horebehorebe Member Posts: 3
    edited December 2013
    so GWF is kind useless at endgame PVE?
  • inthefade462inthefade462 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited December 2013
    Sent Gwf can tank all end game dungeons, and also dps on par or better than any other class atm.
  • zefsgrzefsgr Member Posts: 104 Bounty Hunter
    edited December 2013
    they can not dps on par with other class if their sent spec...same lv of gear and skill the dps will out dps a sent gwf...now other specs they can keep up the dps for sure...
  • ortzhyortzhy Member Posts: 1,103 Bounty Hunter
    edited December 2013
    horebe wrote: »
    Hi guys,

I'm new to the game, lvl 24, with a GWF and I see that for now I can easily tank the two dungeons that opened. And at endgame the GWF still can tank? They are usefull at PVE? We can queue as tank or only as DPS?

I mean, how's the life of a GWF in PVE at endgame?

Atm is rly good. Due to some rly odd reason we cant que as tanks, but only as dps. Gwf can tank extremely well as long as u have high power gear, make your sentinel 5k-6k power and u;ll be good, also take bleed.
  • pers3phonepers3phone Banned Users, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited December 2013

Not at all.

If specced for DPS, they have similar or better damage than CWs. They have the awesome advantage of dealing damage consistently even in dangerous situations.

Basically, only bads would refuse GWFs in parties for dungeons, they are an awesome asset to have.
  • inthefade462inthefade462 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited December 2013
    zefsgr wrote: »
    they can not dps on par with other class if their sent spec...same lv of gear and skill the dps will out dps a sent gwf...now other specs they can keep up the dps for sure...
    I think you're in for quite a surprise if you ever group with a good gwf.
  • slushpsychoslushpsycho Member Posts: 657 Bounty Hunter
    edited December 2013
    GWF tank hard and can still dish out DPS, whoever say GWF is not good in endgame dungeon are n88b himself, even pre Mod 2 GWF are good in endgame dungeon the problem is majority players are stupid.
  • warpetwarpet Member Posts: 1,969 Arc User
    edited December 2013

since they buffed him and fixed deep gash it can do some nice dps but it still dose not bring anything in team so ppl will still just take 3xcw+tr for all epics since cw do the same or better dps but it also cc lock trash,give huge debuffs and buffs so if u have 3x cw in team u can have more then 2x faster dungeons run then with gf or gwf in team all u will see in chat is looking for 3xcw or 2x cw for epics u will never see looking for gwf or gf
  • mconosrepmconosrep Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited December 2013

Technically no, but as the poster above me pointed out, GWFs are still hopelessly outclassed by CWs who can do as good or better DPS, have control abilities and the advantage of range.
  • burkaancburkaanc Member Posts: 2,186 Arc User
    edited December 2013
    cw arent superior anymore, but tanks arent really needed, having somebody to run in, get aggro and take few hits while they line up their cc, since many of them have long cast times, really helps. even my 23k hp, 32%dr & 12% deflect instigator gwf is enough for that, just get unstoppable and from then on mobs are ccd most of the time, drop Come and get it so they have easier time hitting/ccing stuff.

the classes that arent really needed anymore are gf's(tank that is not needed and some sub par dps), tr's(just single target dps, though they buff crit and have good single target dps that helps on bosses) and hr's(they have some dmg but dont have utility so its better to grab a gwf or cw). dc's for easier dungeons arent necessary if u get ~10% life steal and thats easy with mod2

for an easy run i feel like its best to have dc, cw, gwf, cw or gwf and whatever usually tr for crit buff since 2cw+gwf or cw+2gwf mow mobs down so fast that there isnt much left to do
    Paladin Master Race
  • horebehorebe Member Posts: 3
    edited December 2013
    warpet wrote: »
    since they buffed him and fixed deep gash it can do some nice dps but it still dose not bring anything in team so ppl will still just take 3xcw+tr for all epics since cw do the same or better dps but it also cc lock trash,give huge debuffs and buffs so if u have 3x cw in team u can have more then 2x faster dungeons run then with gf or gwf in team all u will see in chat is looking for 3xcw or 2x cw for epics u will never see looking for gwf or gf

That's why I began this thread. I've always seen the LFG chat asking for DC and 3 CWs. So the other classes must be a little lost at endgame. How can they gear up without farm in instances. How I said, I don't how this game MMO works, but every other I played we farm at instances for gear up at PVP.

My question is: If everybody wants CW, TR and DC at instances, how a GWF can get better gears when we hit lvl 60?
  • djyrbdjyrb Member Posts: 28 Arc User
    edited December 2013
    Sentinel GWF's might not be able to out-DPS other classes in most cases, but AOE clearing with Slam and at-wills like Wicked Strike is not to be underestimated, especially when used in conjunction with CW crowd control.

However, I would say one of the hands-down best features of the Sentinel is simply the ability to stay alive, through a combination of the right feats and powers, and of course, Unstoppable. If you can get a hold of a Soulforged enchantment, it gets even better.

This can mean the difference in boss fights where the party can re-engage after campfire respawning; for example, the 2nd boss in Spellplague Caverns. By staying in the fight and giving time for the other players to get back in, it can save your group from a wipe and having to redo the battle.

This may not be tanking in the classic sense, but it's a definite advantage the Sentinel GWF has, IMO.
  • xellizxelliz Member Posts: 955 Arc User
    edited December 2013
    I know at least 2 Sent GWF from Legit channel that consistently out damage EVERYONE by millions by the time the dungeon is over. I have run MC with both of them a good number of times and their DPS is just insane.
    Foundry - Fight Club? (nw-dluqbofu7)
    - JailBreak (in development)
  • burkaancburkaanc Member Posts: 2,186 Arc User
    edited December 2013
    would want to run with them, if they do comparable dmg to my inst id switch to sent :D
    Paladin Master Race
  • kolatmasterkolatmaster Member Posts: 3,111 Arc User
    edited December 2013
    GWFs of all specs are viable in endgame dungeons/instances. Those who are only looking for 3 CWs and 1 DC aren't people you'd want to run with normally, at least that's my opinion... I'd strongly suggest find a Guild that you enjoy and do content with them, it is a good time!

Aside from that I believe Sentinel is perfectly viable in endgame dungeons/instances. Obviously the better gear you have is helpful, however the ability to stay alive when others FUBAR the instance is a true blessing. Plus I find it fun... Now with Iron Vanguard, and a decent spec, GWFs Sentinels can hold aggro much better then before. Not perfectly mind you, but definitely much better then before and it is an asset to a group.

:cool:
    va8Ru.gif
  • marcioohmarciooh Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 91
    edited December 2013
    Recently I find it hard to find a CW or TR which does more damage as my GWF. Although yesterday I got outdone big times by another GWF. He has like 15k GS and I got around 13k GS and we did PK epic. He had done double as much damage as me (he was no 1 damage dealer), I was no 2 or 3, but I rarely find a CW/TR standing above us nowadays!

Glad with what they done to the GWF, they are now good as DPS but also as tank. With my few 13k GS I mostly am the one to tank bosses in a 2/3 MC run. Which goes pretty good, unless you got a louzy DC which doesn't pay attention to much :p
    "Every online game requires more to give than it offers or it's not worth actually playing. Even though we all know this we still decide to play anyway."

:cool:
  • djyrbdjyrb Member Posts: 28 Arc User
    edited December 2013
    burkaanc wrote: »
    would want to run with them, if they do comparable dmg to my inst id switch to sent :D

I ran my CW with LEEROY JENKINS last evening in Valindra's Tower and he had a huge lead on me in the damage charts. My CW is pretty solidly geared and I usually top damage in groups, so I was pleasantly surprised. You might want to check out the updated build in kolatmaster's thread for some tips.
    edited December 2013
    burkaanc wrote: »
    Running in the same party wih a sent isnt a fair comparison especially as inst because of determination. You'd basically have to go out of your way to find red to stand in or youd never get unstoppable, which is a major source of dmg and one of the main reasons why sent has such great dps.
  • pkdeadly1pkdeadly1 Member Posts: 45
    edited December 2013
    its rofl seeing so many ppl I know talking about my gwf in nice way yes sent gwf = win in dps but it takes special build and right gear and so on.

as for adding to party student of sword at min is like best stacking dps buff I would run with 4-5 sent gwf any day who know there class.
  • maxibestmaxibest Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 34
    edited December 2013
    Im sentinel GWF, im extremely hard to kill, even in PvP usually takes 3-4 people (except if they have godly gear), and im just using Imposing Scrapper (T1). On this pug, my party got wiped out at the first boss in Karrundax, i tanked the boss and every add until my party ressed and came back. I also did the same at the second Spellplague boss, i literally carried my party through that boss, since they all died repeatedly, and me staying alive always enabled them to come back.

My damage is much inferior to a CW that knows what he's doing, but since im almost impossible to kill and still deal decent damage, im pretty sure i can be an asset in many dungeons, so dont worry about GWF being viable in endgame.
  • badeacelraubadeacelrau Member Posts: 85
    edited December 2013
    A Destroyer can have permanent unstoppable on so who tanks better in the end? :)
  • chemboy613chemboy613 Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 1,521 Arc User
    edited December 2013
    GWF.... worst PvE class, best PvP class. Personal opinion,

that said a good GWF is a real asset to a team, but a good anything is a real asset to the team ^^ A bad GWF is good at running into the mobs and dying.
    edited December 2013
    you clearly haven't grouped with any decent gwf much less a good one, and ever since module 2, even bad gwf are decent now.

GF and TR are duking it out now for worst PvE class atm, it pains me to say as my first 2 chars were TR, GF in that order. HRs are suffering from what GWFs and TRs did initially, in that there are just so many of them and only a handful know their class well and have gear (granted they've only been around for a few weeks live and a month on preview before that). I'd put the avg HR at the GF & TR level but once you've weeded out all the drizzt and legolas I'd put the good HR up with DC/GWF level. CW still dominate PvE even if they don't top DPS charts anymore, they just stack too well with one another, and stacking control and AOE dmg eliminates the tanking role entirely, and reduces the need for a high single target DPS class. Not to mention with the constant nerfs that TRs have received they aren't really capable of outperforming in this role by a large margin anyway.