test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

HR's and Group Dynamics for T2s

marrowrotmarrowrot Member Posts: 2 Arc User
edited December 2013 in The Wilds
Hello all first time poster. Just curious if anyone else is having trouble getting into groups for T2's. I realize everyone is reliant on 2-3 CW's so they can run as many DD's as possible during the hour, but how in the heck are we suppose to get our sets? Before someone says it, I realize I should be able to run with my guild, but even then they would rather have CW's for anything but VT. Unfortunately, my main is a CW so they always want me to just hop on my main. lol. I WANT GEAR FOR MY HR!!!

This isn't really a complaint, just wondering if anyone else is having the same issues. I'm currently 12.5k GS combat spec with Gvorp and all R7's. Gear shouldn't really be an issue getting into groups. I usually out dps most other classes unless it's a CW/HR with a perfect vorpal. It's also not a L2play issue, as I have one of each class at 60 and most of them have all T2 gear/weaps. I've done all of these dungeons several times.

I love the playstyle of the HR combat spec, and would like to enjoy the challenge of doing T2's with him. What gives?
Post edited by marrowrot on

Comments

• Options
    voltomeyvoltomey Member Posts: 1,052 Bounty Hunter
    edited December 2013
    i think its because they think

1. we suck at DPS
    2. less versatile then having a second CW

If it weren't for my new guild i probably would have never started getting in t2 groups and even so the DD chest are borked atm for the HR class and seldom drop are own gear witch is disheartening and doesn't help are gearing issue.
    Gang Busters PvP Guild Recruiting When Mod 6 goes live Pm Me for more Info If you have any Paladin question Message Me and i will get back to you ASAP
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    s3curuss3curus Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited December 2013
    voltomey wrote: »
    i think its because they think

1. we suck at DPS
    2. less versatile then having a second CW

If it weren't for my new guild i probably would have never started getting in t2 groups and even so the DD chest are borked atm for the HR class and seldom drop are own gear witch is disheartening and doesn't help are gearing issue.

Reaaaly? Well you see I'm sort of a altoholic and I got a char for every class. So far HR seemed like THE main DPS out there. Squishy but kicks like a mule. So your telling me in the end game that doesn't apply anymore? :/

Guess my choice of main will come down to either TR, GWF or CW but CW is my least favorite so far seems extremly weak dps wise in the begining (lvl 20ish)
    Main: Liz Jerro CW (Black Scorpions) 13k+
  • Options
    ratjamratjam Member Posts: 93 Arc User
    edited December 2013
    Just spam lfg chat, i farmed all t2 set first week after release and weapons set from valindra too, only helm in spell plague chest is still bugged (drop t2 dc helm) other chests are fine.
  • Options
    marricusmarricus Member, Neverwinter Knight of the Feywild Users Posts: 15
    edited December 2013
    I think a lot of people need multiple CW's to cover their own inadequacies. Lots of control means less work for others :) People are set in their ways doing some encounters and don't like change or something less optimal. Replacing a TR with HR is an easy swap imo. With HR achieving higher DPS when played right. Replacing a CW will take some convincing as we lack the AE control that CW's have. My main is a CW so I can understand why people think they way they do.

I did FH with a PuG last night, group was GF, DC, 2 x HR and GWF. We did first 2 bosses with a couple of downs but no major issue kiting multiple trolls around using split shot and shift was easy enough. Failed on 3rd boss because the GF could not aggro and kite the mobs, preferring instead to whack on the boss occasionally. Despite explaining the encounter before we started it. He then says that we are sh*t and rage quits. Was quite funny really. Another one added to the don't group with list...

Shatterhand 60 HR with The Chosen guild.
  • Options
    hrodvalderhrodvalder Member Posts: 43 Arc User
    edited December 2013
    I can't really say anything out of the perspective of a Max. Lvl HR since I'm only lvl 26, but when I'm setting out a group (as a CW), I usually go with HR instead of TR. TR is nice but honestly, the range alone is better imho. Let's say you play FH with a TR, he's on the Boss all the time, but in the End, I get killed by the Archers. But if I have a good HR with me, he can redirect 1-2 attacks on those wankers and finish them off quite quickly without having to run around all the time.

So this seems like a good trade-off.

Plus I haven't met a HR who does waaaay less damage than I or the TR does... It all comes down to skill.

And besides: If you have a group who doesn't let you play as the class you want, it's not gonna be fun anyway :D
  • Options
    burkaancburkaanc Member Posts: 2,186 Arc User
    edited December 2013
    goups can carry a hr or 2 with them, it shouldnt ruin the run but hr doesnt give anything to group, cw does dmg and ccs, gwf do dmg and can facetanks making run easier with less kiting, tr does great single target dmg and gives 5% crit
    Paladin Master Race
  • Options
    hidahayabusahidahayabusa Member Posts: 634 Bounty Hunter
    edited December 2013
    I guess, good Damage and constant Combat advantage is quite good to have.
    * Notorious Dwarven Bear Cavalry Leader *
  • Options
    edited December 2013
    burkaanc wrote: »
    but hr doesnt give anything to group,

This is very Untrue with have aspect of the pact are buffs if you chose to forgo a little dps commanding shot and thorn ward to lower defense on target we can interrupt bosses and we have to split the sky a snare and seismic shot can also push mobs of ledges just not like a CW can do it. Any way Controll is more then about pushing mobs off ledges and we do have quite a bit of control option we just lack mob pushing.
    Gang Busters PvP Guild Recruiting When Mod 6 goes live Pm Me for more Info If you have any Paladin question Message Me and i will get back to you ASAP
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    badeacelraubadeacelrau Member Posts: 85
    edited December 2013
    I think people aren't used to HRs yet. It took a time for them to learn "party be 2 CWs, 1 DC, 1 GWF, 1 TR", so it will take a while until they learn what a HR is capable of.
  • Options
    edited December 2013
    This is very Untrue with have aspect of the pact are buffs if you chose to forgo a little dps commanding shot and thorn ward to lower defense on target we can interrupt bosses and we have to split the sky a snare and seismic shot can also push mobs of ledges just not like a CW can do it. Any way Controll is more then about pushing mobs off ledges and we do have quite a bit of control option we just lack mob pushing.

i forgot about the pack, but hunters tend to be far from group and cw/gwf are mostly in melee range, dunno if the range of that skill is enough, and for most classes tr crit buff is as good if not better, for instigator pack rocks, but we can add CA with our skills and another cw could do more of cc giving us 15% from trample for a longer time

gwf and cw can interrupt as well so thats nothing special

thorn ward is ok but its single target and gwf and cw lower defense with aoe abilities

split the sky is so slow to cast and dmg is so pathetic(especially with mobs being ccd most of the time anyway) that getting another split shot in might do more dmg

also from my experience it feels like hr needs a support from other classes in keeping mobs away from them while most cw and gwf needs is a heal/ astral here and there and they can either facetank or peel for themselves

the only party slot i see for hr is the one of tr and tr's arent as needed anyway
    Paladin Master Race
  • Options
    edited December 2013
    burkaanc wrote: »
    i forgot about the pack, but hunters tend to be far from group and cw/gwf are mostly in melee range, dunno if the range of that skill is enough, and for most classes tr crit buff is as good if not better, for instigator pack rocks, but we can add CA with our skills and another cw could do more of cc giving us 15% from trample for a longer time

gwf and cw can interrupt as well so thats nothing special

thorn ward is ok but its single target and gwf and cw lower defense with aoe abilities

split the sky is so slow to cast and dmg is so pathetic(especially with mobs being ccd most of the time anyway) that getting another split shot in might do more dmg

also from my experience it feels like hr needs a support from other classes in keeping mobs away from them while most cw and gwf needs is a heal/ astral here and there and they can either facetank or peel for themselves

the only party slot i see for hr is the one of tr and tr's arent as needed anyway

First off split the sky i will agree its slow to cast but when you can 3 three of them and storm ward all thanks to stormstep forest ghost combo its all good you never lose dps also its effected by its melee counterpart throw caution. Any way i tend to stand mid range on my HR cause so i can hit the group with CA i am combat spec so i have high deflection chance and about 1766 regen 30% resistance so being close to a party is not a problem especially if the CW is doing its job.

And if i ever did get swarmed with mobs i have soulforge and blood raven skull for insurance and even before that forest ghost is a stealth that lets me lose agro along with marauders that will also recharge all of my skills so you know for me being in mid melee range is not going to hurt it actually boost my overall dps. And So far there has never been a CW i could not keep up with in dmg and the only time i ever get out dps by fighter classes is if their packing lightning enchantment and lucky RNG.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    edited December 2013
    im not saying hr are bad, but that cw/gwf are better for the 3 slots and hr place is in the last spot like gf and tr, and archers lose a lot of dmg from being closer so that buff applies only to combat/support rangers
    Paladin Master Race
  • Options
    linknigrilinknigri Member Posts: 97 Arc User
    edited December 2013
    s3curus wrote: »
    Reaaaly? Well you see I'm sort of a altoholic and I got a char for every class. So far HR seemed like THE main DPS out there. Squishy but kicks like a mule. So your telling me in the end game that doesn't apply anymore? :/

Guess my choice of main will come down to either TR, GWF or CW but CW is my least favorite so far seems extremly weak dps wise in the begining (lvl 20ish)

HR has the worst dps, it only seem that way because split shot hits a huge area. But they have less dps then the cw and way less utility, in fact HR is extremely underpowered compared to any other class. Read my post for more info
    http://nw-forum.perfectworld.com/showthread.php?552891-Ranger-and-the-Baiacu-effect!-Read-before-making-a-ranger
  • Options
    linknigrilinknigri Member Posts: 97 Arc User
    edited December 2013

Its not like the HR does not add anything to the group, its just that, they offer less then any other. Seismic shot compared to cw push seems that u are really an optmistic guy. Comparing a dayle to something they can do at every 5 sec. Also, u need singularity to throw mobs out of most of the places. Aspect of the pack is horrible, the classess with high CHA already have their on way of having their combat adavantage on almost 100% time. Student of the sword from a gwf will increase the party damage overall a lot more then that and they can dps even more then HR. A TR will burst down the boss quickier then the HR. CW will also do more damage and control anything. Clerics are strict necessessary. There is really nothing an HR will acrescent to the group that other class wont do better. So people see HR as a waste of a party slot, and well, if anyone acrescent more then they do, then in fact they are.
  • Options
    edited December 2013
    there are still ppl pushing mobs, i mean the ones that have smth better than blue gear ? i guess some ppl love wasting time
    Paladin Master Race
  • Options
    kidbskidbs Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 294
    edited December 2013
    linknigri wrote: »
    HR has the worst dps, it only seem that way because split shot hits a huge area. But they have less dps then the cw and way less utility, in fact HR is extremely underpowered compared to any other class. Read my post for more info
    http://nw-forum.perfectworld.com/showthread.php?552891-Ranger-and-the-Baiacu-effect!-Read-before-making-a-ranger

You are completely wrong. The problem is that most HRs still don't fully understand their class and are undergeared. I am either 1st or second in dps in every run that I do on my ranger. HRs have higher single target dps than both CWs and GWFs. They also bring more AoE damage than GWFs. Hell they can act as better trash tanks than GWFs too.
  • Options
    edited December 2013
    This same question will always arise, as long as the game continues on this trend. Why is class X needed? The sad answer is that since CWs can do everything better, it's not needed in the strict sense!
    In D&D the wizard is a pure control class, but in this game they gave it the best damage, so why are you surprised other classes aren't needed when there is one class which fulfills more roles in a better way?

PS: Compared to a GWF or GF the HR has many more chances of joining a party. I know this from my own experience. I can hardly find a party for my 14.5k GWF these days when everyone is going to VT, but when Im searching as a HR people would PM me if I'd join them on VT, even though my gs is 12k and I was only looking for a T2.
  • Options
    djyrbdjyrb Member Posts: 28 Arc User
    edited December 2013
    PS: Compared to a GWF or GF the HR has many more chances of joining a party. I know this from my own experience. I can hardly find a party for my 14.5k GWF these days when everyone is going to VT, but when Im searching as a HR people would PM me if I'd join them on VT, even though my gs is 12k and I was only looking for a T2.

I can see why, as DPS ranged classes are in demand for that dungeon...currently. ;)

However, I agree with kidbs that the class is still very new and many players (including myself) are trying to learn the most effective way to compliment groups when running as an HR. I've been trying to keep an eye on what HR's in my parties do in dungeons when I run a different class, to get some ideas for mine I am leveling.

So far, I know it's challenging to protect and heal them when I play my DC, as they are often far away from the other party members when Astral Shield is being dropped. :)
  • Options
    borken69borken69 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 56
    edited December 2013
    kidbs wrote: »
    HRs have higher single target dps than both CWs and GWFs.

Is this a joke? You must not run with good CWs and GWFs. HR single target damage is trash unless you're spamming Fox Shift with Forest Ghost or Rain of Arrows on something that's not moving.
  • Options
    edited December 2013
    How is HR single target **** when you crit half the time at least, plus you got Thorn Ward which acts like a permanent crit second attacker for you ?
  • Options
    rishzothrishzoth Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 351 Arc User
    edited December 2013
    @Voltolmey

I can attest to that: Completed SP twice and in the DD chest each time was a cleric helm. Although, I finished Karrundax and got the correct bracers...

• Options
    obsidiancran3obsidiancran3 Member Posts: 1,823 Arc User
    edited December 2013
    The only thing keeping HRs from groups is player attitude. So glad my guild doesn't have that attitude.
    Obsidian Moonlight - Paladin
    Obsidian Oath - Warlock
    A whole lot of other Obsidian toons as well.
  • Options
    borken69borken69 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 56
    edited December 2013
    How is HR single target **** when you crit half the time at least, plus you got Thorn Ward which acts like a permanent crit second attacker for you ?

Because almost none of the skills have high base damage so it doesn't really matter if you're critting or not, they still won't hit hard. Once the few strong encounter skills are on CD, you're stuck spamming long induction ranged or weak melee at-wills. Best case scenario, you have low mobility but there isn't a lot of red for you to dodge. I'm not saying the single target is terrible, but it's certainly not better than a CW's.
  • Options
    kidbskidbs Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 294
    edited December 2013
    borken69 wrote: »
    Is this a joke? You must not run with good CWs and GWFs. HR single target damage is trash unless you're spamming Fox Shift with Forest Ghost or Rain of Arrows on something that's not moving.

My main is a ~16k CW so I'm well aware of what their single target damage is like. In a dungeon my HRs aimed shot can crit from 25-60k depending on debuffs. That is every 2 seconds. Throw down thorn ward for more dps on cooldown. That makes for very good sustained single target dps. My HR has a 14.6k GS btw.

So like I said, your are wrong. CWs still reign supreme in AoE damage however.
  • Options
    obsidiancran3obsidiancran3 Member Posts: 1,823 Arc User
    edited December 2013
    Actually the introduction of HRs is making the CC of CWs more important and their raw DPS less important, this is good for the game.
    Obsidian Moonlight - Paladin
    Obsidian Oath - Warlock
    A whole lot of other Obsidian toons as well.
  • Options
    zomdzomd Member Posts: 166 Arc User
    edited December 2013
    This is really unfortunate to hear as I'm just about to hit 60 and will be looking for groups/guild for dungeon runs. I'll probably never hit some of the gear scores listed in here anyway, but the whole push mechanic to toss mobs off ledges is way over used in this game. I say that as someone who ran a CW main at launch. Don't get me wrong, it's a neat mechanic occasionally. Unfortunately it seems like the only way to fix it is to redesign the dungeons, but that's not going to happen.

I guess rangers can hope that our second paragon path is somehow control (traps?) focused so we can compete. Maybe I'll just put neverwinter down again until the next class update.
  • Options
    edited December 2013
    kidbs wrote: »
    My main is a ~16k CW so I'm well aware of what their single target damage is like. In a dungeon my HRs aimed shot can crit from 25-60k depending on debuffs. That is every 2 seconds. Throw down thorn ward for more dps on cooldown. That makes for very good sustained single target dps. My HR has a 14.6k GS btw.

So like I said, your are wrong. CWs still reign supreme in AoE damage however.

Oh, we're giving random anecdotal evidence now? In that case, my CW regularly breaks 70k Icy Rays and 130k with Ice Knife. I also have a decently well geared HR that does similar damage but instead of providing CC, it just causes things to run amok. So like I said, you are wrong for the similar reason of no hard evidence.
  • Options
    rabbinicusrabbinicus Member Posts: 1,822 Arc User
    edited December 2013
    Actually the introduction of HRs is making the CC of CWs more important and their raw DPS less important, this is good for the game.

In full agreement with this.
    The right to command is earned through duty, the privilege of rank is service.