test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Can i change my race?

metaphoricrometaphoricro Member Posts: 15 Arc User
edited December 2013 in The Militia Barracks
Hi,i`m level 40 and my current race is human,i want to change my race to dwarf or half-orc,how can i do that?
Post edited by metaphoricro on

Comments

• alpha1805alpha1805 Member Posts: 2 Arc User
    edited December 2013
    Sadly, no, you cannot.
    You can reroll however, hitting 40 does not take that long.
  • mconosrepmconosrep Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited December 2013
    Hi,i`m level 40 and my current race is human,i want to change my race to dwarf or half-orc,how can i do that?

Is there any particular reason you want to change?

Because humans make very good balanced GF and GWF, while GWF and Half-Orc are the more tanky and DPS variations, although they lose DPS and defense respectively compared to humans.
  • metaphoricrometaphoricro Member Posts: 15 Arc User
    edited December 2013
    I just heared that dwarfs and half-orcs are better for gwf`s
  • ikeepit3hunnaikeepit3hunna Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited December 2013
    well halfing is the best for everything 0 doubt. but since cryptic is so good at balancing races you would think they would have a race change of some kind, for like zen or something because everyone would rather reroll and race change then make a new 60.
    U R 2 E Z- SENT IV GWF undefeated 16k GS
    FaceRoller- regen recovery TR (put on the shelf for now) 14k GS
    Supreme CHAOS - IV GF (put on the shelf for now) 16k GS
    White Khalifa- tene/hp/regen CW (retired) 11k GS (tene)
    Death From Above- TANK ranger 16kGS
    (all halfling everything)

Proud rank 6 of: <Enemy Team>

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    edited December 2013
    I just heared that dwarfs and half-orcs are better for gwf`s

Dwarfs and Half-Orcs are better if you want to specialize in either tanky or DPS GWF respectively. Human is a more 'balanced' approach.

Halflings are almost certainly the best for a PvP build though with their extra deflect chance. It has to be said that if I made another GWF (I have 4 already at cap - 3 Humans and a Teifling) I would probably go Halfling.
  • chambermancerchambermancer Member Posts: 63 Arc User
    edited December 2013
    I don't necessarily agree that halflings are the best. I'd go human for a sent spec GWF. They get 3% extra defense, and that meshes very well with sent feats:

Steely Defense: grants 20% of defense back as power
    Armor Specialization: increases effectiveness of defense 15%
    Sentinel's Aegis: increases effectiveness of defense 20%

Master at Arms: grants 3% deflect for each stack of weapon master's strike active.

Plus with the campaigns you can get +250 defense (boosting the above) and deflect. Also, with the human extra three feats, you can buy constitution focus which gives 15% increase in con effectiveness, which grants survivability and offense now that is provides ignore mitigation. Does 3% deflect trump all that? I mean I haven't crunched numbers but I can't see how that could possible be better than all the above. If you go destroyer spec that deflect may be better, but I'm still skeptical.

As for the 10% resistance to CC, I tried running with the 30% resistance from the steel grace tactic and noticed no difference. I was hoping it would let me get up from the stupid prone lock of GF, etc, but it doesn't, so what's the point? Maybe if you run a perfect elven battle enchant for the +200% CC resist you may have something, but if you have 200%, then that 10% is a pittance anyway. So, I can't see any reason not to go human.
    edited December 2013
    I don't necessarily agree that halflings are the best. I'd go human for a sent spec GWF. They get 3% extra defense, and that meshes very well with sent feats:

Steely Defense: grants 20% of defense back as power
    Armor Specialization: increases effectiveness of defense 15%
    Sentinel's Aegis: increases effectiveness of defense 20%

Master at Arms: grants 3% deflect for each stack of weapon master's strike active.

Plus with the campaigns you can get +250 defense (boosting the above) and deflect. Also, with the human extra three feats, you can buy constitution focus which gives 15% increase in con effectiveness, which grants survivability and offense now that is provides ignore mitigation. Does 3% deflect trump all that? I mean I haven't crunched numbers but I can't see how that could possible be better than all the above. If you go destroyer spec that deflect may be better, but I'm still skeptical.

As for the 10% resistance to CC, I tried running with the 30% resistance from the steel grace tactic and noticed no difference. I was hoping it would let me get up from the stupid prone lock of GF, etc, but it doesn't, so what's the point? Maybe if you run a perfect elven battle enchant for the +200% CC resist you may have something, but if you have 200%, then that 10% is a pittance anyway. So, I can't see any reason not to go human.

I think it is simply that defense rating has a soft cap around 3000ish, so the 3% additional defense (rating) doesn't correspond to 3% additional DR - in fact it comes to much, much less. However, the after which it suffers diminishing results whereas the +3% deflect from a Halfling is additive. This and the fact that Halflings get +2DEX and +2CON makes them a very tanky strong choice, as Humans have to pick one attribute for their +2 choice.

Unless you are a pro PvP (when the small size of a Halfling could also be useful as it is slightly for an opponent to target) , I doubt the difference matters though which is why I tend to go with Humans.....
    edited December 2013
    mconosrep wrote: »
    I think it is simply that defense rating has a soft cap around 3000ish, so the 3% additional defense (rating) doesn't correspond to 3% additional DR - in fact it comes to much, much less. However, the after which it suffers diminishing results whereas the +3% deflect from a Halfling is additive. This and the fact that Halflings get +2DEX and +2CON makes them a very tanky strong choice, as Humans have to pick one attribute for their +2 choice.

Unless you are a pro PvP (when the small size of a Halfling could also be useful as it is slightly for an opponent to target) , I doubt the difference matters though which is why I tend to go with Humans.....

For PVP, though, you need to overstack defense to really be tanky because of defense debuffs such as SoS from other GWFs or you'll lose a ton of mitigation. Plus you still get the feat bonuses from defense even if it goes over soft cap.

My GWF is only at 11.7k GS and has 40.3% deflect with one stack of WMS, I don't buy 43% compared to 40% being that much of an increase in survivability. The halfling bonus seems more directed to those wanting more defense on a class that doesn't have much for defensive gear like a TR, but stacking deflect on a GWF is no problem.

Also for the halfling getting +CON, like I mentioned, the human can buy 3 ranks of constitution focus, probably isn't any meaningful advantage for the halfling there.
    edited December 2013
    My GWF is only at 11.7k GS and has 40.3% deflect with one stack of WMS, I don't buy 43% compared to 40% being that much of an increase in survivability. The halfling bonus seems more directed to those wanting more defense on a class that doesn't have much for defensive gear like a TR, but stacking deflect on a GWF is no problem..

The thing is that the +3% Deflect percentage becomes exponentially more valuable the higher your base deflect percentage, whereas exactly the opposite is true of the +3% defense RATING bonus.

To take perhaps unrealistic but easy examples:

If a Human had 0% deflect then a Halfling would have 3% deflect so would take 98.5% of the physical damage.

However if the Human had 50% deflect the Halfling would have 53% deflect and take 97% of the damage damage.

Not saying Human is bad - in fact I have 3 Human GWFs, and think it is the most balanced race for the class, but in terms of sheer survivability Humans can't match a deflect-specced Halfling as the +2 DEX +2 CON and +3% deflect are amazing good for that spec.
  • ortzhyortzhy Member Posts: 1,103 Bounty Hunter
    edited December 2013
    Any race is good as long as you learn how to build and play your class. Race is not that important! If u pick this game to be an elite pvp player, u;ve picked wrong...
    edited December 2013
    mconosrep wrote: »
    The thing is that the +3% Deflect percentage becomes exponentially more valuable the higher your base deflect percentage, whereas exactly the opposite is true of the +3% defense RATING bonus.

To take perhaps unrealistic but easy examples:

If a Human had 0% deflect then a Halfling would have 3% deflect so would take 98.5% of the physical damage.

However if the Human had 50% deflect the Halfling would have 53% deflect and take 97% of the damage damage.

Not saying Human is bad - in fact I have 3 Human GWFs, and think it is the most balanced race for the class, but in terms of sheer survivability Humans can't match a deflect-specced Halfling as the +2 DEX +2 CON and +3% deflect are amazing good for that spec.

The whole X amount of overall damage thing doesn't work well in PvP because of so much vorpal burst damage, etc. In PvE when you take hundreds of hits that's fine, but PvP you're talking on order of 10 hits. So with 40% deflect you can expect to deflect 4 of those 10, same goes for 43% deflect, still expect to deflect 4 hits. That's what I mean, not much difference. Besides which, most burst hits will still get through since you're under 50% chance so it really helps to have high defense to mitigate that. PvP is all about surviving until you can pop unstoppable and let your regen do it's thing.
    edited December 2013
    The whole X amount of overall damage thing doesn't work well in PvP because of so much vorpal burst damage, etc. In PvE when you take hundreds of hits that's fine, but PvP you're talking on order of 10 hits. So with 40% deflect you can expect to deflect 4 of those 10, same goes for 43% deflect, still expect to deflect 4 hits. That's what I mean, not much difference. Besides which, most burst hits will still get through since you're under 50% chance so it really helps to have high defense to mitigate that. PvP is all about surviving until you can pop unstoppable and let your regen do it's thing.

By the same argument you could say that the +3% defense rating bonus is so small it doesn't matter either. Although defense is less luck based than deflect, on average it will even out.

But I think the key point is that the +3% (+4 actually since Halflings get +2 DEX) gets better the more deflect you have while the defense rating boost suffers severe diminishing returns.
  • thorny911thorny911 Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited December 2013
    Halfling is best for PvP. I won't go into all the specifics i'm sure its been hashed out over and over. Simply put Deflect > Defense when it comes to PvP as Deflect cannot be mitigated.

With all that said when you have top end gear you'll be good with any racial but we are talking min/max here (and pvp).
    edited December 2013
    Well my argument wasn't just 3% deflect vs 3% defense, that debate is obvious. It was that in sent spec that 3% defense returns more from multiple feats in both offense and mitigation than just what 3% defense gives, but the 3% deflect is just 3% deflect. Halflings get bonus dex, but nothing is stopping you from putting the human selectable bonus in dex so there isn't any win for halfling there either. Again, with the campaign boons and such, I think you get better and more balanced returns in sent spec with human, though a lot of the numbers in the feats, etc are somewhat black box so I can't be sure.

But I'd definitely go one or the other, no other race really makes much sense to me. Dwarf doesn't really seem good to me at all, the knockback resist is meh and DoT resist is okay, but it's the burst damage you have to worry about, not DoT damage. The half orc run speed would be okay if you get attacked from range because it would help you close, but the only being up at start of combat is a big limitation and it won't help you at all if you have to get to melee range without being attacked because it won't even proc in that situation. The extra crit damage is nice, I guess but you already get crit severity as GWF and not sure it's worth the three extra feats especially if you get a vorpal, the 5% is a drop in the bucket.

In general, if you intend to min/max to play PvP in this game, you made a poor choice in the larger sense since PvP in Neverwinter is atrocious. Won't knock you for building that way in hopes that they'll put some work into the PvP and make it fun later, though. The CC lock run amok makes me only able to stomach doing the dailies, though I've been gutting out a few more per day so I can get the glory for the PvP artifact, but blah. PvP is bad for that alone, then you have all one combat mode and all two maps to play. I mean I don't think PW even tried. Gauntylgrym is a joke horse race with almost no fighting in it and it seems people realize that because I usually can't get a pop when queued for it anymore.
    edited December 2013
    Well my argument wasn't just 3% deflect vs 3% defense, that debate is obvious. It was that in sent spec that 3% defense returns more from multiple feats in both offense and mitigation than just what 3% defense gives, but the 3% deflect is just 3% deflect. Halflings get bonus dex, but nothing is stopping you from putting the human selectable bonus in dex so there isn't any win for halfling there either. .

Don't forget that in addition to +2 DEX (which a human can obviously take) the Halfling also get +2 CON also.

In any case there are a lot of PROs and CONs for both races and the 'optimal' choice, if any, is only marginally relevant even in high-end PvP.