test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Professions Asset Packs

krailovkrailov Member Posts: 302 Arc User
edited December 2013 in General Discussion (PC)
I hate to use poor language in a post, but I am really angry over the Professions Asset Packs

I quote from the website "Need a few extra resources to complete your next profession task? Want to speed up your profession times with Rank 3 assets? Make sure you have everything you need to create the best items and gear with Professions Asset Packs and Professions Booster Packs. Both packs will be available at 25% off for this week only."

OK, so I go and spend REAL money on the pack, expecting some decent gear... I get one master ARTIFICER (lowest of all the master class in AD), and the remaining are all green level professions - AND not a single tool!!! NO mithiral or other Blue levels!!!

This is FALSE Advertising!!! There was NOT "...everything you need to create the best items and gear..." I am aware that the packs are chance, but hey, balanced toward the high end, not the bloody bottom of the scale!!!!! I expect a formula that would put in at least one tool asset, and really, it should be one purple/blue tool, one purple/blue professional, another purple/blue/green any, and then green any - YOU ARE CHARGING real money (yes I know that long-time players who have AD up the wazzoo can also convert to ZEN, but those of us starting out are paying REAL MONEY to support the game!!). I hate the chance thing anyway when spending ZEN (REAL MONEY), so either up the ante, or sell individual items! Cater to all your players, not just the ones who play the markets!!

Rant over (but still angry) :mad:

Might is not always right - the powerful sometimes forget that.

The Small Band
Post edited by krailov on

Comments

• rortierortie Member Posts: 178 Bounty Hunter
    edited November 2013
    I hear you. I bought one of each, got all useless <font color="orange">HAMSTER</font>. I do not spend any more.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    "Young people....." - Erik Lehnsherr
  • kolbe11kolbe11 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited November 2013
    First of all, "resources" are "people" while "assets" are "tools". The "Profession Booster Pack" is mostly about PEOPLE:

Price: Currently 225 (Normally 300) Zen
    Description:
    This pack contains:
    1 Epic or Rare Profession resource.
    1 Epic, Rare or Uncommon Profession Asset.
    2 Uncommon Assets or Resources.
    10 Common resources.

You want tools? You either got to buy A LOT of Profession Booster Packs (20+) or buy a few "Profession Asset Packs":

1 Epic or Rare Profession asset
    2 Epic, Rare or Uncommon Profession Assets.
    1 Rare or Uncommon Profession Asset.
    1 Uncommon Profession Asset.

I can empathize with your frustration, but this is Perfect World Entertainment we're talking about here. They run a business to make money, not give things away in one-shot short purchases.
    "It is said that idle hands are the Devil's tools: Idle geek hands, however, came up with gunpowder, nuclear weapons, and toilet plungers." -Illiad
  • krailovkrailov Member Posts: 302 Arc User
    edited November 2013
    You will see in the title I mention the Profession Asset pack, not the booster pack... Hence my rant.... I DID buy the Asset pack.

Plus they do NOT post the chances of Epic/Rare/Uncommon, so again, I feel ripped off, as putting down money should be encouraged, not punished....

The Small Band
  • bioshrikebioshrike Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 4,729 Arc User
    edited November 2013
    kolbe11 wrote: »
    First of all, "resources" are "people" while "assets" are "tools". The "Profession Booster Pack" is mostly about PEOPLE:

Price: Currently 225 (Normally 300) Zen
    Description:
    This pack contains:
    1 Epic or Rare Profession resource.
    1 Epic, Rare or Uncommon Profession Asset.
    2 Uncommon Assets or Resources.
    10 Common resources.

You want tools? You either got to buy A LOT of Profession Booster Packs (20+) or buy a few "Profession Asset Packs":

1 Epic or Rare Profession asset
    2 Epic, Rare or Uncommon Profession Assets.
    1 Rare or Uncommon Profession Asset.
    1 Uncommon Profession Asset.

I can empathize with your frustration, but this is Perfect World Entertainment we're talking about here. They run a business to make money, not give things away in one-shot short purchases.

Resources are the things that get consumed when you run a task. Assets do NOT get consumed - Assets are BOTH the workers AND the tools.

The only thing guaranteed with the asset pack is that you at least get 1 purple or blue asset. The rest can be green, which seems to be exactly what you got. Now, whether the particular assets are weighted toward one profession or another is unknown to me...

Assets you get from the Asset Pack:

1 epic or rare
    2 epic, rare, or uncommon
    1 rare or uncommon
    1 uncommon
    <::::::::::::::)xxxo <::::::::::::::)xxxo <::::::::::::)xxxxxxxx(:::::::::::> oxxx(::::::::::::::> oxxx(::::::::::::::>
    "Is it better to be feared or respected? I say, is it too much to ask for both?" -Tony Stark
    Official NW_Legit_Community Forums
  • eldartheldarth Member Posts: 4,494 Arc User
    edited November 2013
    You'd think they'd realize they would make more money if people didn't feel ripped-off with every such purchase.
    edited November 2013
    eldarth wrote: »
    You'd think they'd realize they would make more money if people didn't feel ripped-off with every such purchase.

The only way to avoid that would be to give everyone either the top reward, or the item of their choice, from the pack...
    <::::::::::::::)xxxo <::::::::::::::)xxxo <::::::::::::)xxxxxxxx(:::::::::::> oxxx(::::::::::::::> oxxx(::::::::::::::>
    "Is it better to be feared or respected? I say, is it too much to ask for both?" -Tony Stark
    edited November 2013
    bioshrike wrote: »
    The only way to avoid that would be to give everyone either the top reward, or the item of their choice, from the pack...

Not entirely - it is still chance as to what you would get asset-wise (smith, tool, adventurer, etc), I am just saying they should weight the purchases towards the higher end for the asset pack - it is a lot of money for 1 rare and 4 greens (which is what I got, mostly useless, none I needed, and I cannot sell them for enough AD to get what I would like), so I say reduce the greens, or reduce the cost, or reduce the chance for <font color="orange">HAMSTER</font>. They have the boxes and boosters for low-end chances - I pay more, I expect better.

I will no longer buy these packs when the chances are <font color="orange">HAMSTER</font>.

The Small Band
  • djoffer1djoffer1 Member Posts: 404 Arc User
    edited December 2013
    krailov wrote: »
    Not entirely - it is still chance as to what you would get asset-wise (smith, tool, adventurer, etc), I am just saying they should weight the purchases towards the higher end for the asset pack - it is a lot of money for 1 rare and 4 greens (which is what I got, mostly useless, none I needed, and I cannot sell them for enough AD to get what I would like), so I say reduce the greens, or reduce the cost, or reduce the chance for <font color="orange">HAMSTER</font>. They have the boxes and boosters for low-end chances - I pay more, I expect better.

I will no longer buy these packs when the chances are <font color="orange">HAMSTER</font>.

You do realise if they did that i would mean two Things:
    First of all, every1 and their mom would have acces to purple asset since they are not ever bound or spend, so yeah in a matter of weeks they would be dirt cheap on ah.
    Secondly since every1 have all the asset they need, they could more or less forget about ever selling any more of them...

Only thing they could do, would make the items BOP, and yeah you could probaly imagine the outcry that would cause...

And yeah another time, if you dont want to buy a lottery ticket, you should probaly just convert zen to AD and buy em off the AH, they are relative cheap(most of them)...
  • djoffer1djoffer1 Member Posts: 404 Arc User
    edited December 2013
    Btw i personaly have no idea why any1 would buy asset except for getting epic MC item(which are pointless unless you are a topend grinder) or to get third rank profession slot opened, which is also a Waste of ad/zen since the amount of AD u can make on one slot, will never cover the cost of 3 purple tools.
    edited December 2013
    krailov wrote: »

Are you saying it should be something like:

1 epic asset
    1 rare asset
    1 rare or uncommon asset
    2 uncommon assets

I don't think they'd ever give a 100% chance at an epic item...
    edited December 2013
    djoffer1 wrote: »
    Btw i personaly have no idea why any1 would buy asset except for getting epic MC item(which are pointless unless you are a topend grinder) or to get third rank profession slot opened, which is also a Waste of ad/zen since the amount of AD u can make on one slot, will never cover the cost of 3 purple tools.

Over time, you can make back the investment, by crafting gemmed shirts & pants...
  • melodywhrmelodywhr Member Posts: 4,220 Arc User
    edited December 2013
    you are taking a gamble when you purchased something that gives you a chance to get x item or this type of item... if you're looking for something specific, you should buy the specific items you want from the auction house.

i've made plenty of zen purchases and i don't feel ripped off. that's not to say that when i started playing this game that i made some mistakes... i blew a lot of my 600k AD from my guardian pack on removing enchants before i knew that you could just drag and drop a new enchant over it. my lessons have definitely been learned. some the hard way for sure.
  • ulkaurulkaur Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited December 2013
    You should be able to associate a professions pack or asset pack to a pack of trading cards. You usually get one rare and a chance at an epic/mythic in every pack. With Cryptic you could actually get a pack of <font color="orange">HAMSTER</font>(all uncommon and common), and i have.

I would suggest they break the professions down to different pack options, like a plate/mailsmith pack, tailor/leatherworker pack, similar to what they did for the artifice/weaponsmith and leadership packs. It would give you a straighter shot at what you are going for than what is available in the broad pack.
  • frishterfrishter Member Posts: 3,522 Arc User
    edited December 2013
    It's not misleading but the odds are pretty ****. I decided to blow €28 of zen for 16 boosters. I think I got 2 items worth more than the boosters on both zen sale and booster sale. Without any of the sales, no boosters would've given me any profit. Also got a couple of dragon eggs for purples... Of course its a risk, but for that investment I'd expect some benefit =/. I learned my lesson ^_^
  • sternerrsternerr Member Posts: 88 Arc User
    edited December 2013
    Neverwinter monetization is built around whales, if you can't pay 100$ a month then don't pay anything or move along.
    edited December 2013
    bioshrike wrote: »
    Are you saying it should be something like:

1 epic asset
    1 rare asset
    1 rare or uncommon asset
    2 uncommon assets

I don't think they'd ever give a 100% chance at an epic item...

I would be happy with:
    1 epic/rare Tool asset
    1 epic/rare Professional(person) asset
    1 rare or uncommon asset
    2 uncommon assets

At least when you then spend the money, you are guaranteed 2 x rare, and if you are REALLY, REALLY lucky, 2 x epic.

As another poster said, if they had specific packs (leadership, alchemy, etc), then they could possibly keep the existing stats (but I would still argue that it is a lot of money for 1 x rare and 4 x greens, with tools not even guaranteed in that mix).

If I pay money, I want a minimum guarantee of useful items that can be used/traded/sold.

The Small Band
    edited December 2013
    melodywhr wrote: »
    you are taking a gamble when you purchased something that gives you a chance to get x item or this type of item... if you're looking for something specific, you should buy the specific items you want from the auction house.

Which is fine for people that like the Auction House and/or the Zen/Diamond exchange. I do not. I would like to support the game by purchasing Zen, and then buying the items I would like (within reason). I cannot, therefore I feel ripped off when I buy a high-cost item that possibly could give me great stuff, but gave me ALL low-level stuff. I would have been happier buying keys for the equivalent amount of money - I would have had more "return on investment", and I accept the chance of boxes.

The point is they have burnt (me) the customer, and I will never purchase such a pack as sold, again. Many feel the same way, judging by the additional posts. Are they in this for the long haul, or short-term gain? Bad experiences can help you grow, but this just turns me off. I have also made other Zen purchases and do not feel ripped off with them, but in this instance, I do.

The Small Band
  • knightfalzknightfalz Member Posts: 1,261 Arc User
    edited December 2013

Before you purchased it you were told the contents of the pack are random.

Random means you might not get exactly what you want when you open it.

If you don't want a random result from your purchase don't buy a random pack.
  • sevdaisevdai Member Posts: 5 Arc User
    edited December 2013
    I don't even know how many of the packs I've bought over the first several months of the game. I do know that I bought quite a few. I ended up max leveling every profession and with what I got from those packs, managed to build up some of the purple assets needed to make the highest level stuff.

What comes in them is random, just as what comes in the lockboxes is random. There is no guarantee that you will get items for the professions that you need.

The pack itself says only that assets are the people and tools used in professions. It doesn't say that you will get one or the other. That alone should let you know it's random. I think you are placing far higher expectations on what is inside than what is warranted.
  • tang56tang56 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users, Neverwinter Knight of the Feywild Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited December 2013

It's the same dumb BS as booster packs in TCG games. There's a reason I don't buy those, nor will I buy these. Too much RNG, not enough reward. Your mileage may vary, some people obviously like the gambling aspect and find it exciting. Some people just have so much money it doesn't matter to them.
    RIP Neverwinter 26/06/2014
    edited December 2013
    knightfalz wrote: »
    ...If you don't want a random result from your purchase don't buy a random pack.

My bad I got suckered on advertising, eh! My point is, they do not offer anything else but random (and low-level at that!) for paying customers. If they want to keep us paying, they need to improve things - that is the point of this thread - it is to say I am not happy (others are also not happy), and to change it.

So I am supposed to buy Zen, convert it for a random amount of AD, and then buy what I want from a random market that may or may not have what I want, at random market rates... I am not happy with that situation either. This does not encourage me to spend real money.

You can buy specific boosts, mounts and companions for Zen, so I am requesting much better odds if I buy packs. I knew it was random, I just didn't expect complete bottom of the scale when paying - I was expecting better odds, based on the advertising.

The Small Band
  • ljz6ljz6 Member Posts: 74
    edited December 2013
    These threads are always lopsided. I'm okay with this system. I just went and bought 4 packs (with ad>zen conversion) and got some pretty nice stuff. 4 packs, no epics, but I was expecting that. I got items worth 20k, I got items worth 500-600k. I've made my AD back and I kept a green hammer and some other nice little items.

I am happy, plenty are happy. But that'll be ignored, because this is your thread. You want an increased chance at an epic? Farm, sell items, and make enough money to buy it. Why aren't you complaining about the drop rate for companions/mounts in the boxes? I'm legitimately curious as it gives you the obvious impression that it's random, but oh ****, you don't get it in 1 go.
  • sockmunkeysockmunkey Member Posts: 4,622 Arc User
    edited December 2013
    OP, I don't deny the odds are...lacking. But you opened one, just one single box. And based simply on that magnificent sample size you are willing to castigate the entire system.

Your ranting and anger seem just a tad premature.
  • pointsmanpointsman Member Posts: 2,327 Arc User
    edited December 2013
    No the OP is right, the asset packs are stupid. You get mostly artificer/weaponsmithing stuff, which also has the lowest prices in the AH because the supply is so high, because the loot table is so skewed to these results.

I bought a few too, but then just ended up grinding away to get the purple tools that I needed.
    edited December 2013
    The general rant is that for those of us that do not have AD or money to splurge on multiple packs (and I assume the one that bought 4 x packs realises that at current pricing that is $48 of real money, never mind exchange rates, etc), we only buy 1 or 2 items at most, so we want a good chance at decent gear if we are paying a significant amount of money. Maybe paying $15 is not significant to you, but it is to me.

I do not rant against the boxes, as at approx. a $1 per key, I do not expect great things - great if they happen, but meh. At $12 to $15 for 5 assets (that can range from bottom to top), that is not good enough. I expect at least one very good asset every time, based on the money spent. If I had gotten at least one green tool, or one blue professional that was worth something, I would not be ranting. Maybe not fully happy, but not ranting :)

As it stands, burnt now, will never buy asset pack as they currently sell = PW loses paying customer. I am not alone in this feeling. I am glad for those of you that like the gamble and can afford the time/money for multiple packs, I am just pointing out that there are a lot of us that don't.

The Small Band
  • frishterfrishter Member Posts: 3,522 Arc User
    edited December 2013
    sockmunkey wrote: »
    OP, I don't deny the odds are...lacking. But you opened one, just one single box. And based simply on that magnificent sample size you are willing to castigate the entire system.

Your ranting and anger seem just a tad premature.
    To be fair, for the price of the asset pack, you could buy half a standalone game itself. So yeah the rewards are pretty crappy when you're:
    1) Not guarenteed an epic
    2) Even if you did get an epic, it can be something entirely useless/cheaper on the AH

I also think it's a little unfair that you can't find out the odds. Usually with any for of gambling theres a way to find out, i suspect a 1:4:16 on green (if applicable):blue:purple. I thought the cost was just too much to get one myself and opted for more boosters which I thought would give me the better odds when buying 16 of them. Worst decision ever. I've supported the game and bought other items, none are things that I feel are worth what I paid. So I agree that 1 pack is a little baseless, but for the money he should be entitled to some times worth something. Kind of wished that I stayed as a free2player.
  • siestrionsiestrion Member Posts: 30 Arc User
    edited December 2013
    I'm with the OP. Asset Packs are garbage. When the game was brand new I bought about 15 Asset Packs (Not Boosters). Yes... I spent a lot of money at game start, though the Hero of the North pack I did not think was worth the initial investment, as opposed to the Guardian + a lot of zen. 1 asset pack had an epic (heh... anvil.. one of the worst resell value). Rest was junk. I have not purchased asset packs since. Booster Packs, I'm mostly okay with what I have received. But the Asset Packs, I found sorely lacking. It's a lot of zen for random reward across a lot of professions. They would be a lot nicer, though still not great in my opinion, if you could pick a particular profession that the pack was for.
  • melodywhrmelodywhr Member Posts: 4,220 Arc User
    edited December 2013
    thank you, everyone, for the feedback. i'm going to add one more thing before i close this thread to stop the flames from getting too high. professions asset packs and booster packs are not required to play the game. they are a convenience. for someone with minor expenses for such a purchase, it's probably not a gamble you want to make. thanks!
This discussion has been closed.