test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Is the new Ranger starter pack worth it to buy?

glithanesglithanes Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 0 Arc User
edited December 2013 in General Discussion (PC)
Hiya all,

So farr I have bought all the packs but I am wondering is the ranger pack worth it?
Also can someone link it, as I cant seem to find it please?
Post edited by glithanes on

Comments

• glithanesglithanes Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited December 2013
    anyone , I cant even find the link to see what items comes with it again?
  • bioshrikebioshrike Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 4,729 Arc User
    edited December 2013
    glithanes wrote: »
    Hiya all,

So farr I have bought all the packs but I am wondering is the ranger pack worth it?
    Also can someone link it, as I cant seem to find it please?

I got the Hunter Ranger Pack, and quite enjoy it. Here is the link and a breakdown of what you get with it:

http://nw.perfectworld.com/news/?p=1046681

Account-wide blue-quality Hunting Hawk companion. Its passive ability is that it grants up to a 7% damage increase depending upon your distance from the target, (I believe it only affects at-will powers).

All your characters can claim special ranger starting weapons, but obviously only ranger characters can actually equip them. They are useful up until level 20 or so. You can unslot the Greycloak enchantment they carry and use them in other weapons if you desire, though they too become outclassed around level 20-25.

1 of your characters can claim the Adventurer's starter kit.

1 of your characters can claim the Great Bag of Holding.

You also unlock a title with the starter kit, which is claimable on all characters.

Overall, I quite like the companion. The greater bag of holding is definitely useful, and the adventurer's starter kit was somewhat useful, (less so if you have an established stock of other characters that could simply feed potions and skill kits to your ranger anyway). The big thing here is that the companion is an account-wide unlock, and that its passive ability is very good for ranged characters.

Hope that helps!
    <::::::::::::::)xxxo <::::::::::::::)xxxo <::::::::::::)xxxxxxxx(:::::::::::> oxxx(::::::::::::::> oxxx(::::::::::::::>
    "Is it better to be feared or respected? I say, is it too much to ask for both?" -Tony Stark
    Official NW_Legit_Community Forums
  • frishterfrishter Member Posts: 3,522 Arc User
    edited December 2013
    It really depends on how much you see value in the items. Personally I think all the packs are overpriced and especially wouldnt get the booster pack due to its high price.
  • knightfalzknightfalz Member Posts: 1,261 Arc User
    edited December 2013
    I bought all the packs up until now, but I didn't buy it. I didn't see the contents worth the price to me. I solo a lot, so a companion that improves my damage at range isn't pf much value, as things don't stay at range that long.

However, a new player starting out that chose to make a ranger for first character may well find this a good deal.
  • melodywhrmelodywhr Member Posts: 4,220 Arc User
    edited December 2013
    if you don't plan on starting a new hunter ranger character, at 3500z... having the hawk companion's active bonus would be great for a control wizard and the greater bag of holding is also a great value, but the GBH is 1000z in the zen store by itself. and that would leave 2500z for the hawk companion if nothing else was of value to you.

for me, as someone who planned on starting a new ranger AND with a CW as my main, this was a no-brainer.
  • rapticorrapticor Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 1,078 Arc User
    edited December 2013
    I would have been more interested if it was something like the Feywild $60 pack. Not saying I want to spend more but this current one seemed to lack the goods. I'm curious why they didn't have one of those I figured they'd have one with every Module release as it's almost a guaranteed $60 from (I imagine) a sizable portion of the population.
  • cellanoid#1655 cellanoid Member Posts: 2 Arc User
    edited December 2013
    rapticor wrote: »
    I would have been more interested if it was something like the Feywild $60 pack. Not saying I want to spend more but this current one seemed to lack the goods. I'm curious why they didn't have one of those I figured they'd have one with every Module release as it's almost a guaranteed $60 from (I imagine) a sizable portion of the population.

Perhaps they did not sell as many as they expected?
    edited December 2013
    melodywhr wrote: »
    if you don't plan on starting a new hunter ranger character, at 3500z... having the hawk companion's active bonus would be great for a control wizard and the greater bag of holding is also a great value, but the GBH is 1000z in the zen store by itself. and that would leave 2500z for the hawk companion if nothing else was of value to you.

for me, as someone who planned on starting a new ranger AND with a CW as my main, this was a no-brainer.

Even if you ignore the starter kit and ranger weapons, and subtract the cost of the GBoH, 2500 Zen isn't too much of a premium price for an account-wide unlock, (when you consider most other blue companions are 2000 Zen for just 1 character).
    <::::::::::::::)xxxo <::::::::::::::)xxxo <::::::::::::)xxxxxxxx(:::::::::::> oxxx(::::::::::::::> oxxx(::::::::::::::>
    "Is it better to be feared or respected? I say, is it too much to ask for both?" -Tony Stark
  • setillsetill Member Posts: 90 Arc User
    edited December 2013
    I bought the ranger booster pack, and i didn't know about how it works, so i have all the items then when i went to claim bags, i claimed also the second booster pack... since i already have items, it says i cannot open the box, so it's stuck in my bag for nothing... plus it's bound . Can i ask a GM to refound it or transfert to another character?
    edited December 2013
    setill wrote: »
    I bought the ranger booster pack, and i didn't know about how it works, so i have all the items then when i went to claim bags, i claimed also the second booster pack... since i already have items, it says i cannot open the box, so it's stuck in my bag for nothing... plus it's bound . Can i ask a GM to refound it or transfert to another character?

You can reclaim the entire bag, because opening it grants you the title. You can also reclaim the companion or weapons separately. The only things which you only get 1 of are the adventurer's starter kit and the greater bag of holding. As long as it isn't one of those two items, you can discard them without fear of losing them permanently.
  • steamcogsteamcog Member Posts: 1 Arc User
    edited December 2013
    I got one, and I feel it was a good buy. The weapons were great for the first few levels, and I'm hoping to eventually transfer the hood and cape's look to high level items when I have enough ADs. I really like the hawk, I have yet to fill up the bag enough to spill over into the other ones, and while most of the stuff in the "start up pack" have been used up, the healing stones are life-savers! I also still have the Greycloak enchants and keep moving them to newer gear.
  • maroquemaroque Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited December 2013
    The blue gear lasts till about level 20, the enchants are good for a few levels more unless you have been really at it and refining your gems. I suspect I will be using the cloak and the hood as transmogrify looks when I reach 60 (I already use the cloak on my ancient muhorand cloak). I personally don't like the hawk and use him only when my usual companions are training, but the companion bonus is nice. The bag is pretty awesome.

But is it worth 3500z? I'm not really sure. I think it is if you got other ranged characters, and even then it's bordering to "meh". I feel it was a good buy, but I would have been happier with a price of 3000z.