test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

Most annoying TAB feature of any class

warzogwarzog Member Posts: 128 Bounty Hunter
edited December 2013 in The Wilds
I'm not complaining about the switching between ranged and melee modes, on the whole, it's not so bad.

What I don't like is the fact that during combat, you go to hit the Q key, and even if you hit the Q key, and accidentally hit the TAB key, the modes get switched.
If you're in melee mode at least you can still do some damaged when you switch to ranged mode, not much, comparison wise, but you still do some damage.
If you're in ranged mode, and hit TAB, by accident, you're now in melee mode, and can't hit anything, because there's nothing near enough to hit. But, you're still within range of their damage.

And don't tell me to be more careful, I seem to always hit the TAB and CAPS LOCK keys in battle, no matter how careful I am.

With the other classes, hitting TAB by accident won't get you killed, like it can with the HR.
The CW will use whatever spell is placed there.
The GF will mark it's target.
The TR will go into stealth mode (actually increasing damage.)
The GWF becomes Unstoppable.
The DC allows you to Channel Divinity to do damage or to heal.

While the HR is fun to play, having a class that so drastically switches modes, instead of getting a boon as the other classes do, doesn't make that much sense, to me.
Go for the eyes, Boo! GO FOR THE EYES!!!
(Where's a Miniature Giant Space Hamster when you need one?)
Post edited by warzog on

Comments

• Options
    mrspumamrspuma Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited December 2013
    You know you can re-bind the "tab" ability to another key, right?

I have mine bound to V and use my thumb to hit it (spacebar, C, V, B all tend to be used by my thumb when possible) - I have very short fingers + arthritis so moving my pinky up and down to try to hit 3 different keys (tab/caps lock/shift) = having to actually lift my hand/move my wrist angle constantly to reach them. Which isn't good. heh.
  • Options
    fledmagicianfledmagician Member Posts: 45 Arc User
    edited December 2013
    don't press buttons by accident.
  • Options
    reagenlionel1reagenlionel1 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited December 2013
    don't press buttons by accident.

Right here.
  • Options
    warzogwarzog Member Posts: 128 Bounty Hunter
    edited December 2013
    mrspuma wrote: »
    You know you can re-bind the "tab" ability to another key, right?

I have mine bound to V and use my thumb to hit it (spacebar, C, V, B all tend to be used by my thumb when possible) - I have very short fingers + arthritis so moving my pinky up and down to try to hit 3 different keys (tab/caps lock/shift) = having to actually lift my hand/move my wrist angle constantly to reach them. Which isn't good. heh.

I didn't even think about key remapping, as I tried it once with poor results.
    (Tried setting the game up to work as other games, without the goofy mouse movement.)

And, I'm sort of in the same situation, except that besides the arthritis, I have rather long large fingers that tend to hit everything in their way. :P
    Go for the eyes, Boo! GO FOR THE EYES!!!
    (Where's a Miniature Giant Space Hamster when you need one?)
  • Options
    kalspirokalspiro Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Knight of the Feywild Users Posts: 1 Arc User
    edited December 2013
    Sorry, but this doesn't make sense. There is no reason you should be hitting tab by accident. Don't flail your fingers around while playing. When you want to hit Q your ring finger should move straight up from A to Q, Tab need not apply. If you happen to be strafing left at the time, which isn't super likely if you're doing ranged attacks, since you can't move while attacking, move your middle finger left from W one key. Basically, if you know how to type, you should have no problem not hitting the Tab key.
  • Options
    knightfalzknightfalz Member Posts: 1,261 Arc User
    edited December 2013
    warzog wrote: »
    If you're in ranged mode, and hit TAB, by accident, you're now in melee mode, and can't hit anything, because there's nothing near enough to hit. But, you're still within range of their damage.

Hit tab again and then you'll be back in ranged mode.

The ability to switch between two sets of powers on the fly is a class defining feature and TAB is pretty much the only place it can go, unless the HR is expected to have that ability as an At Will choice, sacrificing a damage power for the ability to switch modes.

What I do, to free myself from the keyboard a bit, is use a gaming mouse. Unlike most of them, this one has just enough buttons for this game, making many of them large enough to hit easily. The encounters and tab ability all fit on four large buttons near the thumb differently shaped so they can be used by feel. Daily powers are easily reached with buttons accessed by the index finger, as well as the first potion slot. It makes the game pretty easy for me to play even though my fingers are pretty long as well.

These button assignments are custom, but that's easy to do with the mouse software available on their site. If you're interested in taking a look at it to see if it might help you out, it's the Logitech G700s.
  • Options
    edited December 2013
    kalspiro wrote: »
    Basically, if you know how to type, you should have no problem not hitting the Tab key.

When I'm typing I'm usually not being attacked by a large number of enemies trying to slay me. If I was, I expect that my accuracy might drop just a tad. Not everyone constantly moves their fingers with exact precision in all circumstances. If one's fingers are particularly long or wide it can be even more difficult, depending on the keyboard.
  • Options
    kalspirokalspiro Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Knight of the Feywild Users Posts: 1 Arc User
    edited December 2013
    knightfalz wrote: »
    When I'm typing I'm usually not being attacked by a large number of enemies trying to slay me. If I was, I expect that my accuracy might drop just a tad. Not everyone constantly moves their fingers with exact precision in all circumstances. If one's fingers are particularly long or wide it can be even more difficult, depending on the keyboard.

It's called muscle memory. There is just no reason for someone's fingers to be doing the movements they are required to go through in order for to be making those mistakes. Accuracy and stress have nothing to do with it.
  • Options
    shadow5930shadow5930 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 502 Bounty Hunter
    edited December 2013
    Not everyone has the same ability to rapidly aquire muscle memory either. There are plenty of older generation players who may have issues with control and didn't grow up in a video game world to have learned how to adapt young.

That said, if the tab is causing the issue, then I highly recommend doing the reassignment of keys. I did it with the artifact to put it on `. :)
  • Options
    edited December 2013
    kalspiro wrote: »
    It's called muscle memory. There is just no reason for someone's fingers to be doing the movements they are required to go through in order for to be making those mistakes. Accuracy and stress have nothing to do with it.

Your muscles can remember all they want, but it won't change the length or width of your fingers versus the buttons you have to press. It also won't counter the limitations that arthritis places on your finger movements. As such, the muscle memory thing doesn't have anything to do with the difficulties this person is facing.
  • Options
    demonicangel318demonicangel318 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 29 Arc User
    edited December 2013
    Perhaps you could try fiddling with things and using a controller? I know other people have managed to get one to work with the game (you can get a Logitech USB one for like $15, or use and Xbox or PS3 controller as well). They're easier on the hands than jumping around the keyboard and it's a little more difficult to screw up and hit something you didn't mean to. I'm not sure how other people have it mapped, but from what I've looked at it just looks like it'll be a little awkward because you can't fit everything there. Would be great if they implemented gamepad support.
    Felix Greentrack -- Halfling HR