What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

New Paragon Path and Fire Spells

ott0madduxott0maddux Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 204 Bounty Hunter
edited December 2013 in The Library
YES!/10 chars
Post edited by ott0maddux on

Comments

• uurbsuurbs Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users, Neverwinter Knight of the Feywild Users Posts: 449 Bounty Hunter
    edited October 2013
    Apparently they are going to replace the lightning spells with fire spells. That would mean, we would loose Storm Pillar, Sudden Storm, Maelstrom of Chaos, Stormfury, Storm Spell and Eye of the Storm. IIRC, there were some screenshots of tooltips showing Fire adding Chill (which is a bit weird, but whatever), therefore I would switch my Thaumaturge over to the new Fire Paragon Path.

I'm just wondering about the remark, that they are also going to change three feats. The only sense that would make, would be if they just change the capstone feats in the paragon feat tree, IMHO.
    Proud member of Dragon Clan - German Gaming Community
  • pointsmanpointsman Member Posts: 2,327 Arc User
    edited October 2013
    So we're going to get:
    Fire Pillar
    Sudden Fire
    Malestrom of Fire Chaos
    Firefury
    Fire Spell
    Eye of the Fire

:)
  • rabbinicusrabbinicus Member Posts: 1,822 Arc User
    edited October 2013
    I'm curious about how the Rimefire effect will work, looking forward to Preview!
    The right to command is earned through duty, the privilege of rank is service.

• uurbsuurbs Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users, Neverwinter Knight of the Feywild Users Posts: 449 Bounty Hunter
    edited October 2013
    @pointsman, Nah, it would be Maelfire of Chaos, everything else you're right :D
  • tickdofftickdoff Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited October 2013
    pointsman wrote: »
    So we're going to get:
    Fire Pillar
    Sudden Fire
    Malestrom of Fire Chaos
    Firefury
    Fire Spell
    Eye of the Fire

:)

Flaming Pillar
    Sudden Flame
    Maelfire of Chaos (thanks to uurbs)
    Burning Fury
    Incendiary Spell
    Heart of the Flame
  • ianthewizard2012ianthewizard2012 Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 2,142 Arc User
    edited October 2013
    uurbs wrote: »
    Apparently they are going to replace the lightning spells with fire spells. That would mean, we would loose Storm Pillar, Sudden Storm, Maelstrom of Chaos, Stormfury, Storm Spell and Eye of the Storm. IIRC, there were some screenshots of tooltips showing Fire adding Chill (which is a bit weird, but whatever), therefore I would switch my Thaumaturge over to the new Fire Paragon Path.
    IIUC, Master of Flame is a new option. We still keep Spellstorm Mage.

The fire adds Smolder.
    edited October 2013
    [...] We still keep Spellstorm Mage.
    No, "Spellstorm Mage" is a Paragon Path for Powers, which you need to choose at level 30. And as we are going to get a new (second) Paragon Path for Powers, you need to choose between "Spellstorm Mage" and howerver the new fire path will be named.
    edited October 2013
    No, "Spellstorm Mage" is a Paragon Path for Powers, which you need to choose at level 30. And as we are going to get a new (second) Paragon Path for Powers, you need to choose between "Spellstorm Mage" and howerver the new fire path will be named.
    That's correct. We won't loose Spellstorm Mage. It's still there for us to choose.
    edited October 2013
    That's correct. We won't loose Spellstorm Mage. It's still there for us to choose.
    Ah! Sorry, I misunderstood you.
    edited October 2013
    Ah! Sorry, I misunderstood you.
    Sorry for the confusion.
  • ott0madduxott0maddux Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 204 Bounty Hunter
    edited October 2013
    So now i'm waiting for preview to update to test. But reading new powers I have to say they seem disappointing. the new at will is time charged, or in other words useless. The rest just sound meh.
  • ironzerg79ironzerg79 Member, Neverwinter Moderator, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 4,942 Arc User
    edited October 2013
    ott0maddux wrote: »
    So now i'm waiting for preview to update to test. But reading new powers I have to say they seem disappointing. the new at will is time charged, or in other words useless. The rest just sound meh.

You charge the new At-Will to increase the radius and damage of the spell. It's actually really, really cool.
    "Meanwhile in the moderator's lounge..."
    i7TZDZK.gif?1
  • pers3phonepers3phone Banned Users, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited October 2013
    I don't like the new spells and path at all, don't think I can say more than that. Tried to synergize as many spells/feats as possible but my huge hits from Rene path are gone as a fire mage.

Also they basically offer no CC. If they take CC away, then they must buff damage, yet for now I don't think it's true. And no EotS? Common...

I only had limited time in testing these so I might have missed stuff, most probably.
  • grimahgrimah Member Posts: 1,658 Arc User
    edited October 2013
    In its current state its pretty bad. Smoulder is nice, does around 500-600 damage a tick but does not stack and does not crit.

"fire pillar" has a big area effect, charge isnt too bad but it locks onto targets/cannot cast where you want. also its damage is mediocre, does around 600 damage at full charge.

swath of destruction/conflag features are pretty nice. but it depends if they improve smoulder.

New encounter is okay, bugged on mastery so hard to tell.

New daily has a 5 target cap, so useless unless they change that. sucks things up into the middle like singularity but alot faster. Damage is bad too (does less damage than a shard)
    Creator of the featured survival horror foundry: "The Silence of Haydenwick" Video Review
    and also the featured satirical comedic adventure "A Call for Heroes".
  • mickwanmickwan Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users Posts: 43
    edited October 2013
    pers3phone wrote: »
    I don't like the new spells and path at all, don't think I can say more than that. Tried to synergize as many spells/feats as possible but my huge hits from Rene path are gone as a fire mage.

Also they basically offer no CC. If they take CC away, then they must buff damage, yet for now I don't think it's true. And no EotS? Common...

I only had limited time in testing these so I might have missed stuff, most probably.

huh? storm gives cc before? how they take it away? are we playing the same game? i dont even know
  • pers3phonepers3phone Banned Users, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited October 2013
    mickwan wrote: »
    huh? storm gives cc before? how they take it away? are we playing the same game? i dont even know

It's not that the few "storm" features we have (which we used to think they are an integral part of our mages because they were with us for so long) offer CC or not. It's the new features that offer almost none, that's all. And not enough damage compared to storm.
  • jaotutjaotut Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 576 Arc User
    edited October 2013
    I think this new Fire spell is a fail atm, tried it out on the preview shard and have to say it's quite bad. It needs a new paragon tree that makes use of fire and smoulder more.

Oppressor tree makes use of chill. Thuama tree will still get the biggest benefit from chilling cloud as at-will, so how often are you going to use the new at-will that takes so long to charge and only seems to hit 1 target. Renegade tree is mainly going to benefit from Magic Missiles and arcane stacks, the new feat does allow an encounter to gain arcane stacks, but arcane stacks already builds up and disappears so quickly, it doesn't change much.
    Merlin - CW Merlyn - HR Psylocke - TR Black Widow - GWF

Have the gear and skills, but lack the friends to play with? Come and apply for Essence of Aggression. We have been here and strong since beta. (Immature, rude, and arrogant people will not be accepted)
  • astronaxastronax Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited November 2013
    Forgive me for quoting myself, please (it's from nearby thread):
    astronax wrote: »
    Good morning, dear pessimists! ;)
    What can I say... guys, if you have a doubts, why u just won't run a few ACT tests? Everyone who claimed it sucks, did you actually test it, or just tossed few hits on dummies and gave up? ;)

Well, I tested it and I can say if you want really high single-target damage, fire renegade is for you. I tested it with perfect vorpal (I know it kinda sucks for this path - was thinking about feytouched or smth.. cant find appropriate enchantment yet, honestly) and had 30k "fanning the flame" encounter crits. Whole rotation outdamages standart stormspell renegade by around 20% without enchants, and around 5-7% with Vorpals (which, again, sucks for this this path).
    Main idea behind this - 2 new passives + smolder ticks have FAR better synergy with arcane missles and arcane based damage overall, than SS/EotS.
    Though, it sucks beyond bad for everything else, not using arcane missles as at-will, especially for heavy frost builds.. (which is kinda logical, you know, fire + frost xD)

In a nutshell: new path is not THAT bad as you think. It's not OP either, more like balanced in terms of damage. In terms of overall usability it slightly worse than spellstorm (I mean, only one or two specific builds with specific gears work cool with fire, while rest are utter <font color="orange">HAMSTER</font>. And spellstorm just offers more diversity).
    edited November 2013
    astronax wrote: »
    In a nutshell: new path is not THAT bad as you think. It's not OP either, more like balanced in terms of damage. In terms of overall usability it slightly worse than spellstorm (I mean, only one or two specific builds with specific gears work cool with fire, while rest are utter <font color="orange">HAMSTER</font>. And spellstorm just offers more diversity).
    Did you use Renegade or Thaumaturge for your tests? I didn't had time to test a new build yet--was testing the refinement system so far.
  • dragoncrest0dragoncrest0 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 120 Bounty Hunter
    edited November 2013
    Its not bad really. Just wish the fire at will could be kinda like Storm Pillar. Where it soft locks on a target, but you can cast it on no target to put it down in your area.
  • astronaxastronax Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited November 2013
    Did you use Renegade or Thaumaturge for your tests? I didn't had time to test a new build yet--was testing the refinement system so far.

Rene, single target. Thaumaturge could be cool, I guess, but just for pve aoe dps, in combo with 2nd CW, who do the CC stuff for you, since you gonna lack CC skills.
    I dont like thaumaturge myself - wayyy to much of useless feats there.
  • tedebearnctedebearnc Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited November 2013
    Disregard. I think I misunderstood what I read. Maybe I should go to bed. :P
  • xgesarxxgesarx Member Posts: 14 Arc User
    edited December 2013
    I'm still at an intermediate level in order to judge the ability of the Master of the Flame.
    In PvP, I do not think is the top class, while in PvE gets along quite well.
    I dont like the sound of some spell, like Sudden Flame.
    The sound of this spell is annoying, and it seems to me inappropriate. I would have preferred a less annoying and repetitive sound of that sort of scream: I would suggest something related to the crackling of a 'camping' flame, or a 'puff' of wind.
    For the rest, I will let you know my impressions when I get to an appropriate level.
    Bye
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Some people say that you learn from your mistakes: I make so many mistakes every day that surely I will learn soon!