test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

Abaddon Hellreaver - PvE Instigator Build

kolatmasterkolatmaster Member Posts: 3,111 Arc User
edited December 2013 in The Militia Barracks
Greetings everyone, I hope your day is rocking well thus far!

LEEROY JENKINS(!!!), my main character, is basically exactly where I want him to be minus Rank 9/10 Enchantments. Then I built up Dakkon Blackblade to a level I am content with, so I now bring you the third installment of my GWF Guide Series, that focused on the Instigator Paragon Path!

Here I will share my current Instigator build of my GWF - Abaddon Hellreaver, along with my general opinion of the class and how it plays. Now this build is simply how I do things, it fits my play style, and I greatly enjoy it. That doesn't mean it's perfect, nor necessarily right, for you, but it is hella fun!

AbaddonArmor_zps1a276e01.png

This guide will start off with his stats, then gear, and then powers/feats.

Base Stats:

I started out with: 16 Str/12 Con/16 Dex/12 Int/12 Wis/12 Cha

I put the +2 in Con and +2 in Cha from the Tiefling racial bonus, and my final stats look like this...

AbbadonScores_zpsa488cb84.png

Now moving on to some offense/defense gear score stats...

Gear Score Stats:

AbbadonPowerStat_zpsaa5b86cb.png
AbbadonDefense_zps62dae8d4.png

Here we see tried to mantain a relatively decent level of Power, to make the most of the Instigator Capstone ability. I focused less on survivability (Lifesteal and Regen), wanting to do as much AoE damage as possible. It comes to 6.7% Lifesteal and 0% Regen, though I have a decent Defense rating of 37.2% which isn't too shabby and keeps me alive during the 12 Sec cool down on Pots/Health Stone. I also went very light on the Recovery as I wanted to focus on maxing out ArmPen/Power for damage. This leaves the character to be focused on strategic maneuverability more so then my Destroyer and Sentinel Spec. This leads to more use of Potions for HP, and/r 'Close Calls' with Dying. However it does lend itself to a fun way of playing as I constantly remain focused on small angled movements to get out of dangerous red circles, and maximizing the use of Wicked Strike/WMS. This keeps me focused on generating the most AoE damage, and keeping on the adds/baddies, as much as possible.
va8Ru.gif
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• Options
    edited October 2013
    This post will have more on the gear I use...

AbbadonGear_zps6e56beea.png

Here you see my gear set up. I'm currently using the Ancient Castle Champion weapon/offhand, and I am currently farming Malabog for the offhand and parts for my mainhand. Aside from that all my offensive slots are Radiant, and the defensive slots are Azure (to increase Damage Resistance and my Power), with the Utility being Dark for movement.

I am using the Avatar of War 4x set as in my testing it has been the best for the Instigator Spec as it gives a massive boost to Power, and keeps my Recovery stat 'respectable' in combat.

On my Armor slot I am using a Normal Thunderhead Enchantment, and I am happy with it. It's been fun so far, sometimes I don't even really see it proc until things kinda stop moving around me momentarialy as I'm constantly looking for the next angle for my attacks, but I would eventually like to upgrade to a Perfect.

On my Weapon I have a Greater Plague Fire. It's been decent so far, though I'm sure a Perfect Vorpal/Lightning/Terror would be more optimum. Slowly saving up, and will eventually make a decision on that... Always welcome to suggestions!

This is my companion...

AbbadonCompanion_zpsb2af1ee8.png

My companion here is a 25th level Ioun Stone of Allure. It is to convey as much Power as possible really, with a little Lifesteal thrown in for a smidgen of survival. I am happy with the Companion as is, only changes would be upgrading enchantment ranks/items as I can.

Though I don't believe their is anything particularly different about them comparatively to other Destroyer GWFs out there.

Feats:

AbaddonFeats_zpsa5752a9a.png

So ya, fairly typical honestly, nothing earth shattering there.

My power rotation is the same as Dakkon's as I've come to enjoy it thus far. It's good to be able to keep the Adds around me for maximizing damage output.

At Will:

Wicked Strike
    Weapon Masters Strike

Passive:

Weapon Master
    Steel Blitz

Daily:

Crescendo
    Slam

Encounter:

Come and Get It
    Not So Fast
    Indomitable Battle Strike

The real gem here is the Encounter Power rotation... You start with CaGT, then follow with a WMS, then IBS, and finally NSF before going back to WMS/Wicked Strike until cool downs end. You can do NSF before IBS, but I find the first way better at least thus far.

The timing is important, and keeping things together can take time to learn, but I've had a ball with this guy thus far.

So feel free to ask any questions you have, and I'll be happy to answer them... Keep rocking! :D
    va8Ru.gif
  • Options
    edited October 2013
    Reserved, just in case! ;)
    va8Ru.gif
  • Options
    djmackendjmacken Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 62 Arc User
    edited October 2013
    Looks like you posted the feats from your destroyer build by mistake.
  • Options
    edited October 2013
    djmacken wrote: »
    Looks like you posted the feats from your destroyer build by mistake.
    Corrected, thank you sir! :)
    va8Ru.gif
  • Options
    djmackendjmacken Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 62 Arc User
    edited October 2013
    How would you compare this to your destroyer?

How much of a dps gain do you see when using aoe?
    How about single target?
    Curious why not so fast wouldn't immediately follow come and get it for the combat advantage buff?

How does this role play out for you on boss encounters? Still enough dps for boss duty if no tr present?
  • Options
    edited October 2013
    How would you compare this to your destroyer?
    Comparable, but different. Destroyer's are better on bosses/single strong adds (like Maws), and the Instigator is better for staying on the adds. Basically the more <font color="orange">HAMSTER</font> that is around, the better (and higher DPS) the Instigator gets.
    How much of a dps gain do you see when using aoe?
    A great deal with Wicked Strike, because for every add I hit it's damage goes up by 5%. It's slow swing, but it hits like a truck.
    How about single target?
    Single target is, honestly, where it falls a bit short (compared to the Destroyer spec).
    Curious why not so fast wouldn't immediately follow come and get it for the combat advantage buff?
    It's an alternation really, depends on how the adds are dispersed. Once I am in the thick of adds with a team, I usually have combat advantage anyways with positioning. Though without it, of course, you use Not So Fast ASAP. :)
    How does this role play out for you on boss encounters? Still enough dps for boss duty if no tr present?
    Boss encounters, thus far, I stay mostly on adds. Though can slot Flourish/Restoring/IBS if you are needed to single target the boss, but it's not what the build is intended for honestly.
    va8Ru.gif
  • Options
    cribstaxxxcribstaxxx Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 1,300 Bounty Hunter
    edited October 2013
    Do you notice that you're able to keep the capstone buff for any length of time or do you get hit and lose it quite often?

Also congrats on being the Authority on all things GWF! =P

Really like the gold dye also, looks good on GWF.
    Guild Master of <Enemy Team>
    We are definitely dominating, and we are always about to win.
  • Options
    edited October 2013
    cribstaxxx wrote: »
    Do you notice that you're able to keep the capstone buff for any length of time or do you get hit and lose it quite often?
    In a funny twist of fate, the fact GWFs (including Sentinels, but not completley) have a difficult time holding Threat versus adds against CWs (and of course GFs, who is this builds BFF!!!), I can keep the buff up quite a bit honestly. You need to avoid AoE attacks as those are the most common way for the buff to be knocked off. If you keep that in mind, your power will be close to 9.75k with this build (currently), not too shabby!
    Also congrats on being the Authority on all things GWF! =P
    I'd hardly say I am the be all, end all, on GWF knowledge. I simply figured that if I was gonna write a Guide about GWFs, and the fact I had no desire to play any other class, I might as well know all the Paths equally well, ya know? :)

Seemed like a legit reason, and since LEEROY JENKINS was where I wanted him to be (best I build I could do in my mind) I may as well go full specialization and know everything I could about the class!
    Really like the gold dye also, looks good on GWF.
    I think it's pretty good... Was hoping to be able to dye the green/turquoise parts black, but I can't. :(
    va8Ru.gif
  • Options
    tarmalentarmalen Member Posts: 1,020 Bounty Hunter
    edited October 2013
    What numbers are you seeing? IBS/NSF/Flourish/Roar/Crescendo etc etc....

I find the Capstone lacking. It has the same distance as NSF. So folks need to be standing next to you for it to trigger.

If you run with a CW then slot roar over CaGI. Sit under singularity hit NSF/IBS/roar/unstoppable with a weaved in at-will rotation and watch the mobs melt.
  • Options
    edited October 2013
    tarmalen wrote: »
    What numbers are you seeing? IBS/NSF/Flourish/Roar/Crescendo etc etc....
    IBS I'm seeing 12-15k crit, sometimes higher with buffs,etc.

I'm working on getting ACT working on computer so I can have legitimate hard numbers to respond back to the rest. :)
    I find the Capstone lacking. It has the same distance as NSF. So folks need to be standing next to you for it to trigger.
    Oh I never said, or meant to insinutate, that the Capstone was flawless... Hardly that! Just we need to work with what we got right? Thus I enjoy having a GF being able to Mark adds and keep their attention, taking hits, etc. If you pay attention to the AoEs, you can keep the 5x buff for a quite a bit of a fight. Though it, unfortunately, requires a good effort to do so (more so then it should honestly).
    If you run with a CW then slot roar over CaGI. Sit under singularity hit NSF/IBS/roar/unstoppable with a weaved in at-will rotation and watch the mobs melt.
    Roar is also an option for sure... I just prefer CaGI as it keeps the adds near me, but Roar definitely keeps its place in my rotation as the situation depends. I alternate a bit between encounters, still finding what I prefer the best. :)
    va8Ru.gif
  • Options
    tarmalentarmalen Member Posts: 1,020 Bounty Hunter
    edited October 2013
    You might consider slotting bravery. The 15% run speed and 7% deflection....

Reasoning is that you already have enough crit....add 5% from TR...5% from combat advantage...food for thought. :D
  • Options
    edited October 2013
    You might consider slotting bravery. The 15% run speed and 7% deflection....

Reasoning is that you already have enough crit....add 5% from TR...5% from combat advantage...food for thought. :D
    I use Bravery when I am tanking a boss, or need to make a run. I want the higher crit 9All the Crits!!!) from Weapon Master to proc Student of the Sword and Deep Gash as much as possible, so that stays. :)

Steel Blitz is what I slot in and out, for Bravery.
    va8Ru.gif
  • Options
    nonameidknonameidk Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited October 2013
    I use Bravery when I am tanking a boss, or need to make a run. I want the higher crit 9All the Crits!!!) from Weapon Master to proc Student of the Sword and Deep Gash as much as possible, so that stays. :)

Steel Blitz is what I slot in and out, for Bravery.

You're not using Destroyer passive? Even on adds?
    When in doubt, just hold on. A new day will rise :)
  • Options
    edited October 2013
    nonameidk wrote: »
    You're not using Destroyer passive? Even on adds?
    Nope, going with Weapon Master and Steel Blitz mostly.

Having to hit 4-5x adds, doesn't always happen honestly. I slot it in sometimes, like say for Pirate King or other high add fights. Could look into using it more... Something to work with of course. :)
    va8Ru.gif
  • Options
    linkingirl86linkingirl86 Member Posts: 77 Arc User
    edited November 2013
    Hi Kolatmaster

Just added your guide to the mmominds.com.
    Ty once again for leting us share your post.

Linkingirl
  • Options
    edited November 2013
    Hi Kolatmaster

Just added your guide to the mmominds.com.
    Ty once again for leting us share your post.

Linkingirl
    No problem whatsoever, happy to be of service! :)
    va8Ru.gif
  • Options
    kgl7kgl7 Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited December 2013
    You have now posted builds of three different races. All have their benefits, but does any of them stand out to you in these three categories: PvE, PVP, Overall feel.
  • Options
    edited December 2013
    kgl7 wrote: »
    You have now posted builds of three different races. All have their benefits, but does any of them stand out to you in these three categories: PvE, PVP, Overall feel.
    I also have a 4th level 60 GWF now also, a Drow. Go go Gadget 2x Experience, yay!

I'd say I think the Stat Bonus's available to the Half-Orc are the best, as you can do Str/Con or Str/Dex.

Ability wise I feel the Tiefling, for a DPS spec GWF, is the best as their 5% extra damage to enemies 50% less on HPs is huge with their AoE attacks, though there Stat plus's of Str + Cha/Wis (I think!) isn't amazing.

For Sentinel's, I'd say Halfling's extra Deflection chance is superb (particularly with the final Sharanadar Boon!).

These are all my opinions though, not saying it's the end all be all and I always advise players to choose what they feel is best flavor/playstyle wise! :)
    va8Ru.gif
  • Options
    ortzhyortzhy Member Posts: 1,103 Bounty Hunter
    edited December 2013
    I also have a 4th level 60 GWF now also, a Drow. Go go Gadget 2x Experience, yay!

I'd say I think the Stat Bonus's available to the Half-Orc are the best, as you can do Str/Con or Str/Dex.

Ability wise I feel the Tiefling, for a DPS spec GWF, is the best as their 5% extra damage to enemies 50% less on HPs is huge with their AoE attacks, though there Stat plus's of Str + Cha/Wis (I think!) isn't amazing.

For Sentinel's, I'd say Halfling's extra Deflection chance is superb (particularly with the final Sharanadar Boon!).

These are all my opinions though, not saying it's the end all be all and I always advise players to choose what they feel is best flavor/playstyle wise! :)

But above all is the Dwarf!!! :o
  • Options
    burkaancburkaanc Member Posts: 2,186 Arc User
    edited December 2013
    as human u get 1% crit or 5% severity + 2 feats, and gwf is starving for those feats :D
    Paladin Master Race
  • Options
    edited December 2013
    burkaanc wrote: »
    as human u get 1% crit or 5% severity + 2 feats, and gwf is starving for those feats :D
    Human is completely legit, I just feel the Half-Orc/Tiefling are arguably better, even with the added feats. :)
    va8Ru.gif
  • Options
    kgl7kgl7 Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited December 2013
    Thanks, been trying to figure out what to play and I did H-orc myself all the way to 60.

It's been way too long since I've played the game, so I'm starting over from scratch as a Tiefling, getting the full experience once again :)
  • Options
    wikkedjrwikkedjr Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited December 2013
    Mr. Abaddon, first of all, as a commander of a black legion army...my hat is tipped to the name!

Now, on to business...I'm having a terrible time getting a working group for T2 runs, sucks, but eh what can you do?

If I can't get my mits on an avatar set right away (or any T2 dungeon set), what is a good set to fill the void until then, for this build?
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    rollingonitrollingonit Member Posts: 1,322 Arc User
    edited December 2013
    Maybe berserker T1 set. I think it has same stat config (but lower values) and set bonus is diff. The set bonus may be nice though cause of the CD reduction on Encounters on daily use. Kola might have a diff suggestion though.
    We can pretend.
    Fox Stevenson - Sandblast
    Oh Wonder - Without You

Do not go gentle into that good night.
    Rage, rage against the dying of the light.
    - Dylan Thomas
  • Options
    edited December 2013
    if u have a good guild and bad luck with loot then u can buy balanced lvl 60 blue set(though there are 2 different levels of stats for lvl 60 rares) dont know about gwf, but as tr u can get 9k+ gs in blues with rank4's gwf should have more gs. so u can run any dungeons, and do decent damage if you are good

if you dont have guild try farming GG set, i doubt its worth farming t1, and you can get t1 parts in GG dungeons
    Paladin Master Race
  • Options
    wikkedjrwikkedjr Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited December 2013
    Well...I'm in a guild, but it's not very active. I also have 2 pieces of GG armor and 2 pieces of the berserker T1 set...so it could go either way really lol! As far as the T2s go...I do have the avatar boots, but I kid you not...this entire weekend everytime I've queued for ToS I get a bugged instance with the boss dead. SP and CoK tend to go the direction of, accept queue and one person or another goes, 'Can't do this without two CWs' and leaves. I'm not very experienced when it comes to T2s so....yeah.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    edited December 2013
    **** this thread is way back

what powers are other ppl using

for me
    at-will Sure/Wicked

Encounter Come And Get It(helps gather the mobs after cw scatter them, more for utility since dmg is high enough) Not So Fast (fast animation, buffed by feats and gives CA) and IBS(although dungeon runs isnt the best way to accurately test dmg, i think im doing more dmg over all with this than with frontline, has shorter cd and plays nice with Come and get it + frontline knocks the stuff i want to be close back)

Feature Weapon master/trample or weapon master + bravery for valindra(for the rest we just pull everything in a big pile so its not even worth switching)

cant decide on daily, they dont seem to matter much so i just use avalanche of steel, i think it should be long enough to get inst capstone back up, and it should work with trample, but havent tested and its a real lifesaver + that gf single target daily
    slam could be nice and better for dps, but i doubt its that much better and i still do a tons of damage with only good cw with better items being able to get close
    Paladin Master Race
  • Options
    edited December 2013
    I will post more in this in the coming days... Currently I am working on LEEROY JENKINS!!! :)
    va8Ru.gif
  • Options
    edited December 2013
    what el cheapo companions u think ppl should buy

for me the list seems to be
    Stone - a must have for all pve clases + the slow might proc trample
    Skeletal Dog - 190 Life Steal @ ~300k
    Sellsword - 300k upgrade to green is a decent price and gives power
    Skeleton - 55 power 55 life steal @ ~300k
    Blink dog - its cheap, we have skills that give ca and other classes have ways to give ca so its 2% dmg increase running with cw or hunters who have those feats

also hawk and armored orc dog seems ok, but we should have close to 4k crit anyway from all the items we have
    Paladin Master Race