test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Dislike Duelists Flurry

vahlenxvahlenx Banned Users Posts: 33
edited January 2014 in The Thieves' Den
The ability just seems so off in comparison to the rest of the class, it's slow and immobile. I much prefer using Flourish over DF as it allows for more maneuverability and accuracy while maintaining the smooth, quick feel of the TR.

It's sad to see that all of the TR's at-wills are lackluster in comparison to the "all-mighty" Flurry in regards to damage dealth, it would be different if the numbers weren't so vastly inferior.
Post edited by vahlenx on

Comments

• decayedsoulsdecayedsouls Member Posts: 26 Arc User
    edited December 2013
    You've got to learn and control flurry, it's a tough gig at first but once master can pretty much wreck anyone it hits. I do understand however that it's slugging to use and takes like 4 second to perform compared to a certain GWF at will they got with IV.
  • vahlenxvahlenx Banned Users Posts: 33
    edited December 2013
    Playing with the HR's melee feels like what the TR's should be, fast/controllable...........not "slugging" a 4.xx second combo that can essentially "1-hit" someone.

It just feels like the higher I level the more clunky the class gets..........nothing seems to fit together, synergies are few and far between. There's only 1 viable paragon path, the class mechanic is an "after-thought" most of the time, the TR is showing its archaic design imo.
  • shadow5930shadow5930 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 502 Bounty Hunter
    edited December 2013
    Stealth is quite powerful. It's not an after thought that I've seen. It's a core component that is a multiplicative of the power output of a TR. Gloaming cut is a lot worse than DF in terms of 'clunk' imho. That said, I love gloaming cut and use it over DF. the add to stealth + MOAR DMG the lower the HP of the target? It's a nice tool for an at-will.
  • ikeepit3hunnaikeepit3hunna Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited December 2013
    Flurry, jump. Flurry jump. Practise it so u can land it properly. Like start in trade o blades until u get good at it.
    U R 2 E Z- SENT IV GWF undefeated 16k GS
    FaceRoller- regen recovery TR (put on the shelf for now) 14k GS
    Supreme CHAOS - IV GF (put on the shelf for now) 16k GS
    White Khalifa- tene/hp/regen CW (retired) 11k GS (tene)
    Death From Above- TANK ranger 16kGS
    (all halfling everything)

Proud rank 6 of: <Enemy Team>

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    edited December 2013
    Flurry, jump. Flurry jump. Practise it so u can land it properly. Like start in trade o blades until u get good at it.

Exactly........having to exploit the jump mechanic to make Flurry feel even remotely usable is something that doesn't make sense to me. Especially when you consider how fluid the new HR's moves feel and look, just seems like the TR is showing its age in terms of design and regardless of how much dmg the moves do I haven't run into many people that actually like how the moves feel to use.
    edited December 2013
    vahlenx wrote: »
    Exactly........having to exploit the jump mechanic to make Flurry feel even remotely usable is something that doesn't make sense to me. Especially when you consider how fluid the new HR's moves feel and look, just seems like the TR is showing its age in terms of design and regardless of how much dmg the moves do I haven't run into many people that actually like how the moves feel to use.

Its not an exploit. Your not cheating. It actualy takes a load of skill to do it corectly. Also I jump with split shot while kiting. Jump ray of frost. It aplies to all clases and adds a skill factor to the game and not just pres 2 butttons and everything auto pilots

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    edited December 2013
    I think you mistook my meaning of exploit.............and in the other cases you don't NEED to use jump for the skill to really function, it just helps kiting.

My point is that so many of the TR's at-wills directly violate what the TR is supposed to be, quick, fluid, and flashy. The only move that embodies those aspects is Sky, gloaming and DF are slow clunky moves that i would expect to see a GF using. Disagree with me if you will, though I haven't run into many people that do not share my sentiments.........clunky combat is a major part of why this game is not popular.
    edited December 2013
    vahlenx wrote: »
    I think you mistook my meaning of exploit.............and in the other cases you don't NEED to use jump for the skill to really function, it just helps kiting.

My point is that so many of the TR's at-wills directly violate what the TR is supposed to be, quick, fluid, and flashy. The only move that embodies those aspects is Sky, gloaming and DF are slow clunky moves that i would expect to see a GF using. Disagree with me if you will, though I haven't run into many people that do not share my sentiments.........clunky combat is a major part of why this game is not popular.

Your nerfing yourself if you don't jump df. It looks very flashy and fluid when you do it aswell. And the combat in this game is great. The lack of pvp content is the games downfall, there's not much end game. But just try df jumping. Do it in stealth so u go farther and don't get cced in the middle of it

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • rescorlarescorla Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 24 Arc User
    edited January 2014
    A TR in my guild says that while Duelist Flurry does more damage than Sly Flourish, he uses Sly Flourish because the animation of Duelist Flurry locks in and you can't move out of the red AOE marks on the floor. Apparently in T1/T2 dungeon runs you can get insta-gibbed if you get caught in the AOE.

Based on some of the comments in this thread, it would appear you can avoid that animation lock in by jumping. My TR is only 42 so can someone explain that tactic? Is it as simple as jumping whenever the red AOE shows?
  • trapublicantrapublican Member Posts: 206 Bounty Hunter
    edited January 2014
    ^He's dying from the third animation because he timed it wrong (and obviously has poor defenses and/or hp if he's getting oneshotted). It's ridiculously easy to avoid the AI's high damage attacks in this game so if you're eating them due to DF then that's down to lack of skill.

The jumping being discussed in the thread is referring to the first two attacks of DF, it allows you to be much more mobile and you can actually hit people with one or both of those attacks at times (if you don't jump you'll only hit the worst of players with them).
  • midnightfang93midnightfang93 Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited January 2014
    rescorla wrote: »
    A TR in my guild says that while Duelist Flurry does more damage than Sly Flourish, he uses Sly Flourish because the animation of Duelist Flurry locks in and you can't move out of the red AOE marks on the floor. Apparently in T1/T2 dungeon runs you can get insta-gibbed if you get caught in the AOE.

Based on some of the comments in this thread, it would appear you can avoid that animation lock in by jumping. My TR is only 42 so can someone explain that tactic? Is it as simple as jumping whenever the red AOE shows?
    To break the flurry animation, you need to dodge. You can dodge/shift out of the flurry animation as long as you have the stamina. The jumping that people are referring to is jumping between the attacks before the 3rd phase to gain more distance. If you time the jumps enough, then you can hit most of your targets relatively easily.
  • rescorlarescorla Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 24 Arc User
    edited January 2014
    ^He's dying from the third animation because he timed it wrong (and obviously has poor defenses and/or hp if he's getting oneshotted). It's ridiculously easy to avoid the AI's high damage attacks in this game so if you're eating them due to DF then that's down to lack of skill.

The jumping being discussed in the thread is referring to the first two attacks of DF, it allows you to be much more mobile and you can actually hit people with one or both of those attacks at times (if you don't jump you'll only hit the worst of players with them).

So the jump tactic you refer to is primarily a PVP tactic? I'm only 42 so please explain to me how it works.

Thanks in advance
  • burkaancburkaanc Member Posts: 2,186 Arc User
    edited January 2014
    Your nerfing yourself if you don't jump df. It looks very flashy and fluid when you do it aswell. And the combat in this game is great. The lack of pvp content is the games downfall, there's not much end game. But just try df jumping. Do it in stealth so u go farther and don't get cced in the middle of it

gwf used to be able to cancel wms, u know how it ended :( i guess somebody likes clunky mechanics
    Paladin Master Race
  • slushpsychoslushpsycho Member Posts: 657 Bounty Hunter
    edited January 2014
    Oh well try playing a GF then u know what is call slow and immobile. TR duelist fury is mobile as hack, hence the 2 feature you can have to boost base run speed. If things go south u can always just shift away.
  • godlysoul1godlysoul1 Member Posts: 293 Bounty Hunter
    edited January 2014
    Duelist is fantastic. You need to learn to time movements between the strokes so you can make it more mobile. Other tips are to use it from stealth, or just do the first 2 hits in stealth to time it so when you come out of stealth right after the second hit, then it looks like you just ran out of stealth, when you can actually just use another click to get the flurry off on them without worrying about stuns/prones since you will be immune. Also, you can use ITC during duelist without interrupting the combo, so if you see a prone or CC coming at you, you can activate ITC and still continue the combo. You can also try intentionally aiming the first two attacks away from the target, and then moving towards your actual target to land the flurry. This works exceptionally well in 2v1 scenarios but can still work in 1v1. Generally you don't want to land the first two hits anyway, as this will cause your opponent to dodge away and make it much harder to land the flurry. Your goal should only be to land the final flurry of hits.

Other benefits of flurry are the bleed being able to help take down enemies while under CC or when running or to help deplete opposing TRs stealth meter, the fact that the flurry hits ~9 times, which can activate weapon enchants very well, especially in the case of bilethorn which stacks every hit rather than having a limit, and the immunity while activating the flurry is fantastic too. This immunity window works fantastic with ITC too if you and even more if you are a stealth build. Some ways you can use it are doing those first two hits in stealth, but then saving the flurry for after stealth breaks, giving your abilities a little extra time to cooldown while remaining immune. If you see the opportunities come up and can time it, the flurry can help you avoid controlling effects from CW AOEs when you see them coming and are mid-combo since you can stall or speed up the combo as it goes. Also, if you use ITC to break your stealth, if you time it right you can get the flurry to go right when ITC ends, furthering your immunity window.

Just some thoughts. I'm sure others brought up a lot of good points as well.