test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

Woohoo!!! My fun adventures in PVP last night...

skatinskatin Member Posts: 58 Arc User
edited December 2013 in PvE Discussion
Last night PVPing was GREAT!

I needed about 6k more in glory, to hit the 24k mark, to buy the upcoming artifact (I know, I'm a slacker, put it off to the last day lol).

I started out PUGing. Played about 30 matches. Lost most of them, usually badly, but it was still fun. Most of the time, the others in my group were clueless, and each went a different direction LOL! Here we go again! SPLAT! BOOM! KAPLOWEEEEE! They cried and dropped group within a minute or two. Good riddens LOL. Now the fun begins!

Usually, it was just me and one other person. Without having to say anything, we switch strategies. One of us would distract, while the other would go cap a point. I'm a squishy mage, so they always come after me first anyways. So, I run out to a point, flash my tail, and here they come! I run run run LOL they chase me all over the map. Go around a pillar three times before they figure it out and backtrack to catch me! Wheeeee! Meanwhile, my teammate is off capping a point somewhere. Hilarious.

If the other group isn't that great, they will have loners, usually to sit on a point as guard. When they do, my teammate and I go drop that sucker. Then when all the enemies come charging in to retake the point, we are already off to take out another lone defender. I love it. Big fun.

Sometimes, my entire group will drop, leaving just me. Sometimes the other team is cool, and when I ask if I can get some points (say "Hi! Can I please get some points?"), sometimes they let me do it, sometimes not. When they do, I'll run to a point and cap it. They follow me, not attacking, and after I cap, they all move onto point to recap it. I run to the next one to cap (or just step off point to let them cap, then they step off, and I step back on... much quicker). If they won't let me get points, thats fine too, it's not like I'm gonna win, so change strategy. My goal now becomes to take out one of them before they drop me. Or I seek out loner guards. It's all great practice. My fingers are sore from soo much zook'n and duke'n.

Later that evening, my guild peeps start logging on, and GEE what a surprise, I'm not the only one who still needs glory points LOL. GROUP TIME! We form a group, and hit the PVP circuit.

Over the next few hours, we play about 30 matches or so, with breaks here and there. We win the majority of them, but not all. Over half of the matches, we crush badly, and the other team has losers that quit and drop group within a minute or two. Usually, the two left keep fighting, and we do too. Depending on if they are honestly trying, we will give them some opportunity to get some points. Maybe let them run to a far point and cap it, before we come barging in.

Sometimes the other players just stop playing, and stand on their rez point. We stand in front of them, and light off some fireworks, do push-ups, whatever. Most of our members go AFK at this point to get a drink, a smoke, or whatever. No worries here, and time to pass.

Sometimes the last remaining player will ask politely, and SAY "Hi, will you let me cap to get some points, please?" When they do, we say "sure go for it", and we follow the player around, letting point after point be capped, and we rush in afterwords to recap it. No fighting. Some of us go AFK. Need to pass some time again.

Then there are the times that we AS A GROUP lose... Sometimes it's to a PUG, that got lucky with the random grouping, and got 5 players that are all actually trying to work as a group. Good for them! It's fun, and we fight all the way to the last point. Sometimes we get creamed by another guild that is way better than us. I don't know if it's because they have better gear, probably not, or it's more likely that they are just more experienced, and better than we are. That's fine too. Even though they are stomping us into the ground, and beating us in points by two or three times, we keep fighting as hard as we can, all the way to the last point. This is EXCELLENT experience we are getting! Think about it, our team is working together, against another team that is working together, and they are kicking our tails, but we see the strategy they use, and we learn from it.

In one particularly brutal defeat, we were beat so bad, one of my boots was missing. I found it lodged in my nostril. I had zero kills, I died I think 24 times, but I did manage 17 assists, and I did rack up a high score. Most importantly though, I learned which of my strategies work, and which ones aren't so smart after all. I'm still healing from the bruising, but what I learned will last forever.

The morale of this story (are there any morals anymore on planet Earth in the year 2013???) is that if you SUCK at PVP, then you need practice. You won't get any practice if you quit every time your team is losing. Oh, and you won't get any practice if you only stay in matches when your team is winning... because THEY are doing the winning, not you. You still suck.

Oh, and our groups' gear? It's not uber. We're on ALTS!!!!!!!! Most of us have a mix of T1 gear with rank 5 stones. It's not as much the gear as it is experience, teamwork, cooperation, sticking together, and working as a team. Did I mention team? Pretty important. Naturally, we get called every foul name you can think of. Whatever. The cry baby earned that /ignore.

One final point: I have NEVER quit a PVP match. Never. The very thought of it offends me. Nobody in our guild has ever quit either. Every match is an opportunity to learn. Win some, lose some, but always try, always learn. That's why I play this game.

Anyone else have fun last night?
Post edited by skatin on

Comments

• Options
    tcarncetcarnce Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 976 Arc User
    edited December 2013
    play that much and still being able to type this whole story.
    but yes, watched harold & kumar escape from guantanamo bay.
    and today a very harold & kumar christmas (also movie)
    don`t take an example what happens in those movies ;p
  • Options
    msrebel1972msrebel1972 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Knight of the Feywild Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited December 2013
    I have to say, I love this post. I don't pvp at all because of the mostly negative atmosphere; but I love your attitude towards it. If more were like you, I'l consider pvp'ing again. Bravo.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    ikeepit3hunnaikeepit3hunna Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited December 2013
    Gigantic wall of text inbound o.o
    U R 2 E Z- SENT IV GWF undefeated 16k GS
    FaceRoller- regen recovery TR (put on the shelf for now) 14k GS
    Supreme CHAOS - IV GF (put on the shelf for now) 16k GS
    White Khalifa- tene/hp/regen CW (retired) 11k GS (tene)
    Death From Above- TANK ranger 16kGS
    (all halfling everything)

Proud rank 6 of: <Enemy Team>

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    jeepinjeepin Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited December 2013
    I still PuG PvP A LOT.... I enjoy it. Even tho the same 2 maps do get old. I look at it like playing chess.. The chess board never changes, but the results are always different. I PvP as a GF and GWF (occasionally on my CW). I too almost never leave. I have a handful of times, but usually as the last man standing, with no points, against an A-hole opposition that just wants to spawn camp me or use dirty little tactics (Pulling you off the platform with Arcane Singularity) to grief. It's not worth my time.

I enjoy the challenge of a good fight. I don't mind dying over and over if the opposition is fair. The one thing I absolutely despise... loathe... about PvP is the immaturity and dooshbaggery. This is PvP people. It is TEAM PvP... It's not 1 on 1. If you are on a team, and you break off to cap a point, and me and my TEAM come and kill you.... It's not personal... You don't have to call us newbs for doing it. (Never understood how a person is a newb for playing as a team player...) And whats a nob? ::shrug:: I see people in Zone chat FREAKING out on people for killing them.... Why?! This is PvP... Player vs Player.. The whole idea is using the tools at your disposal (abilities, team mates, etc) to beat the opposing team. So If I come up on you with 2 to 4 other people, I am suppose to NOT attack you because I'd be a nob if I do, because its 2-5 on 1? Im just trying to understand the rules here. BUT... If I am by myself and you are with your team, it is acceptable to kill ME 5 vs 1... But you aren't a nob, you are leet because that's the rules. :confused:: the logic behind peoples attitudes is just astonishing sometimes. Oh, and then I absolutely LOVE the good player (usually a DC or GWF) that has survivability for days and it really may take 2-3 people to kill them, get PISSED because it took 2-3 people to kill them... Don't be mad! Take it as a compliment that you are so good and can survive an onsaught! I LOL at people that get an attitude and talk trash because of their spec! Ok.. You healed yourself and kept yourself alive! Grats! But now IM the <font color="orange">HAMSTER</font> because it took 3 of us to kill you... And I suck and need to reroll.... But....I'm at the top of the leaderboard in points AND Kills.... Oh, sorry... I should have read those rules better.
  • Options
    tarmalentarmalen Member Posts: 1,020 Bounty Hunter
    edited December 2013
    Lol, practice against 15k impact shots or a 30k iceknife!

Eventually you will understand that if you want to go up against the best you need some enchants to match. (good luck!)

Strategy counts for nothing when you die in 3 seconds or less.
  • Options
    shadow5930shadow5930 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 502 Bounty Hunter
    edited December 2013
    impact can be dodged.
    ice knife can be dodged.

Learning how to play is fine. The OP said they were on alts, so they weren't top gear. They had fun, that's the important part.

In reply to Jeepin: They stopped AS from pulling off spawn camping. You're actually safe up there. I personally take it as a compliment when 3 people come to kill me. I also try to last as long as possible anyways, because afterall, that's 3 less helping on other points.

... the annoyance comes when none of my team is actually CAPPING another point.. but that's not for this thread.
  • Options
    tcarncetcarnce Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 976 Arc User
    edited December 2013
    i`m done again with the game, nothing new besides dailies. like that`s exciting ;p
    no gear improvements for me anywhere to get, and walking mainly in blues.(focussed stats)
    so another fail.
    and pvpwise, nothing new. cya
  • Options
    shadow5930shadow5930 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 502 Bounty Hunter
    edited December 2013
    k.

Since I'm first...
    ...canIhaveyourstuff???

random thread to pick for your 'I Quit' but whatever. The joy of a F2P game. Easy come, easy go. At least those of us who stay still enjoy it. :)
  • Options
    godlysoul1godlysoul1 Member Posts: 293 Bounty Hunter
    edited December 2013
    Nice reminder that PvP should be about fun and that it can still be a fun challenge when your team drops or you are losing. Nice post :)
  • Options
    manholiomanholio Member Posts: 493 Bounty Hunter
    edited December 2013
    Love your post, skatin. You have the right attitude! You can have 3 rounds of PvP where you get absolutely stomped, but that 4th round that goes to the wire in a really close match makes the whole thing worthwhile.