test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

Companion transfer?

ohnishiohnishi Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 0 Arc User
edited January 2014 in General Discussion (PC)
Is there any way to transfer a companion from one character to another?
Post edited by ohnishi on

Comments

• Options
    caloriencalorien Member Posts: 177 Arc User
    edited December 2013
    In a word, no. Once it has been equipped it can not be unbound.
    The PWI info-fox formerly known as Mayfly - Dreamweaver
  • Options
    cdnbisoncdnbison Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 806 Arc User
    edited December 2013
    That being said, if you acquire a companion (via a drop, event, or zen store) that is NOT bound, you can mail it to another character.
  • Options
    ohnishiohnishi Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited December 2013
    This is very unfair. I paid too expensive for 1 or 2 companions and not be able to transfer to another char...
    IDLE companion SHOULD be shared with all chars account. : (

Is a tip, PW.
  • Options
    irugationzirugationz Member Posts: 2 Arc User
    edited December 2013
    I agree, Companions should be available to all account. That will make players buy more and more, because will use it for more then one character. It's a awesome idea!
  • Options
    echokazulechokazul Member Posts: 149 Arc User
    edited December 2013
    That's the only reason I don't buy companions from the zen shop. If there was an option to make them account wide, I'd do so, even if doing so would make them bound. That much money for just one companion for one toon, though, is too much. Especially when they keep tweaking classes. Do I really want to invest that much in one toon, just to have them seriously nerf CW's in the future? My whole account, though yes, I'm willing to invest in my account.

Or at least allow us to unbind them into 'account bound' for a cost. Like unbinding enchantments.
    Kyba Fell- Tiefling GF (Main)
    RainFeather- Dragonborn DC
    Rune Fell- Drow CW
  • Options
    mconosrepmconosrep Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited December 2013
    echokazul wrote: »
    Do I really want to invest that much in one toon, just to have them seriously nerf CW's in the future?

To be fair as a CW you should be fine.

Cryptic have done nothing to change the fact that 3 CW parties have been the best or nearly the best option since 'Open Beta'. Now if you were any other class apart from a CW (or a DC) you would have a point...
  • Options
    syka08syka08 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited December 2013

Or at least allow us to unbind them into 'account bound' for a cost. Like unbinding enchantments.

An option (or at least a button) like this used to exist. Though I cannot say if it was ever operationally functional.
    contents to be decided
  • Options
    tfangeltfangel Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited December 2013
    syka08 wrote: »
    An option (or at least a button) like this used to exist. Though I cannot say if it was ever operationally functional.

I seem to remember this too, kind of sad if it was removed or changed. I could see making it so you couldn't level up companions and put on AH, bots would love that, but releasing it to account wouldn't be a bad thing. :\
  • Options
    dardovedardove Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users, Neverwinter Knight of the Feywild Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited December 2013
    syka08 wrote: »

While the game was live, no. But it worked at some point before open beta when they were testing it out, but they decided they didn't want people to unbind them so it was disabled.
  • Options
    bendalekbendalek Member Posts: 1,983 Arc User
    edited December 2013
    Asked and answered many times before ... There is a post somewhere on the forums where the devs have stated that it didn't fit with their vision of the game, to them it just didn't seem right to swap companions around.
    (read: PWE doesn't see any profit in it)
    Is it finally a T5/U/T6 KDF Science Ship?
    tacofangs wrote: »
    Nope, just a McKrenim Happy Meal toy.
    IMPERIAL AUSMONAUTS - STO Klingon & Rom-Klink Fleet.

My%20STO%20Sig%20Clear_zpsb3deonfo.png
  • Options
    edited December 2013
    As I understand it, unbinding was causing some serious issues in the code, so it was scrapped.

I do agree that they should be made account-wide, and reclaimable for every character. I'd even be happy if they made select pets like this - let's say green and blue level, one in each role (controller, leader, defender, striker) for 8 total. I'd buy the blue pets pretty much immediately. And because they aren't purple, players still have the option to upgrade them.

That gives players a 'go-to' pet right away, while leaving 'special' pets (Galeb Duhr, Ioun Stone) as more unique, per-character options.
  • Options
    grogthemagnifgrogthemagnif Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 1,651 Arc User
    edited December 2013
    cdnbison wrote: »
    That being said, if you acquire a companion (via a drop, event, or zen store) that is NOT bound, you can mail it to another character.

Absolutely! I just did this with my second Blink Dog from Celadine's Tower.
  • Options
    edited December 2013
    I will no longer buy companions... :(
  • Options
    edited December 2013
    ohnishi wrote: »
    This is very unfair. I paid too expensive for 1 or 2 companions and not be able to transfer to another char...
    IDLE companion SHOULD be shared with all chars account. : (

Is a tip, PW.

WOn't happen. Ever. It'd unbalance things - you'd get players levelling a companion to 30, pass it to an alt, and then the companion could pretty much handle the first 20 levels on its own.
  • Options
    ladymythosladymythos Member, Neverwinter Knight of the Feywild Users Posts: 637 Bounty Hunter
    edited December 2013
    Do I really want to invest that much in one toon, just to have them seriously nerf CW's in the future?
    Personally, I think people in general are whining too much about nerfing. Nerfing is simply the developers decideding one class is too powerful, so they nerf it to make it more equal to all the others. That's called balancing the game. That's what makes this a good game. The TRs used to be overpowered, so they nerfed them to make them more fun for everyone. :)

But yeah, on topic, I really wish we could transfer companions between characters. My TR has a hawk I really want to give to the ranger, but I can't do it. It makes a lot of sense for the ranger to have the hawk anyway, and the TR has an armored orc wolf. That means the hawk just sits there doing nothing. Also, I wish we could transfer more stuff to the other character. My GWF has a caturday cloak I want to give to a character I actually play. I don't play the GWF at all, but I can't delete her either, or else I'll permanently loose the cloak. Though what I don't get is why the cloak and Caturday Survivor-title isn't account wise. Sure, my new characters weren't here during beta, but so what? I was, and that's why I should get the title and cloak.
  • Options
    mrspumamrspuma Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited December 2013
    WOn't happen. Ever. It'd unbalance things - you'd get players levelling a companion to 30, pass it to an alt, and then the companion could pretty much handle the first 20 levels on its own.

I think that's a good point and an argument against companion transfer. The only way around it would be something like "if you unbind this companion it will lose all level progress" or some such.

But even if transfer won't likely happen for balance reason, that doesn't negate all the past suggestions for having companion purchases be account-wide to begin with - so I'm always in support of either dropping prices on single-purchase companions or making them account wide, like mounts. Either or. But I'm not sure that'll ever happen, either. ;)
  • Options
    alexgabriel23alexgabriel23 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 276
    edited December 2013
    I have a suggestion for this .... the devs can remove the "bind on equip" option from them so they wont bound is that too much to ask....?..
    mrspuma wrote: »
    I think that's a good point and an argument against companion transfer. The only way around it would be something like "if you unbind this companion it will lose all level progress" or some such.

also i gree with this , if u unbind to lose all level progression except for the quality , if u realy want to move to another toon
  • Options
    alexgabriel23alexgabriel23 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 276
    edited December 2013
    or reduce the upgrade cost and make zen comp free for the whole account once u buy them.... i mean realy... nobody will buy the same companion 2 tims or 3 times or 5 times in my personal opninon maybe some do but i doubt it
  • Options
    hyphonatedxhyphonatedx Member Posts: 1 Arc User
    edited December 2013
    o yea its should work fi yo udo that
  • Options
    icyclassicyclass Member Posts: 207 Arc User
    edited December 2013

If you have a high level character send your new character a level 5 or 6 training runestone and some cheap level 60 purple gear for the companion you can still get pretty much the same effect.
    But I don't know how concerned anyone is with gaming low/mid-level single-player content....
  • Options
    kirkcaldykirkcaldy Member Posts: 166 Arc User
    edited December 2013
    I also would like to be able to use my companions,
    on any chars, on one account.
    Of course with some limitations, or reductions in stats etc, whatever.

Little off topic, but something I really desire,
    is a Pick Up pet/companion.
    Due to the amount of stuff and the loot explosions,
    you have to run around and pick the stuff up.
    This leads to gaining aggro from nearby mobs etc.

The pick up pet could be made so it is ignored by mobs,
    as it causes no threat, due to it doesn't fight, only picks up.
    It could have its own small inventory,
    or just put stuff straight into the players bag.
    This would solve various things, like missing drops due to rushing etc.
    It could have a set of parameters, that you set to pick up various things or ignore others.

I know this wont appeal to a lot of folks, but I would love it.
    So much so, that I am prepared to buy one from the Zen store,
    if it would ever happen.
    Would love eg: a little Bunny with a back pack on :D

:cool:
  • Options
    angryspriteangrysprite Member Posts: 4,982 Arc User
    edited December 2013
  • Options
    thegreeblerthegreebler Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 2
    edited January 2014
    or reduce the upgrade cost and make zen comp free for the whole account once u buy them.... i mean realy... nobody will buy the same companion 2 tims or 3 times or 5 times in my personal opninon maybe some do but i doubt it

I agree. We pay enough it should be on the account.

In fact, I would even say that they should ONLY cost diamonds. OR some other way to get them directly from PLAYING THE GAMe.

But then we get back to them needing subs:)
  • Options
    millertime197933millertime197933 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users, Neverwinter Knight of the Feywild Users Posts: 124 Bounty Hunter
    edited January 2014
    Yeah so what if they pass a level 30 companion to an alt and it owns the first 20 levels. Its not like those are hard anyways. If you are relying on a companion to beat that for you, then you will be sorely disappointed when you discover that the thing attacks like, once every 2-3 seconds. You might actually handicap yourself if you rely on it too much. The reality is that a companion, at any level, is anything but overpowering. You can also level to 20 in like, a day.
  • Options
    giggliatogiggliato Member Posts: 446 Arc User
    edited January 2014

A level 1 blue companion can handle a lot of the early stuff on its own, I don't think ease of levelling is the reason that the devs removed this feature.
  • Options
    rafa2306rafa2306 Member Posts: 44
    edited January 2014
    Most items in game should be account bound. I get companions not being reclaimable by all toons, but I should be able to send it from one toon to another.

And create an alternative to mail, make an extra line or 2 on bank to be shared by all toons.