test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

GF and GWF. Your companion choices

grimahgrimah Member Posts: 1,658 Arc User
edited December 2013 in The Militia Barracks
What would you say is your ideal choice for GWF or GF? Don't think theres any need to list stone since everyone is going to use either ioun or might.

here is my list of my "ideal" 4

Guardian fighter:
Honey badger
Slyph
Rust Monster
Helmite paladin or cleric (epiced)

GWF:
Fire Archon
Con artist (epiced)
Dancing blade (epiced)
Galeb duhr
Creator of the featured survival horror foundry: "The Silence of Haydenwick" Video Review
and also the featured satirical comedic adventure "A Call for Heroes".
Post edited by grimah on

Comments

• Options
    yokihiroyokihiro Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 510 Bounty Hunter
    edited December 2013
    With module 2 it only matters which active stats they give and what benefits best to your setup. The summoned companion itself is kinda worthless if it is not an augment. I levelled a GF during double XP. Cleric was handy because you save pots and don't have to block a lot. Everything else that deals damage can be ignored. The damage of companions is low, doesn't matter in the end which you take. As said, with module 2 the combination of active bonusses is what will decide which companions are useful (for example a DC might take one in the active slots that gives crit if he focusses on that stat).
  • Options
    kolatmasterkolatmaster Member Posts: 3,111 Arc User
    edited December 2013
    The Fire Archon and Galeb Duhr are part of the same category, and I thought you could only have 1 per category... If that's actually the case, per the test shard, I'd use Galeb Duhr (In a Destro/Instigator Spec).

I'd also include the Ioun Stone of Allure for the ability of 10% slow on encounter powers, helps with Trample the Fallen if you are IV, etc.

Also looked at the PsuedoDragon for 20% to regen stamina or the Sylph for 50% Control Resist. I also like the Vicious Dire Wolf for the 5% Interrupt chance. Though I see what you're doing to up damage with the Con Artist/Dancing Blade for crit based attacks... Which I believe is also completely viable!
    va8Ru.gif
  • Options
    shadow5930shadow5930 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 502 Bounty Hunter
    edited December 2013
    If I had a choice without the insane price tag following it:

ion stone of allure for slow
    ion stone of might for guard boost (GF)
    dire wolf for interrupt
    psuedo dragon for the regen
    Sylph for control resist

But.. that's expensive. So I'll probably do what I normally do: use whatever I have.
  • Options
    grimahgrimah Member Posts: 1,658 Arc User
    edited December 2013
    psuedo is bad, for any class. gives you.. 1-2 stamina/guard. i wouldnt bother myself.
    Creator of the featured survival horror foundry: "The Silence of Haydenwick" Video Review
    and also the featured satirical comedic adventure "A Call for Heroes".
  • Options
    edited December 2013
    Blacksmith.

That is all.
    va8Ru.gif
  • Options
    bendalekbendalek Member Posts: 1,983 Arc User
    edited December 2013
    Are you asking about active bonus companions or just the pet you have running with you on map?

For summoned companions, personally (and I'm still a newb compared to most on here) I used a sylph on my low level GF/GWF's as the potions easily restored full health and the companion was usually doing more damage than me, so they got most of the aggro.
    Once I got to lvl 21+ I had some decent gear and gems and was pulling some decent numbers with good powers/feats, so I dropped the sylph and went to the "olde faithful" CD companion.

Yes I have disposable income, so I have upgraded my CD's to purple, and with the extra HP, plus socketing Eldritch to boost me as well, they are **** fine companions.

For Active Bonus Companions, I have no idea what I'll pick, probably as others have said, just go with whatever i currently have account wide from packs and see what they give me. I might consider a new companion (the blacksmith does sound interesting) but I'll wait and see. I've this far without the bonuses, so any buff is, well, a buff, and I'm not gonna' spend 1000's of Z, just for a few % increase in a certain stat.
    Is it finally a T5/U/T6 KDF Science Ship?
    tacofangs wrote: »
    Nope, just a McKrenim Happy Meal toy.
    IMPERIAL AUSMONAUTS - STO Klingon & Rom-Klink Fleet.

My%20STO%20Sig%20Clear_zpsb3deonfo.png
  • Options
    holsacholsac Member Posts: 104 Arc User
    edited December 2013
    I've always wanted to try the Kelemvorite Priest with my GWF. Can't remember exactly what it does (servers are down/can't access the zen store) but do remember one of the way it heals is by buff you with lifesteal.

Just something I'd like to try and have no idea how it would actually work.
  • Options
    edited December 2013
    holsac wrote: »
    I've always wanted to try the Kelemvorite Priest with my GWF. Can't remember exactly what it does (servers are down/can't access the zen store) but do remember one of the way it heals is by buff you with lifesteal.

Just something I'd like to try and have no idea how it would actually work.

I tried her with my GWF, and ... well ... I don't know really, I tried giving her LS Runes plus an Eldritch, and geared my toon for LS, thinking that together they would give heaps of health regen. boost, but it almost seemed like the AoK was cancelling out my GWF's lifesteal

I didn't actually do any number crunching, or extensive testing, but it didn't seem to work as well as the tool tip made it sound.
    Maybe it's got one of those "secret" nerf's/buffs that supposedly crop up whenever there is a patch, so I'll have to give her another run and see.

• Options
    korgulltekorgullte Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 95
    edited December 2013
    I am very tempted to use a rust monster on my GWF It seems like it would be a decent combo for defensive builds unless there is a downside I do not see.
  • Options
    jeffcostaricajeffcostarica Member Posts: 15 Arc User
    edited December 2013
    After I read a little, I believe that I make a huge mistake by choosing "the dog" for my first char... :(
  • Options
    nwnghostnwnghost Member, Moderators, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Knight of the Feywild Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited December 2013
    On my GWF (destroyer) I currently run:

Sylph (great for times when you aren't unstoppable or simply to tank CC to get your unstoppable with less downtime)
    Vicious Dire Wolf
    Stone
    Fire Archon

I'm still considering what to get for my 5th.

Considering the following, but give me some ideas:
    Wild Hunt Rider (upgraded to epic should be a nice boost to damage, but costly)
    Will O Wisp (even more control resist)
    Dancing Shield (nice deflection boost)

Not considering:
    Dancing Blade (too expensive to buy and then upgrade and the boost is tiny)
  • Options
    inthefade462inthefade462 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited December 2013
    currently using Stone, Dancing Blade, Direwolf, Fire Archon, and Blink Dog. interested in the new lightfoot thief but leveling my companions so they can do sca now.
  • Options
    edited December 2013
    Well, luckily I've been able to afford several of the "packs" so for my GF, I use the

Dire Wolf (Interrupt - 5% flat)
    Panther (Prone Damage - 10% flat)
    Sylph (Control Resist - 50% flat)
    Dog (Arm Pen - 300 at Purple)

And lastly, because I couldn't imagine going anywhere without her, the Queen of Companions:
    Aggromagnetic CD (Regen - 300!!! at purple)

The best thing about lower tiered companions is that the bonus increases as they level up, where as the "purple" companions don't ... Just something to be aware of when choosing between 2 similar active bonuses, sometimes you are better off with the lower ranked one as the bonus will get better ...

Really though, as I don't do PvP any more ... A stone is a waste or me, and I prefer having an actual tangible companion by my side, with all their quirks, I couldn't go into battle without having to worry about and care for my CD (although @ Purple with stacked lvl 7 HP, Power, Runes and the best lvl 60 gear I could afford, also stacked with lvl 7 buffing Enchants, she is a tough cookie) It just wouldn't be the same without her, she's been with me since lvl 5 (bought her off the AH as soon as reaching PE and got the Dog as my freebie)

• Options
    inthefade462inthefade462 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited December 2013
    you can't use companions in pvp so not sure how a stone is a waste because you don't pvp
  • Options
    ameristamerist Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited December 2013
    I have a Tactician GF, so I've been thinking that the Will'o'the'wisp might be a fun companion for the added Control and immunity.
  • Options
    edited December 2013
    GWF... Use Galeb Duhr, been good for me thus far in Destroy/Instigator/Sentinel builds. If your using your DPS gear set, run it. If you go full Tank mode, you can drop it for Rust Monster, etc.

:cool:
    va8Ru.gif
  • Options
    edited December 2013
    i'm curious if galeb grants 10% dmg bonus at 0% hp (ie dead) meaning you can never really get the 10%, and would instead fluctuate between 0%-6% and occasionally up to 8-9%. Also curious if it's based on your actual hp or if temp hit points lowers the dmg bonus.
  • Options
    edited December 2013
    i'm curious if galeb grants 10% dmg bonus at 0% hp (ie dead) meaning you can never really get the 10%, and would instead fluctuate between 0%-6% and occasionally up to 8-9%. Also curious if it's based on your actual hp or if temp hit points lowers the dmg bonus.
    From my understanding, for every 10% of your health you are missing you get 1% damage buff. At least that's what it seems to be. Obviously it's not always on, but it does increase my damage on my builds well enough for me to notice when I don't have him idle.
    va8Ru.gif
  • Options
    nwnghostnwnghost Member, Moderators, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Knight of the Feywild Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited December 2013
    It gives 10% damage when you have 25% hp left.

My GWF has 12% lifesteal and Unstoppable Recovery so my HP rarely ever drops below 60% for prolonged periods of time for Galeb Duhr to really be worth it.