test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

If this is a hunter, where are his traps?

pankolinopankolino Member Posts: 11 Arc User
edited December 2013 in The Wilds
I noticed that:
1. Armor looks like those of ninja's. Where is the fur, green items and such? ...all I see is leather like those of TR.
2. if this is HUNTER-RANGER where are his traps?? Never seen hunter, and ranger without at least one trap.

Devs should name this one Ninja and give him shurikens instead of bow, or just Archer. :)
Post edited by pankolino on

Comments

• Options
    mutantdemocracymutantdemocracy Member Posts: 497 Arc User
    edited December 2013
    1. Archers did wear leather, since it was lightweight, durable, and didn't make much of a sound through movement. Most of the armor you get while leveling up fits this perfectly. It's the level 60 T1 items that are kinda of... odd. The T2 items are mostly fine, although the hats throw me off.

2. Trap: Noun, "a device or enclosure designed to catch and retain animals, typically by allowing entry but not exit or by catching hold of a part of the body."

Hindering Shot/Hindering Strike, Constricting Arrow, and Binding Arrow.
  • Options
    adernathadernath Member, Neverwinter Knight of the Feywild Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited December 2013
    If you want, thorn ward is some sort of trap ability.

I dont think he looks like a ninja. At least i am glad that my elven ranger does not have some primitive fur clothes like a barbarian.
    Suggestions to improve NW:
    - Dualspec
    - Better rewarding foundry and foundry pvp maps
    - Custom PvP leagues with leaderboards instead of the current 'matchmaking'.
    - Armory
    - make jumping cost stamina (to reduce hopping in pvp)
  • Options
    edited December 2013
    Archers wore leather..this is not archer, it is HUNTER RANGER as the name says.

"Hindering Shot/Hindering Strike, Constricting Arrow, and Binding Arrow" > not traps, they are arrows/shots. traps are meant to be layed on ground..Only thorn ward is kind of a trap..

Like i sad, name him Archer, not hunter...hunters wear what they catch.. Archers have fancy clothes :)
  • Options
    shadow5930shadow5930 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 502 Bounty Hunter
    edited December 2013
    Most rangers in D&D wear leather armor. It's for efficency, silence when tracking, etc. Very often the gear they show in game is the gear a ranger would have. Chainmail is bulky, loud so it scares off animals and could potentially catch on the bow string. So they've done exactly what they should have, with a D&D ranger.
  • Options
    harkinharkin Member Posts: 135 Arc User
    edited December 2013
    I have to agree, this isnt a Ranger at all, its a Ninja. Makes no sense to call it "hide" if its just gonna be another set of leather that thhe Rogue can't wear. First Ranger i play in a dndgame that doesn't look like a Ranger at all.
  • Options
    linknigrilinknigri Member Posts: 97 Arc User
    edited December 2013
    Well a good hunter would nof feel protected in fur, a good hunter would catch an animal that can provide leather and make a good armor from it. I dont think it look like a ninja, maybe a bandit with some hats, witch is terrible, but anyway, the rest of the armor looks nice. But I do agree with the traps, tornward does not exactly feel like one... its more like an use of his nature spells to me.
  • Options
    angryspriteangrysprite Member Posts: 4,982 Arc User
    edited December 2013
    This is not a Hunter Ranger and neither is it aControl Wizard, Trickster Rogue, Devoted Cleric, Heavy Weapon Fighter or Guardian Fighter.

No, this is a GAME with AVATARS to represent your chosen race and class with pretty pixels to approximate what your creative imagination can fill-out in your immersive minds.

Really, threads like this make me laugh.

As for costumes, here's my beef with the HR: too much green. Needs more browns and blacks for good camouflage. Needs a white outfit for Icespire region and a good gray/red-ish outfit for Hotenow and so on and so forth. I mean, really? It's that important to you, OP? LOL

As soon as I get my final gear on all my characters I change their dyes so they look different from all the Neverwinter Adventurer clones anyway. I suggest you consider the same.

-winks-
  • Options
    edited December 2013
    Leather do a squeek sound when you move, so all fantasy games are wrong about that..only clothes makes no sound. Did any of you ever wore leather? Leather pants maybe? If you did, you would know what sound is making. But, that is not the main point...the main point is that he lacks traps to justify his name..for all I care, he could go naked :)
  • Options
    burkaancburkaanc Member Posts: 2,186 Arc User
    edited December 2013
    hunters dont use traps, poachers do
    Paladin Master Race
  • Options
    tybrus8tybrus8 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users Posts: 114 Bounty Hunter
    edited December 2013
    But but but,
    Drizzt is in fact a Ranger ( or do they have him labeld skirmisher?) in pencil n paper D&D and he does in fact wear a chain mail shirt and is very quiet while moving.

Just saying.
  • Options
    tybrus8tybrus8 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users Posts: 114 Bounty Hunter
    edited December 2013
    Actually in the 4th edition they have him as fighter 10 barb 1 ranger 5....soo guess he is more fighter then ranger although in the books he is known as ranger.
  • Options
    silvergryphsilvergryph Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 740 Arc User
    edited December 2013
    tybrus8 wrote: »
    But but but,
    Drizzt is in fact a Ranger ( or do they have him labeld skirmisher?) in pencil n paper D&D and he does in fact wear a chain mail shirt and is very quiet while moving.

Just saying.
    I believe he wears elven chain, which is an item in D&D that can be worn without penalty by leather wearing classes. And in some editions even wizards with varying degrees of penalty depending on the edition.
  • Options
    shadow5930shadow5930 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 502 Bounty Hunter
    edited December 2013
    Elven chain is magic'd to be silent too. :)

Cross-class means you don't have the armor limits of your class. Fighter means he can wear chain without penalty. He's also not your typical 'woods' ranger. An underdark ranger would wear the dark items to blend in.

As for traps - just because it's a magically created trap, does not make it less of a trap. :)
  • Options
    kalspirokalspiro Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Knight of the Feywild Users Posts: 1 Arc User
    edited December 2013
    pankolino wrote: »
    I noticed that:
    1. Armor looks like those of ninja's. Where is the fur, green items and such? ...all I see is leather like those of TR.
    2. if this is HUNTER-RANGER where are his traps?? Never seen hunter, and ranger without at least one trap.

Devs should name this one Ninja and give him shurikens instead of bow, or just Archer. :)

1) The armor is leather because Ranger have always worn leather in DnD. The only notable exception being Drizzt, who where's Mithril chain, which is as light as leather, and he's a Ranger/Fighter so it fits anyway. Fur is not a prerequisite, and green is what dye packs are for.

2) Traps have never been a notable aspect of Rangers in DnD. Tracking, affinity with animals, minor natural magic and dual wielding/archery are the classic conditions of being a Ranger in DnD. Also having good stealth.

Rangers are a somewhat fair middle ground between fighters, rogues and druids.

Perhaps know something about the subject matter before running your mouth about such things?
  • Options
    knightfalzknightfalz Member Posts: 1,261 Arc User
    edited December 2013
    Trappers use traps. Hunters hunt. Though a hunter may also use traps, and a trapper may hunt, these are two different things that aren't necessarily linked together.
  • Options
    obsidiancran3obsidiancran3 Member Posts: 1,823 Arc User
    edited December 2013
    tybrus8 wrote: »
    Actually in the 4th edition they have him as fighter 10 barb 1 ranger 5....soo guess he is more fighter then ranger although in the books he is known as ranger.

Not in 4E, he's pure Ranger in 4E (I forget his Paragon Path and Epic Destiny). 4E has no multiclassing like prior editions (and likely future ones).

Also traps are used sometimes by hunters, usually for small game and pest animals, large game is about bows etc. Now if you want to spend your time running around placing traps for small game... ah just imagine it. Actually that's pretty much the 4E thing; class mechanics for killing monsters, RP for other stuff with you making the details up.
    Obsidian Moonlight - Paladin
    Obsidian Oath - Warlock
    A whole lot of other Obsidian toons as well.
  • Options
    ivoradev4ivoradev4 Member Posts: 1 Arc User
    edited December 2013
    Lol what a useless thread ...

1.Who told you that hunters/rangers did use raw fur for clothes? Fur goes through different processes before it is used for clothes. And no, I do not talk of today, I talk of the past. You can see that even on , let's say, native Americans' clothes. And good processed leather does not squeak ... Good processed leather is soft and fits great and has good durability.

2. Correct me if I'm wrong, but ranger should mean, they live in the forest/take care for the forest, right? So why the hell they should wear raw fur again too? I see no point of a hunter/archer/ranger to wear fur ... except if we play an Ice Age HR where they did not process fur at all ...

3. The look of the char represents the vision of it's creator(s). That means, that's the way they feel it ... We can like it, or not ...

4. Green ranger? In a forest? - not really invisible ... not to mention the color changes many people do ... some are pretty good for the Love Parade in Berlin ....

Anyway ... you can still make changes to the look of a char, though that ain't the most important thing ingame for most people :)
  • Options
    knightfalzknightfalz Member Posts: 1,261 Arc User
    edited December 2013
    ivoradev4 wrote: »
    Anyway ... you can still make changes to the look of a char, though that ain't the most important thing ingame for most people :)

Judging by the amount of complaint threads regarding the cost of changing the look of equipment it is something of interest to a fair number of people. Sadly it doesn't matter much for Elven HRs, as every outfit I've seen for mine is a cliptastic display of glitch, so I don't think there will be much of a chance to make him look decent.