test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

When this game starts getting fun?

sternerrsternerr Member Posts: 88 Arc User
edited November 2013 in General Discussion (PC)
So, I never played any MMORPG before, and one day I was googling for neverwinter nights 3 and stumbled upon this. I decided to give the game a try and rolled a GF. Hearing that "real game starts at level cap" I patiently leveled through 1-60 which wasn't too exciting, but I mostly liked it nevertheless because watching all those green pastures one hour before sleep made me kinda serene, and I could also play a drinking game each time I heard a terrible fake scottish accent.

At level 60 I waited few days until my platesmithing hit level 20, which I then realised was a total waste of time I could use for leveling leadership. Then I bought purple gear for few thousands AD on auction and rushed through level 60 dungeons with a bunch of strangers who were polite enough to say "Hi" and "thx" before leaving the group, never to be seen again. I then tried Feywild. a.k.a. "3 Round Meadows To Grind Trolls And Cyclopes" for few days and got 350+ to deflection and a blue shield. Now someone tell me please when things are actually start getting exciting, I'm beginning to worry.
Post edited by sternerr on

Comments

• Options
    clearlyavirginclearlyavirgin Banned Users, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 163 Bounty Hunter
    edited November 2013
    Usually end game players find their satisfaction in lvl 60 pvp.
  • Options
    edited November 2013
    But I thought it was universally accepted that pvp is not the strongest point of neverwinter.
  • Options
    valwrynvalwryn Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 1,620 Arc User
    edited November 2013
    sternerr wrote: »
    But I thought it was universally accepted that pvp is not the strongest point of neverwinter.

Only in the minds of the demented think this is a myth!!!! :rolleyes:
  • Options
    rortierortie Member Posts: 178 Bounty Hunter
    edited November 2013
    Usually end game players find their satisfaction in lvl 60 pvp.

That's not my experience. Myself and the majority of the few other players I regularly speak with do not PvP at all. I have two lvl 60 characters and enough fun with PvE, DDs and Skirms.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    "Young people....." - Erik Lehnsherr
  • Options
    aaronjfaaronjf Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited November 2013
    So, I never played any MMORPG before, and one day I was googling for neverwinter nights 3 and stumbled upon this. I decided to give the game a try and rolled a GF. Hearing that "real game starts at level cap" I patiently leveled through 1-60 which wasn't too exciting, but I mostly liked it nevertheless because watching all those green pastures one hour before sleep made me kinda serene, and I could also play a drinking game each time I heard a terrible fake scottish accent.

At level 60 I waited few days until my platesmithing hit level 20, which I then realised was a total waste of time I could use for leveling leadership. Then I bought purple gear for few thousands AD on auction and rushed through level 60 dungeons with a bunch of strangers who were polite enough to say "Hi" and "thx" before leaving the group, never to be seen again. I then tried Feywild. a.k.a. "3 Round Meadows To Grind Trolls And Cyclopes" for few days and got 350+ to deflection and a blue shield. Now someone tell me please when things are actually start getting exciting, I'm beginning to worry.
    In most games, the true fun begins at the level cap. That can only be said when a game has a true end game. Neverwinters end game is almost non existent. Definitely not something that could be compared to WoW, Tera, EQ, Eq2 etc.. The end game of nw is as follows. Buy gear on the ah so you can get a gear score of 10-12k in order to run dungeons that require a gs of 8k or so.. Run dungeons to get loot to sell. Rinse and repeat. Sure, you can increase the time/fun spent at lvl 60 by not buying any gear.. Be prepared to fail a lot on not so tough dungeons though. This game is kind of backwards. I would really like to see people run a pug w/ the dungeons minimum gear score..
    If you are one who enjoys PvP, prepare to be frustrated. Lack of variety and bots make PvP anything but enjoyable in my eyes..
  • Options
    clearlyavirginclearlyavirgin Banned Users, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 163 Bounty Hunter
    edited November 2013
    What do people mostly complain about? PvP, what are the top known guilds? PvP guilds, Who are the top known players? PvPers.

I think you get what I'm saying here.
  • Options
    edited November 2013
    aaronjf wrote: »
    Sure, you can increase the time/fun spent at lvl 60 by not buying any gear.. Be prepared to fail a lot on not so tough dungeons though. This game is kind of backwards.

That's basically what freaks me out most in neverwinter. I can imagine a lot of self-imposed challenges, like trying to solo dungeons in level-appropriate gear or put my gear in backpack, farm for greens for 1 hour and then try to survive with them in pvp etc, but I usually expect a game-designer to think about such things for me. So far game works like this: swim on the torrent of XP to level 60, buy out gear on AH, run few dungeons and get bored.

I guess since there people who put out 200$ on packs there is really something that I missed, so I keep searching.
  • Options
    ott0madduxott0maddux Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 204 Bounty Hunter
    edited November 2013
    What do people mostly complain about? PvP, what are the top known guilds? PvP guilds, Who are the top known players? PvPers.

I think you get what I'm saying here.

I don't. I don't know any pvpers
  • Options
    morsitansmorsitans Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 1,284 Bounty Hunter
    edited November 2013
    The two are not mutually exclusive. You can have an utterly god-awful PvP system and it will still be more talked about and more 'lol popular guild'-based than the PvE side purely because it's competitive. Beating a computer isn't as epeen enhancing as beating some other dude you've never met.

You could make a game featuring epic, honed, finely balanced PvE content requiring top notch communication and out-of-the-box thinking, and PvP featuring 'flinging cowpats at each other', and people would STILL walk around bragging about how they were the best cowpat flinger.
  • Options
    drbaalsdrbaals Member Posts: 161 Bounty Hunter
    edited November 2013

Even just look at this forum less then one page right now of posts from users. Even the population on the forums is going down hill. I will check the game out after the new update mod 2. Roll a ranger like 80% of the population will be doing. LOL there will be tons of rangers running around.
  • Options
    tinukedatinukeda Member Posts: 499 Arc User
    edited November 2013
    So, I never played any MMORPG before ... snip ...

The game (and the fun) is what you make of it. You didn't have to buy all that gear. Did you even try to socialize with the people you grouped with? How about adding them to your friend list and grouping again? How about joining a guild and making friends there? Some of the responsibility of finding the excitement belongs to you.

Hmm, maybe an MMO isn't the right style of game for you?
  • Options
    edited November 2013
    morsitans wrote: »
    The two are not mutually exclusive. You can have an utterly god-awful PvP system and it will still be more talked about and more 'lol popular guild'-based than the PvE side purely because it's competitive. Beating a computer isn't as epeen enhancing as beating some other dude you've never met.

You could make a game featuring epic, honed, finely balanced PvE content requiring top notch communication and out-of-the-box thinking, and PvP featuring 'flinging cowpats at each other', and people would STILL walk around bragging about how they were the best cowpat flinger.

That's just it though, this game lacks any in depth PvE that it practically forces players to find refuge in PvP.
    The sum of PvE is, "burn or bump" you can't bump them, you burn them, you can't burn them, you bump them.
  • Options
    rhoriangelusrhoriangelus Member Posts: 703 Arc User
    edited November 2013
    tinukeda wrote: »
    The game (and the fun) is what you make of it. You didn't have to buy all that gear. Did you even try to socialize with the people you grouped with? How about adding them to your friend list and grouping again? How about joining a guild and making friends there? Some of the responsibility of finding the excitement belongs to you.

Thank you.

I'm always so confused by people who talk about how they level solo, barely speak to anyone and only group out of necessity, complaining about how an MMORPG isn't 'fun'. You want something fun to do by yourself? Go play a single player RPG. The whole point of MMORPGs is the online, social experience. Go RP, join a guild, make friends that run content with you. Learn how to use the Foundry and come up with your own quests or just use it to make yourself a house for your character.

I've levelled up three characters to 60, and like 95% of my time on NW is spent RPing, socializing, and messing around with the Foundry, not running content. Guess what? I'm having fun. If you've experienced everything the game has to offer and are still not having fun, maybe it's just not the game for you.
  • Options
    edited November 2013
    Did you even try to socialize with the people you grouped with? How about adding them to your friend list and grouping again?

I don't get at which point of running dungeon or skirmish I should socialize with other people, i.e. mostly no coordination is needed and everyone is just rushing to that chest in the end of dungeon. I think it is unlikely if I suddenly stop and start discussing weather anyone will add me as friend. Besides, when people get KOed in combat and they press shift+1 and then "Hilfe!" or "A l'aide!" message appears, I'm not sure they even understand english.
  • Options
    tinukedatinukeda Member Posts: 499 Arc User
    edited November 2013
    Yeah, you're bound to get people from foreign countries in a Massive Online game, ya know.

There are still plenty of chances to chat too; if you never had to discuss boss strategies, then I'd be doubtful that you ran all the dungeons successfully. And even if you don't want to chat during a run, what about adding people to your friends list after? And there's still that whole Guild thing too.
  • Options
    sockmunkeysockmunkey Member Posts: 4,622 Arc User
    edited November 2013
    Looks to me like your opinions where made before you even started. And you are just here fishing for confirmation.
  • Options
    edited November 2013
    Looks like there is another game called neverwinter that some people play
  • Options
    melodywhrmelodywhr Member Posts: 4,220 Arc User
    edited November 2013

Thank you.

I'm always so confused by people who talk about how they level solo, barely speak to anyone and only group out of necessity, complaining about how an MMORPG isn't 'fun'. You want something fun to do by yourself? Go play a single player RPG. The whole point of MMORPGs is the online, social experience. Go RP, join a guild, make friends that run content with you. Learn how to use the Foundry and come up with your own quests or just use it to make yourself a house for your character.

I've levelled up three characters to 60, and like 95% of my time on NW is spent RPing, socializing, and messing around with the Foundry, not running content. Guess what? I'm having fun. If you've experienced everything the game has to offer and are still not having fun, maybe it's just not the game for you.
    sockmunkey wrote: »
    Looks to me like your opinions where made before you even started. And you are just here fishing for confirmation.

all of ^ this.

and threads like this one tend to bring out the usual crowds trashing a game that just went live less than six months ago. yes, yes... everyone's allowed to their opinion. but when you've read the same disgruntled complaints from the same people, after a while you start to wonder why they don't move on to something "more fun". i've heard that these people are hanging on hoping it gets better but there's a major difference between someone that is in full support of the game and people that trash it every chance they get.

nobody knows what will hold your interest except you. if this isn't it, it's not that hard to figure out what to do next.
  • Options
    reiwulfreiwulf Member Posts: 2,687 Arc User
    edited November 2013
    I'm slowly levelling my second char to 60, but this time I decided to do it having fun, I joined a light RP guild (first time I try that) and focus on having fun instead of rushing to 60 without enjoying the ride. To me at least it made all the difference.
    Also the foundry is probably the most important part fo the game for me, to be able to create the quests and places I've always dreamed of is my favorite thing to do.
    As others said, don't passively expect the game to entertain you without even trying, you have to find what entertains you, and if the sociabilization part is not for you then maybe you should try better luck with a single player game.
    2e2qwj6.jpg
  • Options
    edited November 2013
    I guess the trick to enjoying this game is to purchase 200$ pack so you feel entitled to playing it.
    melodywhr wrote: »
    but when you've read the same disgruntled complaints from the same people, after a while you start to wonder why they don't move on to something "more fun".
    Considering that there is only one server now, there are fundamental problems with the game, and most players moved on already
    melodywhr wrote: »
    but there's a major difference between someone that is in full support of the game and people that trash it every chance they get.
    I don't see why anyone should be "in full support" of this game because of the only fact that it relies on gambling schemes to maximize revenue profiting from shortcoming of laws covering this area.
  • Options
    melodywhrmelodywhr Member Posts: 4,220 Arc User
    edited November 2013
    ...snip...

thanks for illustrating my point.
  • Options
    kelshandokelshando Member Posts: 674 Arc User
    edited November 2013
    Honestly OP sounds like you just want to complain...

No one can make another like something.. if you are not having fun then go to a different game. No one can talk you into liking something or not. Just man-up and say this isn't for me and go on your way. Nothing we can say that going to change how you enjoy a game or not.
  • Options
    lewstelamon01lewstelamon01 Member Posts: 7,415 Arc User
    edited November 2013
    "Fun" is subjective and solely what you make of it. If you find that whacking people endlessly in PVP is fun, then you'll find the game fun. If you find that standing around in the middle of PE is fun, then you'll find the game fun. If you find that exploring vast areas and dungeons is fun, then you'll find the game fun.

If none of the above is fun, then chances are, you won't find the game fun at all. Just my $.02
    ROLL TIDE ROLL

Great Weapon Fighter: Because when is today not a good day to die?

PC and PS4 player. Proud Guildmaster for PS4 Team Fencebane. Rank 5 Officer for PC Team Fencebane. Visit us at http://fencebane.shivtr.com
  • Options
    colonelwingcolonelwing Member Posts: 1,448 Arc User
    edited November 2013
    Try out foundry missions, they are usually best played at lvl 60. (for maximum rewards/best drops)

• Options
    mehguy138mehguy138 Member Posts: 1,803 Arc User
    edited November 2013
    This game started to be fun when after a few months brake I invited my friend to try to play this once more. And it was fun, we were always on top of score board, we have never lost any arena (only if we had leavers and/or a lot of bots), we have completed almost every dungeon and every skirmish while leveling. Then we farmed GG, it was kinda funny. But yeah, this game is insanely boring at the lvl cap. There's almost nothing to do as the things are very repetitive. The only thing that usually keeps players in game is PvP, a lot of PvP with good rewards, real score board (with damage/healing done, solo kills etc), ratings and a lot of modes. So me and my friend just started to lvl new characters as we got bored. New experience I guess makes kinda "fun". This game is definitely not for solo playing.
    M6 almost drains your soul given how boring it is. (c) joocycuzzzzzz
  • Options
    grimahgrimah Member Posts: 1,658 Arc User
    edited November 2013
    But for other people, anyone who came here looking for NWN3 foundry is the closest thing you will get (like the custom modules people made for NWN). apart from that, its an MMO like all MMOs.
    Creator of the featured survival horror foundry: "The Silence of Haydenwick" Video Review
    and also the featured satirical comedic adventure "A Call for Heroes".