What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

My keyboard setup! What is yours?

dndmasterdarkdndmasterdark Member Posts: 0 Arc User
edited April 2014 in PvE Discussion
:D

I use the arrow keys to move.
numberpad 0 to loot items, this allows me to loot alot faster during a run, sometimes i catch em in mid air.
Numberpad 1, 2, and 3 are my encounter powers.
Jump is Right Ctrl.
Utility Power is Shift.
Auto run is Delete (on my keyboard) on other keyboards I use End.
At wills #1 and #2 is mouse left click and right click.
Dailys are 1 and 2 up top... This is the long distance finger movement I know but i'm think on changing these to the 7 and 8 on numberpad.
3 is healing potion.
6 is mount. This seperates the mounting and autorun connection after ...say a spawning in pvp, where i hit 6 then del and im already running to the contended area alot faster.

An issue sometimes is accidently hitting enter key...mostly when I pvp.
Numberpad 5 to invoke.

A, S, D to use the loot roll choices, this sucks when im in the middle of looking at my keyboard and I am typing then a loot roll comes up. lol I press the wrong choice. Like passing on an epic or blue. I must improve this one...or I have to wait til everything is looted before I type in the area.

All in all my main keys for combat are clustered together which makes for easier access in times of need. Faster movement when I can block in a heartbeat, or dodge in a flash.

Anyone else use anything similar to this? or do you use WASD keys? which I cannot use in any game and I dread the thought of it. But that is just me.

What is yours like?

P.S. This is great for altololics and seems to work great for hunters too. I use all 6 classes and its great!

I should have named this post "How to use only 1/3 your keyboard in Neverwinter and pwn everything"
Post edited by dndmasterdark on

Comments

• Options
    syka08syka08 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited December 2013
    At the moment the only modification I do is for auto-run and that's binding it to my middle click on my mouse.

However, you've got me thinking about altering loot roll choices now. Its moderately annoying to be running around in a group when that window pops up and I'm either forced to push shift+number and then dodging into a wall or something worse >_>. I've been pressing alt and just clicking them but that's a bit cumbersome. Binding it to Del, end and page down though... that might not be a bad idea.

Thanks!
    contents to be decided
  • Options
    craeh1craeh1 Member Posts: 135 Bounty Hunter
    edited December 2013
    Using default layout.
    Changed mount to 'H', Auto-run to 'T', big heal pots at '3', the other two slotes moved +1 ('5' and '6') used for secondary/emergency heal pots and sharandar-all+1.

Got artifacts power by '7' now, but it's quite far away, think I'll try 'C' or 'G'

Inventory, queue, map and powers still at default I, K, M, P.
    Interface things using CTRL+<key>, using mostly first letters (Guild, Mails, Zen Shop, Guild, Social, Campaign,...) don'tl look up there that often, so it's not that worse using CTRL+any
    Tired of running dungeons with exploiters and cheaters? /Channel_Join NW_Legit_Community to play the right way!
  • Options
    edited December 2013
    CAP LOCKS STILL SUCKS WHEN I USE IT ALL THE LETTERS GO BIG
    opps...Good thing that key is on the other side of the keyboard.

The looting key i use is perfect and very fast... unless someone stands on the lewt. lol.

For the most part my fingers should have to never leave the arrow key area... and it is then a finger reaching process in combo with the numberpad area. lol. Then again I can spread my pinkie finger and index finder over a span of about 6 inches. (I'm 6'3" so I have a larger hand)
  • Options
    tang56tang56 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users, Neverwinter Knight of the Feywild Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited December 2013
    I don't have a numpad or the middle island+arrow keys on my keyboard.

I use the stock setup, with 3,4,5 being pots, 6 being mount and mouse 5 for artifact.
    RIP Neverwinter 26/06/2014
  • Options
    edited December 2013
    What kind of keyboard does not have a numberpad?.. or arrow keys? wierd.

Changing the mount then autorun sequence would be good for page up and page down for me I think... even faster. That would leave Del open too. hmmmm...
  • Options
    jeffro9000jeffro9000 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Knight of the Feywild Users Posts: 121 Bounty Hunter
    edited December 2013
    Standard setup except I put jump and autorun on mouse thumb buttons and mount as spacebar. I also switch tab to shift, because my pinky rests there more comfortably. I double tap to dodge.
    Jeffro, DC
    Jeffrina Jones, GWF
    Jeffrodo, CW
    Jeffrogue, Rog
    Jelfro, GF
    Jeffrogolas Do'Urden, HR
    Jeffrodo Jaggins, SW
  • Options
    nwknight5280nwknight5280 Member Posts: 39 Arc User
    edited December 2013
    At wills, encounters and dailys are on my mouse (press/click/dbl click) for CW. This let me move the belt slots to 1/2/3 which are so much easier for me to get to from ASWD. Push to talk is ` and mount is ~. Loot is on mouse 4 and 5; but doesn't seem to work.
    "We cannna bring a troll to fire, but we can bring fire to the troll" - old dwarvish proverb
  • Options
    keldrath87keldrath87 Member Posts: 7 Arc User
    edited December 2013

Changing the mount then autorun sequence would be good for page up and page down for me I think... even faster. That would leave Del open too. hmmmm...
    Lots of keyboards dont have numpads. A lot of people prefer them because they don't use them often and prefer to save desk space, or it allows them to keep their mouse and keyboard closer together, so they dont have to space their hands as far apart.

they are called tenkeyless

this is an example of your ordinary tenkeyless keyboard.
    http://mechanicalkeyboards.com/shop/index.php?l=product_detail&p=72

and here is an example of one that goes even further and removes the middle section with the arrow keys.
    http://mechanicalkeyboards.com/shop/index.php?l=product_detail&p=459

just examples though, i don't necessarily recommend those particular ones as being any good.
  • Options
    osiabunnyosiabunny Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited December 2013
    I have always hated the wasd movement keys so I always shift them to esdf witch works out better and makes things a lot easier. Not even sure why the games shifted movement over that direction.. But you do have to shift over some other keybinds if they exisit too. Try it out might find it easier to hit those skill keys :D
  • Options
    bendalekbendalek Member Posts: 1,983 Arc User
    edited December 2013
    Using pretty much default ... The only thing I changed was putting mount at F4 and artifact at F5, because I got sick of trying to mount when using pots or activating the artifact.
    Is it finally a T5/U/T6 KDF Science Ship?
    tacofangs wrote: »
    Nope, just a McKrenim Happy Meal toy.
    IMPERIAL AUSMONAUTS - STO Klingon & Rom-Klink Fleet.

My%20STO%20Sig%20Clear_zpsb3deonfo.png
  • Options
    thecorpserthecorpser Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 45 Arc User
    edited December 2013
    I use a logitech m510 5 button mouse and the logitech g13 gamepad.http://gaming.logitech.com/en-us/product/g13-advanced-gameboard So much easier and comfortable than a keyboard!
  • Options
    ladymythosladymythos Member, Neverwinter Knight of the Feywild Users Posts: 637 Bounty Hunter
    edited December 2013
    I'm left-handed, so the normal setup isn't working for me. Fortunately, it's easy to fix:

Movement: W, S, A and D.
    Character screen: C
    Jump: V
    Inventory: Ctrl + V
    Map: B
    Mission journal: Ctrl + B
    Professions: Ctrl + R
    Block/dodge etc: Left Shift
    Artifact: Ctrl + C
    Use stuff: F

And that's pretty much it. The rest is the standard stuff. My thumb rests naturally on the left Ctrl, and I can easily use the thumb on that button and my pinky on V or B, so everything is within easy reach.

What I don't get is how you right-handed people use a setup similar to this. How the <bleep> do you use Ctrl and the number keys to access anything? (not a big deal here, but it's standard in most MMORPGs.) And holding Shift to spring etc? With what finger? o.O I have tried it, but I can't do it. I just can't. Even using the mouse with the right hand is a lot easier.

Edit: Added two keybinds
  • Options
    klat93klat93 Member Posts: 2 Arc User
    edited December 2013
    Using regular layout except with few changes below to make things feel more comfortable for myself.

1. Changed auto run to R
    2. Changed the R encounter key to F
    3. Changed loot/interact to Mouse 4 button
    4. Changed dodge to V and I turned off the double tap to dodge in the options so I don't accidentally dodge when I didn't need it.

Everything else is default as it's pretty much the same setup I use for all previous MMOs I've played.
    ladymythos wrote: »
    What I don't get is how you right-handed people use a setup similar to this. How the <bleep> do you use Ctrl and the number keys to access anything? (not a big deal here, but it's standard in most MMORPGs.) And holding Shift to spring etc? With what finger? o.O I have tried it, but I can't do it. I just can't. Even using the mouse with the right hand is a lot easier.

As a right handed person, I hate the CTRL modifiers, however I don't mind Shift and Alt as my pinky can easily find and hold Shift while my thumb can easily hold Alt. With the Shift modifier, I don't click it with the edge/corner of my pinky, I fold my pinky so that I click it with 1/3 of my pinky resting on it making it less strenuous on my pinky.
  • Options
    ladymythosladymythos Member, Neverwinter Knight of the Feywild Users Posts: 637 Bounty Hunter
    edited December 2013
    Heh, I press straight down with my pinky, using the tip. :)
  • Options
    hidahayabusahidahayabusa Member Posts: 634 Bounty Hunter
    edited December 2013
    3->Artifact,
    4->Pot (change pot position when PvP or PvE)
    X->Mount

The rest are the default keys. Q,E,R,1,2
    * Notorious Dwarven Bear Cavalry Leader *
  • Options
    stercogburnstercogburn Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 214 Bounty Hunter
    edited December 2013
    I stick to the default keys, however I use a Logitech G13 for my left hand. From the get-go I hated the Neverwinter interface, I find it really clunky and cumbersome compared to other games. However, using the G13 mitigates the worst of its clunky nature. It took me a while to map it in a way that suited me.

One of the downsides of the interface design in Neverwinter is that its near impossible to look around you while you're fighting a mob. In the past, this has been a crucial ability for me so I can easily keep up with what's going on in my surroundings. I still can't do this but by using the thumb-joystick on the G13 and turning it one way, while using the mouse to look the other way, I can kind of pan around while moving. Not perfect but it suffices so long as I'm not actually casting at the time.

I bind auto-run to mouse key 5 and utility power to mouse key 4 so I don't even use the left hand to activate these.
    Roo. Cleric. Mad as a bag of badgers, will heal for beer.

Ancient Shadows: Mature. Sensible. Custard.
    Recruitment info at: http://nw-forum.perfectworld.com/showthread.php?462591-Ancient-Shadows-Become-a-Lion-Tamer-without-learning-Chartered-Accountancy-first!&highlight=ancient+shadows
  • Options
    tang56tang56 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users, Neverwinter Knight of the Feywild Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited December 2013

http://cdn.head-fi.org/4/4e/4ebf6dd4_Desk2.jpeg
    That tiny little keyboard on the top is my usual keyboard. A KBT Pure 60%. The bottom keyboard is a fullsize(and now swapped out for a Ducky Shine 2...the pic is a few months old). I use a 60% because I often need the extra desk space for written assignments.
  • Options
    degraafinationdegraafination Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited December 2013
    Default layout with this exception: Artifact Power is now "V" (easy thumb tap). Made 3-6 back to post mod 2.
    PWP_zpsf8f711ce.jpg
    Join Essence of Aggression: PVP-ing Hard Since Beta!
  • Options
    mtgredneckmtgredneck Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited December 2013
    I am running the same set up as you,, I am liking it . I am new to the game so I am wondering if any one is using the W.O.W steel series mouse, and if so how did you get it to work. Not too good at the macros thing so if any one can help that would be great. Thanks
  • Options
    stabbathstabbath Member Posts: 350 Arc User
    edited December 2013
    mount is middle mouse button. q and e key and two side buttons on mouse do encounters/dailies. Rest is default I think. Tried to double right click for artifact but it messed that whole tray up. Potions didn't work. I hardly ever have to look down at my keyboard while playing. The keybinding system in this game is great. Better than most, if not any other game I've played. Minus the artifact <font color="orange">HAMSTER</font> things up. Guess it's a bug.
  • Options
    cellanoid#1655 cellanoid Member Posts: 2 Arc User
    edited December 2013
    I use almost all of the default layout with the exception of the mount. That's bound to M5 on my Naga.
  • Options
    benskix2benskix2 Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 674 Arc User
    edited December 2013
    I put my tab skill on the ` key, left 1-3 as encounters, 4,5 are the dailies, and 6-8 are the potion slots. I still use WASD for movement mostly but also have a side mouse button keyed to W so I can play with one hand when I need a sip of beer. I used F1 for artifact and the up arrow for mounting so they are out of the way and don't get hit by mistake.
  • Options
    swarfega27swarfega27 Member Posts: 185 Arc User
    edited December 2013
    tang56 wrote: »
    http://cdn.head-fi.org/4/4e/4ebf6dd4_Desk2.jpeg
    That tiny little keyboard on the top is my usual keyboard. A KBT Pure 60%. The bottom keyboard is a fullsize(and now swapped out for a Ducky Shine 2...the pic is a few months old). I use a 60% because I often need the extra desk space for written assignments.

Looks like a vertical mount Silverstone Fortress case? Those are very nice. Built one for a friend very nice to work in (aside from SSD mounting). Near silent and great air flow. Weighs a bloody ton though!
  • Options
    antonkyleantonkyle Member Posts: 776 Arc User
    edited December 2013
    I have to admit that I got used to the wow way so..

Left and right mouse press moved me forward, if I press both it dose the dodge. Middle mouse invocation mouse 4 loot/chat mouse 5 auto run. Then I use my numbers and keys around E for skills and what-not.

Works well for me.
  • Options
    edited December 2013
    swarfega27 wrote: »
    Looks like a vertical mount Silverstone Fortress case? Those are very nice. Built one for a friend very nice to work in (aside from SSD mounting). Near silent and great air flow. Weighs a bloody ton though!

Silverstone RV02, it's even heavier, especially filled with H2O :(
  • Options
    vaerthvaerth Member, Neverwinter Knight of the Feywild Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited March 2014
    thecorpser wrote: »
    I use a logitech m510 5 button mouse and the logitech g13 gamepad.http://gaming.logitech.com/en-us/product/g13-advanced-gameboard So much easier and comfortable than a keyboard!

I have the logitech M510 as well but it wont work in game. The buttons are set but wont work in neverwinter, help?
  • Options
    hamletswordshamletswords Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 1,320 Bounty Hunter
    edited March 2014
    This is the first MMORPG that I haven't needed to change much of anything at all, which is great.

Normally skills are auto-bound to the number keys, which is an unnatural reach from wasd. The keys they have the skills bound to are what I normally change them to.

Only thing I've changed like others is auto-run to middle-mouse.
    My Harem: Dawn HR, Erin CW, Piper TR, Zoe GWF
  • Options
    ambisinisterrambisinisterr Member, Neverwinter Moderator Posts: 10,462 Community Moderator
    edited March 2014
    Only change I make is due to the addition of artifacts.

I'm am used to mounts being 6 and I hated continually clicking to mount and wasting my artifact.
    Plus since I love my Razer Naga Epic the 7 is easier to reach and just happens to be in line with the 1 and 4 which I use as main Daily and Potion locations.
  • Options
    broadsie69broadsie69 Member Posts: 2 Arc User
    edited April 2014
    Ok **** alert guys, sorry.....How do i reconfigure WASD to arrow keys please, left handed and finding it difficult to navigate...Thanks in advance ;)