test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

Rogue and Ranger...How do they compare to each other?

arriarri Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Knight of the Feywild Users Posts: 17 Arc User
edited December 2013 in The Thieves' Den
Hi everyone, I have a ranger at level 45, but I find myself sitting here wondering if the ranger is really what I'm interested in. From what I've experienced so far, their range outshines their melee so much it's not even funny, which leads to them not doing so well in single target encounters (PvP, dungeon bosses after adds are killed), and so I decided to look at the Trickster Rogue again, as they were the class I played when the game was in beta.

From what I can tell, the rogue is primarily focused on single target damage, with weak/nonexistant ranged damage, right? How is their ability to handle crowds of enemies at once from a PvE standpoint? I only managed to get my rogue to around level 15 or so before I stopped playing, so I don't have all that much experience with them.
Pinnys of all shapes and sizes.

Pinny Foxfang - 60 Guardian Fighter
Pinny Foxfire - 60 Scourge Warlock (Temptation)
Post edited by arri on

Comments

• Options
    angryspriteangrysprite Member Posts: 4,982 Arc User
    edited December 2013
    I've not compared them directly, but here's my perception, and from my own perspective and play-style, of course:

Rogue: 100% melee and fast. It's fun and it feel like a lot of energy with the screams and shouts and amazingly graceful combat animation (like a dance of sorts). It just feels powerful and energetic - like there is a passion there (glee or anger is up to you) - overall the Rogue just *feels* more exciting in melee combat than the Ranger.

The Ranger feels exciting in ranged combat, the way the Cleric does (to me) - it's a lot of fun. The Ranger's melee feels like it's nothing more than a "fall-back" position - rarely used and only when needed. Like a "crowd-control back-up" system. When fighting in melee stance the Ranger feels almost lethargic to me... it's as though I'm just swinging blades clumsily, almost blindly hoping to hit something. There is no satisfaction of 'scoring' those hits on the bad guys. It feels better, when in melee, to use my marauder's escape when it comes off cool down just so I can put some distance and switch back to ranged.

I am NOT a min-maxer by any sense of the word or idea. I'm a more casual player, so my perspectives are certainly not that authoritative on the subject. Let's just say that if you enjoy melee combat: You'll enjoy the Trickster Rogue a LOT more than the ranger. If you prefer ranged combat with a sprinkle of melee then the Ranger is a perfect fit.
  • Options
    nasuradinnasuradin Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited December 2013
    While not an expert at either class (Ranger is 36, Rogue is 60 but only play with it casually) I can say:

I also only use ranger melee/marauder's escape to launch myself back and forth in instance groups to avoid being hit, or just to finish off a few targets that are about dead who have caught up to me.

As far as rogue goes, while not as powerful as a ranger with a bow from my experience, does now have a new paragon path Whisperknife, that focuses on ranged throwing daggers a bit more, including giving a ranged at-will with unlimited charges (though with a slower wind up) as opposed to cloud of steel and some class features that benefit ranged daggers. It is also true the rogue is meant more for single target than aoe, but they do have blitz that throws a spread of daggers out, path of blades which causes a pulsing aoe on the ground that follows the rogue around, a new encounter from whisperknife that causes you to mark, then teleport to the target and swipe in an aoe as you land, and a few dailies that aoe as well.
  • Options
    caexarcaexar Member Posts: 355 Arc User
    edited December 2013
    The rogue has several ranged options and with the whisper knife it becomes completely viable to do so. You'll find the rogue is a far more polished character from a development standpoint and as stated they are the kings of single target combat. They have some capability for crowds of enemies too though it is through utility and trickery rather than outright damage.
    The ranger conversely has many options for crowd engagement and can hold its own very well in single target encounter as well. This does require stance change frequently which is a turn off for many. Melee may feel underwhelming in combat to you only because you haven't put it all together yet. Its like playing two characters in one.

If you are looking for all out ninja with stupid high damage capability than the rogue is the way to go. If you want greater versatility (not that the rogue doesn't have it) and have the skill for it than the ranger is good.
    Threat level 60 Guardian Fighter
    Gloom level 60 Control Wizard
    Dusk level 60 Trickster Rogue
    Dawn level 60 Devoted Cleric
    Eclipse level 60 Hunter Ranger
    Wrath level 60 Great Weapon Fighter
    Jinx level 60 Scourge Warlock
  • Options
    todesfaelletodesfaelle Member Posts: 1,370 Arc User
    edited December 2013
    Rangers can spec for both single-target damage or crowd. And they will be able to excel at both. If you want single target damage, go for Aimed Shot. But you'll need to have the mentality of a sniper in order to pull a proper Aimed Shot off against an opponent. Strike when they least expect you to, at places where you will not be discovered and attacked easily, like elevated platforms.

Rangers have most of what TR's has, but the one thing it can never have is a TR's overall survivability. We survive the longest out of the 3 current squishy classes (CW, HR, TR), and we do so via the use of Stealth, ITC, Smoke Bomb, and our many other utility skills that allow us to escape and engage enemies to increase our chances for victory. But TR's will never get the flexibility of an HR.

If you want to be able to spec for both single and crowd damage, HR's for you. If you want to kill people and get out of it alive most of the time, the TR's for you.
  • Options
    jeffcostaricajeffcostarica Member Posts: 15 Arc User
    edited December 2013
    I have played with both for a while. I understand the mechanics and playstyle of TR. And I really like to feel the adrenalin of dodging and dealing dmgs at the same time.

The issue is that I do not want to have a lvl 60 char and delete it cuz it is not balanced or good enough comparing with other classes: GWF and HR...

And the question is.... WHY TO PLAY TRICKSTER ROGUE instead of other class?
  • Options
    proof8proof8 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users, Neverwinter Knight of the Feywild Users Posts: 2 Arc User
    edited December 2013
    The Trickster Rogue is completely capable of standing face-to-face (in a stealthy way) to any of the other classes. You just have to think like a ninja. Don't just rush into a group of people like a GWF or GF and expect to not get killed. Stand on the outskirts of the battle while using IS/CoS/DS, dart in using stealth and catch someone with a duelist's flurry and a lashing blade, use a shadow strike and back out again while having a full stealth bar. You spent maybe 2-3 seconds out of stealth in that fight and you (most likely) got a kill and will be able to perform it again right away.

Or in my case with my TR; stay in stealth the whole time using shadow strike and BaS. Come out of stealth only with ITC on, and be able to take on 2+ enemies and defeat them both. And even if I'm caught out of stealth, whoop-de-doo. I have enough health/regen/deflect to take the damage, and I also have enough damage to take GF/GWFs out no problem.

You just have to make sure you prepare your rogue with the correct feats/encounters that can successfully tackle the widest range of enemies.
  • Options
    b1mbleb1mble Member Posts: 10 Arc User
    edited December 2013
    My Trickster Rogue (TR) is now level 38. I have a Hunter Ranger (HR) at level 25.

While the HR offers me some fun and I do enjoy playing on this character, from time to time, there is nothing that beats the sheer exhilaration and frenzied battles I have on my TR.

I decided to get a Cleric companion, at earlier levels, to top up on my health and save me on my pots and then a dog, giving +25 Armor Penetration bonus. I use the Cleric when I'm carving up the world, doing quests. When I jump into dungeons and skirmishes, I pull out my dog. Using my dog does, unfortunately, mean I'm having to rely much more on the use of my own pots but they're relatively cheap and I'm making an amount of silver/gold that I can sustain this with ease.

For me, HR is all about range and the up-close melee side of it, does not even compare to TR. However, for me, it is still a really nice addition to the HR class which differentiates it from many other MMO's that use this class in their roster. My HR has no points spent in the melee tree so I cannot comment on this side of things with any knowledge. It just seems to me that having melee helps me get out of some tight and cramped brawls, from time to time but, that's just my opinion there...

I'm currently specced as Whisperknife, on my TR. I can throw out some fairly powerful ranged dagger attacks and debuffs. I often see myself coming top in damage, even compared next to HR's and other DPS-style classes. However, I also put this largely down to me having a Gear Score of 4,545, having pumped a lot of energy into upgrading my gear. Before this gear upgrade, I was hitting pretty softly and ranking low on that same chart.

Naturally, it's not all about the damage score, although I am sure there are those players out there who look at this religiously and it boosts their ego. I think it important as it is the primary function of my class: to hit a single target with maximum damage and quickly and efficiently take it down, easing the burden on the rest of my group.

Apart from all that - and in my own opinion - I have had such a blast, so far, on my TR. Just being able to whizz about the battlefield, carving up the enemy, is incredible fun. Due to the nature of the class - DPS, front-line attacker - the fights are swift, intense affairs and being able to successfully dodge an incoming attack is just as satisfying as being able to pull of a big crit that fells your enemy.

OP, maybe you should sink a few more hours into your TR and that will enable you to get a better overview of what is your favourite. No matter what, I wish you the best of luck. Take care.
    Let him who desires peace, prepare for war.
  • Options
    kozi001kozi001 Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 876 Arc User
    edited December 2013
    Hard to compare the two classes. Must be played differently.

Btw HRs seems very squishy for me in pvp.
    Sometimes I chose him first over cws.

If he can't catch with his roots than it can be sneaked and killed.