test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

Surviving PVP

shumanfooshumanfoo Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 18 Arc User
edited December 2013 in The Temple
What is important to focus on in PVP for survivability? Depending on the match, I've been ripped to pieces or able to survive. The times I get ripped up it's stuns/dazes/holds not letting me do anything. Most of my gear is slanted toward PVE, but I want to buff up my ability to PVP. I generally run with HW, AS, FF for my encounters.

What stats and abilities do you use?
Post edited by shumanfoo on

Comments

• Options
    hidahayabusahidahayabusa Member Posts: 634 Bounty Hunter
    edited December 2013
    Defense, Regeneration, Deflect is the best way to go. However since stuns are a much bigger enemy than incoming damage, I went for Defense, Regeneration, max Wisdom (Control Resist) and HP. It works fine for me, but maxing Dexterity was good, especially if you go Anointed Champion.

The trick is to find the blue gear that is much better than the purple sets for DC.
    * Notorious Dwarven Bear Cavalry Leader *
  • Options
    morsitansmorsitans Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 1,284 Bounty Hunter
    edited December 2013
    Yep, any "of youth" level 60 blues are good for PvP (they have regen).

It seems odd to be stacking regen when you're a healer, but since DCs are focus-fired so frequently, and usually CC/dazed to the point of uselessness, having background healticks that don't require you to cast anything is a real bonus.
  • Options
    edited December 2013
    morsitans wrote: »
    Yep, any "of youth" level 60 blues are good for PvP (they have regen).

And big chunks of Defense and Recovery, which also rocks in PvP (faster CD and better survivability). Every class that is able to tank in PvP does so, because the trick is not in damage, but surviving long enough to do your tricks.

DC, since you can't kill anyone that is half decent, needs to master many fields of PvP in order to be able to survive the onslaught. Apart from gearing and build (choose what suits you), you need to understand positioning and Stamina management (i.e. against a CW you pretty much need to slide Icy Knives etc).

Oh, and don't go alone against 4-5 people. Keep it practical and you'll be able to survive PvP. If you do, then you'll never change DC in your games.
  • Options
    gokkensgokkens Member Posts: 104 Bounty Hunter
    edited December 2013
    Yea what hida said

Anoited champion is also much better in pvp than Divine oracle surviability wise

I would use these encoutners , Astral shield,break their spirit and exaltation

if divine oracle: Astral shield, Break their spirit and forgemasters flame

Break their spirit is one of the best abilities you get in pvp! it reduces their damage with 30-40% or something like that combined with Astral shield I have been hit like 4000 from a lashing blade.

Also when you reach around 2000-2100 defense get 1500 deflect use silvery enchants in 66% of your defense sockets

you can reach pretty decent pvp stats if even while wearing purple pve items, get 2 ancient priets ring they have deflect, defense and a defense socket put azure and silvery in each.

they are not that expensive

get ancient brawlers necklace aswell
  • Options
    holsacholsac Member Posts: 104 Arc User
    edited December 2013
    Some other tips -

Hang as far back from the cap points as possible while your team mates cap/defend the point. Getting the opposition to fight off the caps usually gives your team the advantage to winning.

Keep moving. Standing still in a single spot for long usually = quick trip to GY. Cast, move, cast.

Slide/dodge when ever you think some one is near you and getting ready to attack. If you can get them to miss that opening attack your odds of living have increased significantly.

While these tips will help, dedicated PvPers also know them and are prepared for them.
  • Options
    immahealyounowimmahealyounow Member Posts: 57
    edited December 2013
    As someone who spends virtually all her time in PVP, I understand how difficult some situations can be to survive.

By far, your biggest survivability tool is your dodge. While that's a "no-duh, Blessing" type of statement, it's important that it is used properly. While on the point with enemies attacking you, do the following:

-When initially fighting someone, memorize their slotted encounter powers and rotation. This is especially important when going up against CWs, as you can use this information to dodge an entangle.
    -Know the cooldowns of commonly used PVP powers. This is particularly important when dealing with GFs and GWFs who are chasing you around the point. In most cases, you won't want to burn dodges when enemies are using at-wills.
    -Be on the lookout for enemy HRs. If you see one, poke him with a brand of the sun or sacred flame. You DO NOT want to be aim shotted.
    -If you don't think you can keep track of everything going on at a point, it's generally best to dodge as someone comes in range in an encounter. Most players blow their cooldowns early, so even a random early dodge spam can prevent you from being CC'd or taking a lot of damage.
    -When fighting rogues, you must be constantly watching for the second attack in the duelist's flurry animation. You'll need to move out of range as SOON As you see this.
    -If you don't think you'll be CC'd out of AS while it's up, try to save at least enough stamina for one dodge during the 4-5 second window that your AS will be down.
    -Healing Step in the righteous tree is a godsend in PVP. Don't queue without it. The Sharandar dodge boon also helps considerably. One artifact as of this writing has a stamina regen stat which when maxed provides 5% bonus stamina recovery.

You should shoot for minimums in the following defensive stats if you want to live a bit longer:
    -1000 Regeneration
    -2000 Defense (Prefer 2500)
    -1500 Deflection (Prefer 2000)
    -25k HP (Prefer closer to 30k)
    -Control resistance (usually obtained through race selection - halfling being the obvious choice).

Both Foresight (for DO) and Anointed Armor (for AO) are REQUIRED class features for PVP in my opinion. If you run foresight, it should be feated to at least 4/5.

Exaltation is an incredible skill if you understand the attack animations of all classes. For example, if a CW has you rooted with icy rays and is about to knife you, popping divine exalt will effectively make him waste a daily.
    * Blessing - 60 DC * * Blessa - 60 GWF * * Blessed - 60 TR * * Bless - 60 GF * * Blessings - 50 CW * * BlessedArr0w - 30 HR *

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    glowingemberglowingember Member Posts: 181 Arc User
    edited December 2013
    I find that no matter how tanky you get as a cleric, its always the cc that ends up killing you. I am strong enough with my gear atm to be able to take on alsmot anyone 1 on 1, unless they are grossly geared out. The last time someone killed me really fast i found out it was a tr with 5 tenebrations that dealt so much at will damage with his thrown daggers that i would die before sunburst got through half its animation. crazy stuff.

I have no idea how to deal with the cc issue other than to increase my defences even more, more hp, more deflection, more regen more defense. i might even unslot my miracle healer outfit for regen blues, which would suck cuz then i would have a pve set and a pvp set i would need to enchant, or burn a lot of gold swapping key enchants back and forth.
  • Options
    vorphiedvorphied Member Posts: 1,870 Arc User
    edited December 2013
    I find that no matter how tanky you get as a cleric, its always the cc that ends up killing you. I am strong enough with my gear atm to be able to take on alsmot anyone 1 on 1, unless they are grossly geared out. The last time someone killed me really fast i found out it was a tr with 5 tenebrations that dealt so much at will damage with his thrown daggers that i would die before sunburst got through half its animation. crazy stuff.

I have no idea how to deal with the cc issue other than to increase my defences even more, more hp, more deflection, more regen more defense. i might even unslot my miracle healer outfit for regen blues, which would suck cuz then i would have a pve set and a pvp set i would need to enchant, or burn a lot of gold swapping key enchants back and forth.

With the advent of Artifacts and a round of boons from Dread Ring (+250 regen ftw), I'm not really inclined to go throwing on the blues. While my previous setup was more of a hybrid, I managed quite well with modest deflection and low regeneration while using Miracle Healer, and now with Anointed Champion and Artifacts, I can have decent deflection and decent regeneration while benefiting from my favorite set bonus.

But yes, CC is of course our greatest weakness. As Blessing said, there are times when you're best off dodging preemptively because you anticipate incoming CC. Most players reflexively attempt CC as soon as they're within range of their targets, so you can often bait attempts by dodging towards enemies. For Anointed Champions, Exaltation can also be either a preemptive counter to the damage that ensues with incoming CC or something you use immediately upon recovering from a CC chain to allow time for you to heal back up or reposition.
    Sacrilege - Warlock
    Contagion - Cleric
    Testament - Wizard
    Pestilence - Ranger
    Dominion - Paladin

NIGHTSWATCH

• Options
    spani4rdspani4rd Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 297 Bounty Hunter
    edited December 2013
    I PVP with my miracle healer set and my normal PVE gear, just swap in two ancient priest's rings of burning light. I end up with plenty of defense about 500 deflect and like no regen, and about 25.5k HP. So it's not like my defensive stats are outstanding.
    With that said I can do pretty decent in pvp, but it has a lot to do with my team. I feel like us clerics are the most dependant on our teams in pvp. I guess this is primarily because we get focused so much we have to really buff our defensive stats and the majority of our skills are healing/DR oriented.
    PUG's are just whatever, hit or miss, I can get a decent pug where we can own the other team or make it competative or sometimes it's just usless. Even with really good defensive stats you'll die if they chain CC you and nuke you down, which happens a lot anyways but if your teams decent they can usually take them down while they're all focusing you, and if it happens fast enuogh then I can survive. If I pvp with a premade it's usually pretty easy to win unless the other guys are really well geared or all pvp specced (most all my mates run PVE and just do pvp for fun/dailys) Anointed Champion is a lot better for PVP. I'm still using my Devoted set up and it's fine, plenty viable. So, as I said, with a decent team it changes a lot for us clerics. Still don't expect to kill a lot of people i tend to end up with score like 2-2-30 etc. I'd say PVP'ing as a cleric isn't for anybody, it's primarily support if you want to maximize the effect.
    With artifacts and more boons it should be even easier to balance stats and get more defensive stats without having to completely change gear, use different enchantments, etc
  • Options
    izatarizatar Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 1,161 Arc User
    edited December 2013
    I disagree with some of the sentiment in this thread.
    First and foremost, you should ALWAYS fight on a red platform, and off a solid blue one (so they fight off too!). Never ever stand back when the platform is red, cleric belongs in the center of battle. [Actually, every class must contest platforms that are solid red!]
    Next, while cleric can be 'support', more often I am doing solo platform contesting. Contesting red platforms is the main job!

Next, the idea of using blue gear seems misguided. The T2 gear has a higher armor class!

Also, I personally think regeneration is overrated. You are a healer so can heal without regeneration, and your main weakness is being burst down. Regeneration doesn't work against burst. The only way to handle burst damage (most notably rogue lashing blade) is to have sufficiently high hit points and high defense and deflection.

I do agree with comments that discuss dodge. Dodge is much more powerful (on all classes) than I think many people understand. You do not need to dodge just as they are casting their spell, you can dodge a little bit before. Dodge is implemented as a sort of hack in this game: it is not just that your toon moves out of range, but you also get a buff that makes you immune for a while. So instead of thinking of dodge as a movement, think of it as an immunity shield.
  • Options
    masterjewstarmasterjewstar Member Posts: 563
    edited December 2013
    Definitely listen to blessing she's a beast of a cleric I've actually fought her several times and a few of those times with almost an entire team and she didn't die once.
  • Options
    morsitansmorsitans Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 1,284 Bounty Hunter
    edited December 2013
    izatar wrote: »
    Next, the idea of using blue gear seems misguided. The T2 gear has a higher armor class!

Also, I personally think regeneration is overrated. You are a healer so can heal without regeneration, and your main weakness is being burst down. Regeneration doesn't work against burst. The only way to handle burst damage (most notably rogue lashing blade) is to have sufficiently high hit points and high defense and deflection.

Well, a healer with a 40% self-heal debuff and essentially zero CC resistance.

I very rarely find that I get instagibbed, even in regen blues, because what with astral shield and foresight (and sometimes hallowed ground)...a little higher armour class isn't gonna make a big difference.

What usually kills clerics is being CC'd to death, because when you're being force choked you can't cast astral shield or HG, and thus can't benefit from foresight either. Mostly you sit there and hope you don't die before the spell expires.

...and this is where regen is beautiful. It's a constant tick-heal that requires zero user input (so works merrily when we're hovering above the ground choking), and it ramps up the closer to death we get. Combine that with holy resolve and/or soulforged if you have the money, and you've got a spectacular way of surviving an awful lot more CC-trains.
  • Options
    edited December 2013
    Epic sets for DC are so ridiculously weak, that Blue gear is just better as far as gathering Defense stats is concerned. You can achieve similar results if you go full Miracle, but then you need rank 10s and perfects in order to get similar numbers with the ones provided by blue Regen/Def gear.

Regeneration rocks in PvP. Every class that can use it, does and should.
  • Options
    spani4rdspani4rd Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 297 Bounty Hunter
    edited December 2013
    izatar wrote: »
    I disagree with some of the sentiment in this thread.
    First and foremost, you should ALWAYS fight on a red platform, and off a solid blue one (so they fight off too!). Never ever stand back when the platform is red, cleric belongs in the center of battle. [Actually, every class must contest platforms that are solid red!]
    Next, while cleric can be 'support', more often I am doing solo platform contesting. Contesting red platforms is the main job!

Agreed. In my experience though, supporting in pvp and contesting/holding cap points feel like the same set up to me. I seem to be the most useful to my team when I'm using HW/AS/SB and HG as my primary daily. That also seems to be what allows me to have the most survivability for contesting or holding cap points. I've tried other things but the trade off just doesn't seem worth it. FF just doesn't really do that much dmg, the slow can be nice but isn't very sustained and it's a big DP drain for getting any healing out of it. Break the spirit can be good in a 1v1 or mayb 1v2 kind of holding situation other than that it's too underpowered and I don't have enough heals to keep myself up. Other than that using something like daunting light or DG can be nice and do some dmg or boost the team but then I can't keep myself alive if I get focused. The only other spell I can really think of that could provide value are chains and again they're use is limited to holding an enemy in palce for a second or two in the hopes your team can kill him. Lots of good situational spells that lack global usefullnes, end up not having enough room to slot them
  • Options
    halrloprillalarhalrloprillalar Member Posts: 68 Arc User
    edited December 2013
    Pro-tip: find a CW or GF friend that more or less doesn't suck, toss em a few heals when they need it. They will then guard you like a jealous husband (at least I do to any cleric that actually heals me in pvp). Granted, if a couple GWFs really really want you dead... you'll be dead :(