test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

New graphics settings

klandearlasklandearlas Member Posts: 20 Arc User
edited December 2013 in Bug Reports (PC)
Since the new module went live I am having an issue with slower graphics..anyone else found this or a fix? I am on a low end system but with the help of the low end tutorial on the technical help forum I had it sorted but now its slowing down again especially in the enclave and when in a group. Has the graphics specs just been risen further with the release of the new module? if so thats a drag...

Anyway thank in advance for any help.
Post edited by klandearlas on

Comments

• eldartheldarth Member Posts: 4,494 Arc User
    edited December 2013
    Graphic settings were all set back to "default" with Module 2 patch. Go thru the low end tutorial again and re-adjust settings.
  • diotelpdiotelp Member Posts: 115 Arc User
    edited December 2013
    While it is true that the settings were reset there is a problem here, the game is unplayable for me now even though i have reduced all graphics settings to lowest possible, i even forced a 800x600 resolution to see if it helped.
    Something i noticed is that i changed the view distance to the lowest possible, and yet i still see quite far, maybe there is a problem where some settings aren't changing properly.
    Before i was able to play the game pretty well, doing dungeons and stuff, and now i can't even quest as general moving around is barely possible and fighting seems pointless.

It feels like the entire graphics of the game have been updated, i compare how well the game plays to when i started playing the game on linux, it is about the same now, drop all the graphics down and i still only get 5 fps when staring at a wall with nothing else going on. Something has changed, and it is not something on our end (graphics settings), i would personally like to know if it's a bug, keep checking the forums daily to see if there are any changes. Want to know if i should bother :)
  • alexgabriel23alexgabriel23 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 276
    edited December 2013
    diotelp wrote: »
    While it is true that the settings were reset there is a problem here, the game is unplayable for me now even though i have reduced all graphics settings to lowest possible, i even forced a 800x600 resolution to see if it helped.
    Something i noticed is that i changed the view distance to the lowest possible, and yet i still see quite far, maybe there is a problem where some settings aren't changing properly.
    Before i was able to play the game pretty well, doing dungeons and stuff, and now i can't even quest as general moving around is barely possible and fighting seems pointless.

It feels like the entire graphics of the game have been updated, i compare how well the game plays to when i started playing the game on linux, it is about the same now, drop all the graphics down and i still only get 5 fps when staring at a wall with nothing else going on. Something has changed, and it is not something on our end (graphics settings), i would personally like to know if it's a bug, keep checking the forums daily to see if there are any changes. Want to know if i should bother :)

it is a bug i never had before fps issue now i do i reduced graphs alot didnt see any improve in fps i think i got arround 15 fps more and i reduced alot of stuffs , besides that i noticed huge lag spikes too and delay on skills pushbacks and my ms doesnt get lower then 200-220-260 before the updated everything was perfect i didnt had lag i didnt ever had fps issue i even forced my graph card a bit more now i reduced everything and i used to play with vertycal sync on now icant even think to turn it on cuz prob i cant play the game
  • alexgabriel23alexgabriel23 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 276
    edited December 2013
    i chatted in game with several ppl they confirmed me and still some say they dont see any difference i dont realy believe that isnt that hard to notice .. unless they have an very powerfull system like 16+ gb rams best quad core on market and very expanssive video card
  • kattefjaeskattefjaes Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users Posts: 2,270 Bounty Hunter
    edited December 2013
    I have noticed performance is shocking since the mod 2 patch dropped.

I'm used to running everything maxed at a consistent 60fps, but now in some dungeons, it drops down to a couple of frames a second in some places.. The thing is, when it hits me, it hits everyone in the party at the same time, and Mumble is full of "LAAAG", so it's not specific to me, and appears to be a more general performance issue.

If I had to guess, I'd say that it's either lighting or shader issues, probably shader, due the situations in which it triggers (in specific places, when lots of spell effects are overlaid). Dropping various settings seems not to help- just making the game look boring. However, even with settings quite low, it's still snarling up at key points (Frozen Heart is an excellent place to see the effect in general).

(I'm running with a six core 3.3Ghz core i7, Geforce 780ti and 12 gigs of RAM, with the game installed on an SSD which gets a consistent 400+GB/sec read)

Anyway, the problem seems to affect a lot of people.
  • granexgranex Member Posts: 4
    edited December 2013
    same prop but cant now put performance witch was before new updeits<.<
  • resintokeresintoke Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 33
    edited December 2013
    I'd just like to confirm that I too have experienced major FPS issues since MOD2 patch.

One solutiion I have found is changing your video settings from Directx 11 (or AUTO) to Direct X 9.

DX11 seems to be an issue for a lot of people.
    Check out my Twitch stream & video highlights!!
    <Four Twenty> is recruiting! Apply by registering on our website!
    Check out my cleric guides, notes, and discussions!!

5563438nSKoR.png
  • bearthornbearthorn Member Posts: 6 Arc User
    edited December 2013
    eldarth wrote: »
    Graphic settings were all set back to "default" with Module 2 patch. Go thru the low end tutorial again and re-adjust settings.

I am having almost the same exact problems and seems to be centered around the Shadow Mantle patches. Before I had no problem playing the game. Options worked fine, I had decent ping around 100-150. Now its stays around 350- 790 and higher at times. Options no longer even seem to work especially related to shadows and lighting, and rendering. Mode before was fine, now won't hold fullscreen for nothing keeps going into Windowed mode. CPU use seems to have increased by about 30-40%. The game as it was before was playable. Now unplayable. I have an older dual core athlon X2 with 4gbs of ram, ATI 4670 card. I have seen other posts also having problems related to the ATI cards also. Something has changed for the worse since the Shadow Mantle patch went live. I now can't play so am on the verge of giving up.
    edited December 2013
    bearthorn wrote: »
    I am having almost the same exact problems and seems to be centered around the Shadow Mantle patches. Before I had no problem playing the game. Options worked fine, I had decent ping around 100-150. Now its stays around 350- 790 and higher at times. Options no longer even seem to work especially related to shadows and lighting, and rendering. Mode before was fine, now won't hold fullscreen for nothing keeps going into Windowed mode. CPU use seems to have increased by about 30-40%. The game as it was before was playable. Now unplayable. I have an older dual core athlon X2 with 4gbs of ram, ATI 4670 card. I have seen other posts also having problems related to the ATI cards also. Something has changed for the worse since the Shadow Mantle patch went live. I now can't play so am on the verge of giving up.

Just noticed Graphics slider is greyed out, locked on the Quality end of the slider.
    edited December 2013
    bearthorn wrote: »
    Just noticed Graphics slider is greyed out, locked on the Quality end of the slider.
    Here is a tracert run for ping:
    Microsoft Windows [Version 6.1.7601]
    Copyright (c) 2009 Microsoft Corporation. All rights reserved.

C:\Windows\system32>tracert patchserver.crypticstudios.com

Tracing route to patchserver.crypticstudios.com [208.95.185.41]
    over a maximum of 30 hops:

1 5 ms 7 ms 5 ms 10.33.192.1
    2 6 ms 7 ms 6 ms COX-68-12-9-78-static.coxinet.net [68.12.9.78]
    3 8 ms 7 ms 8 ms COX-68-12-19-160-static.coxinet.net [68.12.19.16
    0]
    4 23 ms 23 ms 23 ms 68.1.2.109
    5 19 ms 19 ms 19 ms 68.105.30.22
    6 20 ms 20 ms 19 ms ae2.cr2.dfw2.us.above.net [64.125.27.81]
    7 26 ms 25 ms 25 ms ae3.cr2.iah1.us.above.net [64.125.21.138]
    8 55 ms 61 ms 54 ms ae6.cr2.dca2.us.above.net [64.125.28.49]
    9 60 ms 60 ms 60 ms xe-0-1-0.mpr4.bos2.us.above.net.29.125.64.in-add
    r.arpa [64.125.29.33]
    10 60 ms 74 ms 62 ms xe-0-0-0.mpr3.bos2.us.above.net [64.125.25.61]
    11 61 ms 61 ms 61 ms 208.184.110.70.IPYX-072053-002-ZYO.above.net [20
    8.184.110.70]
    12 66 ms 61 ms 61 ms border11.te8-1-bbnet2.bsn.pnap.net [63.251.128.1
    04]
    13 70 ms 72 ms 71 ms perfectworldent-4.border11.bsn.pnap.net [216.52.
    61.78]
    14 64 ms 65 ms 65 ms patchserver2.crypticstudios.com [208.95.185.41]

Trace complete.

C:\Windows\system32>
  • diotelpdiotelp Member Posts: 115 Arc User
    edited December 2013
    Bump for the 5th day of being unable to play :(
  • kattefjaeskattefjaes Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users Posts: 2,270 Bounty Hunter
    edited December 2013
    It seems that some of the major FPS drops are caused by the mother of all memory leaks. I had a point in FH a couple of days back where I dropped to about 2 FPS (normally 60 with everything maxed) in an empty area with no mobs and no other players. I waited a minute for it to stabilise, and it didn't- and it was impossible even to walk past mobs safely.

I relogged (back to the char select screen) and the framerate was back to normal. Bad bad memory leak :)