test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Companions

tybrus8tybrus8 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users Posts: 114 Bounty Hunter
edited December 2013 in PvE Discussion
Soo,
those who have been on test server, come mod 2 what will be the top 10 companions.
Post edited by tybrus8 on

Comments

• rabbinicusrabbinicus Member Posts: 1,822 Arc User
    edited November 2013
    Depends entirely on the character, build, and playstyle. Different people will find different companions and passive bonuses more useful than others will.

Have you been trying them on the test server or checked out the threads about it?
    The right to command is earned through duty, the privilege of rank is service.

• melodywhrmelodywhr Member Posts: 4,220 Arc User
    edited November 2013
    anyone know if you can gain the benefits of multiples of the same kind of companion? like having four skeletal dogs in your active slots?
  • manholiomanholio Member Posts: 493 Bounty Hunter
    edited November 2013
    melodywhr wrote: »
    anyone know if you can gain the benefits of multiples of the same kind of companion? like having four skeletal dogs in your active slots?

From what I understand, you will only get the bonus from the first companion if you have more than one of the same type.
  • saerraelsaerrael Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited November 2013
    melodywhr wrote: »

You can only have one of one kind of companion in your active slots.
  • vasdamasvasdamas Member Posts: 2,461 Arc User
    edited November 2013
    Got a question as well.

What would be the best 4 companions for Sword Coast Adventures? I am running it with CIW, Neverember guard, Faithful initiate and a Skeleton and kind of feel that I will need to replace the guard and skeleton with something else. Drow assasin and Thayan renegade maybe
  • tickdofftickdoff Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited December 2013
    vasdamas wrote: »
    Got a question as well.

What would be the best 4 companions for Sword Coast Adventures? I am running it with CIW, Neverember guard, Faithful initiate and a Skeleton and kind of feel that I will need to replace the guard and skeleton with something else. Drow assasin and Thayan renegade maybe

Partly depends on the dungeon and which random encounters you get. To have the best chance you would want to have a mix of companions to cover the possible areas: Combat (shields), Magic (swirls), Perception (starburst/eye), and Thievery (key). I found that a purple quality Skeleton Warrior from the halloween event was an absolute beast and easily cleared most of the encounters I sent him on. Of course that was on test where I had no problem upgrading him to purple quality (love the extra AD I have there). The Ioun Stones were also pretty solid (even if the idea of a small flying rock engaging in combat and disarming traps is exceptionally strange).

Additionally, they have already adjusted the "dice" that each companion gets, and I would not be surprised if they are doing some additional tweaking now as well. Your best bet is to be patient, see exactly how it works when it "goes live" and *then* get the companions that you want. Of course you would then run the risk of the companions you want becoming much more expensive, but you can't have everything.
  • dardovedardove Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users, Neverwinter Knight of the Feywild Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited December 2013
    vasdamas wrote: »
    Got a question as well.

4 purples with sets of dice.

I don't think anyone has made a list of which companions have which type of dice yet.
  • ladysylvialadysylvia Member Posts: 946 Bounty Hunter
    edited December 2013
    saerrael wrote: »
    You can only have one of one kind of companion in your active slots.

That's not correct. You can have 3-5 of the same companion(for example 3-5 cleric disciple) except 'You can only have 1 of this companion on your account' companions like dire wolf. If they don't fix the bug of having them in the slots before update, then it will be that you have them until you make them idle and then they only don't.
  • vasdamasvasdamas Member Posts: 2,461 Arc User
    edited December 2013
    tickdoff wrote: »
    Partly depends on the dungeon and which random encounters you get. To have the best chance you would want to have a mix of companions to cover the possible areas: Combat (shields), Magic (swirls), Perception (starburst/eye), and Thievery (key). I found that a purple quality Skeleton Warrior from the halloween event was an absolute beast and easily cleared most of the encounters I sent him on. Of course that was on test where I had no problem upgrading him to purple quality (love the extra AD I have there). The Ioun Stones were also pretty solid (even if the idea of a small flying rock engaging in combat and disarming traps is exceptionally strange).

Additionally, they have already adjusted the "dice" that each companion gets, and I would not be surprised if they are doing some additional tweaking now as well. Your best bet is to be patient, see exactly how it works when it "goes live" and *then* get the companions that you want. Of course you would then run the risk of the companions you want becoming much more expensive, but you can't have everything.
    Yeah, dice set for skeletal companion is kind of ...well, jack-of-all trades. The tasks he can't roll he just forces with a crit most of the time. As well as my Cold Iron Warrior (btw does anybody know why this one has a Lolth blessing? lol) which never yet failed at anything, of course if I wasn't trying to fail intentionally :P
    As for Neverember guard and faithful initiate I have. The Guard is just not cappable of doing any other task besides "test of strength" ones, which I can't even find in the last dungeon sometimes. The Faithful initiate is good, but still, would prefer that thayan mage in the nearest future (he has awesome look at lvl 30 ^^)

Hope the things will change after it goes life though. Also, still need to figure out how to get that mercenary drow companion.