test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

A legitamate QQ - Physical location of gamers determines PvP 1on1 outcome

kipp73kipp73 Member Posts: 0 Arc User
edited November 2013 in PvE Discussion
Try living in Australia. Awesome place for pretty much everything, except being a competitive gamer.
300-400 ping FLAT as normal... you should try pvp with that kind of ping.

Scenario:
Got the jump on someone? This guy is so toast... first entangle is mine.. you going down buddy..
Animation starts to roll for me, I see my whimpering foe grabbing at his throat and being lifted into the air. Now to start the pain train.. But wait, whats this? Now my adversary has both feet on the ground and now its ME thats entangled now? Its me that got freeze train-rolled?

A 400 ping to server is pretty much flat rate here. In pve this is manageable, although clearly not ideal. In pvp.. I get rolled by guys who have bad skill rotations / encounter purely based on latency. If i see what they do 400ms after they do it, how can i be expected to competently 1v1 anyone? Most gamers are not in Australia (which has good internal internet speeds/network, but once we need to go global, its like we are routed through Kenya via Turkmenistan).

Wherever I am in the pvp arena, where i am in my clientside instance is not where I am serverside until 0.4s afterwards. So my adversary has 0.4secs period (less his ping, which if he is in US will likely be 50-75ms) in which to have a permanent advantage.. He can lunging strike/frontline surge/dashing/shout etc me and i dont see it for almost half a second. His move/dodge is registered serverside (ie its then FACT) way before I see it coming.

So, my attempt to entangle a foe may occur for me, from my perspective, way ahead of his first move.. but.. his first move will hit the server before mine. ie - Im disadvantaged.

/rant
MonZaah // Bihlkoh // KvelertaK

DreadnoughT Guild
Post edited by kipp73 on

Comments

• benskix2benskix2 Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 674 Arc User
    edited November 2013
    Sadly the only fix for this is to move. They could throttle everyone's ping to match yours but that would be making everyone else's experience worse just for a few peoples sake. I think the servers are in the Boston area, so players in the northeast U.S. have an advantage, but there is no solution that doesn't cost cryptic more money and split the player base and hurt the game overall.
  • fondlezfondlez Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited November 2013
    benskix2 wrote: »
    Sadly the only fix for this is to move. They could throttle everyone's ping to match yours but that would be making everyone else's experience worse just for a few peoples sake. I think the servers are in the Boston area, so players in the northeast U.S. have an advantage, but there is no solution that doesn't cost cryptic more money and split the player base and hurt the game overall.

The single server architecture is in California. They also have, or used to have, proxies to US East coast and one somewhere in Europe. That's why doing a ping or traceroute may lead you to think the servers are in Boston etc.

Another hint is that all server maintenance is always quoted initially in PST time zone.
  • f1ashreap6rf1ashreap6r Member Posts: 12 Arc User
    edited November 2013
    You should try WTFast. I'm from the Philippines and helps reduce my ping. Check it out.
  • godlysoul1godlysoul1 Member Posts: 293 Bounty Hunter
    edited November 2013
    Could play GF or GWF and not need to worry about first hit or being 1 comboed :P
  • unclesalty1unclesalty1 Member Posts: 11 Arc User
    edited November 2013
    godlysoul1 wrote: »
    Could play GF or GWF and not need to worry about first hit or being 1 comboed :P

Hi, you must be new!
  • vexus99vexus99 Member Posts: 72 Arc User
    edited November 2013
    How can I tell my ping in game?

I know when I started on Mindflayer in Beta my game felt laggy, so I switched servers to Dragon during Beta where my ping felt better. Since the darned server-merge my game is laggy again and it's ticking me off. Is there a command or tool I can use to measure my ping in-game?
  • hexanna22hexanna22 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Knight of the Feywild Users Posts: 204 Bounty Hunter
    edited November 2013
    I am right here in CA, and I even get crazy also reaction time sometimes where I push my buttons and nothing happens for a bit..
    2 things I did:
    Even tho I have a high end PC with 16 gb of ram, etc, I reduced my graphics settings overall...This made my Ice Knife cast a lot faster at least visually to me lol..

And as a CW I never cast entangle first, I cast ROE...but I have enough HP to live thru most other CWs chokes, and come back and get them. ( obviously if they have perfect everything and daily ready, it is different)
  • xtraordinary91xtraordinary91 Member Posts: 323 Bounty Hunter
    edited November 2013
    kipp73 wrote: »
    Try living in Australia. Awesome place for pretty much everything, except being a competitive gamer.
    300-400 ping FLAT as normal... you should try pvp with that kind of ping.

Scenario:
    Got the jump on someone? This guy is so toast... first entangle is mine.. you going down buddy..
    Animation starts to roll for me, I see my whimpering foe grabbing at his throat and being lifted into the air. Now to start the pain train.. But wait, whats this? Now my adversary has both feet on the ground and now its ME thats entangled now? Its me that got freeze train-rolled?

A 400 ping to server is pretty much flat rate here. In pve this is manageable, although clearly not ideal. In pvp.. I get rolled by guys who have bad skill rotations / encounter purely based on latency. If i see what they do 400ms after they do it, how can i be expected to competently 1v1 anyone? Most gamers are not in Australia (which has good internal internet speeds/network, but once we need to go global, its like we are routed through Kenya via Turkmenistan).

Wherever I am in the pvp arena, where i am in my clientside instance is not where I am serverside until 0.4s afterwards. So my adversary has 0.4secs period (less his ping, which if he is in US will likely be 50-75ms) in which to have a permanent advantage.. He can lunging strike/frontline surge/dashing/shout etc me and i dont see it for almost half a second. His move/dodge is registered serverside (ie its then FACT) way before I see it coming.

So, my attempt to entangle a foe may occur for me, from my perspective, way ahead of his first move.. but.. his first move will hit the server before mine. ie - Im disadvantaged.

/rant

You have my sympathies you really do. (Brisbane Here) And playing a Cw I know exactly how you feel sometimes. That unfortunately is just the name of the game. However in saying that, the slight Lag can help us more often then not as well. I cannot mention the amount of times that I have teleported through a GF only for Bull rush to knock me prone behind him, pushing me further than my teleport as well. And then laugh as said GF gets confused as to where I went.

It can help just as much as it hinders.

My main advice to you: Learn when to dodge. Especially in Cw v Cw fights, the Cw that Dodges better will win 90% of the time.

Also: Lol at my Iphones 3G Personal hotspot giving me a higher download speed then my ADSL 2+. Thats just hilarious.
    Desidus@Xtraordinary91
    19.9k PvP Control Wizard
    <Complaints Department>
  • kipp73kipp73 Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited November 2013
    xtra, ive sent u a pm.

I have played this game for almost 6 months and play pvp with a cw and a gf. The issue here isnt what tactics i need to get around this. That is an inevitability that I have to adopt and accommodate for. The issue is that it hurts getting my a$$ handed to me simply because of latency. Im certainly not a pro pvp-player, but our guild has some players who are easily top 10% skill bracket in the game and we have been doing a lot more pvp recently. We can tell the good and the bad players on the other team within a few moments of engaging.

Latency means that we cant really get a proper 1 on 1 challenge with the good players, and equally we often get trounced by the sub par enemy (guys that play with unconventional encounters, or who have low dps)

I am completely aware that a single server model game is gonna have winners and losers. Its just a shame that geography/distance from servers can act in such a detrimental way. Im originally from Northern Ireland and am used to microscopic pings to all the games that i used to play. High ping on that fav twitch shooter? change server, problem solved.

Anyway. I know there is nothing that can be done per se, other than wait until routing technology improves and global pings shrink.
    MonZaah // Bihlkoh // KvelertaK

DreadnoughT Guild