test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

Fix guard meter

gdante7111111gdante7111111 Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 227 Arc User
edited November 2013 in PvE Discussion
Hey gf guard meter goes down to fast, just one hit and it is 2 thirds of the way down. Gf is useless because of this fix it. Also some of the paragon feats for Gf dont do what it says, or dont work the way they are supposed to.

P.S As like paragon feats also some heroic feats dont do what it says, or dont work the way they are supposed to.
Post edited by gdante7111111 on

Comments

• Options
    ranncoreranncore Member, Moderators, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Knight of the Feywild Users Posts: 2,508
    edited November 2013
    I honestly don't have any problems maintaining my guard meter - it feels pretty much infinite on the toon I built for it.

Maybe - just maybe - it's your play style.
  • Options
    dkcandydkcandy Member Posts: 1,555 Bounty Hunter
    edited November 2013
    ranncore wrote: »
    I honestly don't have any problems maintaining my guard meter - it feels pretty much infinite on the toon I built for it.

Don't taunt the new players, let them QQ about their inexperience with the class.
  • Options
    valetudo78valetudo78 Member Posts: 189 Arc User
    edited November 2013
    I dont have a problem with my meter breaking, but I have noticed a small delay in my shield that wasnt around before.
  • Options
    sslothzzsslothzz Member Posts: 224 Arc User
    edited November 2013
    You cannot block absolutely everything. You've got defence to mitigate, deflect to avoid, and regeneration to regain health. Although last is optional imho, Fighter's Recovery is all you need for heal now. After module 2 is live, the changes towards regen must be made probably (due to lower AP gain).
    So don't be afraid to take some damage face-to-face. Also, Into the Fray not only buffs your party, but also recovers your guard. Go to the class forum to read some cool and helpful stuff about GFs :)
  • Options
    kurisantonkurisanton Member Posts: 64
    edited November 2013
    With the right gear (full Gauntlegrym set) and the 5% shield buff passive guard meter doesnt go down all that fast unless you have a whole bunch of little creatures hitting your shield. Its even easier with the proper talent in the protector tree (although most GFs run Conqerer purely for the massive GS bonus which also paradoxically makes them worse at our common role)

My advice is when you go into a group of enemies, start with enforced threat to mark everything and get some initial aggro then go for your positioning. Your dps should move in to take out all the small targets first so you dont have so many hits on your shield. If they arent doing that explain the situation to them. It also helps for a CW to use singularity or entangling in their tab slot to pull them together for easier stabbing

Also remember that you really only need to block the red hits or hits that will knock you down/back. Dont be afraid of taking a normal hit to use tide of iron, enforced threat, or shield bash to get some guard meter back up if it means the difference between guard being broken or not broken. If you have decent mitigation you wont get hit hard and even then you can always use a potion to recover (assuming the cleric isnt putting astral shield under you the whole fight)

If you havnt guessed I just dont agree that we need more guard meter. However if you were to say we need more ways to generate threat, more mitigation abilities/talents, or higher regeneration gear I would agree with you. The GF class has problems but IMO the amount of shield block we get is not one of them
  • Options
    edited November 2013
    What I said is correct it goes down to fast it should be like a brick wall, no its like plaster thick. Gf because of this is useless, that is one of the things GF need fixing. and like I said the heroic and paragon feats need fixing, for example ubiquitous shield it protects you from combat advantage. I have that to max it does nothing, another I will choose an heroic feat strength focus it increases the effectiveness of strength. It doesnt do that, that is one of the reasons GF does little damage because strength focus. Doesnt do what it says it does. Like I said already some heroic and paragon feats dont do what they say, or dont work the way they are supposed too.

Fix guard meter and some heroic and paragon paths, That is the reason GF and GWF are useless because guard meter for GF and some heroic and paragon paths for GF and GWF are broken.

P.S I would make a video of proof but I dont have a hd video recorder software.
  • Options
    ranncoreranncore Member, Moderators, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Knight of the Feywild Users Posts: 2,508
    edited November 2013
    snip

If my guard meter works and yours doesn't, it's because of you, not the guard. Honestly I can't even tell if you're trolling or not now because so much of that is downright wrong.
  • Options
    edited November 2013
    I wont say more then I already said I would show proof but like I already said I dont have a software that records in hd.
  • Options
    edited November 2013
    What I said is correct it goes down to fast it should be like a brick wall, no its like plaster thick. Gf because of this is useless, that is one of the things GF need fixing. and like I said the heroic and paragon feats need fixing, for example ubiquitous shield it protects you from combat advantage. I have that to max it does nothing, another I will choose an heroic feat strength focus it increases the effectiveness of strength. It doesnt do that, that is one of the reasons GF does little damage because strength focus. Doesnt do what it says it does. Like I said already some heroic and paragon feats dont do what they say, or dont work the way they are supposed too.

Fix guard meter and some heroic and paragon paths, That is the reason GF and GWF are useless because guard meter for GF and some heroic and paragon paths for GF and GWF are broken.

P.S I would make a video of proof but I dont have a hd video recorder software.

Could you explain to us what situation youre in when you find your shield block being instantly or quickly broken? What abilities your using (at will, encounter, daily, and passive), what kind of positioning your using, what gear you're using, and what your team mates are doing are all important factors. When we know the details of your fighting style and what encounters youre doing when experiencing these constant breaks we may be able to offer better advice. Right now theres just to little information to help you

Until you've done that then Im afraid I just have to agree to disagree. My experiences are the exact opposite of what you claim and while Im not the best GF on the game Im certainly no slouch either
  • Options
    exelans500exelans500 Member Posts: 3 Arc User
    edited November 2013
    Hello everyone.I want to get your attention to a new and different point.Why can other classes can see GF's guard meter.I am a GF player and this disturbs me a lot.For example because other classes can see my guard meter they can choose the perfect time to attack.I can't see a GWF's rage meter or a rogue's stealth meter.I wonder why is thi like that.I think this is unfair..
  • Options
    edited November 2013
    exelans500 wrote: »
    Hello everyone.I want to get your attention to a new and different point.Why can other classes can see GF's guard meter.I am a GF player and this disturbs me a lot.For example because other classes can see my guard meter they can choose the perfect time to attack.I can't see a GWF's rage meter or a rogue's stealth meter.I wonder why is thi like that.I think this is unfair..

Thats actually a very good question. Make a new thread instead of derailing this one and Ill be happy to talk about it
  • Options
    hinageshi79hinageshi79 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 246 Bounty Hunter
    edited November 2013

It happen often that when someone post some problem about GF, someone else reply how good he is with GF. This is annoying and counterproductive couse no one want speak how cool are you, or him, and this kind of reply can stray the devp's attention far from the real problem.

Maybe - just maybe - it's YOUR play style: maybe you taunt 2 or 3 mobs, but i'm used to have 10-15 mobs around me that attack me (so i do my tanking job) and my shield often last 1 second because in that second i block many attack all in the same time. In t1 dungeon i don't have problems, but in many t2 no fight last 1 second and for the rest of the fight it is very hard to recover gaurd meter and people feel like they don't have a shield at all. Plus, i remember you that shield often don't raise up, or when it is up, it go down even if guard meter is not empty, and can not block cc. So, it is normal that people say:
    sslothzz wrote: »
    You cannot block absolutely everything.

So the problem exist. I didn't try the new upcoming dungeon with module 2, but they said it will be the most difficult and so the people unsatisfied with block will become more than now.

Also I agree with this:

Again, I take this opportunity to remeber to devps that IT IS TIME TO SOLVE GF PROBLEMS AND BUGS...
  • Options
    colonelwingcolonelwing Member Posts: 1,448 Arc User
    edited November 2013
    It happen often that when someone post some problem about GF, someone else reply how good he is with GF. This is annoying and counterproductive couse no one want speak how cool are you, or him, and this kind of reply can stray the devp's attention far from the real problem.

Maybe - just maybe - it's YOUR play style: maybe you taunt 2 or 3 mobs, but i'm used to have 10-15 mobs around me that attack me (so i do my tanking job) and my shield often last 1 second because in that second i block many attack all in the same time. In t1 dungeon i don't have problems, but in many t2 no fight last 1 second and for the rest of the fight it is very hard to recover gaurd meter and people feel like they don't have a shield at all. Plus, i remember you that shield often don't raise up, or when it is up, it go down even if guard meter is not empty, and can not block cc. So, it is normal that people say:

So the problem exist. I didn't try the new upcoming dungeon with module 2, but they said it will be the most difficult and so the people unsatisfied with block will become more than now.

Also I agree with this:

Again, I take this opportunity to remeber to devps that IT IS TIME TO SOLVE GF PROBLEMS AND BUGS...

You are having trouble, with conprehending what people are trying to say.

Sloth says, "you cannot block absolutely everything" this means > It is naive, to think everything should be blocked. this means > block is working as intended. Is what he was trying to tell you...

On topic, my first toon was a GF and my shield meter barely went down, regardless of how many attacks i had incoming. However, i think the real issue is, that people do not spec properly and then complain about having superb dps but not enough suvivability.

• Options
    sslothzzsslothzz Member Posts: 224 Arc User
    edited November 2013
    It is a very good point. I would love to see a new topic discussing this specific issue.
  • Options
    layback16layback16 Member Posts: 31
    edited November 2013
    would not be necessary fix the shield, but could increase more guard meter.

actually in the current pvp shield breaks very fast
    Teahupoo, GF TANK PVP (Stoped in time) :mad:

Teahup00, HR PVE :o
  • Options
    knightfalzknightfalz Member Posts: 1,261 Arc User
    edited November 2013
    Hey gf guard meter goes down to fast, just one hit and it is 2 thirds of the way down. Gf is useless because of this fix it. Also some of the paragon feats for Gf dont do what it says, or dont work the way they are supposed to.

If you want a strong guard meter you have to build your GF accordingly.

I have several GF, with different specs. There is a great deal of difference between guard meters on the one with the Protector tree and the others. There is also a class feature and some encounters that boost the effectiveness of your Guard meter:

Shield Talent, Iron Warrior, Into the Fray

However, the more effort you spend on maintaining a strong guard meter, the less you'll be able to focus on other elements of your character, like damage and such. So, you will have to figure out the balance of things that works for you.
  • Options
    edited November 2013
    layback16 wrote: »
    actually in the current pvp shield breaks very fast

PvP is the only place I have trouble maintaining Guard, but that's mostly because Enforced Threat is useless there except to regenerate guard and so it never gets slotted, and Tide of Iron is too hard to use on players.
  • Options
    slushpsychoslushpsycho Member Posts: 657 Bounty Hunter
    edited November 2013
    PvP is the only place I have trouble maintaining Guard, but that's mostly because Enforced Threat is useless there except to regenerate guard and so it never gets slotted, and Tide of Iron is too hard to use on players.
    Exactly, whoever thinks that the current guard meter is fine are those don't PVP.

Guard Meter is way too sensitive to certain small hits at the moment, which makes it insanely hard to block things when u have 2 players on u.

They should really balance and redo the ratio between incoming dmg and guard meter lost.
    Quick example, when I block a Lashing Blade from A TR my meter only went down by a small margin, but when I took a full rotation of Duelist's Fury from a TR I pretty much lost all meter. The maths does not seem to apply correctly here since lashing blade is around 12k dmg if crit, and a full rotation of DF is no where near that amount of dmg.
  • Options
    ayrouxayroux Member Posts: 4,271 Arc User
    edited November 2013
    Exactly, whoever thinks that the current guard meter is fine are those don't PVP.

Guard Meter is way too sensitive to certain small hits at the moment, which makes it insanely hard to block things when u have 2 players on u.

They should really balance and redo the ratio between incoming dmg and guard meter lost.
    Quick example, when I block a Lashing Blade from A TR my meter only went down by a small margin, but when I took a full rotation of Duelist's Fury from a TR I pretty much lost all meter. The maths does not seem to apply correctly here since lashing blade is around 12k dmg if crit, and a full rotation of DF is no where near that amount of dmg.

Honestly, I dont know how viable this would be, but I would much rather just have the guard meter block X damage period.

Each shield has a "damage amount" that gets blocked so if that damage is dealt in 1 hit or 10 it blocks the same amount of damage period. Maybe it can just be tied to AC, or maybe it is a new stat on each shield who knows.

But having a set damage amount IMO would be more fun and I think more interesting.... I mean if I get crit for 20k, I probably shouldnt have much guard meter left, if I get hit 6-7 times for like 1000 each, I should probably still have some guard meter left..... Right now its the reverse of that and I dont understand why......

Small hits should "glance" off my shield and not do much, large hits would take much more to block and therefore take more of my meter...
  • Options
    slushpsychoslushpsycho Member Posts: 657 Bounty Hunter
    edited November 2013
    ayroux wrote: »
    Honestly, I dont know how viable this would be, but I would much rather just have the guard meter block X damage period.

Each shield has a "damage amount" that gets blocked so if that damage is dealt in 1 hit or 10 it blocks the same amount of damage period. Maybe it can just be tied to AC, or maybe it is a new stat on each shield who knows.

But having a set damage amount IMO would be more fun and I think more interesting.... I mean if I get crit for 20k, I probably shouldnt have much guard meter left, if I get hit 6-7 times for like 1000 each, I should probably still have some guard meter left..... Right now its the reverse of that and I dont understand why......

Small hits should "glance" off my shield and not do much, large hits would take much more to block and therefore take more of my meter...
    I think u misread me? I am trying to express the same idea as u do. small hits = small meter lost, big hits = big meter lost