test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

Just wtf?

ifloniflon Member, Neverwinter Knight of the Feywild Users Posts: 17 Arc User
edited December 2013 in The Wilds
Ranged class with talents/Feast that increase Melee... why would i care about the melee ability's beside if there where to provide suvival.

And our most important Feast just got nerfed to the point its not even worth spend point on? How come we didnt get free respec token aswell obviously not fair to charge the players for correct a build after "you" made such skill completely useless, Not that it would make to much diffrent id just have another point not spend then cause there simply isent anyhing else worth take in my opinion.

Back to the GWF if i even bother keep playing.. such a shame for once i started to enjoy the game again and i kinda liked the mechanics around ranged aspect.

Here is my suggesting regarding Some possible Ranged fix

Master of Archery: Turn it back to how it was at first.

Rain of Arrows: Also increase its area of effect by +2/+3.

Aspect of the pack: This one dosent show what advantage i actual gets i think this should be more clear, aswell as does a companion counts as an friendlly target?.

Split Shot: Perhaps make it not auto focus on target so when a monster teleports you wont pull addional packs?.

Seismic Shot: Recude Damage Abit make it more Effective at pull mobs in.

Disruptive Shot: Increase Damage by 5%/10% if Interupt the target Instead of its base damage increase.

Hawk Shot: Target Enemy also takes +1% / +3% More damage from ranged ability's for 3/6 sec.

Aim Shot: For each Aim shot fired you gets 10% / 20% less chance to be interrupted while casting aimshot, Stacks up 5 times last 3/6 sec, Effect is not consumed in progress of a succesfull Aim Shot.

And overall just adjust the dmg rather then completely remove the Mechanics of the class, right now i can just spam any ability it will not have an effect at all.

- Iflon
Post edited by iflon on

Comments

• Options
    demonicangel318demonicangel318 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 29 Arc User
    edited December 2013
    Feat respecs cost AD, so it's not like you're losing "real" money. You can get enough AD for a respec in a day or two so you're not losing much either. Just do your dailies and some skirmishes during the event.

1. It was broken in this iteration. I can agree that it still needs some tweaking, but others are saying it's still feasible as is without being completely OP.

2. Rain of Arrows does have a fairly small AoE and I'm used to similar abilities being much larger. Overall, it's not terrible, but eh.

3. It gives combat advantage, which gives you and your ally bonus damage based on CHA (maybe other sources, idk, check the wiki). Sometimes it's easier to look things up yourself than to bother a million people with the question. And yes, it works on companions (the little sword icon next to the damage numbers means you have CA...which you could have also looked up).

4. This has been addressed in other threads, too. Don't rely on this ability, you have Rapid for a reason. Or if you're AoE clearing, the melee version is also fairly good, not to mention the good AoE encounters melee has. Don't be afraid to change stances.

3. I'm in some agreement here. I really like the damage on it as is when I originally thought it was pretty meh because it took 100% AP, but if things are clustered it's marvelous. I think the vacuum effect could be a little larger. Sometimes it feels like there's things that should be pulled in, but aren't.

4. I like disruptive shot, but man it burns through my AP. I think it's damage and daze are fine.

5. Hawk shot is already quite good to my understanding. The melee version already gives you a damage buff (that you can switch back into ranged to use), I don't see why it needs the buff you suggest. Some of this just seems like you want more OPness for the class with no grounds.

6. Aimed shot is also already quite good. I echo what I said with split shot here and that's don't rely on it. If you have a good tank in PvE, you should be able to snipe fairly well. In PvP, get a good sniping point so people can't easily interrupt you. An uninterruptable aimed shot is just silly, and any fast DPS/DoT will break you out anyway.

You likely just need some more practice with the class. I do just fine solo and in groups DPS-wise (often at the top of the charts) without just "spamming" abilities. Split the Sky, while not very satisfying to use (which makes me sad) is unfortunately too good to write off and I often find myself using it anyway.
    Felix Greentrack -- Halfling HR
  • Options
    edited December 2013
    I find it very hard to read what your exactly replying to in some of the case as the numbers dosent seem to match the list of ability?

As far for the AoE (Split shot) i play full on ranged Not a single melee hit. that is the way i intent to play this class aswell as why i chose ranged spec not to be forced to deal with melee ability's in the middle of a fight.

And i dont think i need more practise its about they Nerf the mechanics of the entire Ranged spec not just the dmg. also why i put my last statement

"And overall just adjust the dmg rather then completely remove the Mechanics of the class, right now i can just spam any ability it will not have an effect at all."

Atleast before i had an rotation to put up with now its just randomly blowing any coldown and rapid/split shot mindless all the way in the dungeon not saying we lost alot dps cause its not how it feels its just the mechanics are gone. ruin power / Feast / Pragon feast setup complete.

An example would be: Thorn ward or Rain of Arrows When you use a Crit on Next Encounter ability on either of those Powers you get like maybe 800 more dmg then you would normal compared to a Ability who target your enemy just once may increase dmg by up to 5000+, so it basickly completly changed the current spec i use in all ways.

Why i vote for keep the Master of Archery as it was for the mechanic's and Take away dmg else where, if that makes any sense.
  • Options
    demonicangel318demonicangel318 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 29 Arc User
    edited December 2013
    Well if you're refusing to use melee, that is your own issue. The class is intended to be able to do both, with a specialization in one or the other. You're severely handicapping yourself by ignoring half of the class's entire mechanics, but if you chose to do so, I can't really stop you.

And isn't every DPS class just "Spam whatever encounter is up right now?"
    Felix Greentrack -- Halfling HR
  • Options
    burkaancburkaanc Member Posts: 2,186 Arc User
    edited December 2013
    op is partially right, split shot should have lock removed, aimed shot could use some form of protection from canceling, i hate forced hybrid play too, its a great concept but ppl should be able to chose how to play the class, not forced a certain play style

aspect of lone wolf should be changed cause its ffn useless for melee, the build that would need it the most (PvE ofc, dont give a rats rear end for PvP) the biggest problem is the tons of adds not a single large mob where the ability is best
    Paladin Master Race
  • Options
    ljz6ljz6 Member Posts: 74
    edited December 2013
    burkaanc wrote: »
    i hate forced hybrid play too, its a great concept but ppl should be able to chose how to play the class, not forced a certain play style

It's not forced, it's just better dmg if you know how to use it correctly. Go play GF without a shield, or use a level 30 sword in a 60 PvP match as GWF. "It's how I want to play, why you guys force me to use what you want me to."

If just pure range was as strong as melee+range, what would happen if they learned how to use melee or vice versa?
  • Options
    knightfalzknightfalz Member Posts: 1,261 Arc User
    edited December 2013
    iflon wrote: »
    Ranged class with talents/Feast that increase Melee... why would i care about the melee ability's beside if there where to provide suvival.

It isn't a ranged class. One playing as a HR can choose to specialize in the ranged aspect of the class if desired. One can also choose to specialize in the melee or buffing aspect of the class.

The HR is a mufti-faceted class than can be approached in many ways.
  • Options
    edited December 2013
    ljz6 wrote: »
    If just pure range was as strong as melee+range, what would happen if they learned how to use melee or vice versa?

thats where feats SHOULD come in, but i guess its too much to ask from some ppl

and all the other classes have only one weapon set, hr has 2 so dont compare

if gwf could use greatsword and dual swords i would ask that both play styles are viable not some prius trash
    Paladin Master Race
  • Options
    bendalekbendalek Member Posts: 1,983 Arc User
    edited December 2013
    Oh look, yet ANOTHER thread about the same subject!

HR's were NEVER intended to be a Ranged only (or Melee only) class! They have always been talked about and demoed as a Hybrid class.

Yes you can choose powers and feats that enhance one or the other, but notice the Ranged feats have a Melee alternative that puts you right in the action? They are DESIGNED to work in tandem, and there is even a feat which enhances this synchronicity!!!

If you want a Howitzer/Artillery class, go play something else, and leave the HR alone, because they aren't it.
    Is it finally a T5/U/T6 KDF Science Ship?
    tacofangs wrote: »
    Nope, just a McKrenim Happy Meal toy.
    IMPERIAL AUSMONAUTS - STO Klingon & Rom-Klink Fleet.

My%20STO%20Sig%20Clear_zpsb3deonfo.png
  • Options
    ljz6ljz6 Member Posts: 74
    edited December 2013
    thats where feats SHOULD come in, but i guess its too much to ask from some ppl

and all the other classes have only one weapon set, hr has 2 so dont compare

if gwf could use greatsword and dual swords i would ask that both play styles are viable not some prius trash

Are you reading what you're even writing? If feats came in and made either or balanced, it'd have to also negatively impact the other form. Example; if you wanted range to be as strong as range/melee you'd need to literally have a feat that'd buff range and nerf melee. What kind of feat is that?

"Don't compare" - where do you even think this whole conversation is coming from? Hunters being weak compared to who? Oh, you're comparing their dmg to others? Well, in that case they're extremely strong compared to clerics.

GWF using greatsword and dual swords? Makes sense, greatsword would be stronger and slower and dual would be faster but weaker, that has literally zero to do with them switching from a ranged form to a melee form. That's like saying, hunters should have a shortbow for speed and longbow for dmg. Yes, that's a good comparison, good job.

Look at me, having to correct your horrible comparisons, how embarrassing.

Learn to play it how it is meant to be played, hybrid. Or take the hit in dmg when you try to be stubborn and play in one style.
  • Options
    edited December 2013
    ljz6 wrote: »
    you'd need to literally have a feat that'd buff range and nerf melee.

exactly this, sacrifice one ability you dont want to improve the ability you do want, that is why there are 3 paths not one

and still with ranged only i can pull more dps than about 90% of players in this game, just like with my cw, gwf, tr
    Paladin Master Race
  • Options
    edited December 2013
    bendalek wrote: »
    Oh look, yet ANOTHER thread about the same subject!

HR's were NEVER intended to be a Ranged only (or Melee only) class! They have always been talked about and demoed as a Hybrid class.

Yes you can choose powers and feats that enhance one or the other, but notice the Ranged feats have a Melee alternative that puts you right in the action? They are DESIGNED to work in tandem, and there is even a feat which enhances this synchronicity!!!

If you want a Howitzer/Artillery class, go play something else, and leave the HR alone, because they aren't it.

is it to much to ask that the ranged spec is actual ranged? why even have 3 spec if they are all the same playstyle? And playing a ranged class to go close combat and deal melee swing is not exactly the first thing that comes to mind is it?

I dont mind there being a melee option, it just shouldn be a part of the "ranged spec" aswell as be needed to be on pair in dmg. else i could just go back to my GWF after all..

I mainly played this class now to try something "diffrent" and playing a class dealing damage at a distance sound like a great choise for a second character but apparently i chose wrong?.
  • Options
    bendalekbendalek Member Posts: 1,983 Arc User
    edited December 2013
    STOP thinking the HR is a ranged class!!! That's the first thing you need to do!!!

Cryptic created a Hybrid, Ranged PLUS Melee class ... Get that straight in your head, the HR was, is, NEVER will be a Ranged only or Melee only class.

There is no Ranged Spec, in the sense that Cryptic didn't design the HR that way, as essentially it would then be two different classes. They do have feats and powers that allow you to increase the damage/buff/ or improve either Archery or Melee, but you will always have to use both ... this is how it was intended and how it should be ...

If you had ranged tree that was completely independent, then that would mean there would also be a corresponding independent melee tree ... but ... We already have that in game, the TR ...

IF you read through the descriptions of all the feats and powers, and look at what the ranged vs melee at-wills and encounters do, you will see that if you use a combination of both, the HR is awesome in battle, They even gave the 2 different encounter options separate, individual cooldowns to make it even more awesome.

I knew from the very first demo of the HR, that it would be a difficult class to play, one that would require a lot of planning and tactics to use well and also a class that finally didn't have the "cookie cutter" = "power A + power B + feat C + at-will A + encounter B then press A then B then C" and you win every fight in 1 minute, How boring is that !!!

I also new that i wanted to play this character right from then, because it is SO MUCH d**m fun and rewarding.
    Is it finally a T5/U/T6 KDF Science Ship?
    tacofangs wrote: »
    Nope, just a McKrenim Happy Meal toy.
    IMPERIAL AUSMONAUTS - STO Klingon & Rom-Klink Fleet.

My%20STO%20Sig%20Clear_zpsb3deonfo.png
  • Options
    charononuscharononus Member Posts: 5,715 Arc User
    edited December 2013
    bendalek wrote: »
    STOP thinking the HR is a ranged class!!! That's the first thing you need to do!!!

Cryptic created a Hybrid, Ranged PLUS Melee class ... Get that straight in your head, the HR was, is, NEVER will be a Ranged only or Melee only class.

There is no Ranged Spec, in the sense that Cryptic didn't design the HR that way, as essentially it would then be two different classes. They do have feats and powers that allow you to increase the damage/buff/ or improve either Archery or Melee, but you will always have to use both ... this is how it was intended and how it should be ...

If you had ranged tree that was completely independent, then that would mean there would also be a corresponding independent melee tree ... but ... We already have that in game, the TR ...

IF you read through the descriptions of all the feats and powers, and look at what the ranged vs melee at-wills and encounters do, you will see that if you use a combination of both, the HR is awesome in battle, They even gave the 2 different encounter options separate, individual cooldowns to make it even more awesome.

I knew from the very first demo of the HR, that it would be a difficult class to play, one that would require a lot of planning and tactics to use well and also a class that finally didn't have the "cookie cutter" = "power A + power B + feat C + at-will A + encounter B then press A then B then C" and you win every fight in 1 minute, How boring is that !!!

I also new that i wanted to play this character right from then, because it is SO MUCH d**m fun and rewarding.

Sounds nice in theory here's how it works in practice.

You don't have the survivability of either a tr or gwf, so you will take more damage in melee range.

If you spec for archery which is the highest dps spec still other than tabing to hit throw caution then tabbing back you will lose dps by going into melee mode.

Melee mode = more damage taken and less damage output

conclusion
    HR is a ranged class.
  • Options
    voltomeyvoltomey Member Posts: 1,052 Bounty Hunter
    edited December 2013
    charononus wrote: »
    Sounds nice in theory here's how it works in practice.

You don't have the survivability of either a tr or gwf, so you will take more damage in melee range.

If you spec for archery which is the highest dps spec still other than tabing to hit throw caution then tabbing back you will lose dps by going into melee mode.

Melee mode = more damage taken and less damage output

conclusion
    HR is a ranged class.
    The melee Tree has and always will do more DMG then the archer tree as its capstone feat outright lets all attacks ignore any kind of mitigation what so ever That includes unstoppable ITC High deflect dmg resistance so i don't know what you have ben smoking saying they do pitiful melee dmg.
    Gang Busters PvP Guild Recruiting When Mod 6 goes live Pm Me for more Info If you have any Paladin question Message Me and i will get back to you ASAP
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    obsidiancran3obsidiancran3 Member Posts: 1,823 Arc User
    edited December 2013
    Unless you build for melee, ranged is superior for dps. If you do build for melee that changes as you note voltomey.

Still I have no trouble with putting 5/5 in the melee encounter buffing feat in the Archery tree; when I do tab over to melee now to fire off Fox's (often with Master Archery buff) I love that damage boost! Even without endgame gear it makes that jump a particularly savage attack.

I spend 90% of my time in ranged, but when I do go melee I appreciate the buff to damage I get from the feat.
    Obsidian Moonlight - Paladin
    Obsidian Oath - Warlock
    A whole lot of other Obsidian toons as well.
  • Options
    chaoscourtesanchaoscourtesan Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited December 2013
    It's a hybrid class. It softens the target from range and finishes it when it gets tight. The trees are -specializations.- They are not exclusive.

If you are playing a Hunter Ranger in Neverwinter, you are playing a ranged/melee hybrid. How well you do it is your decision. The finer skills you have are your choice but you are still ranged/melee. Maybe they will one day create an Archer class, one that dies if anyone holding a sharp blade gets within a few feet of him. But that's not an HR.

You can try to stay out of range and never get up close and personal, but it will not often work out. And trying to notch and loose arrows at a target who's ramming a broadsword down your throat just looks silly, man. :D

Even unfeated, both the ranged and melee powers are strong. The feats are tweaks. So pick your shinies and squish some bad guys.
    Rhyon Cawdorian GWF | Opa Loka TR | Cormac Argentus III DC | Annika Thornblade GF | Aerys Skydark HR | Bartin Findlor TR | Aellia Baalthrall CW | Lucan Hawkmoon CW | Opa Brahk GWF | Korzbyrk DC | Den Kruk GWF | Jherek Skarsin CW |
    Roland Mac Sheonin GF | Tarron Direheart SW |
  • Options
    edited December 2013
    we already have gwf, gf and tr for melee and 0 physical ranged classes why are u so surprised that many ppl want to play hr as pure archer or close to that ? that is why there are 3 paths that should allow ppl to chose how to play
    Paladin Master Race
  • Options
    indolo238indolo238 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users, Neverwinter Knight of the Feywild Users Posts: 51
    edited December 2013
    we already have gwf, gf and tr for melee and 0 physical ranged classes why are u so surprised that many ppl want to play hr as pure archer or close to that ? that is why there are 3 paths that should allow ppl to chose how to play

It's not surprising that people want to, but that's not what they're saying. The point is HR is not that ranged class; it's a hybrid, designed to be a hybrid, to play as a hybrid. Doesn't mean you have to use range/melee 50/50, but if you ignore one side completely, you're ignoring a large chunk of the class.

People that like the class for being a hybrid (and there are a lot of them), will defend it against suggestions that it should be reworked to allow a pure ranged alternative. We enjoy the hybrid nature of the class and it doesn't make sense to take a class that's already developed and try to twist it into something else that'll break it for all the people who do like what it was designed to be. To augment range to not need the added power of melee, means nerfing melee in that range build and breaking the hybrid nature of the class.
  • Options
    rhoricrhoric Member Posts: 1 Arc User
    edited December 2013
    HR is a either melee/or range or both class. It is not strictly hybrid. I have never used melee on the class and I have 1 lvl 60 and currently have another at lvl 35. All my skills and feats are built around range and I can hold my own using just range. I can take down 3 elites at once with no issues using just ranged skills.
  • Options
    masterjewstarmasterjewstar Member Posts: 563
    edited December 2013
    I hybrid it up just fine even with the archery feat tree the melee adds much more survival and attacks much faster than the ranged attacks; it's just slightly less powerful with archery it doesn't make it useless to use melee. If anything switching to either stance makes the other easier. Besides If theres three guys; lol about to shove their broadswords down my throat i'd rather face them with long daggers than a bow. The bow is just for ranged, just like the daggers are for melee. Some of the abilities for melee that cause de-buffs are much stronger than their ranged counterpart.

Heroes use every tool they have to win. Kinda like in power rangers if they didn't use their giant robot they would never win.